Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Marvel Films are an internationally distributed statement of intent by a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate not sworn to any single national loyalty, it is naive to think the film speaks only to America.

Then why the gently caress isn't Captain Britain in the MCU yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So is the contention that a movie that heavily features refugees can’t be read as a narrative about refugees? Is MCU fandom that strong?

I saw it and yeah it uh, sure was a movie I paid to see

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

So is the contention that a movie about refugees can’t be read as a narrative about refugees? Is MCU fandom that strong?

I saw it and yeah it uh, sure was a movie I paid to see

The movie is indeed about refugees but reading into the ending as "refugees should go somewhere the gently caress else" and not "refugees are cool and good and helping them is a heroic cause" is being willfully obtuse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Then why the gently caress isn't Captain Britain in the MCU yet?

because superheroes are an american phenomenon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The movie is indeed about refugees but reading into the ending as "refugees should go somewhere the gently caress else" and not "refugees are cool and good and helping them is a heroic cause" is being willfully obtuse.

which is why we help them and dont kick them out in the end right?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

which is why we help them and dont kick them out in the end right?

As I said, willfully obtuse.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In the movie I saw we kicked them out though?

“Let’s help them but they have to leave eventually!” is some gross centrism of the worst kind

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

“Let’s help them but they have to leave eventually!” is some gross centrism of the worst kind

Again, Earth is literally called "a shithole" in the film, and the writers knew exactly what they were doing by using that word of all words.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Again, Earth is literally called "a shithole" in the film, and the writers knew exactly what they were doing by using that word of all words.

Being accurate? :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Waffles Inc. posted:

even worse, we put them back on the intergalatic version of a dinghy when we do it

we literally send them back on the boat they came in on

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Being accurate? :shrug:

Trump decries immigrants from 'shithole countries' coming to US

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In your reading Earth is described with a Trump quotation used to describe countries that real life refugees are coming from which implies that in your read the Skrulls are from the “non-shitholes”? So that makes it OK to kick them out?

Furthermore if your extra-narrative read is pulling in the Trump quote (which is obviously wrong) than that would mean that Earth actually is fine?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

earth is a "shithole", so its better for them to be stuck on a small ship adrift in space :jerkbag:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The only Skrull that even wants to stay on Earth is the kid and that's because they made a nice friend. The adults know what's up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's stopping the Skrulls from cohabiting with the people of Earth to forge a new path of existence for both species? More so with Carol heralding such a cause as the, allegedly, most powerful being in the universe?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

teagone posted:

What's stopping the Skrulls from co-habiting with the people of Earth to forge a new path of existence for both species? More so with Carol heralding such a cause?

The fact that the people of Earth can't even cohabitate with each other

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe I forgot but didn’t Fury have a line about people aren’t ready for aliens yet?

(Even though they took them pretty well!)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just remembered at the end of the last Thor the refugee Asgardians decide to go live on earth and everyone seems cool with it

weird that its ok when its a race of blonde haired blue eyed white europeans and not shifty "colored" ones

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

The fact that the people of Earth can't even cohabitate with each other

I'm saying why couldn't the introduction of Skrulls usher in a new era in human history?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

“Gee everyone I dunno I think it’s best for you to float in space because we can’t even get along here!” is one substitution of “boat” for “spaceship” away from being an actual IRL anti-immigrant talking point

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just remembered at the end of the last Thor the refugee Asgardians decide to go live on earth and everyone seems cool with it

weird that its ok when its a race of blonde haired blue eyed white europeans and not shifty "colored" ones

Wow I wonder what could have changed between the events of Captain Marvel and Thor Ragnarok to prepare Earth for aliens?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well, earth had no say in it. Thor decided they should go.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I feel like the combination of Carol being the "one-woman security force" as Fury described, along with Skrulls being Earth's moment of First Contact would change the course of Earth's history and status in the MCU cosmos, but the film actively decides against that potential because Carol has to disappear for 20 years before Endgame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

“Gee everyone I dunno I think it’s best for you to float in space because we can’t even get along here!” is one substitution of “boat” for “spaceship” away from being an actual IRL anti-immigrant talking point

this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wow I wonder what could have changed between the events of Captain Marvel and Thor Ragnarok to prepare Earth for aliens?

they were white?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They weren’t all white

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

“We’re not ready for that yet!” said in reality about:

POC president
Woman president
Gay marriage
Trans rights
Immigrants
Refugees

(It’s a bullshit reason)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

They weren’t all white

Shhhh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

“We’re not ready for that yet!” said in reality about :

POC president
Woman president
Gay marriage
Trans rights
Immigrants
Refugees

(It’s a bullshit reason)

What about extraterrestrials

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:911:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They weren’t all white

Hmmm, yes the "multicultural" society in which the two most prominent people of color were a soldier and a doorman

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Well extraterrestrials aren’t real

Is your read of the film that it’s a narrative about how Earth would handle a first contact situation? If so, that’s...fine, but how does that rebut or comment on a read where the narrative is one about refugees?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Asgard, the civilization in which the highest honor a black person can obtain is to sit around and open the door for rich white people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And an alien made of rocks

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CelticPredator posted:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So was Carol supposed to just leave the Skrulls on Earth and then seek out Skrull enclaves throughout the galaxy and bring them all back to Earth, rather than go out searching for those enclaves with the Skrulls that she had befriended?
Because if so, there are hundreds of better planets, technologically, culturally, and in terms of location relative to galactic civilization, to act as such a home. The same is not true of first-world countries that reject immigrants, and you loving know it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
what if the skrull's just made themselves look white, because skin colour is the only thing that matters in the entire universe?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Because if so, there are hundreds of better planets, technologically, culturally, and in terms of location relative to galactic civilization, to act as such a home. The same is not true of first-world countries that reject immigrants, and you loving know it.

So you are saying Greece and Turkey are morally just in throwing out refugees because they should just go to Germany or the US? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So was Carol supposed to just leave the Skrulls on Earth and then seek out Skrull enclaves throughout the galaxy and bring them all back to Earth, rather than go out searching for those enclaves with the Skrulls that she had befriended?

Your read is that’s Danvers is some sort of intergalactic Paul Cuffee?

Given the ideology surrounding the founding of Liberia from American whites that is...something