Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah I found this out in Bloodborne, along with “hypogaean” being a word that exists and is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

feedmegin posted:

How's life back in 1905?

'Jail' is way more common here these days.

I saw some video where Stephen Merchant talked about how americans gently caress up the proper spelling for words like colour and gaol. I guess he has been living in the US for decades now so maybe he's holding onto an idea of jolly olde england.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm waiting for the royal maol to deliver a package.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I first saw it in a Sherlock Holmes story and eventually got so annoyed by its unpronounceability I looked it up in the dictionary

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Labes for days posted:

Yeah I found this out in Bloodborne, along with “hypogaean” being a word that exists and is rad.

Ahh kosm....

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The first time I saw it was in the girl w the dragon tattoo so I always thought it was Swedish

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ronaldo passes it to ronaldinho! he brings it up - fires - GAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I hit my tyre on the kerb

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Fanny is pretty funny no matter who says it. Good stuff that fanny!

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i scored an oewn gaol whilst plying fotbaol

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
To be honest the British are, by and large, a disappointment.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Grown, burly men call soccer "footie". Ignore the great soccer, football, handegg debate for now because the word footie is ridiculous. Americans don't watch golfy or wrestly, or basey or racetracky or any other cutesy name for their sports.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wheely bins

And they expect to be treated like adults

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Local Weather posted:

To be honest the British are, by and large, a disappointment.

And deep down, we know it :sigh:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Grown, burly men call soccer "footie". Ignore the great soccer, football, handegg debate for now because the word footie is ridiculous. Americans don't watch golfy or wrestly, or basey or racetracky or any other cutesy name for their sports.

The Brits take baby-talk word shortenings and slang to new lows.

Crimbo pressies.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

The first time I saw it was in the girl w the dragon tattoo so I always thought it was Swedish

Same here. I had to actually look it up because it appeared several times and the word was so foreign that even the context clues didn't help. Given that the English translation was done in British English, I guess it makes sense, but yeah, that spelling is goddamn asinine.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Same here. I had to actually look it up because it appeared several times and the word was so foreign that even the context clues didn't help. Given that the English translation was done in British English, I guess it makes sense, but yeah, that spelling is goddamn asinine.

If you’re the kind of person who pronounces GIF with a soft “g” then you probably think it’s a great way to spell it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

oh dope posted:

Yeah they're pretty loving terrible at everything

They also say poo poo like "Shedudyuuule" instead of schedule

and they try to use a french accent when they say croissant, but because they have bad teeth, they say Kwasaaaann

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's pronounced "coe-burn"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Local Weather posted:

If you’re the kind of person who pronounces GIF with a soft “g” then you probably think it’s a great way to spell it.

The Brits pronounce it "piccy-wiccy wot moves"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
They do that thing where they randomly add "f" sounds to things, like a bunch of c-spam mods

"Oy Fink vat ish about time fo ush to eat shum o that mushy pees and wot not"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

thinking that adding "-ie" to the ends of words necessarily makes them "cutesy" is basically an American-exclusive thing.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
love a bit o'crumpet wiv me bangers, innit guvner

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gabbagaol!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
British people are basically the moles from redwall

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Hammerite posted:

thinking that adding "-ie" to the ends of words necessarily makes them "cutesy" is basically an American-exclusive thing.

Take it easy Hammy.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Go to gaol.

Go directly to gaol

Do not pass Jo

Do not collect $200.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Take it easy Hammy.

:duckie:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Brits pronounce it "piccy-wiccy wot moves"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Legit confronted a brit about their use of the "r" sound between voiced words and he wouldn't admit to it.

"You wot now? We was watching the CoparAmericaron the telly, me mates and my ol´pal Gavin gives us a call, said Graham, Gary, Neil, Nigel, Geoff and Stephen were 'aving a go at Mary and those birds frum the pub the other nite you know...."

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

KillerJunglist posted:

Do not pass Jo

I never do. :grin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KillerJunglist posted:

Go to gaol.

Go directly to gaol

Do not pass Jo

Do not collect £140.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

Legit confronted a brit about their use of the "r" sound between voiced words and he wouldn't admit to it.

"You wot now? We was watching the CoparAmericaron the telly, me mates and my ol´pal Gavin gives us a call, said Graham, Gary, Neil, Nigel, Geoff and Stephen were 'aving a go at Mary and those birds frum the pub the other nite you know...."

They can't hear themselves, just like a fat man can't smell his own ghastly odor

Oh, sorry odoure for the brits, gotta add extra useless letters to poo poo(e)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The piccy wiccy wot moofs m8

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The British gave us Doctor Who, and yet we continue to let them exist

Why?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

It looks like I should read it as gowel.

This is how I always read it until a few weeks ago when I learned it was just the old way to spell 'jail'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I still read it as gowel bc gently caress that lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fish and chips and dip posted:

I've been to the UK several times, I have many UK friends, and I watch a lot of UK TV. This is literary the first time I see the word "Gaol".

I've only ever seen it in the Game of Thrones books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I wonder what sort of man it took to get in a boat and travel for 9 months to an uncertain future in an untamed land and shoot the fuckers who already live there