Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I legit had to ask another thread because I didn't know either

Whats the frog thing about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do not question the avatar gods, for they are capricious as they are generous, what they may giveth, they can also taketh.

My take on the refugee metaphor is I think of it as being more of an allusion; it references the issues and I think it is ultimately critical of the way societies have reacted with varying degrees of violence, from suspicion of the "infiltrators" to actively and proactively pursuing the diaspora. I sense a IDF-HAMAS allusion as well, with the Kree/IDF hunting down the Skrulls/Hamas going into neutral countries (Lebanon) to finish the job because of an all consuming paranoia that unless they are stamped out, the whole structure is at risk.

At the same time the film isn't saying that Earth is necessarily wrong for reacting as they did; it can be a message about the ways propaganda by bad faith agenda driven actors can sway uninformed well meaning people into carrying out an evil agenda. SHIELD *is* infiltrated, because even if their goal was righteous they still were using "ends justify the means" thinking and tactics especially in the face of a determined pursuer; but they (SHIELD) acted the way they did primarily because of what Captain Marvel told them, which the Skrull's firing on them confirmed that bias. There's misunderstandings afoot due to mistakes and misinformation, shots fired into the fog of war might find their way to allies and friends despite your best intentions.

Kree propaganda played a central part in the message of the film, and "deprogramming" Captain Marvel and SHIELD took effort. It's like the alt right or Russian troll farms spreading misinformation about immigrants to gin up violence.

Their goal isn't to resettle in America, skrulls are all over the place, and suffered ethnic cleansing and like jewish people want a homeland where they can all belong. In this case their homeworld has been bombed to oblivion and in too much danger, so move they must (this might have unfortunate implications regarding Palestinians if I carry the allusion to its logical conclusion but I don't think allusions are supposed to be stretched so far) go elsewhere, America/Earth as others have said, is just a stepping stone; and useful as a mediator and a temporary protector since the Kree were all too willing to violate Earth's sovereignty with acts of war (South Africa?).

The Skrulls don't want to settle on Earth, and it would be dangerous for them to do so as the Kree would return in force and Captain America is just one person; and plus there are several other groups of Skrulls throughout the galaxy, it's pretty obviously that while there are allusions, they aren't all neat and tidy and meant to paint a picture of Earth/America refusing refugees and asylum seekers in totality; but that it's a complicated multifaceted problem and the film I think is more interested in quickly exploring different parts of that problem then to flesh out any one particular aspect of the metaphor. Earth is both portrayed as many things, some of them contradictory; but in the end the take away is probably not that Earth should have accepted the Skrulls, or at least not yet. As they need to gather together and figure out their next move and Earth is presumably too close to the Kree to be safe; after all they mentioned going to a whole other galaxy before.

I think coherently the point is more, "there's a lot of poo poo refugees have to deal with when fleeing a warzone and a lot of baggage due to the nature of war and left over militia's being labeled as terrorists and a lot of problems being stateless" then a binary "Earth is good/bad".

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alright, who got mad enough they opened their wallet lol

Welcome to the red title club brother. :cheers:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rep those colours

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I suspect someone who agrees with me bought it to make the other side look bad because drat this is a hilarious win for me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alright, who got mad enough they opened their wallet lol

lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You can be my wingman anytime.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If someone pisses you off so much you'll waste :10bux: over a passive aggressive dig at them then yeah, that's a hilarious self own

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

McCloud posted:

If someone pisses you off so much you'll waste :10bux: over a passive aggressive dig at them then yeah, that's a hilarious self own

Add to that the dig apparently being a South Park reference mixed with lazy homophobia. It’s like being insulted by a YouTube comment lol.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Valerian is a more likable character than Marvel's Captain Marvel

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hilariously, it wasn't me. And if I'm lying, may the mods strike me down where I stand. :toxx:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

who the gently caress watches south park any more?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chuds

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DC Murderverse posted:

Libertarians

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fart City posted:

Libertarians

I thought they moved onto Rick & Morty.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Marvel was a good super hero movie. I'm convinced the marketing fell on its face trying to market it because many people in my circle of friends expected it to suck for some reason. Sam Jackson was a highlight and it's a wonder at this point how he hasn't been slotted in for a Phase 4 movie of his own. Brie Larson is a great Carol Danvers. I kind of wanted more Ronin in this since I felt like he would have been a good foil over Jude Law but I got a good chuckle during the climax when he tried to goad Danvers into a bro down and she was just not having any of that poo poo.

In the absence of Stan Lee, I'd like to see Goose appear in every MCU movie from now on.

Speaking of Stan Lee, Marvel should officially replace the intro title with his tribute one. I'd love that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Captain Marvel was a good super hero movie. I'm convinced the marketing fell on its face trying to market it because many people in my circle of friends expected it to suck for some reason. Sam Jackson was a highlight and it's a wonder at this point how he hasn't been slotted in for a Phase 4 movie of his own. Brie Larson is a great Carol Danvers. I kind of wanted more Ronin in this since I felt like he would have been a good foil over Jude Law but I got a good chuckle during the climax when he tried to goad Danvers into a bro down and she was just not having any of that poo poo.

None of that makes it a good superhero movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said come in! posted:

I thought they moved onto Rick & Morty.

Until the show drove it in deeper that Rick is and has always been a piece of poo poo, and that made people mad because their golden boy was taken down many pegs last season

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

None of that makes it a good superhero movie.

I'll take that into consideration when I rewatch and enjoy this on Netflix in a few months.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

I'll take that into consideration when I rewatch and enjoy this on Netflix in a few months.

If you need to insist how much you enjoy something, then your joy is weak.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"Woman who works for morally suspect space-corps" is such an amazing premise than I'm annoyed it's just the boring preamble in this movie. On the flip-side the movie gets good when it moves to 1990's LA, whereas previous movies like Masters of the Universe or Beastmaster II sucked because they were set in contemporary USA to skimp on the budget.

The challenge is how they will make Danvers interesting and not boringly overpowered. She wailed on the bad guys here like she was a Level 99 character who just started New Game+.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I appreciate that this capped off the 90s references by having the main character go Super Saiyan and then gently caress off into space indefinitely

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you need to insist how much you enjoy something, then your joy is weak.

I'll have you know my joy graduated top of its class in the Navy Seals.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Inspector Gesicht posted:

whereas previous movies like Masters of the Universe or Beastmaster II sucked
Whoah, let's not say things we'll live to regret.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

"Woman who works for morally suspect space-corps" is such an amazing premise than I'm annoyed it's just the boring preamble in this movie. On the flip-side the movie gets good when it moves to 1990's LA, whereas previous movies like Masters of the Universe or Beastmaster II sucked because they were set in contemporary USA to skimp on the budget.

The challenge is how they will make Danvers interesting and not boringly overpowered. She wailed on the bad guys here like she was a Level 99 character who just started New Game+.

Same thing happened to Thor.

Ragnarok’s climax was about him realizing that mjolnir was just a tool to focus his power, not the source of it. Then he spends all of Infinity War questing for a replacement.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The challenge is how they will make Danvers interesting

They won't.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Fart City posted:

Same thing happened to Thor.

Ragnarok’s climax was about him realizing that mjolnir was just a tool to focus his power, not the source of it. Then he spends all of Infinity War questing for a replacement.

It would be kind of funny seeing Thor shoot lightning out of his hands like Palpatine though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fart City posted:

Yeah? If it helps focus his power its going to be much more effective than shooting lighting everywhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please don't take this as a "but the plotholes!" criticism, but the use of Come As You Are doesn't make sense since Danvers left Earth in 1989, a few years before the song was written. the Supreme Intelligence wouldn't have been able to pull it from her mind. I'm pretty sure her taste in music would be more similar to Starlord's.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To be fair Stormbreaker or whatever is called was deemed a god killer and Thor had already fought Thanos (and lost horribly) right before IW began. So him searching for a weapon to kill Thanos with was the right move.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Probably by having her fight Thanos.

Captain Marvel 2 will be a real challenge for the writers, though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mymla posted:

I'll be kinda surprised if CM2 isn't just a Ms Marvel/Kamala Khan origin story

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mymla posted:

Probably by having her fight Thanos.

Nah, just go in space, Marvel has tons of mega-powered poo poo out there.

Plus none of the movies are consistent about power levels AT ALL so they can just make it whatever.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Man this is why so many people are going to be super confused by Clint going Ronin in Avengers Endgame

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

This came up when the Civil War comic happened, the X-Men just peaced out of the storyline completely because I guess the writers forgot the X-Men had been dealing with superhero registration/etc. type storylines for literal decades.

The writers didn’t forget, Cyclops told both factions to piss off. They wouldn’t help Tony because of his registration bullshit and refused to help Steve since there were so few X-men left and he wasn’t about to risk any of them helping people that didn’t even raise a voice of protest when the government turned the school into a reservation and stationed Sentinels all along the perimeter.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To be fair Stormbreaker or whatever is called was deemed a god killer and Thor had already fought Thanos (and lost horribly) right before IW began. So him searching for a weapon to kill Thanos with was the right move.

maybe write another plot then

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please don't take this as a "but the plotholes!" criticism, but the use of Come As You Are doesn't make sense since Danvers left Earth in 1989, a few years before the song was written. the Supreme Intelligence wouldn't have been able to pull it from her mind. I'm pretty sure her taste in music would be more similar to Starlord's.

shoulda gone with G&R IMO

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Man this is why so many people are going to be super confused by Clint going Ronin in Avengers Endgame

Woops. Ya, I originally typed Ronan and my phone autocorrected it to Ronin.