Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I'm here. I'm ready. I'm scared.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Caroline posted:

hello again friends!! it is so excited to be game again. did you know that i am very good at the game? i am the best.

👄

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
mafia bad

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
two things can be bad.

such as mafia, and chell

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol kashunowned

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Toaly Totes?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Aw yiss confirmed

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

sniper4625 posted:

BTW if anyone would like an intro image like the above for funsies just let me know what you'd like your descriptor to be

I'd love that. "Seeking Ascension" please!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:neckbeard:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Scholar Xavier

Komp-Nikints of Clan Ivo, are you on this frequency?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hello, Vermilion. It is Scholar Xavier. I am here at Muscle Row with Larcenist Brodsky.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just how many people need messages processed?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Scholar Xavier

The Row is lively, friend Vermilion. Though I catch your meaning, I am unfortunately already headed in a different direction tomorrow. Seeker Kasia is here but I believe she also has other plans. Perhaps Sena or Eg could be of assistance?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Vermilion Jarlis, why do you believe that Brodsky is responsible for your missing item?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tavish, Kerath. What happened?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I am the only one on this communicator frequency at the Science Institute today. Naela was here with me earlier, but left shortly after I arrived.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ms. Naela left the area entirely and went toward the Leisure Quarter.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Chic Trombone posted:

Seeker Kasia

Scholar Xavier, may I ask where you're planning to be tomorrow? I've delivered your letter to Elizabeth, and Whiterock is publicly available to link to.

I would like to travel to the Science Institute to speak with Indroj - is it possible you could meet me there?

Seeker Kasia, I will be headed to Whiterock tomorrow. I will not be able to meet with you at the Institute.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Scholar Xavier. Is there hope?

... Only if we make it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Scholar Xavier

Eg declared a HEARING. Those of you objecting to a trial betray your own thoughts on the matter.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yes, our own thoughts of not really knowing the difference.
Thank you for telling us how we are really thinking based off of not knowing terminology.

A hearing implies a public gathering in pursuit of knowledge. A trial implies the same, but coming from a body with the authority to enact punishment if deemed appropriate. As far as I am aware, we do not have such authority.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Chic Trombone posted:

Seeker Kasia

Apologies for the late chiming in with regards to the Gehn issue - I believe some further investigating needs to occur, though I'm not sure we truly have enough to call it a formal "trial" so much as an interrogation, at the moment. A tribunal at most, I think.

Meanwhile - Scholar Xavier, I'd like to speak with you at your earliest convenience - when will you be available, and where?

Scholar Xavier

Seeker Kasia, I am with Indroj now. I will come with him to meet you.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Scholar Xavier

Brodsky, where are you?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Given my position right now, I cannot speak openly about a platform that I would follow were I elected as leader of the Nobles' Guild. I can elaborate on that tomorrow when I am able to speak more freely. Please consider my name on the ballot - if we have not had the chance to meet yet, please speak with anybody who has. I hope they will speak highly.

Indroj, I will come to the Cartographers' Guild to speak with you tomorrow as requested. I hope you are well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Scholar Xavier

Thank you for your patience. I was with Seeker Kasia earlier in the landfall of Everdunes and did not feel comfortable speaking about the election there, based mostly on how I would see the Nobles' Guild move forward if elected. Time got away from me yesterday.

I am most concerned with age independence. Ages should be free to make decisions for themselves, and those decisions should not be decided by the leader of the Nobles' Guild, the Nobles' Guild itself, nor any other guilds. This should be done through their own governments, be it the Mothers of Whiterock, the Senate of Channelwood, or others. Let your feelings for how the governments of the ages are run be set aside - this election is not for deciding how they are run. It is an election to decide the proper course of action for the nebulous Nobles’ Guild.

I would push to see our Guild exist as a non-binding mediation body, offering either advice on what they would consider a proper course of action, or suggestions when a problem is known but potential considerations are not. This could be used by other guilds that have uncertainties regarding diplomacy of incoming contracts or by ages that are struggling to decide on a proper order of actions to help their people. Were the Nobles' Guild to move in this direction, I would expect to see the Nobles act as an intermediary party with regard to guild contracts. You might see the Nobles' Guild contract the Cartographers on behalf of Channelwood, or contract the Traders on behalf of Tay. Were the Nobles to come to the aid of either another guild or another age, the result of any hearing or advice would naturally be non-binding and used for guidance and organization only.

It is imperative that the Nobles remain impartial with regard to the advice or course of action recommended. With that in mind, in the case of an age-related dispute in which the Nobles were contracted, as leader, I would request that Nobles of that age recuse themselves from that mediation - in such a case, they would have been free to be working on behalf of their ages, as of course my main goal would be the independence of an age and of all its people. In the case of a dispute that involves the Nobles' Guild itself, we need a leader who can remain impartial - coincidentally, as Speaker Len sought to disparage my qualifications based on my gender, for whatever reason, they inadvertently made it clear that I have plenty of experience keeping my own mind separate from that of the Shirnao. I would be perfectly capable of doing the same with the Nobles.

Of course, this is all well and good as spoken. But as you may have been thinking this whole time, this cannot happen with the current state of Chochtic occupation.

The one thing in common that has been brought to the ages along with the Chochtic is entropy and division. The Chochtic task the guilds with decision-making over ages, which will only sow mistrust and hatred. The Chochtic task the guilds to fight against rebellions, which will only fuel more fires down the road, but not in their direction. As the Choanieftain continues to hold influence over Everdunes, she is guiding the rest toward war - between ages, between the guilds, within the guilds. Whatever she is after is yet unknown, but it is clear to me that the various tasks that are entrusted upon our guilds are an attempt to gradually sow enmity between us, allowing her to continue pushing her influence without resistance from the rest of us and without a wasteful use of resources.

Some candidates may have thoughts toward a solution of full diplomacy toward our occupiers, but that is naive and short-sighted. Diplomacy is a good thing in general - those of you who have visited Whiterock will have taken notice that it has been our diplomatic skills that have kept us, in my opinion, in the best shape as the Chochtic continue their occupation. But that is not a long-term plan nor a long-lasting peace, particularly as seen by the Chochtic.

I am not calling for rebellion. This is foolish and impossible, as recent events have proven. But we cannot simply submit. What we need is a leader who can establish the guild as an entity that will push the ages to their own independence, and work toward removing Choani from her spot atop the Chochtic people. I believe this is possible and I believe this is the course of action that we need to take.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I couldn't compete.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bagshotrow posted:

Xavier: Well said. I think you have probably the most reasonable platform, and the most unsullied character, of anyone so far (besides Brodsky, who is a delight.) that said, I think some of these positions are a bit naive, and they do not address the plight of the varbani people - that is, sovereignty is no good to us without an age to rule.

I would say that the absence of a single varbani on the nobles guild, or eligible for this election, is a pretty big problem in itself, and makes me wonder what incentive we have to participate in this process. What do you say to us?

Thank you, Andra. Your comment on my naivety is not ill-taken; I am a newcomer myself and my studies since linking to Sa just one month ago, while helpful, are incomplete.

My vision of the Nobles' Guild is one without binding power, but lack of a steady age at present would not preclude the Varbani people from making requests. Location of passage back to Riven and securing the age for its people would, in my mind, absolutely would be a request that the Nobles' Guild could and would help organize and facilitate through cooperation of the other guilds.

As Vermilion mentioned, it was discussed following the most recent guild meeting that there were no Varbani within our ranks. Representation is important - were I elected leader, we would need to establish a process for new members to join, most importantly those from ages with none currently in our ranks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
So long as the representative's current guild were to give their blessing to lose a member, absolutely.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Somberbrero posted:

Hi Xavier! It's your friend Brodsky here. I had some ideas about what you said!

You say to set aside my feelings about how each Age is run, but I don't want to do that! If there's no oversight over the actions of the other guilds or the governments of each Age, what do we do when they step out of line? Abdicating responsibility is the same thing as avoiding it, I think!

Without binding, things fall apart! That's just science. So when you say that we should be a non-binding mediation body, I think that body would fall apart! What's the point of a body that falls apart? I don't think there is one. I got kind of lost in this metaphor, but you might as well just disband the Nobles Guild and skip all the extra steps if that's what you really want. I can't imagine why the Traders would want to take advantage of a diplomatic service with no actual weight behind it. If I want the opinion of a stranger that means nothing to me, I'll ask Kasia. Ha ha, that's a joke!

Speaking of jokes, impartiality! Why shouldn't the Nobles have the vested interest of Sa and it's adjacent Ages at heart, and act accordingly? If the Chochtic are making a mess of things, let's not listen to them! We are a host unto ourselves! If the Nobles want to flex their diplomatic prowess, here's the pefect time to do it!

Xavier, you are so smart. I'm tired just from saying this many words, and you said even more. From one Shirnao to another, I have the utmost respect for you. I would be honored to work with you for a better future, and I think we can do that! So let's be friends and make the Nobles Guild really cool and not sucky!

Hi Brodsky. I hope you are doing well.

When I say to set aside your feelings about how each Age is run, I simply mean with regard to this election. If you are looking to vote based on the Nobles' Guild having oversight over other Ages, you are better inclined to vote for a different candidate. In this case, I don't believe there is responsibility TO abdicate.

Your second point is similar, just with Guilds instead of Ages. I believe that there is value to a Noble's Guild based around mediation but I do not believe it is wise to have a single guild with authority over the others. Were I elected leader, I would move to establish the Nobles' Guild in this way - but my role would not simply stop once that work were complete. Following that, I would work with the leaders of the other guilds to ensure cooperation between them all, and it is that cooperation that would provide the "weight" that you seek.

With regard to the Chochtic, I do not believe it is the "Chochtic" - conceptually - who pose the actual threat. I believe it is their leader, Choani. It is dangerous to conflate the two. I seek diplomatic solutions to her role in this. Certainly many of the Chochtic follow her guidance now, but I KNOW that not all of the people regard her specific path as the one they want to follow. Much as we are being occupied, so has Choani taken her own people into a path of occupation.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Y_G posted:

Gascoigne Brendt
I fervently believe that our purpose here, as with all conscious entities, is to aspire to become something greater than we are, and to help others to do so. In doing this we shall collectively ascend hand-in-hand towards ever and more beautiful heights, in accordance with the Four Creative Tenets, and towards the ultimate goal - the perfect, illuminated, shining orb of creation itself! And that is what those in positions of power should continually strive to do - to work for the betterment of the people, not just in their material conditions but in their very souls, their minds! Education to expand the mind! Public works and health infrastructure to allow people to spend as much time devoted to art! Charitable endeavours to lift those at the bottom of society out of poverty and into a new and better life! An architectural revolution to inspire us all every single waking moment of our days!

I would like to speak with you. Where will you be tomorrow?

chaoslord posted:

Aosa of Clan Anca

If you could have you pick, who would you appoint?

I am not looking to specifically appoint anybody. I envision this as a process of people submitting themselves for membership, not that they would be conscripted. I have not yet met all of the Varbani on this channel and I don't know who would be interested in making themselves available for membership - it is important to me that the existing guilds have their own say in membership changes, and were a potential member unable to convince their guild of such a change, then that would serve as indication of a lack of diplomatic talent that would speak better to their qualifications - in this case, the lack thereof - then anything else.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
((oh my loving god snooze))

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

A Message to the Shirnao on the thread:

I plan to head for Whiterock to ask about the Orb. I had lost a sister in the name of an Orb, and if there isn't any grain of truth to her faith, then I can at least try to properly mourn her loss.

I do not intend to make Pitzae's mistakes. I seek only to ask what leadership is present on Whiterock about something that has opened a bad memory.

Scholar Xavier

Hello, friend Komp-Nikints. If you have other leads, I suggest you follow those first. I recently spoke to Mother Rega about Orbs and she had not a clue what I meant.

I pray for your closure but I do not think you will find it on Whiterock.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Avery?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Was anybody at the Fountain last night or today?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yesterday i was

Did you see Avery come in before you departed?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hal Incandenza posted:

This one is at the fountain now

Is Avery there?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

sniper4625 posted:

If it's got a moving picture panel in the back, it's a linking book. If it's dark, it's a broken linking book. Anything more requires knowing what you're looking at.

If the picture is moving, can it still be a trap?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Indroj, the book you dropped. Had you used it before?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

50 pounds of bread posted:

I had not used the book in the cartographers guild. But I used an identical book that I had found in the same place.

Do you know where it originated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

What does that mean for that book?