Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My family waited 3 days to watch Hamilton since they were waiting for me being home to join, so I sit down with them... but since the streaming bit-rate looked like poo poo, the black levels on my X900f from either corner of the room are not optimal (they took the couch directly in front of the TV), and the speakers were out of commission since the cat chewed through the wires, I bailed immediately because optimal first-time viewing experience of this thing is more important than these sorry fucks. gently caress.

I should've bought an OLED. And hid my speaker wires better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
May I also say Better Call Saul is a masterpiece?

Does AMC have a streaming service, or do I have to wait a whole rear end year before S5 is on Netflix (because if so I might just buy the whole season on Prime).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Posting to let everyone know that the version of Cinema Paradiso, this forum’s namesake, on HBOMax is cropped to 4:3.

God is dead.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I used to go to the movies like 5 times a year maximum, but ever since Moviepass and later A-List was a thing the theater became my weekly mass.

It'd be a shame if my church disappears, but I sincerely doubt that will happen.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm trying to watch True Detective again, so far I'm still hoping the murderer wins. The first time I quit halfway into the first episode and now I remember why; aside from generally being reminded of the worst parts of growing up in the south, I found it intensely boring at first and I have a personal dislike for the sort of character workshop monologuing into the camera that really only seems to have shown up in the first half of the first episode anyway. Basically just past the point I quit, all the weird fiction and intrigue that actually makes the show interesting picks up. One day I'll learn to watch a whole pilot. I'm digging that intrigue, but man I hate both of these detectives, mostly Woody. I'll keep going and assume that's part of the point

Just remember...

Human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
First thing that always comes to mind is seeing Order Of The Phoenix, and towards the end where one of the professors said "Voldemort has returned" some guy in the back of the theater yelled "Nah, really?!"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus loving christ I just finished episode 3 of season 2. This dude is literally disgusting.

LOL at the teacher giving him the dog as a "last lesson" to him, when it was painfully obvious that he was just telling him to gently caress off and that he has to learn basic responsibility and discipline before reapproaching Islam.

It also fumes me that he claims he "learned nothing" from his Egypt experience.

I'll do a big effort post once I'm finished with the second season.

I haven't hated a main protagonist on a TV show so much since Samantha White in Dear White People.

LOL my cousin almost went out with him.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Aight, gently caress Netflix.

Netflix is raising the price of its most popular plan to $14 today, premium tier increasing to $18

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/29/21540346/netflix-price-increase-united-states-standard-premium-content-product-features

And you'd think this would come with a streaming quality bump, right? Survey says... LOL

Netflix is about to up the compression on videos that are less action-oriented

https://www.imore.com/netflix-increasing-compression-so-why-isnt-apple?fbclid=IwAR3l7bi9AMX8hpsl-RNM-xCEpEtfemqdO3Rt7vKn4I1zWopvFRYyjEuCJJM

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Edward Mass posted:

Here's the thing: everything is going to get more expensive over time. Eventually, we will reach the point where people just want to see the last 15 minutes of the ninth episode of something, and they will find a way to sell it.

Okay, cool.

You don't have to simultaneously do everything in your power to make the experience worse though. Like if I'm paying $18, can the image of whatever 2nd-hand movies and cancelled poo poo they offer be pristine and, like... not very recently reverted to some 2007-size bandwidth because gently caress YOU.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Zwabu posted:

Where’s a good place to start watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia? The beginning? Are there any “best” episodes to get hooked on the show?

There's no Frank and the tone's a little more stiff, but don't listen to anyone who tells you to skip season 1. There's some classic episodes there (Charlie Has Cancer, Underage Drinking: A National Concern, The Gang Finds A Dead Guy).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glottis posted:

I have a soft spot for "The Gang Buys a Boat". Probably watched it about 8 times. It's not quite as vile or insane as many of the episodes but has a ton of quotables.

I mean it's the episode The Implication came from. Of course it's one of the best.

Favorite is still Sweet Dee Gets Audited.

Soooo loving dark lol.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the ugliest show ever made.

Nah, that award goes to The Thick Of It.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I just watched Soul the other day... and I'm suddenly imagining the opening of the movie like an early-90's 2D-drawn Disney Renaissance flick complete with a period-relative needledrop like Terence Trent D'arby's "If You All Get To Heaven" playing over the entire [street>pothole death>Great Beyond escalator>fall into Limbo] sequence.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 19, 2021

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah it annoys me so much lol

The Young Pope was brilliant. The New Pope didn't need to exist imo.

One of the most infuriating, purposeless endings to a season ever.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Collateral posted:

Does it turn out that he did indeed gently caress that lady and the praying was bs?

Just the opposite.

He's prayed back from a coma and then lets himself die midway thru a crowdsurf into St. Peter's.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Awake was the best LOST-ish show because they found out they weren't getting a second season but did have enough time to wrap things up and have a satisfying ending, so it's just this nice one season thing. (Also Jason Isaacs starred in it.)

Oh god that show.

It owned until it thought it needed to be a regular procedural for the Network TV audience for a few episodes too long and the post-cancellation ending of "LOL EVERYONE'S ALIVE FUK U" almost made me launch my remote through the TV.

It was a really cool premise though. I'd like to see someone tackle that idea again (although maybe it'd be better executed in movie form).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Simone Magus posted:

Guys Netflix has a shuffle button now

:iia:

And with that, the Golden Age of TV dies.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jfc most Puerto Ricans are various shades lighter than a brown paper bag. People crying about not showing diversity that doesn't actually exist in that community and turning this out of all things into a culture war battleground is infinitely hilarious.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm as surprised as you

It was refreshing and delightful.

All these shows have been delivering something for me most the MCU have failed to. Loki especially.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
AP Bio's got too much hugging and learning in it. Jumped ship after finishing S1.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Dubs: Every anime post-2000.

Subs: ALL live action content. Most pre-2000 anime.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

withak posted:

Imagine knowing exactly what year one should transition from subbed to dubbed animes.

Pre-Bebop / post-Bebop

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Famethrowa posted:

absolutely. this is the criticism I had after watching Brand New Cherry Flavor. If it was a focused 2 hour revenge flick with body horror I would have loved it, and I seriously enjoyed the first 3 episodes. Instead, it was stretched to the brink with bad cliffhangers and useless characters that led to an ending that I might have accepted from a giallo film, but definitely not after investing nearly 10 hours into it over 4 weeks.

I guess delineating between prestige and serial shows matters. I don't mind mindlessly watching 5 episodes of a monster of the week show. the problem, however, is that every loving show on streaming is attempting to both be "prestige" and "binged". binging Breaking Bad or The Sopranos is wild to me, because how could you possibly absorb the dense themes in every episode

"Themes are for 8th grade papers." - D.B. Weiss & David Benioff

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

A MIRACLE posted:

I like this arcane show but man. gently caress imagine dragons. loving song sucks rear end. All their poo poo sounds exactly the same. Trying not to let imagine dragons ruin the show for me lol

Just know that you are not alone.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

FEEL DA DUNDE-

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Google Butt posted:

ana de armas is hot

Her not having more screen time in No Time To Die is a crime.

She's the real Faye Valentine. unfff

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's just not "nerd" stuff. Like they never go out to clubs or the get togethers they go out to seem to be filled with older adults, they just seem to be very "adult" despite their child-like sense of judgement.

Thank Larry David for being an old curmudgeon. His "Old man yelling at clouds" views on clubs/rock concerts (which he espouses quite a few times in Curb) rubs off on the show, which makes sense when you realize the first time George is seen walking into a club is the Seinfeld/Alec Berg/Jeff Schaffer produced-era (all who were SIGNIFICANTLY younger than Larry).

Granted, said club's existence ended up being a ???, but still.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Got hooked on Succession the second Logan takes a piss on the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Basebf555 posted:

It's completely absurd that Tom Cruise is gonna end up starring in a Mission Impossible film in 2025 and possibly beyond. It's like if Connery had held onto the Bond role from Dr. No all the way to the early 90s, it's just a really really cool thing and I'm glad it happened.

What's even more nuts is that Cruise was 3 years older than Connery when he shot the the 1st M.I. compared to Dr. No.

I blame the lack of lead in the water.