Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Patriot definitely took me an episode or two to realize the groove it was going for. I really hope there’s a season 3.

I kind of do and kind of don’t. John needs a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I don’t know if these entirely count as epic or lesser-known, but they are good films that I could see being overlooked for one reason or another:

- The Chronicles of Riddick
- Starship Troopers
- Dark City
- Moon

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

In what universe is Starship Troopers overlooked?

I mean it’s a biting and unapologetic satire of fascism and there’s a whole lot of that still around, so I would say ours, unfortunately.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I always felt eXistenZ was a thematic retread of Videodrome, and Videodrome was a lot better.

Still, it IS Cronenberg and worth watching for that reason. I love the restaurant scene.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Lycus posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember a scene where a loop started, and the two characters in it said what they would have the first time, like they were suddenly unaware.

This does happen, yeah. I think it’s because either people become slowly aware over time of their situation or they are locked inside of some actions no matter what.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah honestly even aside from the weird racial politics of the movie—which in itself is weird to say about a movie that mostly is about its weird racial politics—BlacKKKlansman just wasn’t entertaining or gripping as a story. I didn’t really care about anything that was happening and I’m kind of shocked it was hyped as a comedy.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The League was fun until Jason Mantzoukas left.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair there are people who still insist that racism is over. I admit that it is good that things are progressing

Is this a dig at Django Unchained?

There are plenty of digs at the KKK way outside of Tarantino. The Blues Brothers treated them like a joke and that was like around forty years ago.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

A new season of Great British Bake-off/Great British Baking Show is up on Netflix :neckbeard:

E: new episodes weekly?! Goddamn it.

Yeah this is some bullshit, gently caress everything

Protest y’all. REBEL.

I AM SERIOUS.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

ElMudo posted:

I like it, now I can't binge it in two days and be left wishing for more.

I am honestly in the same boat. The one a week thing is not what I want. The more outraged I wanted to sound the more sarcastic it sounded instead? Words hard idk

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Also WWZ had a straight up video game plot, including fetch quests at the end

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Mean Streets is very much Scorcese figuring out who and what he cares about
as a director.

I think of the part at the end, “NOW’s the time!” frequently. It’s such a weird delivery and moment.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

No matter your opinion on The Terror the show, stay away from The Terror the book. Goddamn what a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

withak posted:

Condolences on your awful taste in books.

No need to make it personal, friend.

It starts strong and has a few bright spots later on but it is nonetheless twice as long as it needs to be and has looooong sections where either a.) nothing happens or b.) the same thing happens that’s been happening for several scenes before it.

I don’t “dislike good stories.” Taking 800 pages to write a 400 page good story is not my kind of writing though, I will admit that. The show is much better about depicting the same basic story but with actually good pacing.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 15, 2019