Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

1. AbBaBb
2. AC
3. CD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Vote check!

PMush Perfect posted:

1] What's your plan now? (Kumiko)
A) 2
B) 2

C) 0
D) 2
E) 1

2] What's your plan now? (Eiji)
A) 2
B) 1
C) 2
D) 2

E) 1

3] What's your plan now? (Ratatoskr)
A) 0
B) 1
C) 3+
D) 2
E) 1

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

BAD CAB BAD

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I freely admit to being one of the ones who spaces out a bit at combat options. They're basically all voting 'fight the demon'.

I'll vote 3D because more strategies is always good.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

B

B

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elfface posted:

I freely admit to being one of the ones who spaces out a bit at combat options. They're basically all voting 'fight the demon'.

I'll vote 3D because more strategies is always good.
Is the new, simpler list easier to deal with? I'm also planning removing the party member options in general, especially once there's a full party, and they'll act according to their personalities and the situation, for the most part. Maybe one discussion at the start of each fight or even just once in general. This is the first boss fight, so I wanted to give more granularity, but I definitely overdid it a bit at first.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vote set!

PMush Perfect posted:

1] What's your plan now? (Kumiko)
A) 2
B) 3
C) 0

D) 3.5
E) 1

2] What's your plan now? (Eiji)
A) 3
B) 3.5
C) 3
D) 2
E) 1

3] What's your plan now? (Ratatoskr)
A) 1
B) 3
C) 3

D) 4
E) 1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sorry about delays, I've decided to rework basically all of the mechanics of the boss fights, and combat in general. I underestimated how much work it'd take.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm going to be turning this into a proper hiatus while I rework some things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright. Well, almost a month later, I'm staring the truth in the face. I'm in a situation where I need to dramatically rework both the story and the mechanics, while also keeping current continuity intact. This isn't an impossible task, by any means, and I could do it, if properly motivated. Here's the thing, though. With that much work, I could also just start something new, something without the perceived barrier to entry that a fan-CYOA has.

So, over the next few days, I'll be talking about what plans and ideas I did have that still survived, as well as some trivia about the design process, things that've happened so far, and so on. I appreciate your loyalty through this, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but being realistic, I think the best thing to do here is give this CYOA an honorable death, and answer some of the questions I raised, rather than just letting it decay again.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'll come clean and say that I helped here and there with some minor feedback, and PM confided some 'spoilers' in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

First thing I'll go over was the set up of potential upcoming characters and Personas. Ultimate Personas all would've come from either maxing out their S-Link, or possibly from a Plume of Dusk out, if need be.

Kumiko Matsunaga (Fool/Fire)
Main Persona: Sigrun
Ultimate Persona: Kara

Kumiko's S-Link with the Fool wasn't going to be a fixed-rate one like normal, but directly of her personal relationship with Sigrun. Maxing that out would've deepened their bond enough that Sigrun would have upgraded her opinion of Kumiko from "wants to fight fate" to "will break Fate," and she would've found her own resolve to do the same. If you read Kill Six Billion Demons, Sigrun's ultimate goal was to make Kumiko become more Royal.

Eiji Suzuki (Magician/Bless)
Main Persona: Freyr
Ultimate Persona: Odr

'Living for other people' is a surface-level view of Eiji's problems. Digging in deeper, the core of it was an unfailing sense of ennui, and a lack of purpose. People expected Great Things from him, but there was no guidance, internal or external, about what that actually meant. He had Gifted Kid Syndrome. Maxing his Link would have been about helping him find a purpose outside of the team, or else just come to terms with not needing a PurposeTM for his actions to matter.

If we'd needed a Plume of Dusk used in this fight, she would've shown up early, otherwise she'd have come in some time next month:

Nozomi Suzuki (Lovers/Wind)
Main Persona: Idunn
Ultimate Persona: Freyja

Having spent most of her life with a very vague wish to make the world a better place, but no idea of how to actually do so, she would've jumped into the opportunity to do something concrete with both feet. Maxing her Link would be about helping her realize that she doesn't need to Change The World, just to do good and be good to the people around her.

At some point, Ratty was going to become fed up with just being a guide/supporting role with no say in what actually happens, and...

Ratatoskr (Star/Curse)
Main Persona: Nidhoggr
Ultimate Persona: Either Sleipnir or Fenrir (neither of which I'd yet to find art for that I would be content with.)

Which ultimate he got would've depended on whether we encouraged him in a more "doing this for me" direction, or a more "gently caress the Asgardians" one. I'll go over this more when I cover the potential plot points.

The rest of the party members were prospective, characters I hoped to bring in, but whom I was prepared to replace with someone else fitting, if it came to that.

Kaori Hata (Strength/Ice)
Main Persona: Skadi
Ultimate Persona: Ran

Kaori would also be primarily motivated by anger at a lack of respect of her efforts and accomplishments. (She was going to be a STEM major, an incredibly male-dominated field) To max her Link, Kumiko would have brought her around to the idea that her focus shouldn't be on impressing the people around her, but on being the best possible version of herself and then, from that place of power, she'd have much better footing with which to break the glass ceiling in half over her knee.

Isamu Saito (Justice/Electric)
Main Persona: Vali
Ultimate Persona: Tyr

Yes, that's the clinic guy. He was the eldest son of a large family, pushed by his parents and the people around him to be the ultimate role model. He was becoming a doctor because it was what his father wanted, but he'd internalized it as his own desire. To max his link, he'd either need to find his own reasons for becoming a doctor, or find something else that he could move towards that would satisfy him more without betraying his desire to be a role model for his siblings.

I also had very loose plans for either Zankiro Himawara (a chuunibyou who'd grown up and learned to stop being so embarrassing about it without actually addressing any of the internal reasons for his behavior) or Reo Kamitora (an ultimately timid man who lived vicariously through reading fiction) to become the new Navigator after Ratty became a full party member. Wasn't 100% clear on their motivations, ultimate, or Arcana, but their initial Persona would've been Forsadi.

Next time I'll go over some of the planned non-party Social Links.

Edit: Kumiko's yet-unknown fourth Persona was a Cu Sith.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 29, 2019