Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
is this thing full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i did the thing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

peramene posted:

Final Tentative Final Cast List:
(Alphabetical by SA username)
CuriousCat - Artemis O'Hara - Hara

I was going to make a joke about this but honestly I don't know enough about the game to tell if it's actually a typo.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Prince of Space posted:

Vermilion Jarlis

Hm, that is quite unfortunate for this one to hear. Do you think you or someone else in your high esteem might implore that Larcenist Brodski to come with you, wherever that may be? This cannot meet you tomorrow as he will be participating at the big show at the Fountain.

Hm. This one is also curious - - Larcenist Brodsky - - if you are there on the Communicators: we must talk. I have good reason to believe you have something that belongs to my people. It's a matter that needs clearing up, so at the very least the sooner we can work things out amicably the better.

If you're not going to go to the Fountain tomorrow and you're not going to talk to me here on the Communicators, Larcenist Brodsky, then I must insist that you go wherever Scholar Xavier or Seeker Kasia are headed tomorrow, unless Sena or Eg are present at Muscle Row too?!

Either way, please let me know, friends. Vermilion out~

Larcenist Brodsky

Heya Verbillium, sorry I'm just now getting in touch, must have had my communicator set to silent. You know how it is. Anyway, I'm super glad we get to talk, because I thought I could use this as an opportunity to share a little bit about Shirnao culture.

See, in Whiterock, we have this custom where, when you accuse someone of stealing, you usually say what it was that was taken from you.

In the past day, I've borrowed two cigarettes, a notebook, a glass of wine, some hair pins, an egg, and some succulents that someone just left laying in a garden. If any of those are yours, I'd be more than happy to return them.

Like I was telling my best friend Scholar Xavier, I'm sure this is just a little misunderstanding that I'm sure we can clear up, I just have to take care of a little business real quick and then I'll meet up with you as soon as I can. Good luck with the puppet show! I'm bummed I'm gonna miss it, but you can tell me all about it.

Over.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

George Kansas posted:

Indigo Jheorge

Excuse me, Larcenist Brodsky I believe it was? I am curious why your name contains the word Larcenist. It seems like the kind of noun I'd tend to.... avoid, when it comes to self-description.

Hi, person I haven't met! It's me, Brodsky. Can you hear me? I hope you can hear me. If not, let me know. Anyway, I guess the difference between you and I is ultimately our capacity for deception. I like to play it straight, I am what I am. You call me 'Yegg Brodsky' if you want instead, I always liked that word. Yegg yegg yegg. I think I like it because it sounds like 'egg,' which is funny. Over.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Prince of Space posted:

Vermilion Jarlis

Why yes, my Varbani(?) friend, but just because we're all like so many individual leaves branching out from the great trees of the endless forest, it doesn't mean that we can't have nice things like 'expectations of personal property' and 'protections from theft.'

As you say, we may all be "borrowed from the stars," but that's only because - in theory - we eventually return to them. Therefore, this one would like to see the return of the things taken from his people, so these things can truly count as "borrowed." Is that so unfair to ask? This one thinks not.

Larcenist Brodsky

Hi Vermillions, your pal Brodsky here. Just wanted to say I think you have some pretty enlightened attitudes regarding the concept of personal property. I like your words, because they're like my head-words, but smarter. Over.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poque posted:

Scholar Xavier

Brodsky, where are you?

Wow, in like, the Macro sense? Gosh, what a question. Sometimes I feel like I'm just like a boat upon a winding river twisting towards an endless black sea, further and further drifting away from where I want to be, who I want to be. Like, right now I'm in the Common District being mugged by Zanzian, that's hardly ideal. How did I end up here? What choices led to me, a humble Larcenist, being brutally accosted by some mean little goon?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

So there is no trader at the guild right now?

Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! I'm currently being menaced, but I'd be happy to help with any business needs you might have! If you have any snacks you have to share them with me though, guild policy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

sniper4625 posted:

Hey, would either you or Zanzian, at some point during this apparently incredibly slow-speed mugging, feel like telling us what this is all about?

Larcenist Brodsky

Well, your boy here shared some information in the spirit of mutual cooperation and trust. Gosh, what an error that turned out to be. Some people want something I have, so they've sent Zanzibar here to do their dirty work for them. Some say delegation is a sign of leadership, but I say if it's worth doing, do it yourself.

Anyway, alas, your poor sweet Larcenist has become the larcenized! Larcenisted? I was given the choice to take a 'trade' or take a beating for what I have. That's capitalism I suppose!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! My name is Brodsky and I'd be happy to be your mayor. Thanks!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Can Lain and I both be mayor? That sounds fun. They could handle all the puppet-related issues.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Will the other candidates be able to make it to the fountain for a public debate or not? I would like to know if I am able to move elsewhere.

Do we really need to argue? That doesn't sound like very much fun. I think we should have a race or do rock-paper-scissors instead to decide who is best, but only if we can't all agree!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

The Matrons are a bunch of busy-bodies. I can't believe anyone would think it's okay to imprison Pitzae just because she broke one of the Matrons' rules. What if the penalty was even harsher? Would you say 'Oh, well, she was told not to go there by the Matrons, so really Pitzae deserved to lose their head.' What right do they have to imprison someone who isn't even from Whiterock. All of that sucks. Boo!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Meinberg posted:

Sovereign nations have the right to enforce their laws. If you believe that said laws are unjust, then I recommend a more organized form of civil disobedience. While I can understand wanting to spit in the face of laws that you do not agree with, doing so is not likely to yield productive results.

Larcenist Brodsky

Hi Speaker! It's very impressive that you're able to talk so eloquently while also licking those boots.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Meinberg posted:

I mean, it is in the title after all.

I think it's super interesting how you speak on the rights of nations, but not on the rights of people! Personally that's not how I would do it, but I guess everyone has their own perspective. Gosh, I wonder if there was even a trial, and if that trial was held to any kind of standard. It's fun to think about these things, don't you agree?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Meinberg posted:

Well excuse me for thinking that we live in a society! While I know our laws to be, in many cases, unjust, I’ve found the enforcement of them to be perfectly even-handed. I also am clearly a boot lick for thinking that we should move towards constructive, sustainable change rather than engaging in short-term rebellion.

Hmmmm, are you saying that it doesn't matter if the law is correct so long as it is reasonably enforced? Gosh, you must be really smart to understand that because it doesn't make any sense to me! I guess it doesn't matter what injustices are suffered now so long as things get better at some interminable point in the future.

What is a nation, anyway? Just a bunch of people, right? What's to keep me from forming my own nation? I'm founding Brodskytown, it's a country by me for everyone. It's my sovereign right to tell you to go appeal for Pitske's immediate release. Anyone who wants to join Brodskytown is welcome! I made us a flag!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

curiousCat posted:

Once again, it really sounds like she vandalized a sacred site, and made her clean it before letting her leave.

Larcenist Brodsky

It's too bad there's no way to get both sides of the story! That could clear all this up. Oh well!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

You know, I don't understand your, ah, "beef" with the Matrons. They've been nothing but kind to me, and I'm the daughter of their drat conqueror. Have you considered not ste- my apologies, "borrowing" their things without permission?

Larcenist Brodsky

Golly, those sure are some assumptions you're making about me! Black to all that, buddy. I'm so happy that you had fun in Whiterock! It's interesting, but over the past few years I've discovered that personal experience is not universal to everyone. Pretty interesting, don't you think?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

Kasia

Then please, by all means, describe your experiences so that I may understand.

Larcenist Brodsky

I didn't have much fun and it was not good. I did like catching solastings though, that was cool.

Am I mayor yet? I zoned out there for a minute.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! Azure told me to come with her to the mayor's office, so I think I'm helping with that! I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'm guessing that means I shouldn't touch the supplies yet!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bagshotrow posted:

All traders: although you all work at your own discretion, ciel and I would prefer that no one go to channelwood until the deal is verified and violence is ceased.

I trust your judgment, Brodsky, but please consider our concerns.

Right right, our concerns. Absolutely. Got it. Totally got those concerns on lock. Me? Heh, yeah, I know all about our concerns. Obviously.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Meinberg posted:

I found something strange.

Larcenist Brodsky

I was just holding it for a friend!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poque posted:

Scholar Xavier

Thank you for your patience. I was with Seeker Kasia earlier in the landfall of Everdunes and did not feel comfortable speaking about the election there, based mostly on how I would see the Nobles' Guild move forward if elected. Time got away from me yesterday.

I am most concerned with age independence. Ages should be free to make decisions for themselves, and those decisions should not be decided by the leader of the Nobles' Guild, the Nobles' Guild itself, nor any other guilds. This should be done through their own governments, be it the Mothers of Whiterock, the Senate of Channelwood, or others. Let your feelings for how the governments of the ages are run be set aside - this election is not for deciding how they are run. It is an election to decide the proper course of action for the nebulous Nobles’ Guild.

I would push to see our Guild exist as a non-binding mediation body, offering either advice on what they would consider a proper course of action, or suggestions when a problem is known but potential considerations are not. This could be used by other guilds that have uncertainties regarding diplomacy of incoming contracts or by ages that are struggling to decide on a proper order of actions to help their people. Were the Nobles' Guild to move in this direction, I would expect to see the Nobles act as an intermediary party with regard to guild contracts. You might see the Nobles' Guild contract the Cartographers on behalf of Channelwood, or contract the Traders on behalf of Tay. Were the Nobles to come to the aid of either another guild or another age, the result of any hearing or advice would naturally be non-binding and used for guidance and organization only.

It is imperative that the Nobles remain impartial with regard to the advice or course of action recommended. With that in mind, in the case of an age-related dispute in which the Nobles were contracted, as leader, I would request that Nobles of that age recuse themselves from that mediation - in such a case, they would have been free to be working on behalf of their ages, as of course my main goal would be the independence of an age and of all its people. In the case of a dispute that involves the Nobles' Guild itself, we need a leader who can remain impartial - coincidentally, as Speaker Len sought to disparage my qualifications based on my gender, for whatever reason, they inadvertently made it clear that I have plenty of experience keeping my own mind separate from that of the Shirnao. I would be perfectly capable of doing the same with the Nobles.

Of course, this is all well and good as spoken. But as you may have been thinking this whole time, this cannot happen with the current state of Chochtic occupation.

The one thing in common that has been brought to the ages along with the Chochtic is entropy and division. The Chochtic task the guilds with decision-making over ages, which will only sow mistrust and hatred. The Chochtic task the guilds to fight against rebellions, which will only fuel more fires down the road, but not in their direction. As the Choanieftain continues to hold influence over Everdunes, she is guiding the rest toward war - between ages, between the guilds, within the guilds. Whatever she is after is yet unknown, but it is clear to me that the various tasks that are entrusted upon our guilds are an attempt to gradually sow enmity between us, allowing her to continue pushing her influence without resistance from the rest of us and without a wasteful use of resources.

Some candidates may have thoughts toward a solution of full diplomacy toward our occupiers, but that is naive and short-sighted. Diplomacy is a good thing in general - those of you who have visited Whiterock will have taken notice that it has been our diplomatic skills that have kept us, in my opinion, in the best shape as the Chochtic continue their occupation. But that is not a long-term plan nor a long-lasting peace, particularly as seen by the Chochtic.

I am not calling for rebellion. This is foolish and impossible, as recent events have proven. But we cannot simply submit. What we need is a leader who can establish the guild as an entity that will push the ages to their own independence, and work toward removing Choani from her spot atop the Chochtic people. I believe this is possible and I believe this is the course of action that we need to take.

Hi Xavier! It's your friend Brodsky here. I had some ideas about what you said!

You say to set aside my feelings about how each Age is run, but I don't want to do that! If there's no oversight over the actions of the other guilds or the governments of each Age, what do we do when they step out of line? Abdicating responsibility is the same thing as avoiding it, I think!

Without binding, things fall apart! That's just science. So when you say that we should be a non-binding mediation body, I think that body would fall apart! What's the point of a body that falls apart? I don't think there is one. I got kind of lost in this metaphor, but you might as well just disband the Nobles Guild and skip all the extra steps if that's what you really want. I can't imagine why the Traders would want to take advantage of a diplomatic service with no actual weight behind it. If I want the opinion of a stranger that means nothing to me, I'll ask Kasia. Ha ha, that's a joke!

Speaking of jokes, impartiality! Why shouldn't the Nobles have the vested interest of Sa and it's adjacent Ages at heart, and act accordingly? If the Chochtic are making a mess of things, let's not listen to them! We are a host unto ourselves! If the Nobles want to flex their diplomatic prowess, here's the pefect time to do it!

Xavier, you are so smart. I'm tired just from saying this many words, and you said even more. From one Shirnao to another, I have the utmost respect for you. I would be honored to work with you for a better future, and I think we can do that! So let's be friends and make the Nobles Guild really cool and not sucky!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

50 pounds of bread posted:

*Heavy breathing.*

Damnit. I'm too late.

Artemis, Emi thought I might have the other piece to a puzzle. Do you know what she was talking about?

Larcenist Brodsky

Artemis, as your lawyer I advise you not to answer that question.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Teland posted:

Apparently not. I wasn't with you when you talked to Conrad. I would like someone who witnessed that conversation or someone trustworthy at the guild hall to confirm publicly what has been agreed to.

Hi, Brodsky here! Conrad agreed to the proposal Lain laid out and more supplies will be coming to the Lookout if it's possible and practical.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! Be nice to Lain, we're friends! Why is everyone shouting?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Larcenist Brodsky

Hi! Zanz stabbed me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poque posted:

((oh my loving god snooze))

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bagshotrow posted:

Hey, everyone, stop assaulting my gd guildmates

What did he do that for?

Indroj told him to. Indroj has special access to a hard-to-reach Age that Zanz wants to visit, and Indroj wants something that they think I have.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Zanzian is his own man, it's not my business how he chooses to go about business.

Oh! Did you hire a Zanzian for his charming wit and diplomacy? If you did, you're dumb, but you're not dumb, you're sneaky, so you hired a violent man to do violence.

Zanz never negotiated with me, unless you count offering me a bag of useless money and telling me if I didn't take it he would stab me as negotiating. I don't, but maybe I should talk to Conrad about that one, I'm pretty new at this. I did ask Zanz if we could all work together, but I think stabbing is firmly outside the spirit of mutual cooperation.

Your guild sucks and you suck and I'll destroy what you want before I give it you.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Brodsky. I am sorry if Zanzian was rough with you, when I asked him to get the map from you I did not think you would stand in the way of breaking your own chains.

I did not mean for you to be assaulted. I apologize.

Your apology sucks! Boo! 'Stand in the way of breaking my own chains?' I'll break a chain! Over your freakin' head!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Brodsky stole something

I was hired to get it

I’m a non violent type, so I worked out a deal to buy it

I handed over the items I was asked for, in return I got what I was looking for

But lo, when I checked my pocket it was empty! Somebody committed larceny!

I found Brodsky again and asked him if he knew what was up. He said he didn’t. We concluded our friendly knife fight and I once again asked him about the map and this time he revealed he had it still, due to slight ludonarrative dissonance I could not take it back.

Hi! Brodsky here. You stabbed me earlier, remember? Slight correction: I didn't steal anything! I won what I won fair and square. I am an honest Larcenist, I tell the truth about what I take. Did I take back what was mine from you though? Absolutely. It's super interesting to force me to give up something against my will and then say I'm the bad guy when I take it back!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bagshotrow posted:

If you can safely tell me where you are I'll come patch you up. Then we can go and destroy whatever you want, kiddo

I'll try to find you, but obviously there are other people here I don't want to announce my location to, due to my aversion to knives inside my body.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

If you wish to challenge me, I accept.

Oh my gosh, what is with you guys and fighting! I didn't come here to do a big fight all the time! I came here to make friends and have fun and do a good adventure! And you and Zanz are, frankly, ruining it. What kind of lunatic wants to go around breaking skulls? That's insane! How could that possibly be fun! Getting hit hurts!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

If it makes you feel better Brodsky, there's a more honorable and less painful way of doing this. If you're willing to indulge Indroj in this. We can duel in the traditional manner. Establish terms for victory and defeat for both sides and the challenge. Both sides, you and Indroj must agree to the terms. I could volunteer to make the challenge for both sides if you prefer.

No, that's insane. I'll flip a coin for it though!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If you guys are going to do that can I at least get my bag of money back?

I would be happy to except it's so worthless it doesn't even seem to exist.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Are you interested in treasure by chance?

If I'm being honest right now I'm mostly interested in making you mad.

Oh cool Zanz yeah I'll meet you at Muscle Row, we can get popsicles. It'll be really fun and also you stabbed me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

stabbing is a bit of a harsh description, I just nicked him a bit

I've got this guy over here talking semantics about the degree to which his knife was inside my body and then the peanut gallery saying 'Oh you know what be cool? Brodsky getting beat up more.' Actually I think getting beat up sucks! There, I've said it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I refuse a duel, but here are some other things that I think might be fun to decide the terms of a conflict between Indroj and myself:

1. Coloring Contest
2. Coin Flip
c) Foot Race
4. Karaoke Contest
5. Seeing Who Can Hold Their Breath Longer
6. The Law

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Really not sure why i extended this process for so long by not just taking this thing already

Stealing is illegal.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

once again i was just doing a bit with licking the knife before the fight, but i forgot to put it away before we started swinging

Hi! Brodsky again. Do you know how weird it is that you accidentally stabbed me? That's honestly scarier than being stabbed on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

My idea is to issue a challenge for both Indroj and Brodsky on the thread. It will be a challenge of my choice to ensure fairness and lack of bias. For example my challenge to them would be to solve a large maze. They could work on this at any time, but the first person to turn in the solved maze would win and is entitled to compensation from the defeated. Say, if Indroj won he could request he give the desired object over to Indroj or a trusted friend who would deliver it to Indroj. If Brodsky won, he has the right to issue a demand that Indroj must answer. Honor would demand that.

I'm game, everyone says I'm amazing.