Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I read something that said the story was written 30 years ago, and if it’d come out then I think it would’ve been received better. Unfortunately much better movies have been made since then and it just doesn’t compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I binged Halt and Catch Fire over the last week or so and I can’t stop thinking about it. It was one of those shows that started off strong and just got better as it went. By the end I felt like I’d spent years with those characters, and didn’t want to say goodbye.

Unrelated, but I finally got on some depression meds and it’s nice to be able to feel things about shows and movies again.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Shutter Island is on Netflix, it's a rare Scorsese I haven't seen yet. Any good?

I recall it being pretty decent, but also changing the ending of the book.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Black Dynamite wasn't intentionally lovely. It was a loving, weirdly authentic ode to blaxploitation movies.

The action wasn't bad neither.

Also the comedy, meta or otherwise, is loving top tier.

That movie has so many quotable lines too.

“I threw that poo poo before I came in the room!”

“He says sarcastically”

and the whole Code Kansas scene is a masterpiece. Dammit gonna watch it again this evening

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think the line is "Sarcastically, I'm in charge!", which is immediately preceded by the same guy getting up from a couch and saying "The Militant stood, startled."

It is one of my favorite movies and I'm gonna watch it tonight. When the car pulls up and the dudes cant get out cause its too close to the hill... :discourse:

Yeah, that's it! I could only remember he said the stage direction out loud.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Synchronicity is a good premise that falters under subpar writing. Anthony Mackie does his best, tho. I wouldn’t mind seeing some better writers take another stab at it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

Anthony Mackie is a charisma black hole. Altered Carbon S2 should have been good. Synchronicity should have been good. But he's just no fun to watch.

I’d disagree, knowing performances are subjective. His Marvel work is good, and his chemistry with Sebastian Stan feels natural. You can tell they’re friends. He was fine in The Hurt Locker and We Are Marshall too. To me it’s more reasonable that Synchronic and Altered Carbon season 2 were just poorly written.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I watched the first episode of Jupiter’s Legacy. Seemed like nothing more than a retread of a lot of “adult” superhero tropes, with The Boys-level gore and special effects somewhere between the CW and the MCU. Pass.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh yeah, Doom Patrol was leagues better than Jupiter’s Legacy. Brendan Fraser hasn’t lost a step, and I was also glad to see him back working again.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anybody else catch Cruel Summer on Hulu? Only four episodes out so far but I’m really digging the approach they’re taking telling the story and how it focuses on different characters’ perspectives on what happened.

Can’t stop seeing the dad as Jimmy Olsen tho.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m right there with you. So many shows have trouble sticking the landing, I just hope they were smarter than the Picard showrunners who didn’t even have an ending written when they started filming.

In a way it reminds me of one of Christopher Pike’s YA books, which were extremely my jam back in the early 90s.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

toggle posted:

I’ve just started Halt and Catch Fire, about early 1980s computers/tech. Has Lee Pace and Scoot McNairy in it. In Australia it’s on Binge/Foxtel, I have no idea where you’d find it anywhere else in the world but its an AMC production if that helps

I’m 3 episodes in for a 3 season watch, and so far its pretty good. Mackenzie Davis’ character is starting to give me the shits though.

Halt and Catch Fire quickly became one of my favorite shows of all time. I binged through it over Christmas/New Years, then immediately dove in for a rewatch (and now I’m at the end of season 3 on my third go). It has some of the best character development I’ve ever seen, and that’s all I’ll say. Enjoy the ride!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I was kinda the same. I caught the first episode on a recommendation from a friend a couple years ago and bounced off it. I still had it in my queue and started it up again this past winter.

The first half of season one is definitely going for a Mad Men in the 80s kinda thing, but changes course to be its own thing later. I guess where exactly is up for debate but for me it’s when Boz calls all the code monkeys into his office to get help with Adventure that I was sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm about halfway through season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire. I like it but I am also getting burned out on what seems to be the main driver of the series, which is the characters periodically doing extremely lovely things to one another / characters going way overboard in reacting to circumstances. It just seems very soap-opera like in that regard.

Does that get better or should I just pull the cord and move on to something else?

You’ll probably dislike each of the main characters at one point or another by the end of the series, but it is definitely worth it to take it to the end.