Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

That's funny as gently caress coming from HBO as they slowly swirl down the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I donít really see what is supposed to make HBO stand out anymore, yeah they have a few good shows every year, but so does Netflix and amazon and Hulu. I donít think the quality of content really exceeds any of the other services at this point, unless you count prestige stuff everyone has already watched. And the amount of content they offer is dwarfed by every other service. Yet they remain the most expensive one.

If nothing else HBO needs more competitive pricing but I guess they canít undercut a cable sub with their streaming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Netflix still makes a profit from their DVD service.

Their streaming service sometimes takes years to get movies once they're released on DVD, if they actually get it on their streaming service at all. Their DVD service gets them almost immediately. I still have a subscription to their DVD service because of this.

I'm honestly a little surprised that people still sub to their DVD service but I guess different people have different priorities. If I want to watch something really specific, which pans out to being once a month tops. In that case I'm happy to just pay $1-5 to rent it off amazon and I can watch it right away.

maybe I've just become accustomed to watching whatever is immediately available to me though. There's just too much poo poo to watch now. Something has to really pique my interest for me to go and seek it out on my own, which still happens, but not to the extent it used to. At any given time there's like 50 things I want to watch, half of them are included in some subscription I have, and I have time to watch 5 of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Assuming the accusations in Finding Neverland are true (I'm not gonna assume they are or aren't true though) , the parents in this might give the ones in Abducted in Plain Sight a run for their money.

Apparently it was a really easy to be a child molestor in the 80's. That's my takeaway from all this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

My issue is less that I don't believe them and more related to my general discomfort with the era of trial by public opinion we live in right now.

I'm honestly inclined to think everything in the doc is true. I don't see what either of them have to gain from it, and there is some really damning stuff in there. At the same time he was exonerated in court and he's dead and there is no real 100% way to know the truth.

I guess my opinion on MJ is totally unchanged from what it was before watching Leaving Neverland. He was a really weird guy with mental health problems, who had some pretty unnatural relationships with kids, and was most likely a child molestor, but no one will ever know for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Now that I'm finishing up part 2, I have to admit it's pretty hard to give MJ the benefit of the doubt in any way, shape or form. I feel like I want to keep a neutral stance considering a lot of factors, but deep down it's hard to believe any of this poo poo isn't true.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

precision posted:

Part of that is that so much of it is like, objectively true. He definitely traveled with preteen male "companions" in exactly the way one would travel with a lover. He definitely slept in the same bed with them. Etc. It just seems so unlikely that nothing inappropriate was going down.

True, but I think the question is really more about what his actions, motivations, and mental state were. There's no doubt that he had incredibly weird, suspect relationships with young boys and that has been out in the open for years. The things described in Leaving Neverland aren't really surprising in the least. I think it's good to go in with a neutral mindset because he was exonerated in court and other people have stated that their experiences weren't the same and the guy is dead.

In the end it's extremely damning though. I can't really come up with a single good reason to believe all of it isn't completely true.

Also loving Christ, Wade's mom is such an epically terrible human being.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I'd watch Solo or Rogue 1 over the new trilogy any day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Watching Triple Frontier, and how Charlie Hunnam has made it this far with his utterly terrible American accent is beyond me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Watched the Hulu original horror film Treehouse last night

It was loving terrible

It was so bad I almost wanted to make a rant post about it, but when I mentioned it seemed like no one else had even watched it. Just god awful on a level that you rarely see.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I thought triple frontier was solid. It definitely walks a line between condemning the characters actions and them being ďbadassĒ

It went in a general direction I wasnít really expecting. Iíd imagine anyone who likes action movies will enjoy it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Netflix

Glow
Black mirror
Russian Doll
Master of None
Love
Narcos

Netflix movies

Buster Scruggs
Roma
Wheelman
The ritual
Triple frontier
Velvet buzz saw

Obviously thereís way too much to name but thatís what immediately stands out to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

tweet my meat posted:

Triple Frontier was pretty good. I liked that movie didn't spend too long pretending that they were the good guys just because they were robbing a drug lord, I love a good heist movie with a bunch of scumbags. It didn't blow my mind, but I still really enjoyed it, which seems to be where a lot of the Netflix films fall.

Yeah. Totally agreed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

If you have a disdain for ridiculous social media culture, Ingrid goes west is both pretty good and kind of hard to watch lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Amy Schumer's new Netflix special is solid. I'm not normally a huge fan, especially of the one she did for HBO but I enjoyed this one and thought it was pretty consistently funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Hulu is actually a really good deal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Tainen posted:

I actually got a pop up in the Spotify app the other day saying I was getting Hulu with my subscription.

Really? Got any details on this?

been using google play because it comes with Youtube red but I'd much rather have free Hulu.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Whatís going on with the animation in the Witness episode of love death and robots? Is it just live actors that they stylized in post production?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Some of the shorts go into serious uncanny valley territory but I legit thought that one was real actors. Probably harder to spot because itís so stylized instead of going for photo realism like some of the others.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Hahaha I literally just finished that one and had the exact same thing happen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I liked Love Death and Robots a lot more than I was expecting to. Really I didn't think any of them were terrible. None of them really blew me away either but I thought the whole ordeal was a lot of fun to watch. Witness stuck with me the most just because the animation was so cool and it was so loving dirty.

Some of the photo realistic ones were weird. Like, why is this even animated? Just looks a like a regular movie except everyone has hosed up faces. It's crazy though it was actually loving with my brain how real some of them looked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

One thing I do want to say about love death and robots is that the title is terrible and I think i would have watched it sooner if it had a better name. Imo they should have just licensed the Heavy Metal name which would have been way cooler.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I hate reality TV so much, but there is something about Queer Eye that transforms me into a middle aged suburban woman and I can't get enough of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Eat The Rich posted:

Queer Eye is wonderful. Jonathon Van Ness is my spirit animal.

He annoyed me in season 1, but I like the cut of his jib now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Found some rare cut footage from The Dirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6uYfOBx4E

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

There's some Chinese movie on Prime called Pubescence 2. That's quite a name.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Ccs posted:

Apparently itís part of Chinaís first major ďAmerican PieĒ type movie series.

I hope they don't make a prequel then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

The dirt is so loving bad it almost circles all the way around.

I guess a Motley Crue biopic being both terrible and entertaining is pretty appropriate. Good god it is so bad though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Yeah it's really great. I can't get enough Lakeith Stanfield. make sure to check out Atlanta if you haven't watched it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

24 hours to live is loving terrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Iím just loving with you on Hulu is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Anyone else watch assassination nation on Hulu? Itís sure...something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Yeah itís fuckin crazy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Found footage horror is my biggest guilty pleasure so Iíll be checking that out ASAP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

bred posted:

I liked HBO's Generation Kill. I think it's on prime.

Seconded. Generation Kill is insanely good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

The Deuce is poo poo compared to his other shows but I still love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

True Detective (Seasons 2 and 3)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I was a little mixed on Savageland. It wasn't bad. I liked what they were going for but the execution felt a clumsy at times and it sort of dragged. Still worth watching though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

I really liked Boardwalk Empire but the last couple of seasons are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk Clunk!

Another Netflix price hike. Yeesh they are really pushing it.