Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the original Mobile Suit Gundam streaming anywhere? I see remakes and sequels and other stuff, but I wanna see the original rear end Gundam. I didn't have the patience to watch it as a kid on Toonami back in the day.

You should definitely watch the original Gundam, but there are no legal streaming solutions.

You can, however, watch Gundam: The MS 08th Team on Hulu and it's real good. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in cartoon robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Void on Netflix

The Void has some of the best practical effects of the past decade. It's an okay movie, but those effects warrant a recommendation.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Suspiria remake is up on Prime and it is loving amazing and good.

Seconded. I think it's even better than the original.

Slaughter your sacred giallo cows.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

For horror fans out there, it looks like the entire (first 8 or so anyway) Friday the 13th movies will be on Prime as of the 31st.

Jason X is available on Netflix right now if you'd just like to skip to the best one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

All of you should just go and watch Chernobyl. It is probably one of the finest pieces of TV I've ever seen.

I've watched four episodes, and it's 4 for 4 at making my jaw drop. I'll be very surprised if there's a better TV show this year.

Watch Chernobyl you guys. Currently only streaming on HBO, but I know some of you probably have a couple weeks left thanks to Game of Thrones.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bort posted:

The first seasonseries of Fleabag is pretty great TV. I love the fourth wall play, and the problems are earnest and immediate, while also being humorous and sort of silly. I'm about to move on to the second series, looking forward to it!

I liked the second series even more than the first!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

What We Do In The Shadows the series is on Hulu now.

I'm six episodes deep and it's quite good. Not as good as the movie, but worth a watch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Paper Kaiju posted:

If your specific flavor of anime is tearjerkers, I recommend Violet Evergarden, also on Netflix. After a couple episodes of setup, it becomes one emotional gut punch after the other, especially in the middle when the episodes are more self-contained and focused on the individual clients.

While we're talking about anime, I'd like to point out that Land of the Lustrous is pretty good. It's CG, and that's a dealbreaker for a lot of folks, but whatever complaints I have with the visuals is soothed over by the story and characterizations. It's a very light body-horror tale about living gemstones that are hunted by goo Buddhas from the moon.

Here's a three-minute sequence from early in the first episode that gives you a glimpse at the visuals and also sets up the core conflict between the clumsy, lackadaisical Phosphophyllite and her ten-foot tall teacher, who is at a loss to find a use for her.

The entire first season is streaming free on Amazon Prime. It's only twelve episodes and ends on a cliffhanger and there probably won't be a second season because no one watched it. Enjoy!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lodge 49 has so much heart. I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm about to move to Long Beach.

Been wanting to see this and didn't realize it was streaming, thanks for the heads up

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Hey,

feedmyleg posted:

Please tell us video store stories.

Also, one of the dumbest things about World War Z is that the zombies don't even eat people. They just bite to spread the disease and then move on to the next victim. That movie is so loving lame.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Watching season 1 of the terror and this show is loving awesome.

The Terror is amazing. I have no idea how it's still so obscure.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

S1 was indeed great. How is S2?

I've heard middling things but haven't had a chance to check it out for myself.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Best movie (not TV show) you've seen on Netflix or Prime recently, "sight unseen"? You just randomly clicked on something without knowing much about it.

I've got two.

I watched Vault of Horror (1973) because it was listed on Shudder's "Essentials" page. Turns out that it's the sequel to the original Tales from the Crypt. It's a five part anthology with a good mix of gruesome and goofy parts.

I can't remember why I watched Let the Corpses Tan (2017), but it was a very good decision. It's probably the best thing I've watched in the past few months. It's about a small gang of criminals hiding out with their hippy friends in the desert after robbing an armored truck. It's all going pretty well until two bike cops show up investigating a missing kid and get into a standoff with the gang that quickly turns into a war of attrition. It's not The Raid, but it's smart and tense and has more style than anything else you've seen this year. It's streaming on Prime and I highly recommend it.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 17, 2019

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

I thought I was completely over the zombie genre, but One Cut of the Dead was hilarious and drat near perfect.

Was lucky enough to see this in a theater, and it was a real crowd pleaser. Only cost $27,000 to make, which is a real testament to the value of a clever script and a talented crew.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Invitation gets a pass on its made-for-TV cinematography by having a final shot so good it'll stick with you for years.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Disney+ is live.

I'm watching an early episode of The Simpsons as a test, and the image is cropped so that it fits on a wide screen TV without black bars. Great start.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

Netflix dumped MST3k I'm dumping it after I watch the Irishman tomorrow

Friendly reminder that Twitch's 24/7 MST3K channel is up and running.

http://www.twitch.tv/mst3k

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

I mean no more Daredevil, luke cage, black mirror isn't doing it for me anymore and they dumped MST3k I'm done

Don't misunderstand: I'm on the verge of canceling my Netflix, too. I just want to make sure everyone has easy access to MST3K.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ammanas posted:

watched sweetheart last night. its dull, boring, and cheap. the three actors are awful. if you like uncompelling syfy-budget monster movies, watch it. otherwise skip

I liked it. It's a tight little 90 minute creature feature that (one bad puppet shot aside) looks better than its budget. The reveal of the monster is a genuinely great shot, even though I felt like it was a little telegraphed.

It's not an amazing film, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Wow, must be real nice to have a job with a water cooler and the ability to talk around it.

Speaking as a person whose coworkers won't shut up about The Mandalorian:

Not really.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Midsommer was really good, but Hereditary is a modern classic imo. It’s just in a different league.

I can get behind this. I love Midsommar and I think everyone should watch it, but Hereditary is one of the most harrowing goddamn things I've seen in years.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah they really aren't comparable as movies except they're both horror. Both are great for different reasons

Both came from the same director, which invites the comparison. But yes, both movies have different aims, and both are amazing. Totally worth your time.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Friendly reminder that the "gore cut" of Tammy and the T-Rex is now streaming on Shudder.

https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1217143966711386112

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I'll probably catch poo poo for this but I did not like one cut of the dead. Turned it off about 20 minutes before the end. I can see the appeal but I just didn't find it very interesting either before or after the thing.

Respect for doing something different though.

I just recommended this to you in the horror thread like five minutes ago, so... Whoops.

One Cut of the Dead was one of my best theater experiences of last year. There were only about six people in the entire theater, but everyone was wheezing with laughter. None of us were prepared for what that movie eventually becomes.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Jolo posted:

Saulnier's earlier movie Murder Party is also on Netflix for streaming. It's a comedy with horror elements so pretty different tonally from Green Room and Blue Ruin but I still really enjoyed it and recommend it. The basic idea is that a lonely guy finds an invitation on the street for a "Murder Party" on Halloween. So he makes a costume and heads over to find that all of the pretentious art students who set up the party have decided that they're going to murder him, but not just any murder... an Avant Garde Murder that will have people talking.

Murder Party is charming as hell. I'd recommend it to anyone who liked Tucker and Dale Versus Evil.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

*deep inhale*

Thoroughbreds

RUUUUUUULES!

Yes. Yes it does. It's the most underappreciated film of the past few years, no contest.

Everyone watch Thoroughbreds.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

I know everyone's already watched Fleabag but I only just found out it's hilarious.

You should also check out Killing Eve. Phoebe Waller Bridge doesn't star, but she's the lead writer and her sense of humor is all over that show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Possession definitely got a domestic US release at some point because I rented the physical disc from a local rental place just last year.

(Yes, I have a local rental place. Yes, it's kind of a weird thing in 2020.)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Is Star Trek's Economic System streaming for free anywhere in the US? Really thinking I should check it out since it's generating so much discussion.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Field Mousepad posted:

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood....not really good.

I disagree.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

teagone posted:

I just watched Furie. Movie owns.

I'll second this. Very cool action movie, sadly overlooked on its American release.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

err posted:

In The Platform, was the child sent up to show that a child was born within their system, even when children entering the program was prohibited? I didn't really understand the ending.

I thought the child was what the actress brought with her. Sending her up is a statement that their struggle was to ensure a better future for the next generation. It's the ultimate selfless act in an experiment designed to promote selfishness. It's also a bit of a joke about social mobility.

I think The Platform is a cool movie, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. A little bit of Cube and a whole lot of Karl Marx.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Good Place is one of the few shows that I would watch as soon as a new episode was available on Hulu. The first two seasons were its best, but it was pretty drat good from start to finish.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

HBO will be moving a lot of its content out from behind a paywall starting tomorrow.

https://news.avclub.com/hbo-is-making-hundreds-of-hours-of-its-content-free-to-1842651167

quote:

Full TV series:

Ballers (5 Seasons)
Barry (2 Seasons)
Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
Succession (2 Seasons)
True Blood (7 Seasons
Veep (7 Seasons)
The Wire (5 Seasons)

Docuseries and Documentaries

The Apollo
The Case Against Adnan Syed
Elvis Presley: The Searcher
I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley
Jane Fonda In Five Acts
McMillion$
True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
United Skates
We Are The Dream: The Kids Of The MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

Films:

Arthur
Arthur 2: On The Rocks
Blinded By The Light
The Bridges Of Madison County
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Empire Of The Sun
Forget Paris
Happy Feet Two
Isn’t It Romantic?
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Midnight Special
My Dog Skip
Nancy Drew And The Hidden Staircase
Pan
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
Red Riding Hood
Smallfoot
Storks
Sucker Punch
Unknown

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like Amazon gave me 2 free rentals and now everything is like $0.01 off. Probably would've picked a different second movie if I'd known that.

Amazon has been giving away $3 digital credits for choosing "no rush shipping" and those deductions are shown on the item page.

Check your email to see if you got some kind of credit lately.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone watched the Prime show Tales from the Loop? How is it?

The early reviews I've seen are positive. I'm a big fan of Simon Stahlenhag so I'm a bit hesitant to start it. I'm afraid it will change how I view his art.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of the stuff I've watched:

Classics:
Bride of Re-Animator
Creepshow 2
Escape From New York
Halloween
Phantasm 1-3
The Changeling
The Exorcist
The Fog

Good Anthology:
VHS 2
Body Bags
The House that Dripped Blood

Fun Schlock:
Blood Rage
Chopping Mall
Dog Soldiers
Jack Frost
Still/Born
Summer of '84*

Gems, Old and New:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night*
Audition
Christmas Evil*
Exorcist 3
Maniac*
November
One Cut of The Dead
In The Mouth of Madness*
Society
Train to Busan

Weird and Wonderful:
Tammy & The T-Rex*
Tetsuo The Iron Man
Liquid Sky*
Mandy*

Docs and Non-Horror:
King Cohen
Pusher
Threads

I'd like to add Cursed Films to this list. It's a documentary series about horror movies with a reputation for troubled productions and, in some cases, a supernatural influence that extends beyond the film. It could've been a sensationalist Ghost Hunter mess, but it's a very reasoned and skeptical show that tries to debunk the notion that there's anything paranormal around these films.

It's a new series and there are only three episodes at the moment (The Exorcist, The Omen, and Poltergeist), but I'm giving it a recommendation based on what little I've seen so far.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

The weirdest seinfeld meltdown lol

Pretty sure Michael Richards still holds that title.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Silky Slim posted:

Not sure if you've seen them yet but Cybertracker 1 & 2 are on Prime. Don 'The Dragon' Wilson's Terminator knockoffs. Cybertracker 2 in particular is a pretty non-stop action movie and any time you see someone driving a car there's a pretty non-zero chance that it'll fly into the air and explode while barrel rolling.

edit: I've seen a TON of trash on Prime over the years. It's such an incredible resource for zero-budget trash. A recent-ish one that I 'enjoyed' was Apocalypse Female Warriors which is no longer on Prime but worth tracking down somehow. The trailer for it whips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eRWwEUprk

Apocalypse Female Warriors was directed by Len Kabasinski, who some folks might know from Red Letter Media. If you enjoyed Apocalypse Female Warriors, Prime also has Kabasinski's Fist of the Vampire and Curse of the Wolf. I think you'll enjoy them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I signed into Twitter just to retweet this.