Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blockbuster was cool because you could leave the house and pick out a movie based off of weird cover art or whatever.

The late fees were poo poo but I always enjoyed those trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

you're in the CIA?

:laffo:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I saw this movie and really my biggest reaction is "why didn't she ever kiss her girlfriend?" Ambiguous homosexuality seems pretty weird to me, in this day and age, imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why can’t people be close friends?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, they could be, but the movie wasn't written like that. It was a standard Hollywood romance except without the kissing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Blockbuster was cool because you could leave the house and pick out a movie based off of weird cover art or whatever.

The late fees were poo poo but I always enjoyed those trips.

Yeah the latter is the reason I view the concept as somewhat overrated.

The former? I mean I still like doing that to this day. Kinda the vibe you get from going to used stores for such things.

I'm trying to eliminate myself from thinking of the propaganda in these movies by the Millitary Industrial Complex. It's rather blatant and will indeed ruin the experience as a whole if you see it with that in mind.

They really feel like the type of movies you go for popcorn value. It did it's job in that realm.

Plus with how insanely large the MCU is? It feels like you can't afford to miss many of these movies at the moment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Clarste posted:

I mean, they could be, but the movie wasn't written like that. It was a standard Hollywood romance except without the kissing.

I'll have to see the film for myself, because there's conflicting interpretations of the Carol/Maria relationship between the CineD and BSS movie threads.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 9, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Clarste posted:

It really isn’t. It’s two friends who are close to each other. That’s how close friends act.

Yes there was a scene where you could put in a kiss, but I think that was more due to the location and setting. Outdoors, sunset, def gon kiss.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, the standard Hollywood romance is just a man and a woman who don't hate each other so therefore they must kiss by the end of the movie. So it's a pretty low bar to meet.

Anyway, all I can say is that when watching the movie I had the strong feeling that her friend was the love interest, except it was hastily rewritten to emphasize the word "friend" a little more.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was certainly more overt than the Cap/Bucky relationship that the internet has glommed on to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I have seen friendships that are like that, but yeaaaah it wouldn't shock me if it comes out in 2 weeks that the original draft had them as lovers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Y'all need more close friends and less internet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This feels really weird because usually I'm on the other end of the conversation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It should also be noted that as members of the military in 1989/1995 there would have been a very good reason to keep any same-sex relationship under lock and key.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I think my only real complaint is that the sound track is jarring at points. Nothing actually wrong with the film whatsoever, but it is very firmly a middle of the pack marvel film for better or for worse. All the idiots review bombing need to get a loving life, honestly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always hated Blockbuster because they caused three of the best mom and pop vhs stores in my neighborhood to close within a year, and Blockbuster didn't carry Troma movies or anything unrated, so their horror selection was weak af

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ruddiger posted:

I always hated Blockbuster because they caused three of the best mom and pop vhs stores in my neighborhood to close within a year, and Blockbuster didn't carry Troma movies or anything unrated, so their horror selection was weak af

A film writer on twitter pointed out that there are a lot of people who have nostalgia for Blockbuster, but the group of people immediately older than them hate Blockbuster because they wrecked all of the independent movie stores and replaced it with an inferior product.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I love that Blockbuster's legacy amounts to being a symbol of bankruptcy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

turtlecrunch posted:

Y'all need more close friends and less internet.

All my close friends moved out of state like 8 years ago :(

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It's very important to some of y'all that they not be in love and that's pretty odd imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's very important to some of y'all that they not be in love and that's pretty odd imo
Hmm. No.

There’s something about people being close friends that tends to be misconstrued to them being in love. Which yes it’s a love, but in a different way.

I wouldn’t have minded one bit if they were in love. That’s fine! But I, personally, didn’t see that element in this film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. Like, look at Scrubs with JD and Turk. I haven't seen Captain Marvel tho.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

However, the movie does one pretty ballsy thing with the lore of the Marvel universe, and will only really pull out the rug from under you if you’re actually a comic reading nerd. It uses your comic knowledge against you.

This blew me away, to be honest. Like, I'm not a super Comic Book Guy, but even I knew that Skrulls are bad guys and invade places, and it was a pleasant shock to basically have that flipped around on me. poo poo, I'm waiting for the inevitable* and the movie shrugging over it was great.

* Speaking of that, man alive did I love the quasi-reveal of where Fury lost his eye. You're thinking of some horrible thing, you're waiting for it, and BOOM it's just an alien cat-scratch that a Skrull wordlessly implies doesn't heal like one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just got to see this I felt it was just okay. Honestly their wasn't really that many great fights in it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Agree about the music, especially how she was gone for the 90s thus far. I can easily see the daughter literally building a spaceship to save the day in the next Infinity War because it was a throw away line there at the end.

Overall, Captain bit-more-than decent to me. I enjoyed it. Reading this thread brings up a lot of good points that is knocking it down a few notches it otherwise wouldn't had I not read them.

Little bit too much 'oh hey a gameboy!' 'oh hey my favorite now bankrupt companies!' 'oh hey a motorola two-way!' and 'oh hey Don't go chasing waterfalls!'

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also shameful that there wasn't a single can of Surge anywhere to be seen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Unrelated, I never quite knew I wanted Jude Law being fireblasted into the side of a rock after making an intense speech, but here we are.

Like, sure, I know it's a ripoff of another movie, but like I said.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Its an incredible okay movie.2 hours of marvel movie beamed into my brain.The only bad thing was the train chase that was super flat and without rhythm, and some special effect shots. 6.5/10

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Was there another post credits scene after the standard style credits? I stayed for the first one that came up after CAPTAIN MARVEL but my son really had to pee so didn't sit through the boring credits.

If so, someone mind spoilering the jist of it? Was it just a young Bruce Banner throwing switches in a power plant like that Barq's root beer commercial? Or Tony interviewing for a job and mispronouncing Mr. Dumas's name?

gently caress you I loved the 90s

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

I saw this movie and really my biggest reaction is "why didn't she ever kiss her girlfriend?" Ambiguous homosexuality seems pretty weird to me, in this day and age, imo.

Old white Disney execs are still uncomfortable admitting they like steamy lesbian sex.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, I never quite knew I wanted Jude Law being fireblasted into the side of a rock after making an intense speech, but here we are.

Like, sure, I know it's a ripoff of another movie, but like I said.

that whole speech/scene reminded me so much of Ben Shapiro/Steven Crowder and their ilk constantly challenging people to debates.

edit;

TraderStav posted:

Was there another post credits scene after the standard style credits? I stayed for the first one that came up after CAPTAIN MARVEL but my son really had to pee so didn't sit through the boring credits.

If so, someone mind spoilering the jist of it? Was it just a young Bruce Banner throwing switches in a power plant like that Barq's root beer commercial? Or Tony interviewing for a job and mispronouncing Mr. Dumas's name?

gently caress you I loved the 90s

Goose hacking up the Tesseract like a hairball

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

that whole speech/scene reminded me so much of Ben Shapiro/Steven Crowder and their ilk constantly challenging people to debates.

edit;

Goddamnit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

I had a viscerally negative reaction to that scene. Like, intellectually I knew what was coming, but something deep inside me was screaming OH NO GET THE CUTE CAT OUTSIDE NOW reaction. I don't even own one (I'm too allergic), but jesus that was deep-seatedly uncomfortable to sit through.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

someone should have grabbed the closest paper and put it under his mouth, then realized it was an important paper.

y'know, for realism

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Also shameful that there wasn't a single can of Surge anywhere to be seen.

No Zima or Clear Pepsi either. Thankfully...

The POP CULTURE REFERENCES here are my biggest complaint with the movie, as most people have already said. I'd be okay with adding more nostalgia if this movie had even the slightest subtlety. Like some ridiculous Easter eggs for uber nerds to find. "OMG in at the 1 hour 13 minute mark, you can see Goose playing with a POG slammer in the background!"

But instead we'd get some stupid poo poo like this:.

Nick Fury looks to Captain Marvel.
Fury: "Did she just attack that man with a children's toy?"
Marvel: "Looks like I... TOMA-GOT-CHU"
Captain Marvel punches the Skrull soldier again, then smiles and winks at the camera.
*"Hit Me Baby One More Time" plays at full blast*

I don't know, it was otherwise a good comic book movie. I'm more interested in the future of the character. Thor 1 & 2 weren't all that great in my eyes but Ragnarok is one of my top MCU. Hell, I didn't even like the first Captain America but loved part 2. I admit CM was a bit underwhelming, I was expecting a bit more since this is (presumably) the savior for Endgame. But I'm also glad I saw it day 1 and stopped reading crappy online complaints. Like the dumb poo poo I just wrote.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I had a viscerally negative reaction to that scene. Like, intellectually I knew what was coming, but something deep inside me was screaming OH NO GET THE CUTE CAT OUTSIDE NOW reaction. I don't even own one (I'm too allergic), but jesus that was deep-seatedly uncomfortable to sit through.

They even did the accurate thing where the cat stops doing it halfway through only to actually spit up a few seconds later.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Definitely would have been a better movie with out the nostalgia overload. Imagine classical movies just doing that poo poo :\

I guess they set it up where the little girl is going to build a space ship for the avengers in the next movie or something...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Okay, compiled my thoughts.

Captain Marvel is... A Movie.

Like that's all I got. I can't point at one thing in particular that stands out. If someone was to ever distill the Marvel Cinematic Method into a movie, it's this. What's most egregious is the utter lack of an identity. It has nothing to say, or nothing to add. It takes no stance on anything in particular. It is beige on film.

Larson seems bored. Jackson is fun (and the de-aging is legitimately game-changing for film at large), the cat is p great.

Otherwise it's a movie that makes you constantly think it would have been cooler if they did THIS as you watch it.

Also holy poo poo that fight scene song was a baaaad choice.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm going to admit the opening got to me. I did not expect that. I know Stan wasn't always the greatest human being, but he did have a huge part in making Marvel what it is and has been. DC was the 900 pound gorilla and they've spent 50 years trying to play catch up and that's because of Stan.

I loved Goose. The movie felt like a chapter of a larger story. There weren't any major missteps other than the musical choices but it wasn't as adventuresome as it could have been. I knew when I saw the patch that it was inhibiting her ability rather than supplying it. I liked the final "nope, we aren't fighting". The second end credit scene was hilarious.

I've sat in front of some computers on dial up so I laughed a little at the references. Someone needed to be on the Space Jam website.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pigbuster posted:

They even did the accurate thing where the cat stops doing it halfway through only to actually spit up a few seconds later.

Wait, they do that? Jesus wept. I thought it was bad when I recently discovered that if someone owns two dogs, you need to buy two bones because they evidently don't like sharing.

(I know it's off-topic, sorry, I'm just learning a lot here and I am, as the kids say, shook)