Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I wanted to give some shout outs to some really surprising finds, and see if anything else would be recommended.

Shows
The Good Place - A girl finds herself in heaven by mistake and has to figure out how to become a good enough person to stay. I was not expecting "my philosophy degree - the show" to be so goddamn funny.
Killing Eve - I guess I like psychopaths? The antagonist in this show is amazing, and i love the whole "standard spy / assassin plot, but done by women" aspect of it. Very refreshing take.
Tabula Rasa - Probably the best whodunit i've seen in a long time. Think memento, with its crazy twists and memory shenanigans, but done as a 9 part miniseries.

Movies
Mr. Right - This movie is waaaaay better than it has any right to be. It has Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick basically being themselves in a modern take on "woman falls in love with a hitman". Gross Point Blanke did it better, but this is still really drat good.

I've been unemployed for the last few months, so I've watched quite a bit other than this but these are the highlights. Anyone have any recommendations for shows/movies that are similar in theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
After watching and being thoroughly disappointed by DC's Titans show, I realize im still in the mood for "young girl discovers shes the dark lord / world ender / etc, adventures ensue"

Any recommendations?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

precision posted:

The stories aren't unique but nobody would watch it if everyone they interviewed was just a random nobody

I thought it was fine, it clearly wasn't supposed to be some huge deal or whatever :shrug:

My roommate was watching this and I caught a few - the stories seemed funny and well told? Id much rather watch comedians tell stories than some rando.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's kind of amazing that even B level shows from today completely blow away AAA shows from 20 years ago. I guess it's the nature of progress, but you wouldn't say movies from the 1980s are way better than movies from the 1960s, but the median for shows has gone WAY up in the last 20 years.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
OK i'll admit I was wrong but it definitely seems like the average has gone up. It could be that I'm actually watching more B level TV as well, but I feel like 10 years ago you ONLY had sopranos / mad men / breaking bad / the wire to talk about, and otherwise you just had episodic TV. Nowadays theres a lot more great stuff to talk about. Not on the level of Sopranos, but easily shows people will still be talking about in 10 years.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Is there an easy way to find miniseries? Iv recently watched Vampires, Ares, Hotel Beon Sejour and Tabula Rasa and I'm loving the format.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Fine, gently caress it I’m gonna watch Hannibal because of this thread.

See you in a few days after I’ve binged the thing

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

Dead Like Me is a gosh-darn blast, I'd highly recommend it—assuming the consensus is that it holds up, as I haven't revisited it since airing. I never watched the movie, and by all accounts nobody should, but the show is just incredibly charming and has terrific characters. Pushing Daisies I never got into but that's mostly because I don't like Lee Pace's face.

I recently rewatched it and only made it past the first few episodes because i was sick and had nothing else i felt like watching. It only holds up if you are in the mood for a Seinfeld-type show where literally nothing changes and nobody grows. Seeing the exact same characters do the exact same thing every episode was painful. I know that "characters growing and changing as a larger plot unfolds" is more of a recent thing in TV, but gently caress that show could have used it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I was having this conversation with a friend about old movies. Going back and watching The Classics (like silence of the lambs) is loving rough because everything they did well has been copied to death and become cliche and there’s a shitton of stuff that has become unwatchable (like the constant sexual harassment).

Some movies still hold up better than others, but it’s rare to find something without blatant racism, sexism, or even borderline rape.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Inspector Hound posted:

No prestige show since at least Twin Peaks has an excuse for not having a loose plan for each character

I mean, dead like me was sold as “girl died and then learns how to really live while undead” and George didn’t learn poo poo. I mean, each episode had a moral but gently caress if she did anything with it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Inspector Hound posted:

Maybe that's just a better formula for monster of the week episodes; like how it seems awkward when a meta arc gets shoehorned into a show that's mostly one offs, or when a plot-driven show runs out of steam and kind of wanders from one double or triple episode plot to another.

It doesn’t even have to be plot driven. It could have just as easily been “George learns the benefits of having friends. Makes a friend. She now has a friend the next episode.” Instead nope, friend has to be the one who dies.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

Poor Minority Report. Two years later and you could have used digital grading. But you had to use a godawful bleach bypass and you look like dogshit.

Hot tip: if you want to watch Minority Report, turn your TV's color down to 0. It makes it far, far more tolerable visually.

It's a movie with huge tonal swings from goofy to gritty. I want to watch either one, but not both. Would've been far better as the Total Recall sequel it started life as.

Fun fact: total recall and minority report were both originally written by Phillip k dick. He famously wrote brilliant short stories that Hollywood continues to make into lovely films (paycheck anyone?). Turns out it’s pretty hard to make short form, high concept stories into feature length films.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

DeimosRising posted:

Those movies are both...very good. As is Blade Runner. And A Scanner Darkly. Even Screamers and Paycheck have their charms. PKD has a pretty good adaptation record

A scanner darkly is very good and blade runner is an adaptation pretty much in concept only. Screamers, Minority report, paycheck, next, and adjustment bureau are passable, and there are at least 4 more movie adaptations you've never heard of (impostor, Confessions d'un Barjo, radio free albermuth and the crystal crypt).

Yes i did just look this up on wikipedia why did you ask.

BisterdDave posted:

I saw Paycheck in the theater and actually enjoyed it. I'll have to look into what else Philip K. Dick has done.

Paycheck is one of my all time favorite PKD stories and I was bummed how it came out. Oh well.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 27, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Since it's coming soon to HBO max, and season 2 just ended, I highly recommend the new Harley Quinn animated TV show. It's easily up there in my all time favorite shows, and DEFINITELY animated shows. The writers never really adjusted to the 22 minute format so every episode feels a bit crammed, but holy gently caress is it worth it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Junkie Disease posted:

Why the heck is Harley Quinn this good?

The people making it are loving genius. Everyone from the show runners on down to the South Korean wage slaves making $.30 per frame of animation is a once in a generation comedic talent. And they know when to stop being funny so the drama actually lands, unlike every other funny show in the last decade. I actually recently learned there’s even a term for “dramatic scene ruined by a lame joke” but I forget what it is now.

Note: I have no idea if this is traditional animation and I have no idea how much the animators were making. I hope I’m exaggerating.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I wish Netflix would pick better names for their stuff. I originally skipped “warrior nun” but eventually came back to it and enjoyed it. It was an above average superhero story but the pacing was super off. I was all set for the big final climactic episode and them bam.... cliffhanger for season 2.

It would have been really great if it had 2 more episodes. As of now I can’t recommend it until season 2 came out.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

Well one of the key bullet points for the show is apparently that the women are very attractive so I guess mission accomplished, Netflix.

What’s weird is that the show isn’t like that all. I mean, there is still the whole “you must be reasonably attractive to be an actress/actor” thing but nothing about the show is horny. Almost all of the main characters spend the entire show dressed like regular nuns.

As for the comic, loving hell. I’m embarrassed admitting I’m even aware of it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Has anyone seen "Impulse" on youtube? Its a part of their paid service and the pilot was interesting but fuuuuuuck giving youtube money.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

veni veni veni posted:

I have Youtube premium but I've never watched anything on it. It just comes as part of a Google play sub which is basically just spotify. Its worth it because its the same price as spotify and you never have to watch an ad on Youtube.

wait, you can get google play sub as a part of spotify? or the other way around

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

I'll keep going with it for at least a few more and may change my opinion, but I ended up not really feeling Harley Quinn after 2 episodes. It was fun, and a nice distraction for a chunk of my evening, but the writing wasn't great and it was way overhyped. It felt like a mediocre riff on Venture Bros. that lacked any of the nuance. It took a while for VB to grow into itself, too, so I can't be all that hard on it, but it felt like a somewhat hollow imitation on first impression.

I would stick around at least until episode 6. I would even argue that if you stop before then, skip to 6 and see what you think. It's one of the best examples of the type of comedy in HC and if you like it, i would stick to watching the show.

The first episode definitely feels different than the rest of the show - I think they were going for a more action show when they crafted the pilot and then realized their strength was comedy and characters so it switched back to that.

Its easily in my top 3 all time favorite shows, so I'm biased but it's getting hype for a good reason IMO.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Don’t give any money to DC universe - it’s pretty much DOA. I think everything is on HBO Max by this point, right?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Junkie Disease posted:

HBO got all the comics?

Considering the entire DC universe staff was just laid off, I have no idea where the comics are going. Good luck I guess?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Asnorban posted:

I nearly turned it off during the first episode. I've watched the first 6 now and it's pretty good once they tone down the cusses and gore that serve more to show how loving edgy the show is than serving the characters or plot. If there is stuff you like in there, it's worth giving it a few more episodes to see how it evens out.

It's really just the pilot. They were originally going in one direction with the show, and then (wisely) realized that characters, plot and comedy was better than swearing and violence.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly, I suspect the swearing/gore in the first episode isn't a consequence of the mild retool it went through, so much as it's a consequence of the rest of DC's animated stuff either being kid-friendly or very visibly signposting that it's not.

Harley Quinn can't give itself an R rating, being a streaming show, so instead they just crammed a bunch of gore and swearing in the first episode to yell out "HEY THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS, DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS."

e: I say this because, while the tone and style of the show definitely take a hard left turn after the first episode, it still stays pretty gory and sweary throughout; the first episode isn't really unrepresentative on that front, so much as it frontloads a whole lot of it at once and has a generally more action-y tone that the rest of the show doesn't run with.

Overall, it's basically a Venture Bros ripoff... but gently caress it, I'll take something that's basically Venture Brothers and gets new seasons semi-regularly instead of "a new season every time Halley's Comet passes the earth"

There's a funny anecdote where the HQ showrunners specifically asked WB how many fucks they could have per episode and WB wouldn't give them a concrete answer, so they just put in an over the top amount. Finally WB got back to them and was like "ok, you can have 8"

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Did Wu Assassins ever get good? I stopped about halfway through.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

pizza valentine posted:

Any early thoughts on I'm Thinking of Ending Things? I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to catching it at some point this weekend.

We turned it off halfway through. It was just too weird and uncomfortable. And not in a good way, in a "Is the director pranking us?" kinda way.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just finished The Queens Gambit. loving bravo Netflix. Then I found out the guy who made Logan made this series and holy poo poo I think I have a new favorite writer/director. It easily shoots to the top of my favorites list.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I don't know if anyone actually has Apple TV+, but if you do, you must watch Wolf Walkers. I feel like hand drawn 2d animation doesn't get enough respect lately and it's gorgeous. Plus it's based on Irish Folklore and set in Ireland and made by Irish people, and it's nice to see a fairy tale other than Brothers Grim for the 100x time.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Thundercracker posted:

The first three episodes of Alice in Borderland are pretty drat fun so far. It does one thing correct that a lot of gimmick manga adaptations fault at: Don't waste my time. The setup for the show is 10 minutes, and backstories are a minute long. The characters are paper thin tropes but that doesn't matter when they only serve to be delivery systems for action and mystery. The Borderland is the only actually character.

Watch it if you liked the movie Cube, but taking place in all of Shibuya

I just looked this up and apparently the plot is basically The World Ends With You, and thats my jam.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Deadite posted:

I'm watching that Cecil Hotel show on Netflix and they interview what may be the dumbest tourists from the UK that stayed in the hotel. They did absolutely no research about where they were going to be staying and were SHOCKED that downtown LA was nothing like their expectations.

At this point I'm curious how they formed their expectations of downtown LA because I can't think of any time I've heard of it described as a place you would want to visit.

I live in SF and literally every tourist assumes all of California is just like Hollywood Boulevard. You can buy sweatshirts on almost every corner because overweight dumbfuck is freezing his rear end off in shorts and a tshirt.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. I feel like, with Falcon/Winter Soldier dropping so close, it's the whole DC vs. Marvel schism all over again. DC is about gods and Marvel is about people, albeit super powered. And honestly, gods are boring at the hands of Snyder. I want to see Wonder Woman trying to open a bank account card as a single greek woman in the 50s.

Gods in general are boring. You gotta have conflict to have an interesting story, and once you are a literal god there's not much stopping you. Wonder Woman came the closest, since the movie was about Diana trying to decide if humanity was worth saving. Shut up i know the last 10 minutes of the movie don't exist

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

GD_American posted:

I know I'm img-timeline on this but Counterpart on Amazon Prime is amazing. I'm genuinely beginning to think JK Simmons may be the finest American actor currently living.

I keep hearing good things but I couldn't really get past the first episode. Care to share more about what you loved?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Turambar posted:

I liked the not- Paul F. Tompkins hotel concierge in AC.

Any thoughts on Wolfwalkers? I see that it's streaming on Apple TV+, and the trailer looks magnificent
By the same studio that did Secret of Kells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z_tybgPgg

Music by Aurora is always a plus as well.

I'll watch anything to get us out of the "everything is based on Grimms" hellworld we are currently in. so in addition to being based on Irish folklore Wolfwalkers was legit awesome.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Shadow and Bone was really great. It's easily better than most of the drivel Netflix has been putting out lately (not a high bar, I know). Much better than Witcher at least. It's your standard YA fantasy romance, but its well done standard YA fantasy romance.

Plus the show changed the main character to be half Asian and made racism a big part of it, and added some gay sex. Both of those things are A+ in my book.

It leans away from most "chosen one" stories in that the stakes are small - the country got torn in half by a big shadow full of monsters a few hundred years ago and finally the right type of magic user was born to fix it.

Honestly I thought all the costumes were ugly as gently caress (they must have hired the same person to do them as the Witcher) so the only neat cosplay ideas are installing antlers into your collarbone

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Desperado Bones posted:

Shadow and Bone was...ok. I've never read the book, and watched out of curiosity. Just two points:

1) Alina is a dumbass. A big big BIG dumbass.

2) Ber Barnes is a love. And was great in his role.

And, I'm hooked and already wondering if we'll get a second season.

Netflix seems to have invested a shitton into the show, same with Witcher, so barring more "cancel everything because of covid" shenanigans, I'm assuming we'll get at least a second and third season.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SirSamVimes posted:

Is Shadow and Bone any good?

If you can handle YA fantasy it’s very good.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SirSamVimes posted:

Good enough for me! I am perfectly happy with YA fiction as long as it's good YA fiction.

You will spot the conclusion from a mile away but the journey is still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just finished up Arcane. It’s nice to see a show follow in the spider verse trend of “every shot is a goddamn painting”. I had to pause just to take in a few of them.

Plot was fine - I probably would have enjoyed it more if I was in the mood for watching characters struggle inside a hopeless situation.

I doubt season 2 will be lighter so I’ll probably just wait until everything is done so I don’t end up on such a downer again.

Congrats to the team for making something interesting out of League of Legends.