Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

tweet my meat posted:

Snowpiercer was trash, Train to Busan was a far more realistic take on the train genre.

3 posts in and thread is already trash, gas + ban.

I'd also add TubiTV, which is free with ads and has an insane repertoire of horror movies, both good and garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
American Werewolf In London got added to TubiTV. It's an all time classic, go watch it for free.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I''ll also vouch for Cast a Deadly Spell. Film Noir but magic is real, go watch it already it's real fun.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are there ANY good nature documentaries on Prime? Documentaries are the one thing I actually miss from Netflix.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

twerking on the railroad posted:

Amazon prime has first reformed

it's so good

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I wish more people would pretend to do a quick cash in remake in order to get their arthouse horror funded.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is some REALLY bad poo poo on Tubi.TV and I'm kinda loving it.

I keep thinking of making a thread called "Let's watch the bottom of the barrel from TubiTV" where we pick the most obscure horror or whatever movie to watch and review. There might be some gems in there that nobody will ever see otherwise.
But of course, :effort:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah easily. Who'd have thought Paul Schrader still had a movie like that in him.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Terminal autist posted:

To Old to Die Young Nicholas Refns show came out on amazon prime yesterday. Its really self indulgent and if you've seen his other movies hes really just treading the same ground but man theres some impressive shots in there

I've seen two episodes and am about to call it quits unless I'm hearing extremely stellar praise for the rest. Refn is fine in movie length but I dont need 15 hours of him.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well poo poo now I regret only watching episodes 1,2 and Final. Back to 3 it is I guess.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Season 3 of Documental is out on Prime if you have a hankering for buff japanese men popping objects out of their foreskin.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
IMDb TV has a shockingly good selection of free streaming movies, but the amount of ads is very distracting.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well at least you won't be in for a disappointment when you hear about Craig Zahler...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
American Werewolf in London, obviously.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Enos Cabell posted:

I thought I was completely over the zombie genre, but One Cut of the Dead was hilarious and drat near perfect.

I mean, is it even a zombie movie?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
High Rise is on TubiTV. It's the movie that finally made me like Ben Wheatly after going through several of his movies and thinking I hate this but he could make a really good movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Visiting parents for Christmas, set up Amazon Prime for them, they have entriely different movie selection overseas. Hell yeah

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Plus their carbon footprint is smaller, and they will never put me in an old folks home.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Terminator: Annyhylation

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

socketwrencher posted:

Stumbled across Bong Joon Ho's segment in the 2008 anthology movie Tokyo! on Prime and thought it was fantastic.

Yeah the whole thing is neat but BJH knocks it out of the park.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A friend let me use her Netflix account and the horror selection there is dreadful. Any non-obvious picks that are worth watching?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's really only so much you can do with folk horror, and Midsommar is an admirable attempt. But unless you go the full musical route you will never unlock the genre's full potential again.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sarchasm posted:

Friendly reminder that the "gore cut" of Tammy and the T-Rex is now streaming on Shudder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_VTvQLAfaE
but with Tammy and the T-Rex

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Terry Kiser is the real star of Tammy and the T-Rex. He's amazing.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I wonder what it is with Netflix movies by good directors almost always being way worse than real studio releases. Is it that Netflix are less selective with which scripts to fund, so directors like Saulnier or Bong Jon Hoo get to direct their B-list projects that normally wouldn't see the light of the day? The only genuinely good Netflix movie that isn't way worse than the director's usual output (that I've seen) is Beasts of No Nation.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

I would really love for Netflix's wide open pursestrings to generate a miniature renaissance of well-funded and neato cult movies, but it doesn't seem to be happening, and I'm sorta sad about it.

Like it even seemed like Disney gambled on giving creative control to a relative unknown in one of the Star Wars movies, and the result was sort of a puddle of a movie instead of the imaginative greatness you'd hope would just pop out if you gave a "creative" a wad of cash.

OTOH, if I stick to my general policy of "mostly watch movies after at least 15 years have passed" there's still a lifetime of good things to choose and consume.

Maybe giving a good director full creative freedom generally does not end well, whereas a bad director with full creative freedom will at least produce something memorable?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My Name is Dolemite (Netflix) is super charming y'all, and retroactively makes the original movie (on Prime) even better.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Man I have no loving idea who Patrick Wilson is.

edit: Non rhetorical. I really have no memory of the man at all.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's a real good horror movie hidden in the premise of Bling Ring too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

I completely wrote off the Bling Ring because I hated the name, but have meaning to get around to watching it a while since everyone said it was good.

E: omfg that came out in 2013? So did Spring Breakers...Holy poo poo I feel old. I thought that was like 3 years ago. Christ

I mean it's Sofia Coppola so of course it's good, but there's also a certain cinematic something that's missing with a straight retelling of what's basically just the facts.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wickerman is good and wholesome, Midsommar is far too mean to compare.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That Works posted:

I think it might still just be paid rental but Ford vs Ferrari was a hell of a lot more fun / interesting to watch than I expected it to be.

Good race action scenes, good story etc. Nothing that will blow you away overall but it was entertaining and didn't feel long despite being a pretty long film.

How does it compare to Rush(2013)?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are there any good historical movies streaming right now? I'm not really feeling like seeing contemporary life from a week ago right now.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not exactly the most niche recommendation, but Kanopy has a lot of older historical movies set in Japan that absolutely kick rear end. Kurosawa movies of course if you haven't seen them are extremely good, they're gorgeous, funny and entertaining as hell. Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri is completely amazing start to finish, and the soundtrack slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2zIlGY3F3k

fenix down posted:

Looked up a few of my favorites on Justwatch:

Good stuff, thanks!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah I watched 2 and a half episodes of it before I had enough. It's absolutely nuts but I don't actually want to see that, plus who knows what the journalistic standards for a Netflix documentary are.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tainen posted:

Watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and I’m not sure if it is just because of being stuck at home away from everyone for the last few weeks but the move wrecked me. An absolutely beautiful film.

It’s on Hulu.

It's probably one of the best movies of all time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also how was Hold the Dark? I liked Blue Ruin and Green Room pretty much.

I liked it better than either of those two, but I am definitely in the minority with that opinion. It's more of a horror movie than Green Room.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah Christ, Ballad of Buster Scruggs sucked. You've done it again Netflix!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was good! At least admit you liked the Tom Waits part!

I refuse! Tom Waits one was okay, last story had a good premise and ended prematurely - rest felt like dollar store Coen imitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Field Mousepad posted:

Have you not seen a Coen brother's movie before?

That was actually the main problem.