Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Can anyone recommend any lesser known 'sci-fi epics' that are on streaming?

We watched John Carter the other day (honestly, I don't see why it had such bad press and was a huge flop. It was fine.); and we're looking for more space adventure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bash Brothers was amazing. I honestly had no idea that Mark McGuire was playing in the 80s. I only knew him from his roid fueled home run streak/feud with Sammy Sosa in the 90s.

Same here.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Old Man & The Gun is the movie of the week on HBOGo. It stars Robert Redford and Casey Affleck.

The cast is great (Tom Waits! Sissy Spacek! :swoon:) and its about Forrest Tucker and the Over-The-Hill-Gang, senior citizen bank robbers that committed a slew of heists in the late 70s.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Eat The Rich posted:

Blown Away is a glass-blowing competition show on Netflix. It's actually really cool and just about everything made is impressive. I recommend it if you want something on while you surf SA on your phone.

Don't watch too hard though or you'll be in a constant panic that someone will drop their piece.

I felt like, even though it was a glass blowing competition, they cut between so much stuff during those parts that you didn't get to see enough of the techniques and skills going into the pieces, but maybe that's just me. Not to mention by the time they got to the winner I just went 'Ugh. Really?!'

But it is a good little time waster.

Also agreed on people's comments about The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot and Point Blank on this page.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Enos Cabell posted:

Hyperdrive is basically Ninja Warrior with cars. If that sounds at all appealing you will enjoy the show.

I got tired of more than two episodes straight, I feel like it's best in small doses.

But that was mostly because I got a little bored of seeing the same challenges in most rounds, only increasingly difficult; like Walk on Water, then Walk on Water with less guide lights, then Walk on Water but you have to hit two targets.

Spreading it out though, it's fun. I absolutely loved every time they showed a reaction shot of that guy with the gigantic shades.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A new season of Great British Bake-off/Great British Baking Show is up on Netflix :neckbeard:

E: new episodes weekly?! Goddamn it.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 31, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC there was also something like Americans sailing to Cuba?

I think I remember that Cuba was like, the most stable democracy in the post-zombie world because of their system of letting refugees 'work their way up' or something.

To me the dumbest bit was the hikkikomori that found his neighbor's Hanzo steel as he escaped his apartment complex, and teamed up with a blind gardener zen-Master type.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mammal Sauce posted:

Probably an odd question, but does anyone know of any movies on Hulu, Prime, or Netflix with abrupt or strange tonal shifts? Even better if it veers into thriller or horror territory.

Something like if Us started without the backstory and instead with the drive to the cabin and the first 30 minutes was filled with fun family time at the beach, etc. and then the doppelgangers show up out of nowhere and went off the rails.

I think Cold in July may fit the bill.

"When a man kills a home invader in self-defense, the burglar's father continues the terror by threatening the victim's young son."

That Netflix description is like the first twenty five minutes of the movie, then the twist comes in.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

10 Beers posted:

For any of you nostalgic old folks like me, The Monster Squad is on Hulu!

Hell yeah! Watched that last night.

Also, repeating what others have said Dolemite Is My Name was really really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah Murphy and Snipes are fantastic in this. For those interested the original 1975 Dolemite film is on Prime.

On that note, anyone know if Disco Godfather is streaming anywhere?

It was on Netflix about five or six years back, but...