Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Looks like chuds are bombing the poo poo out of Captain Marvel's audience score. Currently sitting at 39%. Just shut down Rotten Tomatoes tbh.

Typically I don't pay attention to audience reviews, but the Last Jedi was a 91% of movie critics enjoyed the film while audience was around 30% when the movie came out and the audience score ended up being far more accurate by a huge margin. I'm still seeing Captain Marvel this weekend and will just decide for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are some incredibly dumb poo poo takes in this thread on the refugee thing and it comes as no surprise that's coming from the usual suspects in CD.

Anywho this was a great movie and it made me even more excited for End Game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fart City posted:

Libertarians

I thought they moved onto Rick & Morty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

There’s the ol’ Joss Whedon playbook where you can have Captain Marvel’s badassery built up and then when she faces Thanos she gets destroyed in one hit

Joss Whedon's playbook would be making Captain Marvel 2, but there would be a male character that was ultimately the main focused and he explained everything to her (if you think i'm joking, go look up his proposed script for Wonder Woman).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Like others here, I'm curious how they will dial back her powers in Endgame, because wow, if she can destroy Kree destroyers by casually flying through them, it makes one wonder what she can do to Thanos.

Remember Thanos is basically a god. With the Infinity Gauntlet he is way more powerful than Captain Marvel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

He may be way more powerful than the Captain Marvel That We Just Watched, but there is about a quarter century between the events of this movie and those of Infinity War. It is reasonable to conclude that CM could have gotten way more powerful in the interim, to the point where Marvel Studios basically spent a whole year marketing her as the thing that can reverse The Snap.

I'm convinced that it's going to be Ant-Man that reverses the snap based on how Antman & the Wasp goes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I was complaining about the saturation of it

Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of toxic morons. I made a huge mistake venturing back into CD, no wonder everyone says this place is poo poo these days
bye

To be fair Mel Mudkiper is universally mocked by everyone in CD and no one wants him here either. It's best to just gloss over his posts. You're responding to a gimmick account / troll.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hollywood needs to stop getting involved with the military and glorifying it. There is nothing heroic / brave about joining the military and no one does it to "defend our freedom" which is always at best an incredibly vague statement that has no real meaning behind it. I didn't even actually know Captain Marvel was this deep in with U.S. military propaganda, I for the most part tuned this film out after the first trailer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Captain America is gonna die and as he's dying turn to Carol and say "ur the cap now dog"

and then he dies and everyone doesn't know whether to laugh at the sick quip or cry because he's real dead

I won't accept any other outcome especially since we are almost 100% certain Captain America is dying in this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

No because she's gonna be court martialed for being AWOL since the 90s

The person who would court martial her was snapped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

The tip-toeing around a homosexual relationship is the most 90s thing about Captain Marvel.

This disappointed me the most about Captain Marvel because it's super blatant that Carol and Maria had a romantic relationship at one point. Not spelling it out for the audience is totally fine, but to me it felt like the film was literally trying to say "just two gals being pals :) please don't read into it any other way!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did anyone else catch the Blockbuster scene where Carol picks up a VHS of the movie The Right Stuff? That is a good movie and I loved that reference, also perfect considering Carol's past.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

lmao my typo there

lmao! My brain auto-corrected your post but I still had to do a double take and knew what you really meant.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Movie is good but is held back by some odd decisions that have already been discussed in this thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I found it critical of the patriarchy, as represented by all the male authority figures in Carol Danvers’ life who kept telling her she would never be strong enough or capable because she was female/emotional and then she stood up in defiance of them.

Also anyone arguing this movie at all supports military is not watching the movie where the major military force is the villains and the secondary military is dismissive towards the lead in almost every scene they are mentioned in.

It’s the same deal with Black Panther “supporting” the CIA because one character is part of them and actually outright says the techniques the villain uses were taught to him by the CIA and is himself heroic by acting outside the guidelines of the CIA, and ends up helping the other heroic characters avoid the CIA.

At least that’s the things I got from the movies when I watched them and maybe I’m wrong.

You're not wrong about any of this. People are mostly talking about outside the film where this military propaganda is taking place. Marvel, the actors, and the Air Force have a marketing deal to promote air Force recruitment using Captain Marvel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Uh, excuse me, but it’s Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, starring Doom.

I really love Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not all of his movies are good, but he is so fun to watch, and a really great guy in real life.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Oh don't worry they hated that one too

I fear what we're seeing is the next generation of lifelong Republican voters.

I hadn't actually realized that anyone period hated Mad Max Fury Road. I can't for the life of me see what anyone could not like about that film, it's perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Brie Larson made comments about a completely unrelated movie, A Wrinkle in Time, which angered a lot of people who directed their hate at Brie/CM/disney

Here, go nuts
https://www.google.com/search?q=brie+larson+comments

Brie Larsons comments were pretty loving stupid. Gal Gadot didn't make herself look like a foolish moron in public, so Wonder Woman didn't really get any controversy. Wonder Woman also wasn't blatant military recruitment propaganda.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yes, definitely no military propaganda going on in Wonder Woman, where the World War I-era Germans may as well have been Nazis.

Sorry, you are correct, I totally remember now that time Wonder Woman tried to convince the audience to join the Nazi party.