Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

“Look, Earth just isn’t for you! Haha we’re such a shithole! Haha you wouldn’t even like it here”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Waffles Inc. posted:

“Look, Earth just isn’t for you! Haha we’re such a shithole! Haha you wouldn’t even like it here”

Why should we be taking in all these aliens when we have our own problems to deal with

loving Skrulls taking our jobs

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why should we be taking in all these aliens when we have our own problems to deal with

loving Skrulls taking our jobs

It’s not that we don’t like them—we’re not racist!—it’s just that well, gee, wouldn’t they be happier with their own kind?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Earth at the end of the movie literally goes "no thank you, we don't want a paradigm shift in technology and culture that would push our civilization ahead hundreds of years because earth is for earthlings now get on this ricketty decades old space raft and get the gently caress out"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s not that we don’t like them—we’re not racist!—it’s just that well, gee, wouldn’t they be happier with their own kind?

look, its not that we don't want skrulls, but how can we separate the good ones from the bad ones? There needs to be some heavy vetting, and we should just not let any of them on earth until we know whats going on

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BotL

Care to discuss the implications of a film about refugees ending with the heroes deciding refugees would be better off not staying on someone else's planet but finding a new home to go by themselves instead

It sure improves Valerian in retrospect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This all just feels like guilt tripping people from liking a movie. Cool if that’s your take but it doesn’t have to be anyone else’s.

(I thought the movie was okay, I just think this argument, like so many CineD arguments, sucks poo poo)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

This all just feels like guilt tripping people from liking a movie. Cool if that’s your take but it doesn’t have to be anyone else’s.

(I thought the movie was okay, I just think this argument, like so many CineD arguments, sucks poo poo)

Be critical of the things you love, for that is where you are most likely to be given propaganda

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is why this FTL technology isn't shared with the oppressed people of Earth so that they can immigrate to better planets.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Thus begins the usual whining about enjoyment not being respected.

If someone can ruin your joy over a movie, then your joy is weak.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Typically I don't pay attention to audience reviews, but the Last Jedi was a 91% of movie critics enjoyed the film while audience was around 30% when the movie came out and the audience score ended up being far more accurate by a huge margin. I'm still seeing Captain Marvel this weekend and will just decide for myself.

That’s not true. Last Jedi was bombed Russian bots. I’m not making this up, read a crazy article about it last week on twitter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People keep saying that, but it never comes across as love when people do it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionArcher posted:

That’s not true. Last Jedi was bombed Russian bots. I’m not making this up, read a crazy article about it last week on twitter.

It was but it was also bombed by chuds and people who hate the film. I think Wheat Loaf is wrong, but the people who hate it are very very loud and very online.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It’s ok to like problematic stuff—our culture is so hosed that almost nothing is untainted

It’s one thing to lowkey take the L and be like “yeah the politics are sketchy but...” and quite another to act like a child and pretend those problematic elements aren’t there at all

Also calling the discussion of the politics of a film “guilt tripping” is some hilariously meek poo poo. Like what you like, just don’t put your fingers in your ears

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If someone can ruin your joy over a movie, then your joy is weak.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CelticPredator posted:

I'll make is very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. it's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. it's just a fun action movie that intro..
More

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t even think the reading is invalid. I’m just finding this argument a little frustrating to read in how it’s going about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'll make is very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. it's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. it's just a fun action movie that intro..
More

This will never not be funny to me. Especially copying the "more" — loving hilarious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t even think the reading is invalid. I’m just finding this argument a little frustrating to read in how it’s going about.

Nobody cares about how you feel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Waffles Inc. posted:

in australia, our government printed pamphlets and distributed them to asylum seekers with the argument that they shouldn't settle in australia. one of the arguments made specifically was 'we're not that good a country, really. your kids will hate it and then they'll hate you and break your family apart'

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

This fainting couch stuff is exhausting

Would you prefer people to couch their language with more decorum or something? Do you want every post to coddle people who don’t want movies to be political?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

in australia, our government printed pamphlets and distributed them to asylum seekers with the argument that they shouldn't settle in australia. one of the arguments made specifically was 'we're not that good a country, really. your kids will hate it and then they'll hate you and break your family apart'

I cant help but notice spiderhyphenman skidaddled pretty quick when I asked if it was moral for non 1st world countries to throw out refugees

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

This fainting couch stuff is exhausting

Would you prefer people to couch their language with more decorum or something? Do you want every post to coddle people who don’t want movies to be political?

I like how comparing the movie to ready player one a dozen times because "it has references" is legitimate and well-intentioned criticism but discussing the eerie real world implications of a multi-million dollar film is being too unfair.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s ok to like problematic stuff—our culture is so hosed that almost nothing is untainted

It’s one thing to lowkey take the L and be like “yeah the politics are sketchy but...” and quite another to act like a child and pretend those problematic elements aren’t there at all

Also calling the discussion of the politics of a film “guilt tripping” is some hilariously meek poo poo. Like what you like, just don’t put your fingers in your ears

There's a difference between discussing the Unfortunate Implications of a movie that uses any sort of Sci-Fi/Fantasy allegory, and willfully interpreting those implications as the intent of that allegory. Captain Marvel is pretty clearly a film about "GIRL POWER!" "it's good to help refugees" and "sometimes it turns out that you're on the wrong side." To say that the film is intentionally sending a message of "COUNTRY'S FULL, FUCKERS!" as propaganda is anywhere from disingenuous to lovely, considering how toxic the discourse surrounding this film is already.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"it's good to help refugees"

so why don't they?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

To be fair, i'd be loving mad if my folks moved me to australia

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's a difference between discussing the Unfortunate Implications of a movie that uses any sort of Sci-Fi/Fantasy allegory, and willfully interpreting those implications as the intent of that allegory. Captain Marvel is pretty clearly a film about "GIRL POWER!" "it's good to help refugees" and "sometimes it turns out that you're on the wrong side." To say that the film is intentionally sending a message of "COUNTRY'S FULL, FUCKERS!" as propaganda is anywhere from disingenuous to lovely, considering how toxic the discourse surrounding this film is already.

Who said anything about intentions? Reads are supported by the text

Supporting a read that film has awful refugee politics is trivially easy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so why don't they?

They do.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They may not have meant to say "COUNTRY'S FULL, FUCKERS!", but the film can be read in that way. Unintentional statements are still statements.

And I'm still wondering why the new light-speed engine thing being built was such a big deal when everybody except us earthlings can already travel FTL.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its not even earth's boat they send them out on. They already had that boat.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Who said anything about intentions? Reads are supported by the text

Supporting a read that film has awful refugee politics is trivially easy

I am a bit offended by his idea that we should not be critical of the film because bad actors in the political sphere are already critical of it. As if criticism and art is a binary of "good movie" and "bad movie" armies of which one must swear allegiance

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

And I'm still wondering why the new light-speed engine thing being built was such a big deal when everybody except us earthlings can already travel FTL.

Well, they mention needing a jump gate otherwise, so I assume the new innovation was not needing a gate to jump to light speed

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cant help but notice spiderhyphenman skidaddled pretty quick when I asked if it was moral for non 1st world countries to throw out refugees

I didn't acknowledge this idiotic point because the refugees in Captain Marvel have FTL travel. Being a refugee trying to get into Greece or Turkey is a horrible, desperate situation where your option is "the country right next to yours" or "you loving die."
Again, the only Skrull that actually asks if they can stay on Earth is the kid, and that's because they made a friend. The adults are all looking to go somewhere else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its not even earth's boat they send them out on. They already had that boat.

Earth has no boats. And the Skrulls (save one child) never ask to stay.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Earth has no boats.

Yes but they have a planet, which negates needing the boat

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well, they mention needing a jump gate otherwise, so I assume the new innovation was not needing a gate to jump to light speed

Yeah, but there have been other MCU films with FTL and they never mentioned jump gates. I guess everybody figured it out since 1995 and it turned out to be not such a big deal

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, but there have been other MCU films with FTL and they never mentioned jump gates. I guess everybody figured it out since 1995 and it turned out to be not such a big deal

Do they? Like, if they had FTL travel there would be no reason to use a portal in Avengers 1

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes but they have a planet, which negates needing the boat

Again, the Skrulls show no interest in staying.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Saw the movie. From film twitters reactions, I thought I would like it, but not love it. Boy was I wrong. It was freaking great. The little girl with her sister and mom sitting near me (she was wearing dinosaur slippers and hoodie,) loved it too. So did all the little boys behind me. This movie was for THEM. As for the friendship stuff, I read it as a close friendship, but I could see it going either way. The song at the end was a little too on the nose, so I’ll deduct half a point. (Somebody up thread mentioned fire starter, and now I want that scene with that song instead) The debate me thing at the end was 1000% a line written by the female writers about all internet men ever, and dudes in real life, and it was great.

As for comparing it to Wonder Woman and Fury Road and terminator 2... you’re missing the point. They are all strong movies for different reasons. We need more choice, not less. It’s also a sexist argument really because it’s a double standard. You don’t see people seeing civil war and then saying “the dark knight was better, and X-men 2 was better so yeahhhh...” its more garbage male gatekeeping, disguised as being open minded.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

But the refugees want to leave!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wouldn't the responsible thing to have done is take the Skrulls in anyways? Even if Earth is a shithole, having a shithole home is better than not having a home.