Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

We only saw the first couple of episodes of Castle Rock. I liked it but forgot about it until now... how does it hold up over its run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

I'll give it a shot when we're done watching S2 of the Stephen King Mr Mercedes series. Really digging it and I'm happy it will get a 3rd season. Brendan loving Gleeson is so drat good in everything.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where can I watch this?

I'm not finding it on any of the big streaming services now, but it's an Audience network production so if you have that channel maybe you can catch it there. Otherwise,

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Fred Ward Remo Williams is just the best.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

It's not bad. While the dialogue is sometimes a bit stilted and the exposition a little too on the nose, the visuals are great and it's trippy and goofy as gently caress. It's fun and inventive and scratches whatever itch it is supposed to I guess. If that's not a flippant endorsement I dunno what is!

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Wifey and I watched Savageland last night and hated it. The acting was horrible, the found footage gimmick was lame as hell, and nothing really ever happened. There was no sense of tension and it just wasn't compelling in any way for us. My wife was so disappointed she put me on "activities restriction" through the weekend so I'm not allowed to choose any movies or TV

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Really? Ya'll thought the photos were scary? I thought they were pretty goofy and didn't feel even the slightest sense of dread.
I get what Savageland was going for but it just didn't work for us on any level.

I think we're going to watch First Reformed tonight. Ethan Hawke always delivers so I'm looking forward to that.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

That is crazy talk

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Captain Magic posted:

I don’t know if these entirely count as epic or lesser-known, but they are good films that I could see being overlooked for one reason or another:

- The Chronicles of Riddick
- Starship Troopers
- Dark City
- Moon

I love Dark City so so much. If anyone hasn't seen it, mute the opening narration until Kiefer Sutherland starts walking.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a director's cut that straight deletes that narration

Yeah that's the cut I watch but I always tell newbies to immediately mute as soon as the film starts until Kiefer starts walking. The narration just gives too much away.

I remember some side-by-side shots of Dark City and The Matrix and the argument that one of the films lifted a lot from the other and reused sets.. I think The Matrix was the guilty one in that regard. Anyway I like Dark City a hell of a lot more after all these years. The music is great and the DVD commentary is pretty cool as well.

old.flv posted:

Where is Dark City streaming

It's on Amazon for $2.99

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 11, 2019

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Yeah. And Shane Black was even IN the first Predator. After watching his Predator we had to rewatch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to remind us that he can make really good movies.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Harry And The Hendersons

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

I hadn't heard of Loqueesha until now so I looked it up on IMDB and the FAQ consists of

Q: Does he literally rip a black woman's head in half and wear it while on the air like in the poster?
A: Probably not. But it's a questionable choice to have the black woman screaming instead of smiling.

I'll give it a shot I guess.

Also Catch-22 is extremely my poo poo, both the novel and this Hulu adaption. Dude playing YoYo is on point.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is this show Colony on Netflix? Iím on ep 2 and it seems ok. Gosh I just need a good well produced semi-sci fi adventure action drama show. Iíve watched OA and most many mainstream things. Any recs for shoes that may have flown a bit under the radar?

I quite enjoyed Colony but I don't think we finished it. From what I've heard it's one of those shows that was ended before its time. Dunno if it got any good closure.

Have you seen Defiance? It was the TV companion to an MMO but you don't have to have any knowledge of the game to enjoy the series, and the series is much better than the game anyway. Sci-fi post-apoc type shenanigans with cool aliens and it is streaming on Prime. There are 3 seasons but I can't remember how it ends.

It isn't sci-fi, but Jericho might fit the bill for a fun adventure action drama show. A midwestern US town tries to survive a bunch of nukes that devastated the rest of the nation and it features Skeet Ulrich and Lennie James. It gained notoriety for having the fan base send the producers a bunch of peanuts to get it back on the air after it was initially canceled after S1 (I think). It is on Netflix.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 26, 2019

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Yeah, I liked the game well enough. A remake or update or sequel or whatever was released several months or more ago- Defiance 2050
I played it for like 2 hours and just never revisited it.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

How is the French paranormal series Black Spot?

E: on Netflix

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

The last time I saw RfAD was with Trainspotting as a double feature. Looking back we should have watched Spun too

I've seen em both enough by now that I don't feel the need to see either ever again. I did enjoy them but I liked Trainspotting more

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

veni veni veni posted:

Man the overboard remake is bad

I didn't know such a thing existed. I mean I love Anna Faris and all but you can't do better than Kurt and Goldie ffs

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

How can you hate Michael Rappaport??

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

You've got so much good stuff to look forward to in The Shield

Glenn Close, Anthony Anderson, Forest Whitaker, and plenty of moments

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

The 12 Monkeys finale was near perfect imo

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Sarchasm posted:

The Terror is amazing. I have no idea how it's still so obscure.

S1 was indeed great. How is S2?

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

In The Tall Grass was better than I expected. That's about all I can say.

I guess I liked it more than In The Shadow Of The Moon and Time Trap

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Yeah Todd looked looked like he had been eating a lot of ice cream in that compound

It was an ok film but like a lot of others have said it was totally unnecessary. Skinny Pete and whatshisname were the best part

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

garycoleisgod posted:

My Name is Dolemite was good fun. Eddie Murphy was great and I didn't think Wesley Snipes could steal the movie like that.

In a weird way Rudy Ray's ceaseless ambition and drive is like a nice version of Lou Bloom from Nightcrawler , odd comparison but it's what I kept thinking while watching.

Yeah Murphy and Snipes are fantastic in this. For those interested the original 1975 Dolemite film is on Prime.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

As a 15 year old I had the same problem with Flight Of The Navigator as I did with Explorers... I wanted hard sci-fi not some goofy crap

but I ended up enjoying them upon rewatching years later. The first 2/3 of Explorers is really really good

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Class Warcraft posted:

I watched the movie Prospect on hulu. It's about a low budget sci-fi movie about a father-daughter team that land on a dangerous gold-rush world to try and make it rich. It's got a really cool atmosphere and uses a clunky 70's tech aesthetic similar to what you'd see in Alien. Anyway, it's pretty gritty and really more of a space western than a sci-fi movie. Also it has Pedro Pascal in it. Would recommend.

This is a good recommend. thanks!

Gonna watch Aniara next

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Oh my. I love Galaxy Quest so much. Gonna check this out!

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Defiance was cool but I never saw the last season. Did it get a good ending?

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

goddamn I loves me some Millennium

I have a DVD box set somewhere but gently caress it would be great to have streaming

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

I haven't seen Honey Boy but Shia is great in The Peanut Butter Falcon and so is Zach as the titular character. As someone else said his Hot Ones episode is one of the best. Some of the stories he's told on late night talk shows are good ways to pass the time on YouTube too. The guy is seriously loving funny.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Two episodes into Hunters and it is pretty wild. It looks great; it has a graphic novel feel to it.

It's got some brutal scenes - the first 5 minutes of episode 1 and the later scene of a human chess match in a concentration camp especially.

I'm really enjoying it andi it's great to see Lena Olin and Carol Kane work.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Penn Jillette's daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter Jillette

I've never checked out Altered Carbon. Maybe after I'm done with Hunters

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Yep every time Terriers pops up in here I get all misty eyed and sad that it was never given a second season. Just a fun, good show with great chemistry between the leads.

goddammit. whoever made the decision to cancel it: gently caress you

is there another buddy detective show similar to it? From what I know about it Psych comes to mind but I've never seen it. Stumptown maybe...

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

anatomi posted:

I see I missed the Hulu talk, but give The Booth at the End a shot if it's still up there.

Edit: And Trainspotting 2 is legit great and made me cry.

The Booth at the End is sooooooo good

really wish we got more seasons

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Basebf555 posted:

Let me suggest Westerns. The good ones will give you this completely immersive world from a different place and time(that really never existed, but hey, for escapism it works) and they never talk about germs or viruses.

sage advice right here

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

omg now you've got me thinking what if drive-ins make a comeback because of social distancing!

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

Yeah, Harnett and Eva Green were great in Penny Dreadful. I want more Eva Green on my TV.

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

I haven't seen that in years. I'm gonna watch it now. The whole real life Frank Dux story is just so silly but hot drat the movie is buckets of dumb fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 10, 2002

I can destroy you

yeah Devs is cool but I had to bail on the thread because you know, goons