Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Dante's Peak is on Netflix.

Remember in 97 two movies about volcanoes came out around the same time for some reason? I saw the other one, Volcano, in theaters when I was a kid, but never this one. I watched half of it last night on Netflix.

The dialogue is corny and the plot is pretty by the numbers, but it feels almost comforting and cozy in a way. It feels like a throwback in a
"they don't make movies quite like this anymore" sense.

Seems like a solid enough B-movie.

Thanks, on-screen text. I couldn't have ever known otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bort posted:

I'm not saying it's okay, I'm conflicted as to whether it's pragmatic for the police to get involved.

lol go gently caress yourself

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not technically a Netflix movie. It was direct to video, they expected people to actually pay for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Expanse is fantastic, it's space opera that takes the mechanics of space travel seriously which is virtually unheard of in TV sci-fi. Space battles rarely feel "terrestrial" like they do in Star Trek or whatever, where they're basically stealing from old submarine movies, instead there's real consideration for the physics involved.

Also the plotting and characters are pretty great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

frogbs posted:

Watched the first episode of Tales From The Loop and was really impressed. It’s 100% my poo poo so far. The whole time I was thinking the score sounded so much like Philip Glass, and welp, it was him! Hoping subsequent episodes are just as good!

Within the first few seconds of hearing the score I had to go check to see if it wasn't someone blatantly knocking him off.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, agreed. Devs has knocked it out of the park so far, it's a beautifully crafted show.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I love me a good intro. Halt and Catch Fire's is one of the better ones from the last decade.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still can't believe that NBC called their streaming service pee cock.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dredd was a major 3D release right at the time people were getting really sick of them too (though it does look quite nice in stereo).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Counterpart was fantastic and felt to me like a more serious, high minded take on the split universe ideas from Fringe, it's a shame it came and went without anyone noticing. Starz seem to have no idea how to market their shows, next to no one knows Ash vs Evil Dead existed either.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Season 2 of Fringe is fantastic, the show in general succeeds mostly because it's not afraid to go full-weird with it's sci-fi shenanigans.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Raised by Wolves isn't much of a mystery box, it seems clear to me that the planet is alive/sentient which explains most of the goings on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It had a very rough start, it's first season is 5 episodes including the pilot and the second was a half season order. Seinfeld wasn't "landmark TV" until season 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You're basically describing the entire ethos behind the comedy of the website Something Awful, not that I entirely disagree with what your saying, just that self reflection should go both ways.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Devs was loving great