Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks like chuds are bombing the poo poo out of Captain Marvel's audience score. Currently sitting at 39%. Just shut down Rotten Tomatoes tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Clarste posted:

I mean, they could be, but the movie wasn't written like that. It was a standard Hollywood romance except without the kissing.

I'll have to see the film for myself, because there's conflicting interpretations of the Carol/Maria relationship between the CineD and BSS movie threads.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 9, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Y'all need more close friends and less internet.

All my close friends moved out of state like 8 years ago :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Decided to go see this earlier on a whim. I've been spoiled by Fury Road and Alita since I've watched both films a lot in the past month because I found this movie to be wholly unremarkable in every aspect by comparison.

Captain Marvel is not a bad movie, but it's just a movie; very much feels like the apex of the MCU formula, the ultimate display of a film that is inoffensive, harmless, milquetoast, vanilla, etc. The story and everyone involved comes across as an exercise in just going through the motions leading up to Endgame really. Nothing ambitious or compelling about this film at all. Brie Larson was alright, but as with everything else in movie, there was nothing really standout about her performance, or the character. She's just there, just like this movie existing. Sam Jackson was fine; de-aging tech looked good, but the film should make me care more about his character than being amazed by the de-aging tech; almost nothing interesting is done with his character. Again, he's just there.

My only real takeaways from this film were Ben Mendelsohn as Talos chewing up the scenery and the moment when Jude Law tries to save face and Carol just blasts him away. Other than that, yeah. Pretty unremarkable overall.

As far as romantic undertones regarding Carol and Maria's relationship that were up for debate earlier, yeah, I didn't pick up on any of that all personally.

[edit] Also, this is right up there with Black Panther in having the most boring and uninspired set pieces in a big blockbuster film.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 10, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Seems everyone liked Jude Law’s speech but the punchline was so predictable. It was such a Joss Whedon thing to do.

Jude Law sells it hard, that's what I liked it about it most.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A friend described this film as being made from MCU concentrate. I laughed and agreed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't forget by making the refugees shapeshifters, they are also implying that even though refugees could perfectly assimilate with us, they would never really "be" us.

Lmao, yeah. What reason is there that the Skrulls couldn't stay on Earth again? I just remember Maria saying they can't and that was that. Talos even wanted to be Fury's boss again and they wouldn't let him :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Again, Earth is literally called "a shithole" in the film, and the writers knew exactly what they were doing by using that word of all words.

What's stopping the Skrulls from cohabiting with the people of Earth to forge a new path of existence for both species? More so with Carol heralding such a cause as the, allegedly, most powerful being in the universe?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

The fact that the people of Earth can't even cohabitate with each other

I'm saying why couldn't the introduction of Skrulls usher in a new era in human history?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I feel like the combination of Carol being the "one-woman security force" as Fury described, along with Skrulls being Earth's moment of First Contact would change the course of Earth's history and status in the MCU cosmos, but the film actively decides against that potential because Carol has to disappear for 20 years before Endgame.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'll make is very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. it's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. it's just a fun action movie that intro..
More

This will never not be funny to me. Especially copying the "more" — loving hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wouldn't the responsible thing to have done is take the Skrulls in anyways? Even if Earth is a shithole, having a shithole home is better than not having a home.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Or they're numbered in the thousands on a technologically and culturally advanced planet and Carol's still looking for more with a select group of Skrulls on the ship and they're having fun space adventures along the way.

I was under the impression that all the other Skrulls were on the run as well. Where are you getting that they are situated on a technologically/culturally advanced planet? Is that just an assumption?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm guessing that Carol sought a bunch out, found a planet for them when she had found enough that they could no longer be comfortable on the ship, and then continued seeking them out since the Kree are trying to exterminate them. It was not exactly a giant logical leap.

I suppose, but again, I don't see any logical reason why they couldn't just stay on Earth anyways, even if the planet is technologically/culturally not as advanced. The Skrulls that were on Earth all seemed perfectly fine on the planet. If it were too dangerous for Earth to have the Skrulls cohabit with the human race because they're being hunted by Kree, I can't believe that reasoning since the film presented and explicitly stated that Carol is straight up a one-woman security force.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Why didn't Fury page Carol when the Chitauri invaded?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always assumed that because it takes her months to get back in time for Avengers Endgame he knew she couldn't get there in time to help

That's a good point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

Maybe it's just me but since the Skrulls kept saying "we want to go somewhere the Kree aren't going to find us and shoot us" and then the Kree come to earth and started shooting at them, Earth probably isn't far enough away from the Kree for them to feel safe.

Of course if we extrapolate this into the real world it looks really lovely.

Carol would just gently caress Kree poo poo if up they try to start anything with Earth though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Would you complain about a WW2 movie where a refugee is shuttled from safe house to safe house to keep them out of the hands of a hunting enemy? And the only townsfolk with a gun is sent to make sure the refugee is safe?

Is that townsfolk Steve Rogers?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CheesyDog posted:

Counterpoint: who would want to stay on Earth

Alien refugees in search of a home.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So is Captain Marvel technically the first avenger?

[Edit] because the initiative was named after her callsign, and was created while Cap was still on ice.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 11, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just think it would have been cool if humans and Skrulls cohabited Earth and ushered in a new era of human/Skrull history that elevated the planet in the MCU cosmos. I understand that can't happen because of MCU continuity, but the film never gave me any reason to think that couldn't have happened, not when Carol can literally protect the entire planet and everyone on it.

Similar scenario would have been like, say in Man of Steel, instead of Zod wanting to use the World Engine to make Earth into a new Krypton, he and his group came in peace and helped the human race advance their tech, thus moving humans up the Kardeshev scale to a Type 2 civilization or something. But the film presents Zod as a crazy genocidal maniac so, yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My criticisms don't usually align with Red Letter Media when it comes to comic book movies, but I'm about 15 minutes into their Captain Marvel review and they sure are right on the money imo. Spittin' truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQNYeOEFJc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

you mean the fifteen minutes they spend trying to make Brie Larson look like a crazy person?

No, the actual review. Skip the first 6 minutes of the Milwaukee tourism stuff. I don't care for their Brie Larson rant, but I do agree with Jay in that I didn't really get much out of the Captain Marvel character, as I stated earlier in my post-screening thoughts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I dunno, I thought they explained their position as best as they could without being at all offensive. I might not agree with their rant, but I get what they were trying to say. I mostly agree with their criticisms of the film itself though, which is a first for me when it comes to their comic book movie reviews. Jay is usually more receptive of Marvel films too, which actually surprised me. I thought they both were going to eat this film up since, as described by my friend, it was like it was made from MCU concentrate, and the RLM guys tend to really like their stuff.

[edit] Thinking about more, I should say it's actually rare for me to have my opinion align with RLM when it comes to comic book movies. They enjoyed Wonder Woman :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 12, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Remember Thanos is basically a god. With the Infinity Gauntlet he is way more powerful than Captain Marvel.

But what about Thanos without the gauntlet? Is Carol stronger than him then? We don't know what kind of state the gauntlet is in after THE SNAP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ScottyJSno posted:

IMO Captain Marvel didn't do anything that the Hulk or especially Thor could have done. I thought she was a bit under powered to be a threat to Thanos.

Has anyone other then fans said that she would be the solution?

Kevin Feige has said Captain Marvel is the most powerful superhero in the MCU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^^^:yeah:

She's probably even more powerful now!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

you mean the fifteen minutes they spend trying to make Brie Larson look like a crazy person?

Phylodox posted:

Nothing more fun than watching two 40-year-old white movie reviewers get super defensive at the idea that a woman doesn’t care what they think.

Seriously, this is loving embarrassing.

Just want to bring these up real quick because I watched Red Letter Media's review again but this time with several other people, all of whom loved the film and are aware of all the drama surrounding it.

Pretty much everyone was on the same page regarding the Brie rant in the review. We all didn't like how they picked on Brie Larson's personality, which was totally unneeded, but we all agreed with them regarding how Brie Larson framed her argument with a bit of condescension and negativity. Her message was good, but her delivery could have been better and more positive, as the RLM guys suggested. Other than that, yeah, we were split on the actual movie review so :shrug: just wanted to give another perspective. The RLM guys may be 40 year old white dudes, but they were calling out all the dumb idiots on both sides.

Disclaimer: my friends jokingly keep calling me a chud for liking Alita more than Captain Marvel, so maybe they're idiots actually. Oh well, whatever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

i think these guys maybe don't quite understand feminism enough to be talking about it. Like, the moment when they said "there's a school of thought in feminism that says you can't be a true feminist if you're a white lady" is such a total misreading of what intersectionality is. It's not "you can't be feminist if you're a white lady" it's "you can't be feminist if you're only fighting for issues that affect white ladies", which is why the fact about how most white women voted for Trump is relevant. It's not saying that if you're a white lady you're automatically bad, it's saying that you can't really call yourself a feminist if you're not fighting for all women, and recognizing that different women have different experiences and even within the whole scope of "Woman" there are levels of varying privilege.

Yeah, you can tell they're really not well versed in discussing political elements relating to film. I don't think they needed to include their thoughts on the "elephant in the room" but I understand why they did. I do appreciate their approach to the issue though; it's levelheaded for the most part but has that tinge of RLM sarcasm I find entertaining, even if/when I don't agree with what they're saying.

[edit]

DC Murderverse posted:

tone arguments are the domain of people who don't like what you're saying but don't have a good reason to criticize the substance of it.

edit: between mocking her for her answers in a dumb press junket video and making really dumb and facile criticisms of her in an interview talking about being a woman in film, they were clearly trying to delegitimize her opinion. "look at this mean lady saying mean things, she said a mean thing about us, we don't like her" is the beginning and end of their argument re: her opinion on critics, and "her delivery could have been better" is in the same lane.

Ehh, I don't think they were actively going out of their to try and delegitimize Brie Larson's opinion. I mean, they pretty much agreed with her to an extent, but yeah, they definitely amped up the negative stuff surrounding Brie to beef up their perspective, especially with those intercut edits from the press junket/interview clips. But that's all pretty much done in true RLM fashion, it's like what they're good at and known for. But they do go on to agree with her opinion that, yes, more voices and diversity and representation, all that is a good thing and is needed. They just don't agree with the manner and avenue she sent her opinion down, and I kinda agree with them.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 12, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

This definitely felt particularly gross to me, moreso than their usual “disaffected nerds” schtick. They go out of their way to police Larson’s tone, and pretty viciously belittle her argument (“Diversity in film reviewing is nice, but it’s so not important, it’s dumb that she thinks this is important”). Their rant felt about a half a stone’s throw from a genuine, full-on CHUD tantrum.

I agree that the bit where they say that as far as social justice issues goes, film criticism is on the lower rung, because representation and diversity matters everywhere. But I wouldn't say they viciously belittled her, not when comparing their review to other, legit crazy poo poo that's out there. Like RLM would never go out of their way to call the film feminist propaganda lmao. The parts where they give Larson poo poo is them being "on brand" with their criticism imo. Might seem vicious to you, but it seemed pretty much like they were doing what they always do to me, which is definitely nowhere near the level of throwing a "CHUD tantrum" lol. But like I said in a few posts above, these guys aren't really well versed enough to discuss politics in film I think. I watch a lot of their content for laughs, and probably disagree with them 90% of time, but I do think they were being pretty genuine in their own way with this review. Can totally understand if you think it's BS though.

[edit]

LesterGroans posted:

Why the gently caress is a youtube movie review channel reviewing a press junket interview?

The RLM guys have always done stuff like that, using various sources of footage that's heavily edited to reinforce their arguments, usually done so in an effort to make it come off comedic in fashion.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And I'm glad to see the latest Marvel movie remains forgotten in the thread about it.

I mean, there's not really much to talk about regarding the film itself :razz:

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 12, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Stuff like calling Larsen out for being too “snarky and disinterested” (holy hypocrisy, Batman!) on a press segment feels uncomfortably petty to me.

That's the kind of stuff I didn't agree with in the review and felt was unnecessary, yes. I made some edits to my original post but yeah, like I said, I totally get if you think they're full of BS in the review. Just doesn't come across that way to me, personally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Avalerion posted:

I tried watching it but halfway through they still only talked about the actresses interviews without even touching on the movie they were supposed to be reviewing. But since they started with that whole milwaukee derail maybe not reviewing movies is their whole thing? :psyduck:

It's part of their schtick. RLM's brand of comedy isn't for everyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

My problem is that it doesn’t feel like comedy at all. I’m familiar with their usual stuff, and that segment drops most of their self-effacing or affected ennui style of humour in favour of what feels like a genuinely mean spirited attack. And though, yeah, they’re not as outspokenly malicious as the really vocal CHUDs, a lot of their arguments are taken from the same handbook.

Ehh, still feels on brand for me :shrug: And like sure, they don't get a free pass because being jaded old fucks is part of their schtick, but even Jay calls out the chud mentality of dwelling on the issue, making the whole thing worse than it really should have been. Their approach to the issue feels more centrist than anything imo, but again, I understand why someone might not be a fan of that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of toxic morons. I made a huge mistake venturing back into CD, no wonder everyone says this place is poo poo these days
bye

Lol, this guy went and hosed off back to the Red Letter Media GBS thread. Good job guys, way to be inclusive :v:

[Edit] I'm doing a double feature of Alita and Captain Marvel today. Want to give this movie another chance to convince me it wasn't as bland and boring as I thought it was.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 12, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Got back from seeing this again. Second viewing didn't change my mind. SSJ Fire Mohawk costume still dope though. Hope the action in Endgame showcases her in proper fashion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Captain America is gonna die and as he's dying turn to Carol and say "ur the cap now dog"

and then he dies and everyone doesn't know whether to laugh at the sick quip or cry because he's real dead

Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MasterSitsu posted:

I have no passionate thoughts on RLM nor Captain Marvel yet I found myself incredibly annoyed watching their review. Maybe it's because their intro essentially declared themselves above the fray, only to then spend half of the review entering the fray. And in the most 'have your cake and eat it too' way imaginable. They want to appear woke enough to avoid being singled out for chud-dom (We liked Tangerine even though we didnt cover it!) while also placating the typical youtube chud audience (here, we will harp on Brie Larson just enough that you wont feel lumped in with the incels we will make fun of). It just rubs me the wrong way like one of the lazier South Park "I learned something today" speeches.

I think they were genuinely offended about being 40 year old white critics who rightly or wrongly, got mocked - but find their ironic detachment schtick important enough to not want to put it on their sleeve. The worst thing they could do is appear to care.

I enjoy RLM best when they give me their perspectives on film, because I always like listening to any kind of thoughtful analysis, especially if I don't agree with what's being said, moreso if its presented in way I find entertaining (which they usually do because I like that dry humor poo poo). That said, I could definitely do without their politics, but regarding all the controversy around Captain Marvel, they gotta get that max CPM so I get why they talked about it. Someone posted it elsewhere, but they do basically try to come off as "enlightened centrists" whenever they discuss political influence in the media/film/entertainment industry, and I agree with everyone in that they should just not do that lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

If she were a man people would be fine with that.

Hmm? What's wrong with Captain Marvel being sassy and confident? I might not have gotten that out of how the character was written or performed in the film, but I get what they were trying to do with Carol. Better, more consistent writing (and direction?) would have worked for Brie Larson, who I think is a solid actress and probably would have elevated the character if given something really good and polished to work with, so I blame the director and writer for that one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

the cup is wrong color

attention to detail fail

That's just Marvel's lovely/nonexistent color grading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

It’s way off, Samuel Jackson is dark brown and Ben Mendelson is green with a yellow tint

I know, I'm just poking at fun at MCU movies general lack of decent color grading.