Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is Triple Frontier worth a spin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I want an Alex Garland Predator movie.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Trying to decide on Incendies and Place Beyond the Pines, both streaming on Netflix. Thoughts?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

is Small Town Crime any good?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Best movie (not TV show) you've seen on Netflix or Prime recently, "sight unseen"? You just randomly clicked on something without knowing much about it.

For me, Cop Car. Minimalistic but tense, good action scenes. Excellent child actors. Had never heard of it before.

What else?

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 17, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Avengement on Netflix is loving great.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Holy poo poo I just finally got around to watching Aniara and I only wish I'd watched it sooner. Good science fiction is always in short supply.

Where did you find this, it's not on Netflix

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

precision posted:

Talking of HBO, I'm not usually an huge King fan but The Outsider is fuckin phenomenal.

Just hope it doesn't do the usual King thing of having a weak ending

First ep was incredible and then it kind of dropped off until I stopped watching after episode four. After it's pretty clear that the killer is just a supernatural monster that can do anything the mystery really disappears.

Did I give up too soon? Does it pick up again?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Pretty stacked cast.

is this real because goddamn

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

You can literally go by any name you want. My grandpa’s name was Elvin, only ever went by Billy his whole life. No other part of his name is related to Billy, he just preferred it. No one asks for legal proof of your name except for forms.

My grandfather's name was Weston, which was apparently an unusual name at a time when the only legal names for men were Bill, Bob, John, Joe, and George. "Weston" was too confusing so people just started calling him Bill. Including my grandma, lol

Oh yeah, movies. So Atlantics is supposed to be good?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sorceress on Prime is loving great

yes, there are titties

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Is it really "great", or more "I got nothing left to watch" great?

It's basically a live action Heavy Metal, though purely fantasy instead of scifi. "So bad it's good" in a way only 80s movies could be.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

First episode of Devs was so goddamn good. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Sweet, can't wait to watch this. Alex Garland is such an underrated talent.

Does "Devs" stand for Developers or something? Almost sounds like the name for a Silicon Valley-esque show, although I'm sure it ain't anything like that.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

watched "The Foreigner" tonight on Netflix, keeping in theme with St Patricks Day

kinda sucked, I guess it was a serviceable revenge movie and a good performance by Jackie Chan, but they really go all in on 1980s Irish politics in 2017

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Devs is so good and Alex Garland is awesome. He definitely has a fascination with evil tech geniuses. I hope he makes an Elon Musk movie someday.

Anybody seen "Freaks" on Netflix?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have Netflix and Prime. Other than those, what's the next best service? Hulu?

Is there one with good foreign films I'd never know about otherwise?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Season 1 of Westworld is good but it fell off a loving cliff in the second.

So true. Would've been a great miniseries. Perfect ending, no cliffhanger, no need to start a new plot full of mystery boxes.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is Sling Blade (Netflix) good? Or is it just a vanity piece for Billy Bob Thornton?

Also looking for reviews of The Quiet Earth on Shudder.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anyone seen Missions on Shudder?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Petition to have the next breaking bad universe series be a semi-prequel to better call saul featuring mark proksch's character as the lead

This, but just go all the way and make it a Tim Heidecker production.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

All four Lethal Weapons are on Netflix

I've only seen the "Diplomatic Immunity!" one. Are they all worth watching?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Somehow I had never seen Bloodsport until it just now started streaming on Netflix. lol it rocks. I haven't seen a more unintentionally funny movie in a long time, its almost Best of the Worst material

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rewatching Jarhead on Netflix, which is ok but not great, made me realize how there are probably more movies about the Gulf War than the Iraq War. And even those, like the Hurt Locker, could really be interchangeable with almost anything else, they're not really "about" the Iraq War at all.

This truly is the smoothest-brained time in cultural history.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1272668180385869824

It's on Netflix. Any good?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Is that Rome HBO show still worth watching? I remember it having a lot of buzz back in the day but haven’t heard anyone bring it up in years. Watched Gladiator for the first time in years last weekend and wouldn’t mind some more of that.

I liked the political intrigue, and if it had just been Caesar's story it would have been great. The inclusion of the everyman soldier characters ruin it though. I guess the intention is to write them as "complicated"
HBO protagonists trying to survive in a brutal society, but they both come off as utterly reprehensible and completely unlikeable. One of them is a slave trader who gets a shipment of dying people and treats them like a batch of spoiled meat, and the other guy murders the boyfriend of his crush in an ogre-like jealous rage, but of course the next episode she forgets about that and falls for him. I get that it's ancient Rome, poo poo was tough, but the tone of the show is we're supposed to sympathize with them, which I found disconcerting and a little nauseating, so I stopped at season 1. The actors for these characters aren't particularly good either, especially the red-haired guy.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Jesse Plemons is great and I'm happy to see him popping up in a bunch of stuff instead of just sort of disappearing after Breaking Bad.

For most of that trailer I was thinking, "Was this shot before Philip Seymour Hoffman died?"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sorry if this has been covered, but is The Outpost just jingoistic garbage that treats the Afghanistan war as simply a state of nature in which "our heroes" eternally battle the Islamic horde? It's gotten great reviews, but depth isn't exactly Netflix's strong suit.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody seen the "Barbarians" miniseries yet?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Finally saw The Outpost. It's only ok, but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews it's gotten, which I think have more to do with the dearth of war movies recently than with the actual quality of the film. The script was really silly and fell for every war movie cliche in the book. The only interesting character was Ty Carter, and I think that's just because he was played by a really compelling actor.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody seen the somewhat oddly named Rise of Empires: Ottoman?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Shutter Island is on Netflix, it's a rare Scorsese I haven't seen yet. Any good?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

mystes posted:

I think it's a little dumb but maybe worth a watch?

Way more of a horror film than I think I would have willingly watched at midnight on a weekday. Trying a little too hard for the atmosphere of The Shining or maybe a Hitchcock movie

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Chappie is a masterpiece. Fuckmothers

Chappie owns, but only if you're there for The Die Antwoord Movie. I certainly was, fok julle naaiers!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thoughts on "Tribes of Europa"?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are any of the "Skyline" movies worth watching? Dumb but at least entertaining sci fi action is fine.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just watched the trailer for Raised by Wolves, I had never heard of it before reading this thread. Looks like a bunch of rapid flashing random images to paper over some mystery box BS.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Under Siege is on Netflix. I'd never seen it. Goddamn what a movie. Seagal is at his best, Gary Busey is in drag, there's playboy titties, and Tommy Lee Jones is basically the joker.

Also, O'Brien has the worst holosuite battle fantasy of his life.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

isaboo posted:

Fun fact: I helped with some of the fight choreography, sort of.

Short story: Seagal spent a little time with an aikido master that I was training with. Seagal asked him to arrange a few things that would look cool for the film, and I helped Carmen (aikido master) work it out. None of the elaborate stuff we came up with was used, but Seagal did like what we showed him. I've been around Seagal several times, and he was always a dick.

Also, I hate aikido. But yeah it is a fun film.

wow, that's awesome

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im really enjoying The Mosquito Coast so far and Im pretty shocked to see the bad reviews.

Fun fact, the author of the book is Justin Therouxs uncle and Louis Therouxs dad.

new one or old one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is Greenland any good? It just looks like every disaster movie ever