Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My guesses: Bran and Sam (and his wife and kid) are 100% going to die, because if there is one constant to the arc of the GoT universe, it's putting Jon Snow in incredibly lovely situations. They both have their arcs complete, and also are the only people who can prove Jon is a Targaryen heir. 50/50 on Dany leaving Jon to die during the battle or putting a knife in his back directly, but he'll survive because the universe isn't done really loving his life up yet and fracturing their coalition makes sense. Brienne or Pod, Missandei or Greyworm, flip a coin for each. Jamie will live, because he still has a reckoning with Cersei to attend to. Tormund has been skating for too long, probably going to bite it unsuccessfully trying to save Brienne. Theon and everyone in the crypt are going to die. Don't know about Ser Davos. Hope Clegane lives.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What role does he have left to play in moving the plot forward? He's already divulged his big revelations and made his peace with Jamie. Plus, "What makes you think there's an 'after'?"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sarah posted:

I don’t think she’ll kill Jon. I’ve been doing a total rewatch and she just said in an episode I watched that was in Qarth that she isn’t going to have human children. Her dragons will be her only children.

Yeah, but I don't think she gives a poo poo about her genetic legacy: her entire motivation from Day 1 has been reclaiming the Iron Throne, and she's shown she's willing to be utterly ruthless to get it. She's not going to let another man snatch away her prize at the last minute. As long as Jon lives, he's a threat to her.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya same I thought the battle of winterfell and subsequent deaths would be the last episode
I mean, the idea that we are our own worst enemies has been a pretty consistent theme.

My bet for the final scene: After a huge battle, Ciersi and Jamie are the only two left alive. He kills her and his unborn child to stop whatever madness she has planned, and collapses on to the Iron Throne, totally broken and alone, as snow begins to fall through the wrecked roof of the Great Hall.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Been a weird week, where more Avengers perma-died than main characters on Game of Thrones.

LMAO about Jon Snow having built a series spanning arc around fighting the encroaching threat of the Night King, sending Sam to learn whatever he could about them, killing a White Walker in combat, building a coalition at great personal cost, giving up his crown to secure an alliance with Dany, fighting at Hardhome and north of the wall, and then having his little sister gank his kill at the final second.

I also liked the Night King just straight no-selling dragon fire.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Hopefully the next few episodes will find some fuckin way to explain Raven Brains' screensaver mode
Warged into a person catching the midnight premier of Endgame.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 1, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, it's clear that Jon doesn't want any of this or to be in charge of anything, and that with each passing hour he regrets not staying north of the wall, building a small hut, and banging Ygritte until he died of preventable disease or White Walker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Popehat/status/1122731651069403136

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 1, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jon regrets all of the many, many people he's slain in battle, executed, or sent to their deaths in pursuit of various causes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
After thinking on it, I'm really disappointed by the producers' post show bit where they say that they thought they had to give Lyanna Mormont a worthwhile, deserving death. The thing that I really liked about the early seasons of the show, what made it good and suspenseful, was that who lived or died, and how they died, wasn't tied to audience expectations, or fan favoritism, or whether they deserved it. You can write a great show about the wicked being unpunished, I submit Breaking Bad as an example.

Should have had her get swept aside by the giant, then come back briefly as a wight.

The Rat posted:

IT'S ARYA, COMING IN THE RING

WITH A VALYRIAN STEEL CHAIR
lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

having watched the long night again, the night king got suckered into that same trap as every other supervillain ever: monologuing.

sure, he didn't speak, but he was taking his time, savouring his victory, knowing that no bastard could touch him, until welp
TBF, he's been doing the Michael Meyers/Jason Voorhees slow, inexorable, menacing walk forward for the entire series.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I meant more that the Night King hasn't been in a hurry to anything the entire series, so IDK why someone would think he'd be quick about killing Bran.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They can't kill everyone, but who among Yara, Varys, Davos, Brienne, Pod, Sam, Gilly, Tormund, Missandei and Greyworm has an unresolved plot arc that would prevent them from bringing the show to a satisfactory conclusion if they had died unceremoniously? And those are just the people who don't have to make it to the final two episodes. Hell, thinning down their ranks would have made for less ground to cover in the rest of the season. All of the above the line characters are on the table for the finale and show prior, and they only have like 3 episodes left.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 4, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yup. 8 seasons of buildup, building up the threat, revealing little by little, and the biggest threat to the entire world is ganked by Deus Ex Arya. In one episode. "The Long Night." Such bullshit.
TBF, Arya's journey to become the stabbiest mofo in Westeros has been almost as equally long and built up.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't know, I think Bored As gently caress makes some very good points.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Arya, putting aside the bag of faces, I see your list now has 'All Who Walk The Realms of Men' below 'Gregor Clegane.' Are you sure it's supposed to be there?"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyway i haven't watched this and don't plan to. Did Arya and the hound reunite is all I want to know
Yes, but neither of them is acting especially happy about it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Flikken posted:

Reconnaissance seems to be big blind spot for Danerys army
I was coming into the thread to make this post. Seriously, does she just not do scouts or spies? Also, they gave Euron Greyjoy a dragon kill? Who is he going to go down to, is Jamie gonna go Super Sayan when he finds out Ciersi is saying the kid isn't his?

Flikken posted:

Edit: The fireball trebuchets would be good for counter battery fire. I'll bet they don't bring them to Kings Landing.
Of course not, why would they do something that makes that much sense when they could battle it out on the open ground in front of the city for no reason.

What exactly did Qyburn say that wasn't true? I don't want to restart medieval tactics chat, but equal numbers doesn't seem that great when one side has a position they've clearly been fortifying for a while, giant ballistae, fresh troops, and control of the sea.

I thought for sure that Ciersi was going to turn Tyrion into a pincushion, and I'm still not sure why she didn't. I guess he still has to kill Varys, who makes some good points.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I would seriously watch a spin off where it just follows him and the free folk.
"Did you know they have giant women south of the wall? Big, beautiful women!"
"We know, Tormund."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The only people who are going to get a happy ending are Tormund, who hosed off after holding up his end of the bargain rather than try to grab more, and Podrick, who is content to live out the rest of his natural years cutting a swath through the ladies of the north.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Too bad no one they know can warg into birds that are common across the entire continent.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

My friend was rewatching and just snapped me - if you look at the scene when Tormund is cheering jon and trying to get him to drink, there’s a paper starbucks looking coffee cup sitting on the table in front of Dany.

https://twitter.com/WilliamPieper/status/1125474374121938944

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've really been digging the trailers for that. Think I'll watch it once GoT is over.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, first shot hit from a ballistic weapon against a fleeting, crossing target at higher altitude is pretty loving impressive bad writing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well that’s good to know at least. Trust me I’m happy for a big production on it all but cannot help but think it pushes the layman back on being pro-nuclear a bit
Any media about a nuclear disaster is going to have that effect, but it's not really any more anti-nuclear than Titanic was anti-cruise liner.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

It feels like I'm watching video game cutscenes at this point. But not good cutscenes. Like, Mass Effect 3 cutscenes.
Mass Effect 3 at least made a token attempt to cash in the emotional bonds between characters and tie off various plot lines in a satisfactory manner.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ceiling fan posted:

But hey, maybe someone will thank them for their service.
"I heard the White Walkers were a made up threat by Danerys and Jon to justify the invasion. Has anyone seen a picture of one? Crisis actors."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

It's gonna end like The Sopranos (which turns 20 this year :corsair: ).

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope it ends the same way The Sopranos does:

Jon, Dany, Bronn and Tyrion are sitting around the corner table of Hot Pie's inn. Jon walks over and has an inaudible conversation with the minstrels. It's the same ones from the Red Wedding, and they start to play an anachronistic, instrumental Journey cover. Jon rejoins the others. A man walks in. Is it Jaqen H'ghar? We can't tell. The camera frames Jon's face. Slam cut to black and silence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It sounds like it was from something better so let me know what it was

Chow Yun Fat does it in The Replacement Killers.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What the gently caress is this show I'm watching?

This episode wasn't 100% terrible, but it would have been amazing as the first episode of the season, instead of the second to last.

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you crushed by rubble."

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hound’s last scene with Arya probably put her on course to reconsider Gendry’s marriage proposal.
S6E10: Arya slits Walder Frey's throat after serving him his sons in a cannibal pie.
S7E01: While wearing Walder Frey's face like Hannibal Lecter, Arya poisons Walder Frey's entire household.
S8E05: Arya realizes revenge is bloody business and maybe she's not cut out for it.
:shrug:

WTF Arya, you're way too late to get cold feet.
WTF Jamie, why did you bother with that redemption arc?

bengy81 posted:

the Varys thing bugged me because why the gently caress would he have been so sloppy at this point
Varys going from most competent and feared spymaster in Westeros to failing to clean up a witness (Tyrion) to his regicide conspiracy is par for the course this season.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lol @ Rhaegal getting ganked in a minute by 10 scorpions, and Drogon not getting hit a single time by about 200 ships or 100 scorpions on the walls. Very convenient.
S8E04: Scorpions are loving awesome and neutralize the dragon threat.
S8E05: Scorpions suck and can't do anything.

Also, called it:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Bolow posted:

-The Hound is going to win the Clegane bowl by overcoming his fear of fire
I think it's going to much shittier, like tackling his unstoppable, undead brother into a pit of fire where they are both immolated.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 14, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That's just a royalty (or aspiring royalty) thing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jon Snow could have been totally in the clear. All he had to say was, "I dunno, she started ranting about the wheel and kings and thrones, then she jumped on Drogon, melted the throne, and flew off. Yeah, just like Mireen."

What is the lesson supposed to be here? None of the noble houses have been broken up, most of the same power structures from before the war remain in place, but it's OK because they put a computer in charge?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You watch the realm, you watch the skies, and I'll hold the door

Nice.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crakkerjakk posted:

Also I find it hilarious that moving to an elective monarchy is presented like it's gonna fix much.

Maybe this group of lords and ladies, survivors of the bloodiest war in a generation, can live peaceably, but their sons and daughters won't remember.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Tyrells may have been wiped out, but Bronn is clearly planning to run the show the same way and establish a dynasty to rule over Highgarden.

Anyway:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

While being more competent than anyone else, and less aggressively malicious than most.

He may be an immortal parasite from outside time, but OTOH, he hasn't blown up any major buildings of King's Landing, or set an army loose to rape & pillage in the streets.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The awesome shot of Drogon screaming and melting the throne after Jon kills Dany.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

beanieson posted:

Wish the hound could have survived to see Popeyes
They stopped serving Mardi Gras Mustard, and it just isn't the same anymore.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Are we going to do a Chernobyl thread?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Might as well just use this one

Petition rename to "Akimov snapped his fingers"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EBB posted:

there, now you have an omnibus thread

John Wick's dire wolf dies of radiation poisoning, so he goes on a killing spree of indifferent bureaucrats, before personally firing 5,000 tons of lead/boron bullets into the heart of the reactor.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The soil, however, is still heavily contaminated, however wildlife seems to be doing well.
Deer, wolves, and squirrels are far more blasé than humans about massive increases in spontaneous abortions, or dying a decade early due to cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
John Wick 3:
-This concept is going to run out of steam eventually, but not this time. It isn't as fresh as the first one was. However, the filmmakers' commitment to staging the craziest, most ridiculous, most brutal fight scenes they can and embracing the absurdity of the world they created carries it. Hallway of throwing knives.
-Laurence Fishburn chews every bit of scenery in sight and I love it.
-Ser Bronn is now master of coin in two realms.
-Keanu Reeves' scenes with Halle Berry and Lance Reddick show just how much more work he put in training for this role than anyone else. His movements are visibly smoother and more confident.
-I normally don't like winking references to other movies, but I smiled at the nods to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" and "Game of Death".

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 29, 2019