Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I'm really late to the game, but I'm watching Fleabag on Amazon Prime, and it's fantastic. Which, just in time for season 2 which I believe starts soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Does Tuca and Bertie get good? First impression is that itís trying too hard to be an Adult Swim show

Have you never seen BoJack Horseman? It's a spinoff of that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Comedy fans, especially Saturday Night Live fans, may want to check out the new Netflix original movie Wine Country. It is Amy Poehler's directorial debut, and it stars Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, Paula Pell, Emily Spivey, and Tina Fey.

My wife and I actually thought it was terrible, but I suspect others may be more forgiving with it, for the cast alone if nothing else.

Yeah, I love all of those ladies.

Friday night I opened a bottle of wine and sat down to watch it.

It's truly terrible. A waste of talent.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lycus posted:

I enjoyed it, though I thought it was very predictable.

Yeah, they plan for a cliffhanger ending at the end of each episode, and they also foreshadow that twist each episode, so it becomes very predictable. They have an actual Chekov's Gun in the show.

I still liked the show mostly based on the performances.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is this show Colony on Netflix? Iím on ep 2 and it seems ok. Gosh I just need a good well produced semi-sci fi adventure action drama show. Iíve watched OA and most many mainstream things. Any recs for shoes that may have flown a bit under the radar?

Season 1 was entertaining enough.

Season 2 on the other hand, oof. I'm not sure I've ever seen a show that had such a dramatic turn in quality as Colony season 2. The plot just became extremely repetitive, they tried expanding the scope of the show without expanding the budget so there was just lots of filming in old warehouses and factories, and there was an increased focus on children causing trouble just because they were stubborn and stupid children. Like, every episode.

I didn't stick around for season 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Euphoriaphone posted:

I just watched Always Be My Maybe, and holy poo poo Marcus is the most genuinely irritating character I've seen, especially for a lead. He's such a prick at every moment for absolutely no reason. It really doesn't help that Randall Park's voice makes everything he says sound sarcastic.

Not to mention the movie was just bad. Pretty much every moment with the assistant character was just "it will be funny if I just write my stand-up act here, or the several moments they have Ali Wong ADR stand-up style lines when the back of her head is to the camera.

EDIT: That scene near the end after the gala when Marcus, the embodiment of a failson, simultaneously man- and Asian-splains the theory of cuisine to one of the most renowned chefs in the country was enraging. Not only was he belittling the success she's had for unspecified reasons, but he also accuses her of appropriating her own culture, while racistly insisting that all Asian cuisine is the same.

Randall Park and Ali Wong had zero chemistry in the movie, and even seeing their history together, I couldn't understand what they saw in each other or why they wanted to be together.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

It makes more sense when you realize it was directed by Drew Goddard who did Cabin in the Woods.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I loved cabin in the woods though.

Me too. Things just kind of happen in both movies and they're fun and I loved them both. I was shocked at how much I loved Bad Times, even if what was happening didn't always make sense.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I just watched Crashing on Netflix. Not Crashing the HBO show with Pete Holmes, but rather Crashing the British show with Phoebe Waller-Bridge of Fleabag fame.

It's about a group of people who live in an abandoned hospital. I'm not really sure what point the setting served to the story, but it was very funny.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Do they maintain a cool 80s conspiracy theory element or is it mostly just about the kids and monsters now?

It's mostly the kids all working separately, and unaware of the others involvement, to uncover the mystery. The monsters play a much smaller role. It's almost like Netflix gave them a much smaller budget. I don't understand hwy it took them 2 years to put this season together.

It is better than season 2 though.

Edit: Actually, I take the smaller budget back. I think they put all of their money into perfectly recreating an entire 1980s mall to look brand new, instead of placing it into CG budget like in the first two seasons.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 5, 2019

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Yo, don't sleep on Easy on Netflix. Despite the boring name it's absolutely loving phenomenal.

I know I watched the first two seasons. I remember nothing about them except that Marc Maron is in some episodes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Scoops Ahoy isn't real but Hot Dog On A Stick is, oddly enough. I haven't seen one in 20 years but I remember back in the 90s they had this awful uniform where their employees had to wear a fez.

I remember only hearing of it for the first time on an episode of I think Fresh Prince. I just looked it up, and it looks like it still exists, but only in the southwest and California. So I guess if we're getting picky, it's extremely unlikely that they would have been in a New Jersey mall. But neither would be demogorgans.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm taking the new Veronica Mars slow-ish, but through 3 episodes it's really good so far.

It took a little while to get going, but once it did, it felt like classic Veronica Mars.

That ending though. Be careful, all of the major entertainment sites have been spoiling it in headlines. Don't google Veronica Mars until you're done watching.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The final season of Orange is the New Black is up. Definitely an improvement over last season. At the start of the season, ICE is a big presence, but becomes less so as they wrap up the storylines for our major characters.

I'm happy with the way they wrap things up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Just finished Orange is the New Black. Not only did they shoehorn in some manipulative current events poo poo with ICE, they directly had it up against a well-connected white girl on parole's life being just, like, so hard because she can't have a pot brownie for six months with no shred of irony. Life's just so unfair you guys! Now here's a scene of a mother desperately trying to reach out to her kids who think she just up and vanished one day, followed by Piper getting seduced by a wealthy redhead... but aw, she misses her prison wife!

They also spent way too much time on the former subplot and tried to make us care about characters that unceremoniously disappeared towards the end, as in they showed them disappearing. I get it, ICE is the currently worst thing to happen in ever. Have a spin-off maybe, there were so many plot threads dangling for characters that have been there since the beginning. There are parts of the show I'll always like, but it's going to be a hard rewatch, if ever.

Wow. How horrible for you to be forced to have to think about something important.

gently caress off you piece of poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

This response seems...extreme. I feel like i'm on twitter

This is the morning after two white supremacists in two separate domestic terrorist attacks shot and murdered 26 people, injured 20 more, and left behind manifestos filled with hate against immigrants.

The poster above decided it would be appropriate to write a derisive comment dripping with condescension complaining about being forced to have to think about issues that immigrants have to go through.

About a show that has always had immigrant stories, particularly Latinx, at its forefront. A show that has always had social justice issues at the front and center. (Didn't we just finish a full three seasons dealing with the Black Lives Matter movement?)

They complained about the story about an ICE detention facility being shoehorned in, when they actually began setting it up last season.

How well they handled the story is a legitimate discussion. But their comments were gross and disgusting. I shouldn't have to explain myself, you should be holding the above poster accountable.

Orange is the New Black didn't do anything this season that they haven't done every single season prior to this one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sponges posted:

Friends is pretty homophobic by todayís standards. Iím surprised people even bother with it. Itís a relic.

You're actually right. I remember loving the show when it was first on, and it was super progressive for the 90s. I remember the lesbian wedding episode was banned from stations all across the country. And I gladly watched it in reruns for years.

But a few years ago I was watching it on reruns (before it showed up on Netflix) and I noticed that it had a ton of gay jokes that really weren't holding up. So I thought i would do a fun experiment, and I wanted to start a blog that documented every gay joke on Friends.

As it turned out, I burned out very quickly. It's much more than just a couple times of Chandler being worried that people think he's gay. Pretty much every single episode has at least a couple of line where the punchline is just, "gay! hahahaha!"

Very few of them are truly bad, like I said, they were progressive for the time. They just don't hold up well 20 years later.

At least until they introduce Chandler's dad, at which point the jokes are indeed straight up transphobic.

Really, Friends was always a show that relied more on the chemistry of the cast than on the sharpness of the jokes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ammanas posted:

i imagine a lot of the material was progressive views being introduced to a broadly hostile society and the humor, even if base, reflects americas discomfort and hostility toward LGTBQ issues. will and grace was probably the same way.

You're right, the older Will & Grace is much the same way.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Seriously. An editor went out into a newsroom and said, "give me your hottest take" and some guy stood up and said that the show that's been off the air for a decade and a half is actually bad

Enh, along with The Office, Friends has gotten a huge resurgence in popularity thanks to Netflix. A whole new generation of people are getting into the show who were barely toddlers when the show went off the air. When it was announced that Friends would be leaving Netflix for Warner Bro's new streaming service, people flipped out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pahuyuth posted:

S1 was indeed great. How is S2?

I loved season 1. Can't get into season 2 so far.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw bullshit. Disney already cancelled the planned Muppets show for Disney+.

There is still a second Muppets show in development for Disney+ I believe.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Still have a few episodes left but Glow S3 isnít a comedy. This is a drama with comedic elements.

Yeah, season 3 wasn't nearly as good as the first two seasons. A change of location should have reinvigorated the show, but instead they literally did the same thing every single week. There was some good character development, but it's probably a good thing that they've announced that the show will end after next season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I just finished The Politician on Netflix, the new Ryan Murphy show starring Ben Platt.

Ben Platt is fantastic in it, and they were smart to give him opportunities to show off his singing in ways that didn't seem out of place.

And while the show is entertaining, it's also kind of a complete mess. It can't decide if it wants to be Rushmore, Election, Glee, or The Act. It takes many elements directly from each of these, but does not do them as well as any of them. It jumps from plot point to plot point, twists and backstabs, without reason or explanation. There exist subplots solely to serve as places to stick Ryan Murphy's friends that have absolutely bearing on the plot. And there are two "lead" actresses who look identical, with identical haircuts, and similar names, so it's difficult to distinguish between them. And I say lead, because this really is Ben Platt's show, I think both of these actresses were supposed to be major characters, but their storylines were so shoddily treated and barely there that I was surprised when they suddenly become "important" in the final episode.

I am excited to see how things move forward with Judith Light and Bette Midler.

And finally, while I absolutely love Sufjan Stevens, the use of his song "Chicago" as the main theme seemed out of place. And it's interesting to see them trying to give a Sufjanesque sound to the rest of the show's music.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ignis posted:

If you didn't like the first episodes of Disenchanted you probably won't like the rest of it much

Nah, Disenchanted does get better, but 2 seasons in, and it's still no Simpsons or Futurama.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alec Eiffel posted:

It boggles my mind that a bunch of people think it's hilarious that there is a movie called "The Ugly Dachshund" (or any other example from these Twitter posts) as if these movies haven't always existed for most of them. These people act like they discovered some amazing treasure trove of comedic or obscure titles but it's goddamned Disney.

It's like those Twitter threads where someone attempts to expose the seedy underside to some historical moment as if there aren't dissertations and books aplenty on the subject and they've only just found out about it and assume everyone else is equally ignorant.

To be honest, you sound like you're angry that people have never heard of obscure cultural references from your childhood.

The fact is, most of these movies have been forgotten for a reason. Many of them aren't good, and haven't held up over time. They're not lost treasures, and just because there is some trove of awareness of these somewhere doesn't mean that the rest of society are morons for having never heard of them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

is Queer Eye huge in Japan or something? I can't for the life of me figure out why they decided to set the newest season there. I don't like it cause I can't watch it in the background while I'm doing other poo poo.

I'd still check it out. It's only 4 episodes, at times super cute, and at times super heartbreaking.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

They didnít even have kids incorporated anyways.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and Fergie(licious)!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I think some of you aren't going to be happy until we get a Star Wars show done by David Simon about the underground sex trade of Coruscant, trafficking twi'lek sex slaves, funded by death sticks money, from the gritty streets of Level 1313, all the way to the upper echelons of power in the Galactic Senate.

Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Mandalorian is FUN.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Least gratuitous mob portrayal is The Deuce.

The Deuce was so underrated. The mob was in the background. Took more of a prominent role in the last few episodes of the show, but the show was never about the mob.

I appreciated that they showed how the mob basically was responsible for the gay social scene in NYC up until the 80s. And that they were clear what a POS Ed Koch was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Disposable Scud posted:

Did Witcher have all its money spent on Cavill's fee and CGI? This poo poo looks like a modern version of those syndicated shows from the 90's.

It gets better a few episodes in. It's pretty slow to start.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tainen posted:

I wish they were a bit more clear that we are seeing several different time lines. It only became clear part way through episode 4 when everything was taking place.

I agree. I didn't even realize that until I read an episode summary as I was a little confused by something that happened, and they pointed out the different time lines. Apparently we are supposed to pick it up from when they talk about who is ruling what kingdom at the time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Three recommendations from this weekend:

Season 4 of The Magicians has been up on Netflix for a few weeks now, and I got to rewatch it. It really is one of the most compelling shows on TV, and everyone should struggle through the rough season 1 to get to the brilliant later seasons.

The new John Mulaney kids special is legit weird and hilarious and much more enjoyable than I expected.

I unfairly wrote off You because it started as a Lifetime show. Turns out to be insanely compelling, and I couldn't stop watching.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

VaultAggie posted:

Do they ever get rid of the main character in The Magicians? He made the show unwatchable for me.

He actually got a lot better in season 4. Only for them to kill him off in a very permanent way. The producers afterwards confirmed that Jason Ralph came to them after filming season 4 saying he didn't want to do the show anymore. They shot additional scenes to make the rest of the cast think he was not really dead, then didn't include that scene in the final cut. So, yeah, he's gone, and the fans were generally devastated.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird? The arguments in favor to the traditional weekly model mostly all revolve around keeping hype around the show, rather than the content of the show itself. Hype being the most important thing.

For gently caress sake, don't bring back the old ways just because you want to savor baby Yoda memes.

I found the weekly release of the Mandalorian to be annoying because all of the media outlets fought to get their episode recaps out right away, and there were spoilers everywhere. I knew about baby Yoda hours before I even watched the first episode. I ended up stealthily watching every episode at my desk at work every Friday morning.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Budget Bradley Cooper. I usually dislike him in anything he's in, but I watched The Conjuring not long ago and my opinion of him is shifting.

He's really good in HBO's Angels in America.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

I must be the only person that likes all of Girls. I wouldnít call it great and it did have dip in quality, but I enjoyed every season of it.

I agree, I watched it all the way through too. Although, I think what made the show great early on was the friendships, and the show really suffered in the later seasons when pulled away from that. Plus, the character choices they made with Marnie and basically making her a sociopath were absolutely bewildering.

nate fisher posted:

Also when Entourage was released it was a pretty positive reviewed show, and everyone seemed to like it. I really thought Kevin Dillonís character was fun during the early seasons. That said around the time Sasha Grey showed up the backlash against it started. I did try to watch an episode in the last year or so, and it was painful. It is amazing how you can enjoy something 15 years ago, and now think it is complete trash.

There was a point around the time when they aired two seasons back to back that all of my friends would come over every Sunday to watch the show. And I don't even remember when, but we all just stopped watching the show and never returned. It went from being our favorite, to completely insufferable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Also I was a sucker for the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey (you know who left the show in season 3 and it became a pure soap), so I am sort of hyped for Fellowes' new Netflix series coming this month.

Season 2 had a loving amnesia plot line. The rest of the season was the characters were worried each week what's his name wasn't going to make it back from the war that weekend in time for the dinner party. You're fooling yourself if you think the show didn't become pure soap until season 4.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

OMG it did. I guess I just honestly kind of liked the show until the big death in season 3. Also I now remember how stupid the Bates story with the murder stuff. I guess selective memory by me.

Haha, yeah, I loved season 1, I think I watched it twice in one weekend. So I was shocked at how quickly the quality went down hill as the show went on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I know this isn't one that is on everybody's radar on the Streaming thread, but Survivor is currently on its 40th season, and on this season every single player has won at least once before.

So that's prompted me to go back and rewatch old seasons. Most seasons are on Hulu, although strangely some seasons are missing a couple of episodes randomly, like sometimes even the season premiere. I'm not sure if it's an error, or some strange rights issue.

But I'm having a blast. I've watched every season over the last 20 years, but at this point, after 40 seasons, I don't remember everything. So while I might recall the big moves and who the winners are, it's like I'm watching them for the first time again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Have they done 2 seasons a year since it started? People still watch it?

20 years!?

People always ask these two exact questions every time I talk about Survivor.

Yes, 2 seasons a year, and it still does very well. It has a very dedicated audience. I personally think the show is better than ever. It's more focused on gameplay strategy than basic survival, which was the focus of earlier seasons.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wormil posted:

Same on Amazon, random episodes missing which killed my enthusiasm for rewatching. I enjoy listening to Hantz and other players talk about the new season, and behind the scenes stuff, even though it breaks the illusion a bit.

I think Russell both reinvigorated the show, but also forced the show into a rough patch for several seasons in the mid 20s. That was peak producer intervention, and peak casting of model/actors. Bringing Russell back 3 times in just 2 years was just too much. And then when they realized that people had had enough of him, they decided, "Well, the people loved one Hantz. Why not bring in his dim-witted nephew for a couple of seasons?"

I'm glad the show has recovered from the Russell era. But I can't help admit that he forced the level of strategy to a whole new level never seen before, and it hasn't really dropped since.