Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2015, refer to archives]

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel

Current:

V. by Thomas Pynchon

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CRQ2V2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the book:

quote:

V. is the debut novel of Thomas Pynchon, published in 1963. It describes the exploits of a discharged U.S. Navy sailor named Benny Profane, his reconnection in New York with a group of pseudo-bohemian artists and hangers-on known as the Whole Sick Crew, and the quest of an aging traveler named Herbert Stencil to identify and locate the mysterious entity he knows only as "V." It was nominated for a National Book Award.

quote:

In 2012 it emerged that there were multiple versions of V. in circulation. This was due to the fact that Pynchon's final modifications were made after the first edition was printed and thus were only implemented in the British, or Jonathan Cape, edition and the Bantam paperback. The fact was forgotten soon after in the U.S., so most US editions, including the newly released eBook, follow the first printing and are therefore unauthorized versions of the text, while the British editions, which follow the first edition printed by Jonathan Cape, contain Pynchon's final revisions.

About the Author(s)

quote:

Thomas Ruggles Pynchon Jr. (/ˈpɪntʃɒn/,[1] commonly /-tʃən/;[2] born May 8, 1937) is an American novelist. A MacArthur Fellow, he is noted for his dense and complex novels. His fiction and non-fiction writings encompass a vast array of subject matter, genres and themes, including history, music, science, and mathematics. For Gravity's Rainbow, Pynchon won the 1973 U.S. National Book Award for Fiction.[3]

Hailing from Long Island, Pynchon served two years in the United States Navy and earned an English degree from Cornell University. After publishing several short stories in the late 1950s and early 1960s, he began composing the novels for which he is best known: V. (1963), The Crying of Lot 49 (1966), and Gravity's Rainbow (1973). Pynchon is notoriously reclusive; few photographs of him have been published, and rumors about his location and identity have circulated since the 1960s.

quote:

In an interview conducted after Pynchon’s first novel was published, Nabokov stated that Pynchon left no particular impression on him, and that he hardly even remembers him attending one of his courses. However, Nabokov’s wife Vera, who sometimes graded her husband’s class papers, said that Pynchon’s papers were memorable because of his unique style of handwriting. She stated that he used a weird mixture of printed and cursive letters; half printing, half script.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/02/03/influential-writer-thomas-pynchon-was-a-student-of-vladimir-nabokov-at-the-university-of-cornell/

Themes

quote:

But to read “V.” today is to experience Pynchon anew. Blast through the multilayered densities of “Gravity’s Rainbow,” “Mason & Dixon,” and “Against the Day,” and you have a young Cornell graduate, an engineer from Long Island, writing with an earnestness you might not have expected, about a world he could never recover. And though we think of Pynchon as the progenitor of postmodern irony, the novel’s central theme, as uttered by the jazz saxophonist McClintic Sphere, is one of sly but unmistakable sincerity: “Keep cool but care.”

I should confess that I have no idea what “V.” is about—and I have read it twice. It may be about Benny Profane, a hopeless schlemiel who, having been discharged from the Navy, bounces around New York City with a comically harmless gang called the Whole Sick Crew, spending a good amount of time in the aforementioned crocodilian pursuit. Or the novel could be about Herbert Stencil, the son of a prominent British consular official, Sidney Stencil, who had “died under unknown circumstances in 1919 while investigating the June Disturbances in Malta.” Stencil’s entire existence is focused on the hunt for V., a classic novelistic quest-without-resolution (in fact, V. might be fiction’s greatest example of a MacGuffin). V. may be a person, or may be a place, though it could also be neither: Pynchon calls it, at one point, “a remarkably scattered concept” and, at another, “the ultimate Plot Which Has No Name.”

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/v-at-l-pynchons-first-novel-turns-fifty

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

Page by page annotations for V., from the Pynchon Wiki (of course there's a wiki):

https://v.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=V._Page_by_Page_Annotation

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nearly 100 pages in and have switched from the Profane to Stencil plot in Egypt, which I am enjoying immensely. I hope to figure out the code of the last names by the end.

He was 26 when he wrote this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Nearly 100 pages in and have switched from the Profane to Stencil plot in Egypt, which I am enjoying immensely. I hope to figure out the code of the last names by the end.

He was 26 when he wrote this.

There is no code, but the names are not accidental, either.

Here is an old monograph that delves into some of them, and also pulls in similar examples from GR.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mdemone posted:

There is no code, but the names are not accidental, either.

Here is an old monograph that delves into some of them, and also pulls in similar examples from GR.

I'm going to try to avoid reading ancillary material until done, but thanks! But there has to be a code :thunk:

Just read about the priest to the rats LMFAO

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Beloved croc found dead, believed shot

:thunk:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've read V. 3 times, I think it's his best work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
drat, I was hoping there'd be a free version, I can't justify the purchase atm.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Discendo Vox posted:

drat, I was hoping there'd be a free version, I can't justify the purchase atm.
You don't have a library where you live?

also you can totally find a pdf for free if you really want to but you didn't hear that from me

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I am really enjoying the reread, it feels like meeting an old friend. I am stoked for the Namibia chapter. That and the chapter in which the dude in Egypt goes bonkers. Those are my favorite parts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are we not mentioning the structure for new readers?

V. is many things, but it is, funny enough, the actual structure of the episodes. One arm is the Benny Profane and the Whole Sick Crew adventures, the other arm are the episodes with Stencil or from his father’s notes. The two converge at the end of the novel, and the period is the Finale in Malta.

Inherent Vice is my favorite Pynchon, because it’s everything I like in a novel, but V. is the one I think about all the time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I am really enjoying it so far, and the structure seems pretty clear so far, at least to me. Its a much more accessible book than Gravity's Rainbow, being much less fantastic and prone to wandering diversions, and the language, while still vibrant, doesn't yet have that majesty of the later book, IMO of course. Its clearly by an extraordinarily talented writer first stretching his wings.

The stories themselves are very entertaining to downright funny. I think the Stencil portion in particular is great because of this sort of communal willingness to go with his obsession.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good book.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just grabbed the book myself and I'm excited to dive in. I've only ever read Crying of Lot 49 and just re-read that earlier this year, so I'm excited to tackle another Pynchon.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think I like V. best because it's clearly the work of a young writer, but it's also his first real work. The stories in Slow Learner, that he wrote before V. and which V. is kind of a compilation of, absolutely don't work on their own and really feel like a college kid wrote them. V. is when something somehow had just changed in him and he became good. It's a bit less polished and elaborate than GR or Against the Day but I just like it more because it has a bit more of a wide eyed mood and more enjoyable characters.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to do some digging, but I did a lot of write-ups about how V. is Thomas Pynchon's playful exploration of fiction and how we interact with fiction vs. history vs. present reality, and also how it's the perfect Post Modern novel, because it plays with the changes between Modern fiction and Post Modern.

It was all in various threads, but I'll copy and paste them so everyone can see how silly I am.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

real good book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
e: nevermind

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 16, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This may be a dumb question, but I don't really know anything about postmodernism, is there anything particularly important to know about it before diving into a postmodern novel? I'm always inclined to just Read The Book but I'm kind of an unschooled rube when it comes to literary movements and etc.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MockingQuantum posted:

This may be a dumb question, but I don't really know anything about postmodernism, is there anything particularly important to know about it before diving into a postmodern novel? I'm always inclined to just Read The Book but I'm kind of an unschooled rube when it comes to literary movements and etc.
Broadly, it's the idea that people don't really know or understand truth. They can try, but they'll never have anything more than a vague sketch drawn by limited perceptions, uncomprehended psychology, and groundless webs of signs and signifiers.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 12, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Postmodern literature also may make use of the form and structure of the text/literature itself to demonstrate the role of text in shaping subjective meaning-making and a lack of a single truth. iirc V doesn't do this as dramatically or bluntly as some other texts; Franchescanado's spoiler post above provides an example of this. In the hands of good authors these methods tie into and complement the text's content while providing a parallel; in the hands of bad authors they're a blunt hack move. The distinction is subjective, of course; House of Leaves is considered a masterclass in these techniques or the world's most pretentious garbage abuse of pomo methods depending on who you ask.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I read this a month ago, and I still can't get it out of my head, particularly the scene of Ben Profane and the robot. gently caress, I can't wait to read more of Pynchon's stuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Deep into the Siege Party now and :yikes:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The chapter about the siege of Malta/Paola's dad's letter was beautiful. Would love to dig deeper into the imagery of this section once folks finish--apparently Heironymus has a reference that can be consulted

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Bilirubin posted:

Deep into the Siege Party now and :yikes:

i had an easier time with the siege party here than the anubis party in gr tbh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

i had an easier time with the siege party here than the anubis party in gr tbh

oh god yes. Especially the ending

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Paris ballet chapter.

Holy poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

-apparently Heironymus has a reference that can be consulted

Yeah, unfortunately I'm behind this month (caught up in some IRL things). I did post a link to a wiki in the OP which should be helpful.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

The Paris ballet chapter.

Holy poo poo.

Yeah, I remember that being such a visceral moment.

Which chapter has the erotic rhinoplasty? That was also incredibly rough to read. Arguably worse than the castration in Gravity's Rainbow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Which chapter has the erotic rhinoplasty? That was also incredibly rough to read. Arguably worse than the castration in Gravity's Rainbow.

Guessing 3 or 5?

I don't even remember the castration in GR

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I'm behind this month (caught up in some IRL things). I did post a link to a wiki in the OP which should be helpful.

No worries, makes most sense to wait until folks finish before digging into analysis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

No worries, makes most sense to wait until folks finish before digging into analysis

Yup. Next month's book is going to be something "light" so that the discussion on this one can carry over for a while.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I'd definitely appreciate it if we kept this thread open after the month is over, I'm skeptical I'll finish the book until right near the end of the month, if that

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Franchescanado posted:

that's earlyish, chapter 4, and agreed. it's definitely worse for me to get through than the gr castration or the gr poo poo-eating

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I'm continuously struck by how much is being introduced in V. that is continued or readdressed in Gravity's Rainbow. It's quite a lot, almost makes this read like a trial run for the latter, longer, work.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The paris ballet thing i always thought of as a display of pleasure-pain/jouissance that pynchon seems to associate with the proximity of war

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Bilirubin posted:

I'm continuously struck by how much is being introduced in V. that is continued or readdressed in Gravity's Rainbow. It's quite a lot, almost makes this read like a trial run for the latter, longer, work.

i was initially keeping track of all the specific links (mondaugen, bodine, etc) and general repetitions (protagonist as schlemiel who becomes embedded with the nebulous and perhaps imaginary tendrils of the security state, the herero genocide, etc etc) but then i decided that probably somebody with a better and more relevant set of mental illnesses had already done that for me

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

4, "In which Esther gets a nose job"

suspendedreason
Dec 5, 2018
Man, I wish I had the time this month to participate. I loved Lot 49, liked IV, liked bits of GR I'd read around, but have always picked different authors when I have time for a doorstop. Trying to get my hands on a Pynchon companion; this might be my cue. Slightly off-topic, but have people seen Impolex, the Alex Ross Perry film based on GR?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

suspendedreason posted:

Man, I wish I had the time this month to participate. I loved Lot 49, liked IV, liked bits of GR I'd read around, but have always picked different authors when I have time for a doorstop. Trying to get my hands on a Pynchon companion; this might be my cue.

Get the Weisenburger companion to GR and read it in tandem with each chapter of the text.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pynchon as a woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So I looked up images of Pynchon because I didn't really believe that that was actually him in the Imgur link and then stumbled onto this article. It goes in a lot about his life, but this bit stood out to me because of the rhinoplasty thing:

Vulture posted:

After graduating near the top of his class, Pynchon declined a teaching fellowship but immediately applied for a Ford Foundation grant to write opera librettos. Perhaps it’s the sheer hubris of the application, which didn’t even propose a specific project, that led him, decades later, to suppress it—or the fact that it was part of a dream life that didn’t pan out. The 22-year-old’s competition included Robert Lowell and Richard Wilbur. While admitting he’d published only two stories (though boasting he had sold a third and been very well reviewed in the campus paper), Pynchon described his literary development with astonishing self-confidence: “a Tom Wolfe period, a Scott Fitzgerald period, a Byron period … a Henry James period, a Nelson Algren period, a Faulkner period,” and so on. He suggested he could make a libretto out of science-fiction stories, maybe Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicles. (Pynchon grew up on the genre.) He had doubts about his lyrical talents, though “I have this guitar on which I occasionally kill time making up rock ‘n’ roll lyrics.” As for where he’d like to work, “Chicago is where my girl goes to school.”

That girl and that fellowship may have presented, for Pynchon, an opportunity for a middle-class life—steady income, a wife, a starter home. Toward the end of school, he’d gotten into a serious relationship with Lilian Laufgraben. They might have married, but her parents disapproved of her dating anyone who wasn’t Jewish. Jules Siegel, in a 1977 Playboy exposé on his ex-friend Tom, got her name wrong (possibly on purpose) as “Ellen Landgraben,” and until now only close friends knew her real name. In 1962, Laufgraben married a psychiatrist. (Today they live not far from Pynchon, but refuse to discuss the connection.) Pynchon gave the breakup as a reason to skip Kirk Sale’s New York wedding to a mutual friend, Faith, who edited early drafts of V. Lilian, he wrote, was getting married to “a nice safe Reformed-temple medical student from her hometown, and this is enough to blight the entire area for me.” A mutual friend, C. Michael Curtis, believes that the nose-job interlude in V., in which Jewish princess Esther is graphically carved up, was Pynchon’s “way of exorcising his angry feeling about losing her.”

If true, Pynchon definitely did not handle that well. And it makes sense now -- that scene was so loving jarring that I legit thought I was hallucinating or something.