Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Filthy Hans posted:

Wu Assassin was alright, it felt like they've filmed one vague show and are going to cut it up a few different ways for different target markets. A lot of the actors in it have done much better work in previous shows, so I think a lot of what I found lacking is due to production decisions or poor directing. Nobody does a bad job but the guy who played Uncle Six (Byron Mann) was much better in Altered Carbon, Kevin Durand was comparatively flat, the Scottish villain (Tommy Flanagan) lacks the energy he's put into basically every other role I've seen him in before, and so on. The script itself is pretty basic, I'm assuming it was written to be translated easily for multiple foreign markets. Does a flatter affect make it easier to translate characters for different markets too? Maybe all of this was by design. The fight choreography was quite good by tv standards but Iko Uwais is capable of so much more, so it felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

The writing in general just wasn't very good. I give it extra points for having my favorite kung fu movie trope: literally everyone knows martial arts. Sous chef. Heroin addict. Canadian Cop. Random thugs. Even the rednecks at Cafe Racist seemed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've watched 20 minutes of the Dark Crystal show and it has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

20 minutes in is about when I bailed. I'll probably go back because I love The Dark Crystal and it looks good overall, but the Gelflings both look and sound terrible.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

teagone posted:

There's a lot more gore, violence, and sex in the first two episodes of Carnival Row than I was expecting. The trailer I saw a little while ago did not give off that kinda vibe lmao. Kinda digging this.

That's every prestige show these days. Gotta have tits and swears and blood to prove it's "serious TV"

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

InterrupterJones posted:

Not sure what everyone else thinks of it, but I quite enjoyed Carnival Row. I don't know if it's based on any prior source material, but for my small scope of reference, the closest I could think was if they took the concept of Bright and actually made it good.

Yeah, I also liked it even though the mandatory gratuitous nudity combined with the subject matter make it seem like someone on the production team has some interesting fetishes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Ignis posted:

Here's a feature-film length reel with everything coming to Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FRDaHnITI

Maaaan, I ain't watching a 3 hour video just to find out if they're gonna have Mr. Boogedy on there or not

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Martman posted:

Every garbage-tier video game movie sequel should have Annihilation as its subtitle. Worked for Mortal Kombat... I'm ready for Super Mario Bros.: Annihilation

I think they should go in a different direction: Annihilation 2: Super Mario Bros.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

precision posted:

Patrick Wilson is some kind of megastar of the semi low budget thriller/horror world. He's basically a modern Julian Sands

He's like a budget Michael Shannon, which is still pretty good!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Is there a specific theory it's pushing? I feel like all the main suspects have been analyzed to death already.

Everyone already knows Ted Cruz is the Zodiac killer, so what is even the point

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

precision posted:

I had always heard DeVito came onboard just because he was a fan and he's rich enough to do whatever he wants

That's bog-standard industryspeak. "I've been a fan since the beginning" "I've read the comics since I was a kid" "I've been a fan of their work for years" No one in Hollywood has ever worked with someone they've never heard of or on a project that wasn't a labor of love.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

nate fisher posted:

The best Ferris Bueller TV show was Parker Lewis Can’t Lose!

I remember nothing about that show other than "synchronize Swatches" and Larry Kubiak.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I like about Hannibal is it doesn't really try to be realistic. The serial killers are all weird death artists, the visuals are very stylized, there's not really the pretense of gritty realism most shows like this have.

Yeah, I really liked that the show just took the absurd notions that people have about serial killers because of movies and TV shows and then just dials it up like 5000% but still has all the characters play it completely straight.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

The MSJ posted:

It starts out as a procedural about investigators armed with a surveillance AI. Then, as the show progresses, the AI achieves sentience. At that point it becomes very good

I can't speak to what it eventually became, but it started out as a gritty reboot of Early Edition.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should revive it and just call it "Stories from the Gaveyard" or something.

It can be hosted by The Mausoleum Attendant.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't get what was so great about the original Witches.

Anjelica Huston completely elevates what would otherwise be standard kids fare of the era.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Famethrowa posted:

Just watched the first Rambo for the first time ever, and I'm retroactively offended it turned into that. It was legit a really moving and meaningful movie and focusing on the violence feels so misguided.

It was so infamous, that it became fodder for parody for all time. Basically every "complete tonal shift sequel" joke or goof you've ever seen in your entire life has been clowning on Stallone.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
The worst part of Hamilton is that it gave Lin-Manuel Miranda the fame and clout to help get the PROMESA act passed, which in addition to forcing brutal austerity on Puerto Rico, also personally enriched his father.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's the best thing about Dredd. It's just simply "another day" in the job. The apartment complex was just another apartment complex nothing more.

I just wished they'd leaned a little harder into Dredd as a violent arm of the fascist state. I spent most of the movie thinking/hoping that it would turn out that the drug Ma-Ma was peddling was just caffeine.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Nihonniboku posted:

The first episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is up on Disney+. Definitely a very different tone from Wandavision, more akin to The Winter Soldier movie in tone. Solid start, although it was more just setting things up for the rest of the limited series.

Is it just The Falcon and the Snowman, but with superheroes like I hoped it was?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

DorianGravy posted:

I started watching Invincible and, man, it sure is something. It can sometimes be a little hard to watch, but it's definitely keeping my interest. The demon detective is cool.

Thought you were talking about that Marky Mark football movie and got real confused.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I feel a little cautious about pursuing this.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has anyone seen 9 Perfect Strangers? It looks like trash but I love Michael Shannon. Please advise.

I think it's cool they'd come back for a movie after 8 seasons, but I just don't think Michael Shannon has the comedy chops of Mark-Linn Baker.