Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

precision posted:

Also of note, Repo Men is not a sequel to Repo Man

However Cox's Repo Chick is almost a sequel to Repo Man but should not be watched under any circumstances. The entire film is actors delivering flat lines in front of a green screen. I'd like to say the whole thing is a critique of the Star Wars prequels but that might be giving the movie too much credit.

rich thick and creamy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

precision posted:

I recall for a very long time he insisted he was making a sequel. I guess that's what it ended up being?

It's one variation. He seems to toss out a pseudo-sequel every now and then. He wrote a comic book in '08 called Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday. Otto (who now calls himself Waldo) returns to Earth after 10 years on Mars. He discovers Los Angeles has been used as a prison by Martians. It's a limited run comic and my curiosity in reading it does not outweigh what I am sure is a ridiculous comic nerd's collector markup.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Looking through Prime and I think I'll make it a Ken Russell appreciation night. They got Lair of the White Worm and Salome's Last Dance! They also got Gothic yet I always saw that vhs on the shelf at the rental store back in the day but there was always something else I wanted to watch more so it stayed put. Honestly, I still can't muster the interest.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I see that Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires is up on Prime. PotV is one of two movies rumored to have been cribbed by Ridley Scott when he was coming up with Alien[1]. It's worth a watch if you are a fan of xenomorphs. You might see some familiar plot elements and maybe even a set piece or two.

[1] The other move being Queen of Blood.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Got hard Alien vibes when watching Them! the other day. That sequence in the tunnels with the eggs is so goddamn creepy.

"Now destroy everything in here. Burn it."
"What?"
"I said 'Burn it!" Burn EVERYTHING!"

Planet of the Vampires had Alien vibes in spades... seeing as it's about spaceships sent to investigate a strange transmission from a mysterious planet. When they get there they discover a busted alien spacecraft, the desiccated corpse of the pilot at the controls, suspect the pilot didn't die of natural causes, and due to a number of odd happenings discover it may be too late for themselves as well. You get the feeling you've seen this movie before!

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Is it some sort of meta-commentary that Ghost in the Shell SAC 2045 looks cheaper than a PS2 cutscene? I'm about 3 episodes in and it just feels really jarring that Major Kusanagi & Co are rendered like they are extras in Toy Story.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Just finished watching Fury of the Demon which is a fun little documentary about a supposedly cursed silent movie short "Rage of the Demon". The film has only been screened 3 times (the last time in 2012 according to the documentary) because each time the audience as flown into a sort of madness which caused them to start beating each other. You get to learn about George Melies and the overlap in early Parisian filmmaking and ghost mediums and seances. I got a bit of an F for Fake vibe off the documentary in that the subject is presented as a combination of fact, rumor, and even some fiction without really bothering to state where one ends and the others begin.

If you like old-timey movies, occultism, and mass hysteria this might be a great way to spend an hour.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

vivat virtute posted:

It’s 100% fiction, the short film doesn’t exist

a.) You mean a film that totally drives anyone who watches it insane isn't real!?!?!

b.) Do yourself a favor and watch F for Fake

c.) They worked really hard to keep their tongues firmly in their cheeks, the least you could do is not spoil it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched the Rick James documentary on Showtime today. It’s not bad but they included these really bad CGI re-enactments of some stories they told. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea.

Dave Chappelle wasn't available?