Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

6 Underground is absolutely out of its mind insanity.

Its like if Michael Bay smashed Bad Boys 2, Crank, and Hobbes and Shaw together.

Its politics are.....I don't even know.

Like Im not wrong in basically taking away that its just a massive endorsement for CIA coups right? Its also basically like "we should have killed Assad and supported Syrian rebels".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah that 20min opener is easily one of the best car chases Ive ever seen. Its meticulously put together and the energy is just cocaine fueled hyper insanity.

The parkour sequences are about a decade late though.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Dark is absolutely phenomenal and I just finished season 3 and loved every second of it. Its fantastic and a great ride with a satisfying ending IMO. I cant fathom calling season 3 "not good".

Its a super complex time travel story but its mostly a story about love, consequences and the complex perils of human connection and it nails that real good.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Fire saga is a moderately funny movie, but it should be praised for the final singing sequence which has 2 1/2 minutes where every single camera shot is a sweeping 360.

I appreciated Fire Saga because even though it is incredibly stupid humor, it isnt obnoxious and loud out about it. Im totally happy watching some dumb goofy comedy as long as it doesn't resemble something like The Wrong Missy.

The recurring elf gag and its climax was so perfect.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Just watched Horsegirl and it was one of those movies that I definitely liked but also felt they could have done a lot more fantastic stuff with the concep. They didnt quite "squander" any potential but definitely did not utilize the story as good as they could have.

Alison Brie was fantastic though.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

She Dies Tomorrow was....ok? I was pretty eh on it until it becomes apparent its "spreading" and I was fine with it being pretty abstract but I was at least hoping the ending wouldnt be quite as ambiguous as it was .

Still an interesting debut from Seimetz and it was a pretty poignant message about anxiety but not sure if it was strong enough to justify it being a feature. Would probably have been a much better short.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

1BR stinks so bad of a first time feature made by a guy who made a decent short film once that got noticed so was handed a meandering budget to make an interesting concept he had once but lacks the vision, experience or competence to execute even remotely well.

I have no idea how it got such good reviews. It was laughably terrible in segments.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Glottis posted:

Anyone else watching Raised By Wolves? It's so loving bonkers, I love it.

Yes, its so great. Absolutely bizzare and unpredictable with such a visually design interesting aesthetic.

It also has huge Old Testament parable vibes. Like Earth is the old Assyrian/Near East civilizations and were watching this new world form its own strange mysticism that will one day be passed down as an ancient text of weird mythical stories.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I think The Vow is an interesting look into the very psychology that youre frustrated with. It is truly baffling and its hard to sympathize for obvious reasons but I feel like thats exactly what hes trying to examine. How the gently caress exactly do these reasonabley capable people do this dumb poo poo?

NXIVM is a pretty bizarre cult. Like a Diet Scientology steeped in entrepreneurial business nonsense.

Ive quite enjoyed it and the sheer amount of footage and recordings they have is wild. Ive watched so many cult docs and havent quite seen one like this. Its a good slowburn and the thorough documentation in real time is pretty cool.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Lovecraft Country is fantastic, I legitimately do not understand people's issues with it.

Ep 2 was the only one I wasnt crazy about but every other episode has been great.

Everyone I know loves it and the only major complaints about it I see are from here.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah and reading all the user reviews are baffling as well. I just dont see the flaws people complain about. Its such a cool show and a great mash of genres. Happy to tune in every week for some pulpy horror with social commentary on race. The "dont know what it wants to be complaints" feel like projecting and people are actually saying "its not exactly what I need or want it to be". I feel like I know exactly what it wants to be and it delivers that every week so I truly dont get it.

To each their own though, I think it rules.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The best part about Bly is they cast Mark from The Room as the fiance/groom

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I thought most of the individual stories of Bly Manor were good but they were all structured and tied together pretty poorly. Hill Houses marriage of complex ensemble drama tied together by a haunted house felt much more balanced and natural and connected where this was pretty disjointed.

The episode about Henry and the exhausting monologue by Jamie were definite low points and it was hard for me to get back into it after that. Like the idea of Henrys "inner demon" manifesting is interesting but felt super out of place and had no establishment or relation to the supernatual element of the show.

It really feels like Flannigan didnt want to really do this follow up because he only did the first episode and it really shows.

Overall, episodes 1-5 are great until its revealed the Lady of the Lake killed Peter. 6 and 8 are terrible, 7 is ok and the finale is good for the most part.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 13, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I actually would have liked Bly more if the black and white episode that explained everything had happened earlier in the season.

Yeah and I think I might have enjoyed it if it wasnt done in the storybook narration style but I guess that was the entire show too. I like the story and it was neccessary exposition but just felt really mishandled and way too late in the season.

Too many of the scenes that negated dialogue for voice over felt like watching a cheap historical reenactment show. The over exaggerated facial expressions and gesturing were laughable at times. Whenever it actually had the characters speaking and interacting like actual people it was fine.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Starks posted:

Shudder is an underrated service. Nightingale, Tigers Are Not Afraid, The Beach House, and La Llorona are all better than any movies Netflix has put out the past two years. Is there a shudder thread somewhere on here?

Well thank you so much for mentioning The Nightingale because I went and watched it having no memory of it coming out and holy poo poo that blew me away.

I was NOT emotionally prepared for that rollercoaster and was a sobbing mess by the end.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cA7kwBSUaU
I will watch almost anything Rome related, heres hoping this doesnt suck

Oh hell yes, I have been quite deep into studying Roman history in my freetime during the quarantine so this is perfect.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah that is really weird and I like the show.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Maybe they'll focus on the criminal cases going forward? The season finale is this week, isn't it?

The Vow, the most unexpected Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and Superman spinoff.

Hes being sentenced at the end of this month so Im not even sure what else they could cover?

Maybe Mark and Co. are working on getting the cult totally dissolved and any remaining followers out?

I dont know, its really baffling.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Dark is the best Netflix show you are all insane and wrong

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

The first few episodes were fascinating as they went into how hosed up the cult was, which we got a lot out of because the cult members tried to make a documentary, so there is a TON of footage.

But the last few episodes has just been introducing the audience to new former cult members who were screwed over, and we get their entire backstory. In the end it's just a lot of them reacting to text messages on their Macbook Pros.

I felt like that the past two eps before this one but this one really digging into Keiths absolutely hosed up and twisted version of gender studies kind of brought it back a bit more to the feeling of earlier episodes.

Keith just feels like a more obviously cult like Jordan Peterson at this point.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Helstrom is the most dead on arrival, no one involved gives a poo poo release I have seen in decades

The guy who plays Daimon is like someone asked "Can we find someone more bland and forgettable than Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney combined?".

That show seemed to be comprised almost entirely of scenes with people talking very seriously about the most uninteresting plot anyone has ever written with the occasional really loving terrible telekinesis fight.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

They saved wardrobe cash by having people wear their dullest street wear from home

I had a good laugh imagining what it must have been like on the set during the scene where Daimon had to flash dance the devil out of him in that cell without any of the hamfisted serious spooky music and only the "quarterback who got to be in one high school theater production" level of Tom Austens physical acting.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think this describes my feelings on it as well. There were a few funny parts like when they were moving the body around and such, but when the secret police chief tells multiple jokes about raping women in exchange for letting their families out of gulags I was very confused at how anyone could find that humorous at all.

Yeah Im pretty much in the same boat. I watched it when it first came out and found myself really uncomfortable and put off by the way they framed Beriyas historically accurate penchant for serial rape.

I definitely was laughing a lot in the movie but there was just something tonally jarring, even for a black comedy, about those scenes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

A colleague of mine was a lead producer on a big comedy show for Quibi and whenever I trashed Quibi on social media hed always reply defending the content, insisting if you look past the platform format that it provides good content.

It was always kinda sad because while I would never wish for any kind of failure upon him, it was like watching him yell from inside a bus clearly headed for a cliff that the people inside were fine and maybe the bus could fly.

"Narrator: It could not"

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Witches remake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Probably one of the worst movies Ive watched this year.

Octavia Spencer inexplicably having all of the info needed to just dump exposition about the witches every scene, the god awful CGI, Hathaways over the top but completely unconvincing performance, the script in general. The fact they cast Kristin Chenoweth as the voice of a child was a perfect example of just how braindead this production was. It was an absolute disaster.

I belly laughed that the final shot was a pan and scan of a god awful photoshop composite still.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody seen the "Barbarians" miniseries yet?

It owns. I rewatched HBOs Rome in sort of a lead up to it so I could pretend this was, in a way, the continuation we never got and so far I am really enjoying it and its filling that long left open hole as much as possible.

Im fairly into Roman history and while it of course takes some liberties to add more drama, it is also fairly historically accurate thus far.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I've only watched the first episode so I'm still on the fence, but the fact that they made all the Romans actually speak in Latin is pretty bonkers.

Its definitely not as "exciting" as the trailer made it out and the famous battle is highly highly condensed which was pretty disappointing because I was hoping theyd take the chance they had to really portray something like that in its full span over several episodes but all in all I enjoyed it.

But Im also incredibly forgiving of shows/movies like this because I cherish any decent attempt to portray this era of history.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

married but discreet posted:

Is there a dubbed version of Barbarians around, any language but German? From the trailer the fancy TV German of the Germans is absolutely unbearable, even worse than Dark.

What does "fancy TV German" even mean?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Keith Raniere got sentenced to 120 years today and I wish theyd just not do season 2 and give that fucker any more of a platform to spin his bullshit.

But how else will Mark Vicente stay relevant I guess.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah maybe dont call victims of a cult who left after learning of the abuses and were instrumental in taking its leader down and putting him in prison "perpetrators" and call for jail time.

What exactly is the crime they committed? Being gullible?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I did and I get where youre coming from I guess but I just have some personal connections to cult victims I dont want to get into and I try to empathize as much as I can with people who were in their positions. Its not an admonishing of their actions, its just a lot more complicated than that from my experience.

A lot of the biggest figures in the fight against Scientology were high high ranking members guilty of similar stuff but theyre doing and did important work and as much as its easy to drat them for their time spent in the cult I think its worth giving these people some benefit of the doubt when theyre willing to help fight what they helped build.

I fully get why people are unsympathetic towards Mark and co. after The Vow.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country. While I can tell the show is quality, I just feel that it is far too confusing. Like I barely understood what was going on in Episode 2. To add to it, while I understand the show constantly depicts racism and the message of how whites are as dangerous to blacks as the mythical monsters, it all just doesn't mesh as well as it should.

Am I alone in this? Does this show get better?

Episode 2 is the low point and unfortunately as is the finale for similar reasons.

Every other episode is great and the show functions much better as a pulpy horror genre anthology about racism and the black experience but kinda falls apart whenever it focuses on the main arc. The main plot was fine as a sort of loose thread to guide and tie the episodes together but its emotionally weightless and boring nonsense when its the main focus of an episode.

As a result the finale kinda swings and misses as it is much more in line with episode 2.

The show is a solid 8/10 though.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

They go over that in The Vow too though? Sarah, her husband and Mark are all pretty explicit about their role and guilt over having recruited people. Sarah explicitly explains "this is my income and job" early in the show. Theres an entire conversation between Mark and Anthony about that guilt.

Theres also entire segments and an entire episode about "Mark buying into Keiths bullshit" in The Vow. Plenty of clips of him fauning over the guy.

He is the guy who made that awful "What the Bleep" doc so it doesnt surprise me at a NXIVM got him hook line and sinker.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

david_a posted:

I watched Greyhound on Apple TV. Movie was... fine I guess, nothing special but a decent 90 minute watch about WWII Atlantic sub warfare (seems like a good double header with the far superior Das Boot).

What I was mainly fascinated by was that it sure didn’t seem like this movie was 24 FPS. It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release so this struck me as curious. Maybe it’s because I’m drunk as hell but that sure looked like 30 FPS to me. Anybody know more about the technical aspects of the movie?

It’s kind of fascinating how far CGI has come; the ship scenes looked fake (airplanes doubly so) but I don’t think it was the ocean itself that stood out.

Most likely just the shutterspeed they shot at, I doubt they shot or finished it at 30fps, especially with how CGI heavy it was.

Just a consequence of the way some people shoot and light digital. Michael Manns earlier digital films, Collateral and Public Enemies, had a similar effect.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Its Colin Trevorrows first movie and itll always blow my mind he jumped to Jurrasic World and (almost) Star Wars Ep 9 from that little indie comedy.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

Lucy dealt with that too I think

Yes to its extreme logical conclusion and by the end Lucy literally becomes God.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

HBOs Heavens Gate: Cult of Cults is a cult documentary that solved all the issues people had with The Vow.

Its 4 parts and achieves much of the same in humanizing the cult victims without dragging anything out.

I still think The Vow did a better job of showing you how cults appeal to and brainwash higher functioning adults but Heavens Gate is so much more "out there" in its base belief its a harder lens to examine that idea through.

I will say I had a solid laugh at Sawyers leaving story being he couldnt stop jerking it and felt guilty. Usually it's some tragic change of heart or turn of events but nope, just too horny for space aliens.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 8, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Raised by Wolves is weirdo scifi driven by mystical allegory and it owns. Its very much Prometheus/Covenant Ridley Scott territory and is mostly about setting up this crazy story where the idea is "what kind of insane poo poo would have to happen for a new religion to form on a planet newly inhabited by humans"

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Boco_T posted:

I'm 4 episodes into the first season of Alone, a History Channel show on Hulu where they drop 10 people into the wilderness with some cameras and bears around and the last one that doesn't tap out gets $500,000. It's the perfect show for me because I get to watch a lot of dinguses that I hate suffer and it's putting the doomsday prepper stereotypes that I love to the test. I'm also kinda into the idea that I don't even know how many episodes the season is or how many days to expect them to last. I'm enjoying it.

Alone was my initial quarantine binge and really helped me deal with the early stretches of mental stress. Its honestly a fascinating show psychologicaly and as you said has the added bonus of watching a bunch of preppers get outlasted by some random hippie naturalist.

Theres nothing thatll quite get you feeling ok about being stuck in your nice, heated house with intetnet and endless entertainment like watching someone willingly starve to death in a freezing wet forrest while fending of predators for money.

Season 3 and 6 are definitely the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Also going to reccomend The Expanse and echo it is top TV sci-fi of all time. It is only surpassed by BSG and Star Trek for me.

Besides the amazing comso-political drama and social commentary, the simple adherence to gravity is such an amazing and special aspect of the shows thrills and tension.