Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Does anyone watch/like Peaky Blinders? Every season of this show gets worse and worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

It's bad in the sense that it's all style over substance. Lots of shots of the cast looking cool and walking to contemporary music.

It's frustrating because the Shelbys are bad people, but the show doesn't seem comfortable admitting that so every other character on the show is a mustache-twirling caricature of a villain. And every season seems to go: Tommy is going to lose everything! No wait he had a secret plan all along so he wins and in fact has gained a higher station in life.

At this rate this season will end with him becoming prime minister, and next season he will be crowned king of england

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

beanieson posted:

Ready or Not was fun

Watching 6 Underground right now and itís not fun

What is Ready or Not on? Iíve been wanting to watch that.

Six underground was super boring for a movie that is 75% action scenes. I didnít care about any of the characters.

I just watched the first season of Mr Robot on prime and it was great, but I have heard the rest isnít worth watching. Should I keep going?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Is Canadaís Worst Handyman legally available anywhere? Netflix used to have two seasons a year ago but I havenít been able to find it for a while.

Watching very dumb people trying to hammer in screws will always be entertaining to me

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Yeah Childrens Hospital is definitely worth watching if you like Medical Police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzIeISl1uc

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Blue Ruin is great

If you liked Green Room it is definitely worth watching too

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Patrick Wilson and Scoot McNairy are two actors who turn up in a lot of things I watch but I donít realize it until I look up the cast later

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

wormil posted:

Who the gently caress is Patrick Wilson. Rhetorical. I looked him up and he's some b-movie actor. The only thing I've seen with him in a significant role is that tall grass movie and I couldn't tell you which character he played if you put a gun to my head.

You should watch Bone Tomahawk then

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Netflixís DVD service isnít terrible, but Iím not sure if there is a service I can replace it with. Are there any rental companies still out there?

I want to see To Live and Die in LA, but it doesnít seem to be streaming anywhere and Netflix doesnít have it on DVD

Same thing with the Sam Neill movie Possession, but I have given up on ever seeing that

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Neither one even turned up in the search results on Prime Video, but I havenít checked iTunes yet

I also noticed that 30 Rock is available on Prime now, so there goes many hours for me

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I thought the actress who played Yennifer was fine, but I do think it's weird that they chose an actress who has only been in 8 episodes of TV to be a lead in a series opposite Henry Cavill. I'm guessing they spent 90% of the budget on Cavill.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm loving this FBI agent Doug with the yellow suit.

That guy is the least likely FBI agent I've ever seen. He's completely changed my perception of what an FBI agent can be.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

He was doing a lot of weird poo poo like wearing a paper bag on his head and having an apology written in the sky because he ripped off someoneís work. It seemed like he just really wanted attention for being weird rather than acting.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Finally tracked down a copy of possession on DVD through inter library loan, but it is a region 2 dvd and I canít watch it

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Terriers is one of those shows like Party Down or (sue me) Firefly which was too good for this awful world and so it died long before its time. But what little we got is beautiful and precious. Anyone into neo-noir owes it to themselves to check out Terriers. It's kind of on the same wavelength as Veronica Mars but instead of neo-noir mixed with high school drama set in not-San Diego, it's neo-noir straight set in actual San Diego.

Oh hey this reminds me that Lodge 49 is streaming on Hulu. Itís probably my favorite show of the last decade and was cancelled after its second season

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I feel like Iím the only person who didnít like Justified. I thought season two was great but after that it just turned into the standard ďcop breaks laws but everyone looks the other way because he gets results!Ē cliche of a show. I liked how Raylan only cared about Marshall business at first but that stance goes out the window pretty quick.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Iíve been watching a lot of Coen Brothers movies to pass the time while confined at home

The Hudsucker Proxy and Raising Arizona are on HBO
A Serious Man is on Netflix
The Big Lebowski, Fargo, and Burn After Reading are on Starz
True Grit is on Prime

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The three recent Planet of the Apes movies deal with a virus wiping out most of humanity and theyíre all pretty good.

The Last Man on Earth is on Hulu, itís not a great series but that first episode is fantastic

https://youtu.be/raR1K4Qg7XY

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I think Westworld season 2 had some good individual episodes, like the one with Delos and especially Kiksuya, but it tried to cram too many ideas in at once and really tried to be too cute with its timelines. I don't think it's a great show, but it is entertaining for a big-budget action scifi.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Tiger King is like an anti-tourism video for Oklahoma.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Finders Keepers is an odd documentary about a guy trying to get his leg back. Itís on prime currently

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

precision posted:

I know this isn't normally the thread for recommending new shows that aren't on Netflix or Prime, but I feel really strongly about how amazing Dispatches From Elsewhere is. Someone said it's like a better, sadder Maniac and that's on point. It's also very loosely based on real events (read up on them, it's wild stuff).

Should be on AMC's website and if you have Comcast/Xfinity it's definitely free On Demand.

Seriously, it's loving incredible. And heartbreaking. And weird. And good.

Dispatches from Elsewhere just makes me sad that Lodge 49 was cancelled. Dispatches is good, but Lodge 49 had the same vibe but with better world building and a sense of optimism that I miss. Dispatches from Elsewhere's central mystery just isn't that interesting to me either, like if Clara is real and this isn't a game, then what is the big deal about finding her? What does finding her accomplish?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think I'm like, 1.25 seasons through Killing Eve and are these ladies ever going to gently caress

I don't have Hulu but I noticed Killing Eve was streaming through comcast so I started watching it, until I discovered that AMC is only streaming the first two episodes of season one and all of season two. AMC is awful at building audiences for their shows

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is putting several Broadway performances of his works up on YouTube, one every week. This week is Jesus Christ:Super Star for obvious reasons. Though instead of the seminal performance from the 70s its the revival from a few years ago where Jesus and his followers are all Occupy Wallstreet protesters.

If Paul F Tompkins wanted to make some quick money during the quarantine, Iíd pay to watch these with an ďAndrew Lloyd WebberĒ commentary track

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah that husband died of AIDS in early 00's

Apparently it really broke him

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/joe-exotic-and-his-american-animals.html

He had a husband after that that molested a girl and then murdered a guy, neither of his first two husbands come up in the doc

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Tammy and the T Rex is on Showtime, so if you have Xfinity watch it while you can

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

If you have money to burn A24 is auctioning off props from their movies, including the flower dress from Midsommar

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/midsommar-harga-collectibles

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

veni veni veni posted:

I bet that dress will go for at least 10K.

This doormat from Hereditary is already at $5,000 with 15 days left to go

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/a24-attic-auction/heirloom-doormat-01

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Hubbardologist posted:

and season 6, which was part of Yahoo's ill-fated streaming service (lol), is surprisingly good.

This reminded me of a show that is an answer to this:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What are some good shows that have possibly gotten less attention than they should because they were on some obscure network or streaming service?

Like Audience. Have you ever heard of Audience? I haven't, but apparently it's shutting down.

Other Space was a show that got one season on Yahoo's streaming service and I thought it was great. It was created by Paul Feig and had a cast full of great improvisors, and Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu from MST3K. I don't know if it's available anywhere but there are only 8 episodes so it's worth the time.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

John Gabrus of the actionboyz podcast described Bosch as ďfor dads, by dadsĒ and itís stuck in my head anytime I hear about the show

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

An update on the Midsommar prop auction, the Queen May dress is already up to $30,000

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/midsommar-harga-collectibles/may-queen-dress

But the mallet is only going for $8,500!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is a difficult ask but what would people say are the next best Netflix drama series after Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? Foreign or domestic.
I was rolling my eyes and shutting poo poo off 5 minutes into Ozark/House of Cards, and the same by the end of episode 2 of Halt and Catch Fire.

Might be the obvious choice but Mad Men, if you haven't watched it. It's not a crime drama but it's great and on Netflix. Other than that I think the Sopranos is on Prime and it's in a very similar vein.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Inspector Hound posted:

Is there a place that has a good chunk of episodes or is it still a "look around for bootlegs" situation

youtube is still the most complete collection I've found. There is an official MST3K channel, but those episodes are usually full of ads

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have good recs for thrillers like Assault on Precinct 13 or Green Room? Like, tense standoff horror but not horror movies. Not necessarily stuff like Die Hard or Dredd since they are more action movies, even if they are great.

Blue Ruin is by the same director as Green Room and itís very much in the same vein. Blood Simple is by the Coen Brothers and is a great thriller.

The Thing is a horror movie but is also incredibly tense.

The Conversation is worth watching if you like paranoia style thrillers

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

cosmin posted:

Man this standoff thing is my favorite trope in film and games!

Canít really add much except STRAW DOGS (the classic of course, but I donít know where it streams).

Comedy options: home alone 1

Or Skyfall, the James Bond version of Home Alone

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I enjoyed maniac a lot, it's worth it just for Justin Theroux's performance

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I hate when a streaming service is missing one movie in a series. Amazon Prime has the entire Phantasm series available except for Phantasm 2, which isnít streaming anywhere.

Or like how Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are always streaming together somewhere, but Dark Knight Rises never is

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

InsertPotPun posted:

can i get a recommendation for a light comedy show on netflix like "the office"?
i'm tired of the grim dark channel.
"parks and recs" suuuuuucks, i've tried a half dozen episodes and got maybe half a laugh. "master of none" is good, "galavant" is one of my favorites. just something that isn't people arguing or hating each other for a half hour

Comedy Bang Bang is about as light as it gets, but it is a fake talk show rather than a serialized comedy

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

I know I'm in the minority on this but I think Parks and Rec was much better when Mark Brendanawicz was a character on the show. After he left the writers decided that everyone needed to be wacky and the whole show turned into a cartoon. Without Mark as a regular person, the show just spins up into a series of character quirks with nothing to measure it against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Lockout was added to Netflix, and if you like Guy Pearce playing a sassy mercenary on a mission to rescue the president's daughter from a space jail then this is the movie for you

It's a lot of fun