Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I noticed that the entire Studio Ghibli collection is on HBO Max and started watching them for the first time. My 60+ mom actually loved Spirited Away. What should I go for next? I also saw Princess Mononoke and enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
ok so all of them, I suppose that's a good problem to have, thanks everyone

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone else watching Raised By Wolves? It's so loving bonkers, I love it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I still like The Mask. It's so over the top and as far as I remember isn't problematic like Ace Ventura. Granted I was loving obsessed with The Mask as a kid.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
also re: Raised By Wolves, in the first episode I knew it was going to be the fun kind of crazy when they reveal that the remaining humans are crusades-style (or maybe WH40K?) religious zealots.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I liked Teenage Bounty Hunters probably because I think I just like shows with young characters that are smart in a realistic way but still do stupid poo poo? Like Sex Education. This show is sillier though, obviously. It's "meta" enough to be fun for me, but not obnoxiously Ryan Murphy cheeky. If that makes sense. The backdrop is conservative Christianity and it's used as a playful prop but not obnoxiously so.

Nihonniboku posted:

Basically, my problem with Lovecraft Country is that absolutely nothing is shocking or interesting because they try and make every thing that happens shocking or interesting to the point that none of it feels like it matters. Something crazy happens, and you're just forced to shrug and say, "oh okay."

I'll still be watching the new episode tonight.

This individual gets it. No stakes when there are no rules. To me it's what the word "pulpy" sorta means.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Haunting of Hill House is my favorite Netflix series, period, but I might be mildly obsessed. It felt so different from any other horror anything I’ve seen. Obviously I’m a bit anxious for Bly Manor.

Schitt’s Creek S6 is finally on netflix, in case nobody else mentioned it. Totally holds up with the rest of the seasons, but you probably knew that.

Raised By Wolves finale was at least as weird as the weirdest thing in the show so far. Yay.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Aww. I still enjoyed it and it deserved a conclusion.

edit: Glow S3. Took way to long to press the button.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Man, the Watchmen TV series is so good. Give it a try. One of my favorite limited (?) serieseses.

And also yes The Boys is great and horribly gratuitously violent at the same time. It's practically live action Itchy and Scratchy in terms of creatively disgusting gore. The acting from some characters is surprisingly good, though - Homelander in particular. He was fantastic in the finale.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, he is Australian

Billy Butcher is English and Karl Urban is a New Zealander, but close enough

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

I thought season 1 of The Boys was a chore to get through because it didn't do any of what it was trying to do spectacularly well, but everyone keeps on raving about season 2.

If you did not like season 1 you are unlikely to like season 2. Season 2 is more streamlined because you just get to experience the universe rather than having to figure out what it is, but it’s otherwise similar. People are raving because it’s popular and crazy enough to spark conversation, not because it’s universally enjoyable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
So far Bly Manor is definitely not “scary” for the first few episodes. Spooky, maybe, but you don’t have to worry about jump scares or horrifying imagery. In case that was holding anyone back.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yes, but the spooky stuff was spookier. So far Bly Manor is more like a long shot for several seconds then maybe something moves slightly in the shadows. Hill House had poo poo IN YOUR FACE plus lots of background stuff that just wasn’t acknowledged.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Started watching The Magicians again and I’m enjoying it even more now. Probably just the right kind of dark, asinine escapism for 2020.

Also rewatched Hill House and yeah... it’s still one of my favorite, if not my very favorite, streaming shows of all time. The BNL / Two Storms episode combo just blows me away.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Echoing the Queen's Gambit is amazing thoughts. My parents asked me like 4 times what the lead actress's name is, and I told them she's been pretty much doing great roles for years. Gonna be Furiosa. Gonna be the lead in the next Edgar Wright film. She's going to BLOW UP. (Anya Taylor-Joy)

air- posted:

HBO max is my most used streaming service lately, they recently added Cradle 2 The Grave and the Lethal Weapon series... the action section has a lot of good stuff and I recently watched Jackie Chan's Police Story as well

HBO Max has the most content I've watched since all these services coexisted. Rick and Morty S4 just showed up. Doom Patrol. Watchmen (and every other HBO show, GoT, etc). All the Studio Ghibli. It's a good set.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
For those considering Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun: See if you enjoy or can tolerate this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mt9Ogzi_Y

The show has pretty much that level of exhausting nonsense the whole time. I personally loved it. Gets better upon rewatches. I enjoy that they make some effort to (a) reference little bits from the youtube show and (b) carry stupid bits throughout the series. It's not very long but I want more.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Turambar posted:

I don't think this is part of the Netflix series (I've seen the first 4 eps), but I think it's a better introduction than the Christmas Pud clip.

Yeah that's definitely a better bit, I chose the Christmas Pud because it's particularly annoying and makes a decent test to see if you can handle the show.

Honestly the entire final sequence of the series with Tawny Newsome made me almost choke laughing.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
For those following along, I have zero taste, so of course I already watched Christmas Chronicles 2. It's a pretty fun kids movie just like the first. Worth watching if you just like Kurt Russell. Odd concepts of elf violence.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

I have a Roku TV and a PS5 for streaming and needless to say, I am not a happy camper when it comes to HBO right now.

cmon, everyone has a chromecast or a cast-enabled TV, right?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I have a soft spot for "The Gang Buys a Boat". Probably watched it about 8 times. It's not quite as vile or insane as many of the episodes but has a ton of quotables.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I mean, perhaps this is just a coincidence, but both the Premier Access releases seem designed to court the Chinese crowd, and Soul isn't something they'd care about at all, for reasons.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Hah, I would say the opposite, and the imperfection is what makes the show great. But yes the video quality is poo poo for the first few seasons.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

Finally watched the expanse and that show is good poo poo.

Good timing, S5 comes out Wednesday (or at least the first 3 episodes). For me that's a show that seemed like some CW-style nonsense until suddenly it wasn't and I was completely engrossed.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tall lady was tall.

I appreciated the fact that they didn't even attempt to pretend that the lead actor was close to her height.

Tenet is silly as hell but I really enjoy it after watching it a few times. I'd have been frustrated if I saw it in theaters though, one viewing wasn't enough for me to even get all of the major plot points. Also needs very loud and bassy sound.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
"History of Swear Words" on Netflix is pretty amusing especially if you want to see some more Cage swearing, despite probably targeting 13 year old boys. It's short.

edit: someone on imgur described it as "basically VH1" so yeah

Glottis fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2021

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

I think Netflix chooses between multiple thumbnails based on what they think you'll be interested in.

Yep. Since I tend to watch almost everything Netflix doesn't know WTF to do with me. Might all flip over to the hot girl shot because I watched something that horny dudes watch, then the next day flip to all men because I watched something popular with middle-aged women. It's fun.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Search Party is pretty great. 9/10ths of the people on the show just suck (as in they are well acted as characters that are totally up their own asses), it strikes a dark tone that makes me uncomfortable, and yet I'm really enjoying it.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2021

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

College Rockout posted:

Hamilton was also almost impossible to get tickets for unless you won a lottery or paid insane resell prices. My impression of the whole thing was people wouldn't shut up about it to show off that they had a grand+ to drop on tickets.

Yeah, this is a big part of it. Eventually it got to a point where you HAD to see it and once you did you of course had to have a strong reaction. People overreacted positively, which makes people overreact negatively, etc.

I personally loved it and reacted positively but it's also exactly the hokey elementary school rap challenge it's accused of being. I, being an enlightened opinion holder, feel like I rarely meet others that are even like that. They either LOVE it or HAAAAATE it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I am also the Wandavision target market. So far I wouldn't recommend it to other people yet, since very little has actually happened, and it might not get good. But I'm enjoying it.

Re: Search Party, my favorite scene so far is the parents on the talk show, so pathological. The show is mesmerizing at times.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Is there some kind of never ever thing with a Dredd sequel? We all know Karl Urban would jump back in right away even 20 years from now.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

GD_American posted:

Wasn't Predators the one where they juiced up a scene for the trailer and were totally unapologetic about it?

e- yep

http://www.mtv.com/news/2436977/predators-producer-robert-rodriguez-addresses-missing-trailer-shot-in-theatrical-release/

"Adrien Brody's know-it-all, rear end-kicking merc Royce gets a full-body temporary tattoo, courtesy of a buttload of Predator gunsights"
Given that the video didn't load, it took me way too long to figure out what the gently caress they were trying to describe.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I actually really enjoyed Zack Snyder's Justice League. I'm sure it is improved by the original being such an incomprehensible pile of poo poo. If you are able to watch the entire director's cut of Watchmen without falling asleep or losing interest, I think you'll love it, but I consider that a pretty high bar even for comic book nerds.

Compared to the original, this one actually feels like a DC universe rather than a movie with zero suspense about Superman returning while a bunch of superheroes do jack poo poo against Steppenwolf. Without going into spoilers, there's a LOT of new stuff, changed stuff, stuff that was clearly supposed to be in there to explain things originally and was cut. Cyborg actually matters. It's far more violent and has some seriously brutal deaths (not like horror movie gore, but definitely action R). More characters. Pretty much anything that might be considered "quippy" is gone.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is great so far. I did feel like many of the plot points were almost identical, in order, from TWS, but that was probably intentional. Dropship, conflict with Batruc, Smithsonian scene, etc. I also

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yeah, hence my caveat about who other than me might enjoy it. Most people won't finish it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Old hat at this point but I finally watched Nomadland on Hulu and it was much better than I expected. If you are feeling lonely it might intensify those feelings, though. The movie almost felt like a documentary more than anything (in a good way).

Heavy_D posted:

Wow, good news for everyone except Daniel Craig, who needs to start work on a third accent...

I thought we all agreed that his hokey-rear end accent was amusing. Unfortunately there are real humans that really sound like that.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched Thunder Force. It's about what you'd expect. Just a goofy movie with functionally zero stakes in every scene but some amusing bits / characters. If you like Melissa McCarthy you'll like it, but nothing I'd go out of my way to recommend. I think the IMDB rating is overly harsh but that site never takes well to comedies that aren't absolutely stellar.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
do any of you actually pay for Peacock and recommend it?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just watched episode 2 of The Nevers. Could theoretically get better, but you can read the disdain in this Vulture recap (if you don't mind spoilers) and also see how cluttered the story already is, 2 episodes in: https://www.vulture.com/article/the-nevers-recap-season-1-episode-2-exposure.html. I don't recommend it now but I'll probably keep watching.

Also finished Made for Love.. There are likable elements but the story never got good enough to me to overcome the annoyance of everything being told out of order.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lost was good for 1 season before the writers became completely unable to restrain themselves and ended up creating plots via madlibs that make no sense or never see resolution.

In a more recent review with Damon Lindelof, he basically explains that he was somewhat forced (read: money was dangled in front of him) to continue to lengthen the series, even though they didn't really have the story for it, and it shows. I think that experience is part of why Watchmen was always framed as a one-and-done for him.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

kaworu posted:

It's actually kind of even more hosed than that - here's an article that kinda goes over the interview I think you were talking about :

https://collider.com/damon-lindelof-lost-original-ending-plan/

It's really fascinating to hear about this stuff, and what actually went down. It seems pretty clear that if Lindelof had his way the show would have ended in 3-4 seasons at the most.

yep that's it, thanks for finding it! Damon actually seems like a cool dude overall, and I'm interested to see what he puts out next, despite finding Lost a clusterfuck.

tweet my meat posted:

Rotten Tomatoes is the only site that accurately quantifies the objective level of quality for a given movie. I don't watch any movies below 70% because that's a failing grade. Only tool you need to determine if a movie is good or bad.

I know you're joking but honestly people would benefit from going back to the old timey method, which is finding a single critic that has the same taste as them and just following their advice, rather than depending on some weird amalgam of reviews that is usually misinterpreted

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Aglet56 posted:

I thought that the pitch of Rotten Tomatoes was that even though it just aggregates thumbs up/down reviews, the score that it produces works as a qualitative grade; 90% movies are supposed to be better than 80% which are better than 70%. My memory is that it came out around the same time that Nate Silver was getting his start with the 2008 election and everybody was starting to get excited about Big Data and the wisdom of crowds and all that poo poo.

Not really. The higher the RT%, the more mass appeal a movie has, but it doesn't mean you'll like it more. A very polarizing movie could be one that you absolutely love but only gets a 50% on there because half of the critics hated it.

RT = average of how often people generally like it (pass/fail)
Metacritic = average of how much people like it

Neither are objective or can directly predict how you will feel. Hence my comment earlier about finding an individual critic that enjoys the same kinds of movies to the same degree as you.

Simone Magus posted:

I started watching The Other Two on HBO max and it's phenomenal. Comedy about the struggling older siblings of a teen who is "legally distinct from Justin Bieber". It's got a lot of goon favorite actors, such as Ken Marino, Wanda Sykes, Molly Shannon, Richard Kind.

Just destroyed the whole season, it's amazing. I feel like it's got somewhat of Party Down vibes, but maybe that's just the Ken Marino element.

Drew Tarver is great and I hope he continues to get roles. His podcast appearances are fantastic. "Donny Gary" on Comedy Bang Bang kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

alllllll right Deadite