Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Lonely Island experience whipped so much rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Joooooooooossssssssssssssse.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
About to watch the Suspiria reimagining (Prime). But there will be no Goblin soundtrack! Malarkey.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I broke it up because I was feeling sleepy but it made for an interesting break point. I watched an hour-and-thirty last night, and the remaining hour today. That is right where the movie makes a marked tonal shift. The first 1:30 was very much its own thing, but using Argento’s established mythology and the already given assumption that it is witches, bro. The last hour leaned much heavier into giallo territory. (It’s cheesy af.). Although the camera work throughout was pure OG Suspiria influenced. Great use of sound. Well-acted. The music was alright. It needed something a little more powerful than what Thom Yorke was giving it.

I’m still digesting it and its message, but overall I liked it, especially the first portion.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He claimed he worked at Merrill Lynch in the WTC during 9/11 and narrowly escaped before the building collapsed and that’s why he moved to LA to pursue comedy. A few years later a reporter actually fact checked this and found Merrill Lynch had no record of him ever working for them, that Merrill Lynch’s didn’t have offices in the WTC at the time and that he never actually got any degree in finance.

Whom amongst us...

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m watching Justice League via HBO on Prime and holy poo poo, it’s bad.

There’s a fight scene between Aquaman and Steppenwolf that reminds me of The Scorpion King.

Also Ciaran Hinds merely voices a CGI monstrosity.

Why did I do this?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Incendies is far and away the superior film compared to The Place Beyond the Pines, which is several movies mashed into one blasé product

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Veronica Mars season 4. Other than the insane “let’s watch Harlots” Hulu product placement (which, I know, pays the bills... and Harlots is admittedly good) it was great. And holy poo poo, that ending.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously. An editor went out into a newsroom and said, "give me your hottest take" and some guy stood up and said that the show that's been off the air for a decade and a half is actually bad

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get it. I am a substitute teacher and work at a video store. Kids have Friends shirts galore. And people bought up all of our The Office seasons in fear of The Great Purge. That doesn't mean that that dumbass article wasn't meant to be anything other than spicy hot clickbait.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At the video store I work at World War Z is tied with The Dark Knight as the title most often attempted to be sold to us by customers as part of our used buy program. We take neither.

(The Dark Knight is good but everyone and their mother owns it. Have never seen WWZ; never will.)

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Please tell us video store stories.

There is nothing interesting to say. We are a video rental/sell-through store in a town with a high population of retired people and thus can (barely) maintain such a service.

A couple of things I thought were shocking initially but totally make sense:

Most people only have DVD players. As such our rental wall is 95% DVD. We’ve also eliminated 75% of our rental catalog in the last few years, from about 16,000 titles to the highest renting 4,000 or so. We are surviving off of sales. Blu-ray, DVD, AND VHS. Some person paid five goddamned dollars for a sealed copy of Old School on VHS. We have it on DVD for $3. Who the gently caress knows.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you need a TV and electricity to use purchases made at our store, I would think that many of our customers are homeless based on their dress, smell, and state of mind.

We sell through so much Argento, it’s nuts.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Talk about a twist ending.

And yeah, that's about what I'd expect I guess. Do y'all still do fun stuff like staff picks? No remaining film nerds still coming in?

Yeah, we have staff recs. My current ones are Incendies, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, A Scanner Darkly, and Babe: Pig in the City.

Hella film nerds come in, but mostly to purchase. We have a lot of film noir fans.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently watching What We Do in the Shadows the TV show on Hulu. I was worried that the three main cast members couldn't compare to the movie leads, but they're funny as gently caress.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My wife, Jodie Comer, just won an Emmy for Killing Eve, which if you have Hulu and aren’t watching, you’re loving dead to me! Who fuckin knows when season 2 is coming though.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I heard about this show on a recc from a Grey's Anatomy fan and honestly everything sucks about Killing Eve.

The assassin woman manages to have the least empathetic character of all crazy murderers.

I blame Joss Whedon

Wait, what? You’re not supposed to emphasize with the assassin.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched the movie Serenity (2019) and what the actual gently caress.

On Prime

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It boggles my mind that a bunch of people think it's hilarious that there is a movie called "The Ugly Dachshund" (or any other example from these Twitter posts) as if these movies haven't always existed for most of them. These people act like they discovered some amazing treasure trove of comedic or obscure titles but it's goddamned Disney.

It's like those Twitter threads where someone attempts to expose the seedy underside to some historical moment as if there aren't dissertations and books aplenty on the subject and they've only just found out about it and assume everyone else is equally ignorant.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 15, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

To be honest, you sound like you're angry that people have never heard of obscure cultural references from your childhood.

The fact is, most of these movies have been forgotten for a reason. Many of them aren't good, and haven't held up over time. They're not lost treasures, and just because there is some trove of awareness of these somewhere doesn't mean that the rest of society are morons for having never heard of them.

Nah, dawg, I was born in 87 and haven’t seen any of these movies, but I’ve heard of nearly all of them because they’re made by a major studio. And certainly I wouldn’t go onto the web and be like “Y’all ever heard of this? ‘The Apple Dumpling Gang?’ Pretty funny right.”

This is with regard to people would even purchase Disney+. They would probably be familiar with these garbage live-action movies, more so than anyone.

Edit: I guess I am mad because the jokes aren’t funny and they’re invading my personal space.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 16, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paul ReiserFS posted:

You’re being weird hth

Yeah.

I probably should've led with: I work in a video store and we have two or three used copies of that Kurt Russell/Disney 4-movie pack, which I took to mean that it was both ubiquitous and lovely.

wormil posted:

Just wait until everyone rediscovers That Darn Cat.

There was a remake with Christina Ricci!

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 16, 2019

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

yeah A24 stuff usually goes up on Prime 1-2 months after it hits rental. Sometimes it's almost right away though. Not sure what their deal is with Amazon but their movies always get put on prime sooner than later.

Speaking of A24, High Life went up on Prime and I was expecting to really love it but couldn't get into it. Actually didn't even finish it. I'll probably give it another shot eventually but it just wasn't doing it for me despite being my jam on paper.

How far did you get? Once the narrative shifts to when the whole crew is alive, it gets good (bleak as hell though).

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I think around half way? Definitely was well into when the crew was alive. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't grabbing me and I really didn't even know what to make of that crazy rear end masurbation scene. I'll probably restart it this weekend. Something just wasn't clicking maybe I was just too hungover for a movie like that.

If you ain’t feelin it, you ain’t feelin it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The second half is decent, the first half is trash.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched all of Poldark.

Then Downton Abbey owns. Signed George Warleggan

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
True Blood season one Lizzy Caplan tho

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Simone Magus posted:

I wasn't totally feeling the first 4 episodes of The Boys S2 but holy poo poo everything from episode 5 onwards is amaaaaaaazing

Thank God because I just finished four and the increasing body count by the antag is becoming farcical (among other things). This poo poo needs to right itself fast or I’m bouncing.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My 12 year old self recognized ‘99’s The Haunting as garbage

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She’s also Emma in Emma. (It’s on HBO)

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone watched the remake of Black Narcissus? Is it good?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But where does the money come from to begin with!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
JustWatch app

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

clean ayers act posted:

Its irrationally annoying that you cannot skip the intro to The New Pope on HBO Max.
Other than that, im enjoying it
Although i did not realize it was a sequel to the young pope.

Sorry you don’t like Jude Law’s wink 😉

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jesse Plemons typecast as a racist lol

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Still waiting to watch Avatar in 4K HDR. James Cameron please.

:negative:

I’ll get you that, True Lies on Blu, and good quality Blus of Terminator 1 & 2, I just need 300 years

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

Where is Murphy Brown streaming?

e ew, CBS All Access

drat didn’t know there’d be a Murphy Brown fan on the forums. Get out of here, boomer.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s a French person directing sci-fi

So it’s a lil out there

Quality ending

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

My parents old landlord(? I think) was the old guy at the end of River Runs Through It, he scared the poo poo out of me once when I was a little kid

That was your parents’ third.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOST never explained the outrigger scene and for that I am mad

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Rebrand Rotten Tomatoes as "Family Movie Night-O-Meter"

Seems clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is now on Hulu and it's an incredibly stupid fun enjoyable movie.

Barb and Star probably took the hardest, sharpest turn of any movie ever right at the beginning.