Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watched Timetrap on a whim on Netflix. Surprisingly enjoyable, if a bit cheesy at parts. If you like the time travel genre you might enjoy it. It has some cool ideas.

I walked in just as someone else started this and it was a blast. I HATE time travel plots unless they are well done but this one wasn't really about the time travel until the end. I loved the reveal when they realize the flashing light wasn't days and nights.

veni veni veni posted:

Kind of interested in watching another season of AHS. I haven’t watched Roanoke, cult or apocalypse.

FWIW my options on previous seasons are
Murder house m-dumb but fun
Asylum-great
Coven-terrible
Freak show-couldn’t even finish it
Hotel- lost interest after 3 episodes

Any of the newer ones worth the time?

I just went back and finished Cult, originally quit on ep5. It's awful all the way through except the last 2 episodes are incredible and Evan Peters was as intense and convincing as any actor I've seen. The story is up and around, over and under, this way and that, but Peters is worth watching. Roanoke isn't very good either. Apocalypse is okay, it starts well but spends too much time sniffing its own farts. I find AHS easier to watch with someone so we can make fun of how lousy it is.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Time Travel movies never hold up under scrutiny, especially the endings, but Time Trap did a better job than most B movies of developing real suspense and tension while avoiding a lot of common tropes. The acting was good considering it's low budget and inexperienced cast. I also liked that almost every character had their time to shine and it wasn't a vehicle for just one actor. It probably helped that I went into it blind, knowing nothing about it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm sure we can agree that BB5 is the worst season of the series. It had some amazing individual episodes but both viewings I was ready for it to end long before it did.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In The Tall Grass would have been better if they cut about 10-12 minutes to up the pacing. It still would have been middling but better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Honest Thief posted:

In the tall grass is from the cube director so I'm a bit letdown over the reviews

The reviews are interesting because they tell you a lot about a person. Many are bitching that it didn't make sense and was confusing. Others are trying to interpret the rock as being Jesus or some other Christian icon and the field as purgatory. Some describe it as a time loop. The dad says the brother chose all options and all led to his death which I interpret as the rock causing a space time distortion (for lack of a better term) with many or perhaps all possible scenarios playing out simultaneously for all characters. We the observers are moving through alternate universes along with the characters so the story we see is inconsistent. I choose to believe the rock is a remnant of the primordial universe from before our reality was set.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just wait until everyone rediscovers That Darn Cat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

old.flv posted:

anything good spooky or horror movies streaming on netflix/prime?

Hatchet movies are on Prime. Also checkout Microwave Massacre if in the mood for some cheese.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nate fisher posted:

Just saw Insatiable season 2 is out. I hope it is off the wall as season 1.

Just started but it's not trying so hard to be edgy and is just being a good show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Headcount was a cool idea, the execution was mediocre, but it was worth watching.

Caught pieces of The Heretic plus the last 15 minutes, which made me glad I didn't watch more if it. Not worth a minute of time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I care deeply whether King is influenced by other popular media, it's either a wholly original work like GOT or utter trash, this is no joke people.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

Has anyone else watched Daybreak on Netflix? Just finished it and I found myself really enjoying it.

I was entertained the whole way through but like many Netflix series aimed at young audiences it tries too hard, has a very Nickolodeon-ish feel, pads out a thin story with lots of character centric episodes (not necessarily a bad thing) and the ending did the GOT/Bran thing where the least valuable character inexplicably seizes power. On the upside it's exciting, has good characters, mostly excellent casting, and is easy to watch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I finished watching it and while I did enjoy it for the most part it also reaffirmed my belief that they should've stopped with one season. Like, it was good and all but I think the new stuff just ends up diluting it overall. It felt like an extended epilogue that mostly retreads the same ground but in a more somber way. The three main actors were all fantastic though, Alex Lawther in particular. Alyssa's mom was also really great. Pretty much everyone was actually, even the minor characters with one scene.

re; End of the F--- World
It felt like a natural progression of S1 but was overwhelmingly sad and I missed the playfulness from S1. The new character was a broken, sad, person, and we have 2 of those already so did we need another? I don't think so. I hope they really do end it with S2.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm surprised no one made a Disney+ thread, or did they and I missed it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched The Devil Next Door, a crime doc on Netflix about John Demjanjuk, a Ukrainian immigrant to America who was accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard, Ivan the Terrible. It's an interesting story and the doc presents both sides fairly while keeping the outcome (if you don't know it) a guessing game. I suggest not googling the guy and watching it cold but to give the gist, the KGB accuses Demjanjuk of being Ivan and turns over evidence to OSI. His citizenship is revoked and he is tried in Israel for war crimes as Ivan the Terrible. For every piece of evidence he is Ivan, there is an opposing piece of evidence suggesting he is not or at least discrediting the prosecution's evidence. The trial goes back and forth like this for a year.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sounds awesome.

I have more stuff on my Netflix watchlist than I'll ever get around to.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched The King and enjoyed it. The only performance that really stood out was the guy playing King Charles, I would give his name if not on mobile, the rest were adequate. I briefly researched the historical accuracy of Agincourt and the real version (which is hotly contested) was more interesting than the movie version which omits that the English were trying to get back home and had no choice but to fight the lopsided battle. Events after the battle are extremely condensed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ruddiger posted:

gently caress you Amazon Prime. Me and my roommate just started Battlestar Gallactica (he’s never seen it), we JUST finished S1 and watched the 1st ep of S2 and today we were going to watch the next one and now Prime’s charging 3 bucks per episode.

gently caress you Amazon Prime.

According to Justwatch, S2 isn't streaming anywhere. Amazon has the Bluray set for $40, cheaper than the dvd set right now.

I was having trouble watching Naked Gun 2-1/2. It was free on Prime, added it to my list and the next day it wasn't free anymore. Went to my mobile app, it was free. So I started it on mobile then cast to the tv set.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're in the US, it looks like you can watch it on NBC's website for free.

Only S1.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just watched an episode from each season. No paywall or sign in required. Where did you go?

Only seeing S1 here and I had to sign in with my TV provider.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you in the US? Are you on desktop or mobile? Mobile made me use the NBC app, but that still didn't require a login or TV provider.

I'm not signed into any TV provider or anything.

Try this link:

https://www.nbc.com/battlestar-galactica/video/crossroads-part-2/3581937

I just want to see if it plays for you.

edit: You've got some weird poo poo going on. Just right now I was able to watch Naked Gun 2 on Prime on my desktop no problem.

I see the episodes and it tells me use the NBC app. Earlier I was on desktop, US. Weird poo poo indeed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I clicked through from Justwatch, maybe that was the problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Prime held me in a headlock while Netflix gave me a power wedgie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There will have to be mergers, few will sub to 20 different streaming services. Even putting the cost aside, the inconvenience of having so many services will put people off. I would rather pay Netflix more and have them ante up for some some of the content that has gone away than sub to more services. I'm planning on cutting the cord this coming year but the cord cutting situation is worse than 2 years ago.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I want to know what happens but I don't want to see kittens die. I've had the same issue locally with reporting dog owners who starve or mistreat their animals and the cops do nothing except show up and tell them to do better. Same with owners whose dogs attack, and sometimes kill other pets. They claim there are no laws allowing them to do anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It shouldn't be surprising at all that people value cute cuddly animals as much or more than humans. My pets have all been very loyal and treated me with the same affection I've shown them, can't say the same for many adults.
Pets trigger the same chemical responses as children.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mindhunter S2 is really good so far, about halfway through.

Also rewatching Lost in Space and it's more action packed but a little dumber than I remember, still love it though.

Expanse S4 is fantastic so far, just a few episodes in.

I don't really binge so it takes me a little bit to get through shows.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just finished 6 Underground and it's pretty much what I expected, a fun action movie with music video editing, bad cgi, and lots of explosions. I'm down for a sequel. My biggest disappointment is that they pretty much forgot about 5, the brunette chick. Her scenes are more like cameos than part of the story.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Class Warcraft posted:

Speaking of Sci-Fi - I need a new show

Amazon has 3 of 4 seasons of Defiance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pahuyuth posted:

Defiance was cool but I never saw the last season. Did it get a good ending?

Yeah, it did.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watching Mindhunter makes me feel sorry for Anna Torv, not only is her character dumbed down this season but in every scene she looks like it's the worst day of her life. In ep4 I started FF through her personal scenes. The new boss is another energy vampire.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Animals trigger the same chemical responses in our brains as if they were children, I posted a link above to the science. Really I believe a lot of the handwringing over bad things that happen to strangers is for show. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day, many violently, if we actually felt empathy for all people we'd be emotionally crippled with grief.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

God Hole posted:

pigs are just as cute and cuddily as puppies and kittens and arguably have more "personality" than them but we confine millions to body-sized cages all their lives and slaughter them without batting an eye. it's not about how cute something is, it's about how effectively we've normalized whatever atrocity we're committing against them.

if baby yodas existed and tasted okay on a burger, we'd absorb their race into the existing meatpacking industry immediately.

There is a difference between mentally disturbed and normalizing cruelty. I agree that food animals are often raised inhumanely and their living conditions cruel. I would say one difference is intent ... chicken farmers don't keep chickens in tiny cages because they enjoy the cruelty but because it is cheap and there is no outrage because the public isn't worried what chicken farmers might do to ordinary people. Not everyone accepts that the inhumane treatment of food animals is normal but change requires money and willpower and there is a lot of competition for those. I've been to an egg farm and it's revolting, the smell made me retch. If everyone could go once then change would happen. But a guy who delights in torturing cats is mentally disturbed and dangerous and the discussion started with why Twitter was more agitated over the cat torture than killing humans which I believe is subtly different than the issue of food animals.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector Hound posted:

I hate almost all the characters in The Expanse, also it's better than Game of Thrones

They really hosed up Chrisjen. Through ep4 her every scene is childishly yelling at people and being reactive instead proactive like previous seasons. She also acts like politics are a mystery or beneath her when before she was a master at it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
MwC pokes fun at everyone. People liked Al because Ed O'Neil is a good actor and sold the character as a regular guy whose life didn't turn out the way he hoped but it's not all bad, not because he's admirable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm reading that Dracula on Netflix is pretty bad. Anyone have a different take?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Deadite posted:

Does anyone watch/like Peaky Blinders? Every season of this show gets worse and worse

Is it bad? I don't know. After 3.5 seasons I quit because even though I enjoyed it on some level the motivation to watch another episode was missing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird?

It's bullshit. I think it's one of those situations where a tiny minority of people are extremely vocal about something they probably don't even care much about, and Disney bots trolling Netflix. I rarely watch things when they first drop and yet manage to avoid spoilers by just avoiding places where I would see spoilers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ozmunkeh posted:

every calamitous problem would be easily solved in five minutes if any of the characters actually talked to each other.

What would prevent most calamities are tethers. At least half of all the poo poo that happens starts with someone falling off something, which is kind of funny. But it's also how they found the robot so not being tethered saved the Robinson's lives.

I really enjoy the show though. It's dumb family friendly action adventure with a positive message and a deeply disturbed effective antagonist. It's exactly the kind of show my whole family likes to watch together.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mr Robot S2 goes up it's own rear end and keeps going, while being dull. I haven't seen 3 and 4 and probably never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh hell yeah! The first season was excellent, seriously some of the best character arcs I've seen in a tv series in a long time.

I loved s1 but prepare for disappointment, S2 is a contrived mess.