Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Kaidan: Piece of Darkness on Amazon Prime was actually pretty great. Usually these anthology type Japanese horror movies look cheap as poo poo (which sometimes works in its favor) but they got dp that really understands how to frame a horror shot.

Plus it's 10 stories, with only 2 or 3 stinkers, and some really excellent ones. I find Japanese horror movies tend to have terrible pacing and outstays its welcome with few exceptions, and the anthologies really give you the best scares for your buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Norsemen is great from the first scene.

The whole "Yes, you built up this business over years of hard work and good business sense, but I'm better with an axe so I'm going to duel you, kill you, and inherit your business and wife" exchange was great.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 23, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Rewatching Legend of Korra on Netflix, up to season 2, and both better and worse than I remember. It's better in that all the world building, fight choreography, and music absolutely owns, but man are all the characters just big dumb dumbs. Like CW dumb. All the teens and adults and villians too. I'm hoping Henry Rollins is as cunning as I remember as the season 3 baddie.

Pro-bending is great. gently caress the haters. It's one of the only fantasy sports that not only makes sense and you can figure out the rules after one episode but also is fun for the in universe audience to watch. I'm looking at you HP: Goblet of Fire.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Yeah. That was the scene where I was like this is the good poo poo. They perfectly cast Homelander.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Happy Thread posted:

Is there somewhere that Mulan is being talked about? I feel like Disney putting all their financial eggs for the entire year into a basket that's actually CATS the movie levels of mismanaged would be a bigger deal to more people than CATS 2019 was.
*especially in terms of appearing hilarious to actual Chinese people on Chinese forums because of its neverending bizarre cultural mistakes

I feel like Disney made a huge mistake airing it in America first (without Chinese subs and dubs). I haven't seen it, but all the Chinese Americans I know hate it and that'll kill the word if mouth via wechat for its Chinese opening.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Tim Whatley posted:

Watched #Alive on Netflix, Korean zombie film. Not particularly scary but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Is it better or worse than The Night Eats the World? From synopsis alone they have the same exact premise.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Man, after watching Dragon's Dogma I do not have hope for post Warren Ellis Castlevania. Cuz it's essentially Castlevania but stripped of good writing, wit, nuance, and characters. At least the fight scenes will still be good.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Archer this season is just super bad. Something feels really off and none of the jokes land.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The Guest is great and made me realize Dan Stevens was completely wasted on Downtown Abbey. Legion confirmed that later on too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Kiko and the Wonderbeasts wrapped up on Netflix and stuck the landing. Good arcs for all the characters, and a feel good but earned ending. 3 seasons felt the perfect amount of show.

I have to say for a kid friendly show (in Avatar vein)I'm very surprised and pleased they had two fully out happy and healthy gay characters. Like no baiting or beating around the bush or getting fridged.

Also I was surprised Karen Fukuhara voiced the main character because they are definitely wasting her talents on The Boys by making her mute.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

mystes posted:

I'm finally watching class action park, and I have to say that I wasn't expecting how everyone they interviewed sounds like action park was the absolute highlight of their life even as they're describing how stupidly unsafe it was.

Something awesome at 16 has a high chance of being horrifying at 40. I remember my friends would race each other, using each other each other as snow sleds, and it's amazing no one got injured doing so. Still funny as hell looking back.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I'm 2 episodes into Sweet Home on Netflix and it's a lot of fun. It's like a Korean version of REC, except people don't turn into zombies but Monster Mash. Really energetic direction and way more budget for the monster effects than I've honestly seen in awhile.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone watched Sweet Home on Netflix? Pretty great in my opinion

I really enjoyed it... For the first 5 episodes. And then it very clearly ran out of budget.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Omg. Whoever recommended Search Party, thank you. It's amazing. Like a prestige HBO mystery show starring the dumbest narcissists from Girls.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The first three episodes of Alice in Borderland are pretty drat fun so far. It does one thing correct that a lot of gimmick manga adaptations fault at: Don't waste my time. The setup for the show is 10 minutes, and backstories are a minute long. The characters are paper thin tropes but that doesn't matter when they only serve to be delivery systems for action and mystery. The Borderland is the only actually character.

Watch it if you liked the movie Cube, but taking place in all of Shibuya

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

GD_American posted:

Keane Reeves....is good at what he does.

I think that's the crux. Keanu is VERY good at his strengths. Put him in a romcom like The Replacements and he's so bad the studios will memory hole certain scenes on dvd because their howlingly bad (e.g. his big romantic scene in that movie where he crosses a bar to kiss the romantic lead and entire way he's head nodding like a chicken to show attraction. Gone in the dvd release)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Okay, I gotta say I teared up during Boss Level. Because I did not expect it to a big dumb treatise on fatherhood while at the same time my sleeping baby son was holding my hand at the same time. Not cool, thread.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Having baby has broken my brain in so many ways. I honestly judge streaming services to keep by what shows baby likes. And unfortunately it's youtube with it's myriad of drunk Jack Hartman ABC, colors videos

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Simone Magus posted:

I didn't. It's just such a goddamn dour loving slog, Steppenwolf is such a dumb and terrible villain, etc etc

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good actors trying their hardest. And the Flash is legitimately great.

Yeah. I feel like, with Falcon/Winter Soldier dropping so close, it's the whole DC vs. Marvel schism all over again. DC is about gods and Marvel is about people, albeit super powered. And honestly, gods are boring at the hands of Snyder. I want to see Wonder Woman trying to open a bank account card as a single greek woman in the 50s.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Solar Opposites season 2 was good. Binged it in the background while I worked today. The extended Pupa/revolver/Robocop joke setup and punchline got a good laugh out of me.

Too bad show's probably cancelled cuz Tom Middleton is a weird sex pest

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The through line of "Conspiracy theorists are totally right and your children should totally listen to them" is definitely a take in 2021.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or more like 30 seconds if you stop and ask yourself "huh, why do they have numbers tattoo'd on their necks?"

It's a tik tok hype house?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Watching Tigtone on HBO Max and I actually really like it? It's definitely early 2000 Adult Swim flavor in violence and cruelty. But also absurdity, which saves it. The art style was grotesque to me when I first saw it, but it fits the world where everyone but the peasants are all grotesque monsters.

The comedy isn't revelatory or anything but the show is definitely willing to go out there for a laugh. Like the punchline to the Centaur episode stitched me up for how it was both super weird and obviously set up at the same time.

And at 11min an episode no story overstays its welcome.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, they aired tbe pilot first, the problem came after when they skipped the next 5 episodes with the story arc about the Ross and Rachel characters getting over the events of the pilot and being friends again.

For the life of me I don't know why networks do that. The most famous of which is of course Fox skipping the pilot of Firefly that sets up the central mystery and all the character's motivations and relationships.

It's not like it saves them money or something tangible. It just makes no sense.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

smackfu posted:

We are three episodes into Witcher, going in completely blind, and I can’t decide if I like it or not. I feel like the number of times I say “wait, what’s going on?” or “wait, who is that?” is a bit much.

Is this because it’s based on a complicated book? Or is it intentionally confusing? Or am I dumb?

(And one of the problems with Netflix style season dumps is that there is no episode by episode discussion out there.)

They're doing time skips and flashbacks. Unfortunately they didn't give different haircuts or costume changes to the main characters to show what time period they're in.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The problem is that the Witcher books didn't have a metaplot til book 3 so the show has to pretend to have one. The big problem is really that it's a time shifting season where most of the main cast is functionally immortal. So it's extremely hard to place when anything is happening.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

magiccarpet posted:

Anthony Mackie is a charisma black hole. Altered Carbon S2 should have been good. Synchronicity should have been good. But he's just no fun to watch.

Zerozerozero is one of the only Covid watches that really stuck with me. Although I wish Mogwai had a few more tunes for it - when you stream back to back to back the main motif gets very repetitious.

He's just miscast a lot. Like they keep trying to cast him in stoic cool Johnny 5 Aces type roles and he sucks at it. He's much better in more human roles with banter and comedy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Glottis posted:

The Mitchells vs The Machines was really funny and the animation is fantastic at times. It's a stupid kids movie but I enjoyed it a lot. The Furby scene had me laughing out loud

Yeah, it's hella charming. I liked the central conflict between the dad and daughter a lot. Felt real to life and not dumb.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The Runaways did the same. The first season was like the first two issues. Just unbelievably boring filler. It's just arrogance to "save the good poo poo" for season 2.

The Boys did it right by front loading all the hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watched The Suicide Squad last night at a friend's house and it was pretty ok, but just super weird? Margot Robbie and Idris Elba stole the show of course. John Cena is just an awful actor and I hope he stops getting cast in things. Having good actors in these dumb comic book movies at least makes them somewhat tolerable.

I totally disagree. I think Cena was perfectly cast as a totally arrogant rear end in a top hat. Elba definitely stole the show though.