Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The movie About Time is streaming on Netflix. It's from 2013 but I never saw it before last night. It's very sweet and well done and has a good message.

It's such a wonderful movie, and Domhnall Gleeson is adorable in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

A lot HBO shows in recent years have the tendency to knock your socks off right out of the gate and slowly degrade into mediocrity or crap.

That's usually Showtime's MO. I think the only Showtime show that managed to stay good the longest was Dexter before it went to crap, with 4 seasons. Most of their shows only stay good for max two seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm watching Tiger King and I'm confused in how Carol is different than anyone else. I mean...she puts the tigers in cages too...

I'm on episode 3 I think right now. I think the idea is that she currently is not breeding any cats. She just takes big cats from people who can no longer handle them on their own. Whereas Joe was actively breeding cats to sell across the country, and Doc was breeding and then killing cats when they were no longer useful to him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't there a way they can just release the tigers back in the wild?

The problem is that they've been raised to be comfortable with people. It's incredibly dangerous to release them into the wild. It's why they are sent to sanctuaries if they can. Otherwise they're put down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the difference between a sanctuary and a zoo? Her place and Joe Exotic's didn't seem any different from the episodes I've seen.

There are only so many zoos. The show pointed out that there are more big cats kept in private captivity than there are in the wild.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How are the cats at her place living anywhere close to how they do in the wild? They are in cages the size of my apartment!

You're right, it's obviously not ideal. The regulation around private ownership of exotic animals is lax enough as it is in the US. There is no money in preserving great swaths of land to be able to sustain big cats that (according to the show) need 400 square miles of territory each.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SgtScruffy posted:

Is Six Feet Under any good/has it held up? I've heard the finale is one of the best ever, but that's about all I've heard of it. Worth the time?

I haven't rewatched it in a couple of years, but it is overall very good. There are a couple of subplots that I don't really care for, Lisa's murder and David's assault, but the show holds up. It's a great look into early 2000s life.

And you're right about the series finale. I remember watching it with a friend who had never seen the show before, and those last 10 minutes had her in tears.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Medullah posted:

Silicon Valley is good but Barry guys, watch the gently caress out of Barry

I watched season 1 of Barry, and honestly don't get the hype around the show. It was fine, but didn't find it particularly funny. I've talked to all of my friends about it, who are all equally ambivalent about it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The show is also almost 20 years old now. It pioneered a lot of the comedy that we've seen in the last two decades.

I personally think the show peaked with season 3, and has been hit and miss since then. I appreciate though that Larry will take a few years off and come back when he feels up to it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don't have much of an opinion about Curb season 4 overall, but The Car Pool Lane is one of the best episodes of the series.

If not just on its own merits, but that episode also famously saved a man from death row.

https://www.gq.com/story/how-curb-your-enthusiasm-saved-a-man-from-death-row

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Check out Booksmart on Hulu. Coming of age comedy. Reminded me of PEN15 a bit

Absolutely nothing like Pen15, but both are great

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm on the final episode of the new Ryan Murphy Netflix show, Hollywood.

I know a lot of Ryan Murphy's shows are inconsistent, but are generally still entertaining enough to keep watching.

Hollywood is maybe the worst thing he's ever done?

The tone is wildly inconsistent. It can't tell if it is a light hearted comedy throwback to old school Hollywood movies, or an edgy take on the racism and homophobia in Hollywood. Any obstacles any of the characters face, they are immediately resolved in the next scene. Dumped by the love of their life? They find new love minutes later. Characters are introduced setup to be important to the plot, and then immediately forgotten. All of the characters are fictional, except for Rock Hudson? Why is Rock Hudson a character? Why not!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I realized recently that I never got around to watching Maniac on Netflix. Is that something that's worth going back and check out? I haven't heard anyone talk about it since it was first released with a ton of hype.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does Schitt's Creek have a rough opening, or if I found the first two episodes pretty lousy should I call it there? Comedy is subjective, not saying others can't love it, just wondering if it's like Parks and Rec where the standard thinking is that it gets better.

I wouldn't call the start rough, but they do take some time to find themselves, and the show eventually grows a lot of heart. I think that the show very easily could have become very cynical, but it went the opposite direction and became a better show because of it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im on season 3 of Mad Men and lmao at the discovery/hallucination about Don's real name being based in vengeful castration

As someone who has watched the show several times, including a recent rewatch, I have no clue what you're talking about. Care to explain?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

When Don is imagining his origins and circumstances of his birth/conception. Don's dad convinced Don's mom (a sex worker) to sleep with him without a condom saying he couldnt afford one. She warns him, afraid of getting knocked up or getting an STD: “I'm going to cut your dick off and boil it in hog fat.” (if anything bad comes of this)
She's feverishly repeating the same thing when she dies giving birth to Don, and when the midwife drops Don off to his step mom she makes a comment like "he's named after his mother's last wish"
So Dick Whitman's name is inspired by his mom's wish to castrate his dad.
At least in his own head and it's canon for me lmao

Thanks. I definitely remember that part, I think the joke just slipped past me. For a serious drama, Mad Men makes me laugh more than pretty much any other show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The MSJ posted:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix

Excellent season one. It somehow becomes a standard teen drama despite all the satan stuff after that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

al-azad posted:

Anybody have positive review for Middleditch and Schwartz?

I laughed quite a bit at the first episode. Been meaning to go back to it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I just watched the documentary Tickled on hulu last night. you really can't say anything about it as it'd give too much away. :magical:

I think you can give the basic premise that it's a documentary by David Ferrier about the dark underground world of competitive tickling.

It's crazy where the movie goes.

He also has that Netflix show Dark Tourist which is also worth checking out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

gently caress everything, where can I stream the best of Fred Willard,(that's most his movies)

Off the top of my head, Wall-E is on Disney+

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

well no more free HBO on hulu so I only got three seasons into the sopranos.

It seemed like it was getting a bit formulaic though, someone sympathetic is a rat, someone who's put into the family by merger/deals/whatever ends up being a shithead. Tony shows himself as an antihero protagonist by gleefully getting rid of the latter, regretfully the former.

I know how the series final plays out. Does season 4+ change the formula considerably?

No. I get that it was revolutionary for 1999 when it first aired. But watching it for the first time with all of the quality television we have today, I think your assessment is correct, in retrospect it is pretty formulaic. Great acting, but I got bored with it, and I only finished it at the insistence of an ex.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I think Lechtansi has a point, but it's more that the shorter season order of shows allows them not to feel stretched out to infinity and to have their budgets used to appear a bit more cinematic. I still think that the bottom of today's barrel is as bad as the bottom of 1985's barrel, and the peak of today is only a bit higher than the peak of the same time, and probably the average is about the same all things said and done, but a show that would get a 26 episode order then is much likelier to be tighter and more concise today. Maybe?

Oh, I don't know. I think you might be giving older shows more credit than they deserve. Very few shows before the modern era actually planned out the story beyond a stray 2 or 3 episode arc. Even peak television like Twin Peaks and X-Files suffered because despite promises of mysteries to be solved, they were ultimately just pulling poo poo out of their rear end. Most everything was story of the week or procedural, and if you happened to get a good character moment, it was sheer luck.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Looking through random TV lineups is always eye-opening. There was a Fast Times at Ridgemont High show??

There was a Ferris Bueller tv show starring Jennifer Aniston pre nose job.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

People think the average quality of all art has gone up, but they're just confusing production values for quality.

To put it another way, think about music. Nobody has invented a new note or a new chord. It uses largely the same instruments, too. Even electronic elements aren't introducing new scales or new note theory or new chord progressions.

A Beatles record, or a Sebadoh record, sound noticeably rough compared to like, Imagine Dragons. But they sure as hell aren't worse.

Can you provide a list of older shows that prove this? That hold up across the board in terms of quality against the best shows of the last 15, 20 years?

I don't think that anybody is arguing the shows today are better because they have a better budget or access to better technology. It all comes down to the storytelling.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest reason that episodic television seems so much better now is probably the switch from 22+ episodes per season to 8-10 episodes per season. I imagine it's almost impossible to write 22 episodes of something, every year for years and not have it result in a huge dip in quality.

And to go with this, the goal isn't necessarily to get a show to at least 100 episodes to go to syndication anymore. Between streaming on demand, and the push back from content creators to end their stories when they want to rather than at the whim of the network to keep on ordering season after season, meaning they can never meaningfully wrap up a story because they have to keep it going.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

Anyone else watch Upload? I enjoyed it. I by no means think anyone would enjoy it as much as the shows I'm going to mention next, but it has similar elements to The Good Place and Superstore. It is much less zany than The Good Place (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but has the same elements of basically anything being possible except in this case there are at least some rules. It's also got a strange sort of relaxation similar to Superstore with its random interstitials. I dunno, maybe my standards are dropping, but I'd watch more.

I've avoided it because it looked too similar to The Good Place, which is strange since both of their creators come out of The Office. Also, the lead actor looks like he has zero charisma in all the commercials. But I have heard from other people that they liked it.

Glottis posted:

I'm afraid to watch it but probably will because she's the best and deserves leading roles

Same. Lauren Lapkus is the best.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm finally watching Hunters on Amazon right now, and I was wrong to put it off. I'm really enjoying it. One strange thing though is that it takes place in the 1970s. They have all these characters who were young during WW2, but then the actors playing them in "present" day are all ancient. I suspect that what happened was when they cast Al Pacino, they were like, "gently caress, well, now we have to cast everyone else to be his age."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I did a little searching and the little I found says either:

- Amazon version is missing content

Speaking of, I read yesterday that God's Own Country on Amazon is missing scenes, particularly sex scenes. Amazon released a statement stating that it wasn't their doing, that it's the version that the studio (MGM) sent to them. MGM said they edited it because they thought the scenes would force an M rating on the film. Apparently though, the original version is available on Kanopy, a streaming service I keep forgetting is available to pretty much everybody.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They also have Studio Ghibili movies. Starting Spirited Away on my lunch break.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is this the first time they've been available on a streaming service?

Yup, first time.

veni veni veni posted:

If someone has HBO now already, do they need to cancel/convert to HBO Max, or it it just done automatically?

On the website I had to confirm that I wanted to convert to HBO Max. It wasn't available on my Amazon Fire Stick. My Android phone already had it updated and I didn't need to log in again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Deadite posted:

Why won’t HBO put Tales from the Crypt on to their streaming services? Or any of their early original shows for that matter?

Are there music rights issues?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching the MLK assassination episode of Mad Men and im curious...does anyone feel its kinda affected by a more modern perspectice? Im not asserting it is, just asking.
What i mean is we see all these fairly rich white NYC characters seemingly overcome, reacting in grief publicly, calling their estranged spouses and checking in like this shakes them ala JFK
We all know MLK wasn't the vanilla embraced figure of liberal consensus they try to make him out to be now...were the reactions to his assassination really on that universal widespread level?
It just feels weird to have so many of the white characters acting in a consensus of aghast personally-affected horror. Was it really a moment like that or is this modern liberal sensibilities trying to smoothen history?
Like the Petes and Trudys of the time actually cared? Really? The Petes and Trudys of today don't really care about black activists dying.

Oh, I don't know. Betty definitely felt more inconvenienced by it. Betty was definitely racist. Remember how she treated Carla? After the "I Have a Dream" speech she told Carla that now wasn't the time for equal rights. Then she cruelly fired Carla, who basically raised her children, because she let Glenn, who Betty had an irrational hatred of, into the house.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Are you referring to the road rules/real world thing?

Edit: Oh nope, definitely not that

So it's not hosted by TJ Lavin?

nate fisher posted:

I have been rewatching the great Parts Unknown on HBO Max, and it has one of the worst intro songs. How could have Anthony approved that song?

I probably would never normally like the song, but my love for Anthony Bourdain shows no boundaries. I miss him so much, and I'm so glad to finally have access to the full series. For years, Netflix only had the last few seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

beanieson posted:

On my Roku HBOgo is still there and HBO Max is not yet available. I was able to install Max on my tablet and cast the video to my Tv but it’s kinda clunky and I wish Roku would get the drat app...

Yeah, I have HBO Now on my Firestick, and HBO Max on my PS4 and Android phone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

I think in his younger days he did a lot of dancing ala Fred Astaire and so they wanted him to show off his chops during his send-off.

That's exactly right.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Clueless is back on Netflix after being absent from any streaming service for a few years. It turns 25 years old this year, and still holds up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s even the point of a host-less Unsolved Mysteries?

The cheesy reenactments?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Papercut posted:

I rewatched Clueless last night and it was even better than I remember. That movie is amazing.

It loving holds up 25 years later.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

The DJ was a baffling choice. Ah yes, let’s take this good looking guy who is well off with a nice house and convince him to quit his day job to follow his lame DJ dream. So inspiring.

But yeah overall it felt 50/50. Half of them were good but the other half was like “why is this person on the show?”

That guy was still behaving like a frat boy at 40, so I could understand why they did him. I didn't understand the 18 year old activist. She was so young, living in a group house with friends, and had experienced nothing challenging in life. She's 18, still figuring stuff out, and seemed very driven. They didn't even do that much with her. That one baffled me.

Also I've realized that as the show has gone on, Antoni has started behaving more and more strangely each season. I've realized that he's someone who is probably very naturally a very strange person, he's just more comfortable about showing it 4 (?) seasons in. He's someone who has just benefited greatly in life from being ridiculously good looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chas McGill posted:

I can forgive the bad episodes because the Tyreek episode was awesome.

Antony on the other hand...he wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Hannibal these days.

haha, I don't know if Antoni is creepy. Just a loving weirdo.