Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

beanieson posted:

So uh... I started watching Counterpart on starz over the weekend and it seems like a really cool slow burn spy triller with some sci-fi elements.

I’m 4 episodes in and it looks like starz has completely removed the series from their site. I knew it was cancelled, and the series is being shopped around, but didn’t expect it to just disappear 🙄
It's lame that it disappeared but I hope it means Netflix or Amazon already decided to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wtf there's a second season of The OA coming out on Friday? This time maybe they can piss off even the people who didn't hate the ending before.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't really understand why Idris Elba only gets weird dumb roles despite being popular.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

sometimes i'll just say "Sookie!" out loud in Bill's voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY2o_VAMfKI

This is pretty much all the True Blood anybody needs to see.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tainen posted:

Has anyone been brave enough to check out season 2 of The OA yet?
Seriously, I'm afraid to watch it but I want to know. Can someone take one for the team?

Edit: I watched the first episode but I don't know what to say. It seemed good for the first two thirds, but then it went in a direction that I'm not sure I like.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is it really a good idea to do this just as Disney+ is coming out at 7 a month?
Probably better to do it now than after Disney+ actually launches in 7 months.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

BBA and the gang end up doing the movements in the same spot where OA is in the other universe, and they all end up jumping to a new universe that we hadn't seen yet in the show.....the real world where they're all now inhabiting the bodies of their actor counterparts.
Are you sure about this? I initially thought this was what they were going for, but IIRC the OA is filmed in the US and from the ambulance and stuff at the end they seemed to be in England, which I interpreted to mean that the tv show the set of which they were on was not actually supposed to be that of The OA at least in our universe.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, Valerian was bad but more like "missed opportunity" bad rather than "I want my time back" bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zero One posted:

Interesting article from Bloomberg about the long term deals Netflix has.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-30/when-will-shows-disappear-from-netflix-it-s-complicated

Most interesting is that even though Disney is moving everything to Disney+ this year they will be obligated to move a bunch of movies back to Netflix in 2026 AND pull it off their own service.
It's just movies released in 2016-2018, though. In 2026 is anyone really going to care?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The MSJ posted:

People now still care about movies from 2008.
Would you unsubscribe from one service and subscribe to another one now because some movies from 2008 disappear from the former and appear on the latter for a period?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The ship has sailed at this point but the series would've been better off with the Eleven/Upside Down story being completed with Season 1, and have the gang encounter some new Strange Thing each season. Same popular characters interacting, but with the freedom to explore other genres/subgenres without being tied to this ongoing Upside Down story that kinda ran it's course already.
Yeah, it's actually kind of bizarre that they didn't go with this approach.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Motherfucker. Prime just took all their HBO shows off and put them behind an HBO Prime channel
Their deal with HBO ended so they lost the shows. The channel is equivalent to subscribing to HBO Now, so it has all the HBO content. It's not like Amazon randomly decided to charge extra for the HBO shows just for fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Prime is still showing all HBO seasons older than 5 years as included for me?
Huh. There were a bunch of articles before saying that HBO was planning on pulling all its shows so I thought that had finally happened but I guess not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am a substitute teacher and work at a video store.
Are you sure Friends isn't still airing in your universe?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carnival Row is really bad. It would have been okay if it didn't take itself so seriously, but it's taking a script that makes The Magicians look like Shakespeare and trying to turn it into a serious, gritty fantasy show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

just to save you guys the trouble this is NOT a show about Sacha Baron Cohen actually going to Syria and pretending to be a Mossad agent
Lol. That would probably be a very short show.

I didn't realize he acted in normal tv shows, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 8, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

There may not be any "untouchable" if people who have been content to stay on Netflix start hopping between services each month.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Mandalorian feels like it's what the new star wars movies should have been. I hope it can keep it up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

The Mandalorian is amazing but not as good as The Last Jedi.

But that’s okay. I crave more.
I'll give you this one because I can't be bothered to make it through all of the Last Jedi to know whether this is accurate or not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

How many episodes is The Mandalorian? I was expecting maybe 8 or 10 which would air over the course of a few months and then I'd just cancel.
In that case you might as well just subscribe for one month when it finishes?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Presumably the standard for what content gets the "outdated cultural depictions" message is more like "Does this movie contain racist caricatures?" and less like "Is this movie an inherently problematic depiction of colonialism?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clearly the original theatrical release of Star Wars, which wasn't titled "Episode IV" yet, is part of the non-trilogy trilogy with Rogue One and Han Solo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why not consider the original 1977 Star Wars in its original form a separate stand alone movie different from Star Wars Episode IV -- A New Hope which includes all the edits and added and restored stuff? They'd be able to sell the same product twice and have it fit into two different groups of movies.
For some reason, George Lucas was really obsessed with pretending he had everything planned out from the beginning even though they were just making it all up as they went along. This seemed to include really dumb stuff like wanting people to think that the original movie had always been titled "Episode IV," so there's no way he would have ever have been willing to rerelease copies of the original prints.

To be fair, Star Wars fans seem to eat this poo poo up so maybe Lucas was on to something.

Now that Disney owns the rights there's presumably no reason they couldn't rerelase it, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 17, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

The MSJ posted:

To be fair, the basic elements of the Prequels was first published in background info document for the first movie in like 1976 or something.
According to the book The Secret History of Star Wars which goes way more into this stuff than I care about :

quote:

After story conferences ended on December 2nd, 1977, Lucas finished his Empire Strikes Back treatment and then Leigh Brackett began writing the first draft screenplay. Finally, on February 23rd, 1978, Brackett finished her first draft of the script, which is essentially identical to the treatment with a few notable elaborations. Tragically, she died from cancer on March 18th.
The first item of note at this point is that Star Wars was not the fourth entry but the first, as discussed earlier, with Empire Strikes Back following as the second chapter. During story meetings between Brackett and Lucas, the film was identified as “Chapter II, The Empire Strikes Back,” (393) and by the time the second draft was finished, the familiar episode listing was in place. (394) However, it was not Episode V, as we now know the film to be—the opening crawl read “Episode II The Empire Strikes Back.” (395)
However, after the second draft, the film would be known as Episode V
. So, what was it that happened? What occurred that suddenly made Lucas take a major step and add another three episodes to the Star Wars story? Obi Wan Kenobi’s tales were already in place, but they were not to be a “prequel” trilogy—they would either continue in the episode listing, which was not necessarily progressing in chronological sequence at the time of the first draft as Gary Kurtz explained, (396) or they would simply be a spin-off. From what Lucas says of it, “One of the sequels,” it appears to be a single, standalone movie, tangential to the main Rebel versus Empire plot. The actual prequel story—the prequel trilogy—would not take shape until after the second draft of Empire Strikes Back.
But I haven't verified any of this so maybe you're right?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 17, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

New season of Jack Ryan was so loving stupid. A daylight helicopter assault on the presidential palace of a sovereign nation? Jack Ryan beating a head of state? The grand conspiracy was Venezuela mining its own natural resources? The too obvious last minute reveal that the senator was in on it the whole time. .

I think I'll pass on Season 3. Such lazy writing.
It was amazingly dumb but I have to admit that I'll probably still watch Season 3.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

They never will. Better off just finding Harmy's Despecialized versions.
Maybe when George Lucas dies unless he made them specifically agree never to release them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s really the only part of the series I’ve disliked so far. The Mandalorian friends felt video game goofy.
Yeah I agree with this. I liked everything else, but that part was pretty dumb.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He has a manly hairdo, or "mando" for short.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Honestly it might be good, Netflix-wise, that Disney has their own thing. Disney, marvel and star wars being off the table probably frees up a hilarious amount of money for content acquisition, and other things have continued to exist this whole time
All the content is getting more expensive, though, and that's what pushed Netflix to invest so much in original shows in the first place. This works if they can continue to get subscribers, but that may be affected by the entry of more competitors to the market.

I think there are three possibilities, really: 1) everyone subscribes to multiple services because they're willing to pay more if they can get more new content that they like, 2) people start hopping between services every month, 3) one service wins and the rest die.

The biggest problem is that if 2 happens, Netflix might have no choice but to cut back on how much they can spend on original content.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Season 3 will be "The Netflix Originals That Made Us."

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's interesting to compare 6 Underground with season two of Jack Ryan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bort posted:

Yes, deliberate animal cruelty is a sign of pretty serious mental illness. But kittens are put to death every day in shelters, but in what we deem a humane way.
"Animals die every day, therefore torturing animals to death is okay." Does this logic also apply to humans?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tainen posted:

Season 4 is great because you get a lot of Drummer and Ashford and they are the best.
The whole thing with the planet was extremely tedious, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The different star trek shows are totally inconsistent. Trying to argue what the world is like in the star trek universe as if it's a single coherent thing is stupid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Is Star Trek's Economic System streaming for free anywhere in the US? Really thinking I should check it out since it's generating so much discussion.
Star Trek: Free Enterprise

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yall Kingdom Season 2 dropped.

Why are we not talking hats and zombies?
Can we get a spinoff show about coronavirus containment in the Joseon empire instead?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Season 1 of Westworld was decent but it still felt like there was too much stuff in it that was just to create twists for the sake of having twists and was probably actually detrimental to the story.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Locke and Key isn't exactly my thing, but it's miles better than The Magicians.

If The Magicians is Chronicles Narnia crossed with Harry Potter, Locke and Key is Narnia crossed with...The People Under the Stairs?

e Narnia crossed with Jumper with Hellraiser

Also the villain just opened a portal to a random subway and threw a kid in front of a train, this might be a better show than I thought
I think people who read the comic book or whatever it was didn't like it, but not being familiar with that I thought it was decent. It does have some major pacing issues like a lot of Netflix shows, though. It's a little bit unfortunate in that it seems like it could have gotten a lot more attention if they just put a little bit more work into the writing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

That definitely used to work but I believe it no longer does because of the switch to HD
I think even after the switch to HD they were required to broadcast basic channels unencrypted for a while (although this might not have necessarily guaranteed that you'd be able to receive them with only an internet subscription) but the FCC stopped requiring that years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can someone explain the HBOs to me at this point? I have HBO through Hulu but now there's Max, which isn't out yet but costs the same as NOW and gives you access to NOW before it launches. Is it the same price? If so, what's the point of NOW if Max exists? Should I drop the Hulu add and just get Max directly since it'll give me NOW anyway? Still not sure what GO is about.
I think they're just in the process of replacing the other apps (Go/Now) with Max.

IIRC Go was for cable subscribers and Now was for people subscribing directly but Max will combine these and add other content.