Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
There's too much drat negativity and irony and sarcasm and bullshit on the internet. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of the compassionate, human, kind, hopeful things in life. Have you ever had something happen that made you tear up from joy, gratitude or just plain relief? Here's one of mine.

There's this march every summer in the Dutch town of Nijmegen where some 40.000 people gather to walk 40 km every day for 4 days. It's pretty big in military circles, and military teams from all over the world gather here every year to do this march. There's even an official medal for participating and everything. I went down there in 2008 as part of the Swedish National Guard contingent. The military teams stay in a camp on the outskirts of Nijmegen. You get up at 04:00 in the morning, force down the chocolate covered sponge cake and watered-down coffee that passes for breakfast in the Netherlands, and then you have 10 hours to complete the day's 40 km. Military participants have to carry at least a 10 kg pack at all times, not including water or whatever clothes you're wearing. When I did the march, one swedish oldtimer just carried a 10 kg building block strapped to his back. There's rest stops every 10 km, and the streets are lined with kids handing out candy or fruit in return for stickers or badges. The absolute best were the kids handing out salted cucumber slices, narrowly defeating the guys handing out trays of free beer. When you've been going on sugar, fructose and painkillers for the last 8 hours, the last thing you want is more candy.

Anyway, by day 3 I'm a complete wreck. I'm wearing double socks in my boots (thinking this would help prevent blisters), and as a consequence my feet are covered in huge blisters. I'm limping along. It's raining. The day's route is nothing but hills. Everything sucks, and I would have called it quits and given up if it wasn't for the fact that I would still have had to walk back to camp.
I also happen to have a large Swedish naval flag strapped to my backpack.

As I'm marching along, in the pouring rain, staring dead-eyed in front of me, this old dutch guy comes up alongside me.
"Are you from Sweden?" he asks. I grunt in response, as if the flag wasn't a clue.
"I just want to say thank you" he says.
That makes me pretty confused. What has Sweden ever done for anyone?
Well, he goes on to explain to me how he was a young child in Amsterdam back in 1944-45, when the city was blockaded by German forces trying to stop the allies. After a winter of starvation and misery, a number of Swedish ships finally broke the blockade and delivered aid to the city. The first bread he ate in six months, he said, was baked with Swedish flour. And for that, he wanted to thank me.
I'm tired and I'm hurting. I just can't help myself. I start crying like a baby, and it doesn't stop until I walk across the finish line a couple of hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Liz Lemon meeting her two adopted kids on the penultimate episode of 30 Rock made me a little misty.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Katy Perrys rear end.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007
The ending of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. I should hate it for being a bastardization of a great work of literature, but the ending gets me every drat time.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One time I went to KFC and they were out of chicken

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The matt damon movie "we bought a zoo" always gets me. It's stupid because it's supposed to be an uplifting movie but it just depresses the poo poo out of me.

also the movie Bolt.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
The dumbest thing I probably ever got sad about was last night when I was up late and watched this god drat doge bullshit on twitter
https://twitter.com/SNIPEorDIE360/status/1090665355733807106

I am probably the sappiest motherfucker ever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Elaine's storyline in Soap. It was one of the times that show did soap operas better than actual soaps.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
The president's speech from B5 in the beginning gets my every time.
https://youtu.be/NzJaQtZty5M

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
When Harry Potter's cousin got thrown off a bridge by Liam Neeson. Kinda bummed me out for a day.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Yellowcard songs.

edit. Yellowcard is stupid poo poo.

I was tearing up at a tweet about the man who said "Hello Brother" to the Christchurch shooter before being murdered.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Anything having to do with people being reconnected with their pets. Like that scene from that goofy rear end movie What Dreams May Come where Robin Williams dies and goes to heaven and his old dog is there.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Every stupid piece of fiction which begins with someone being a little kid and much later they, as an adult, end up having to carry their now much older mom/dad out of some kind of a bad situation and they casually comment "mom/dad, when did you become so light? :confused:"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The end of Rudy is like scientifically engineered to make grown men cry. I don't even watch football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI63g64kDgY

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The series finale of Parks and Recreation had me ugly crying when it aired. Granted I was already emotional due to scheduled major surgery the next day, but last time I cried like that was when my childhood dog died...

As for something real dumb that makes me tear up, perhaps the most emotional and powerful death scene in the manga One Piece was when their first pirate ship "dies". Basically the ship develops a soul due to the love from the crew and is damaged beyond repair but shows up out of nowhere to rescue everyone from a sure death situation before sinking into the sea. Typing it out makes it sound super ridiculous but it gets me every single time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone said Hootie and the Blowfish yet?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Paranorman and Coco's endings both get me every time.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The bit in Jumanji when it goes back in time and the kid tells to truth to his dad about the shoe and I'm tearing up thinking about the dialogue gently caress

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
The end of What Remains of Edith Finch got me good, even the narrator starts to choke up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don’t cry much. I didn’t cry when my grandma died. I didn’t cry when my first pet died. But I feel a tear well up everytime I watch this stupid melodramatic video about goddamn Yoshi. Of course, you might too once you get to the end and see that it’s not really about Yoshi. :qq:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This garfield video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efW7buQYQMg

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What up fellow Nijmegen marcher. I did it a couple times as an Air Cadet, and we used to get some really nice comments from people. Was a great thing to do.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

drat you! Now it's time for me to cry, too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh yeah that’ll do it.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
The beginning portion of that new stupid movie Wonder Park.
Took my 5 y/o kid to see it and holy poo poo..dark

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

What up fellow Nijmegen marcher. I did it a couple times as an Air Cadet, and we used to get some really nice comments from people. Was a great thing to do.

What up! Only done it once. The year I went there was an american contingent along. They'd always march in formation, but there was this big black dude who couldn't keep up. He'd fall further and further behind until he was marching all by himself. By day 2 spectators would recognize the lone black american and try to cheer him up, so he'd get handed flags and stuff along the way that he'd hang from his backpack. Every day when he crossed the finish line people would cheer and bring him free beer. It was nice. Dunno if he managed the entire march though, never saw him the last day.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The ending to Metal Gear Solid 3. Like yeah it's a big dumb anime video game focusing on butts but everything about the Boss' reveal and the subsequent action you personally have to do always causes me to tear up out of nowhere

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This girl walked by today and dat rear end was so fine I teared up it was so beautiful

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The end of the movie Selena gets me every time.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The part where Abe proposes to Mary Todd in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't know if I necessarily tore up, but I was definitely more emotional than I thought I'd be about the Dethkids episode of Metalocalypse.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know if I necessarily tore up, but I was definitely more emotional than I thought I'd be about the Dethkids episode of Metalocalypse.

That poo poo got me too

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There was some old commercial for a rescue dog foundation that started with a black screen and a muffled barking sound, and then there was some light, and louder clearer barking, until you realized it was a POV from someone buried alive and then a voice says "He's over here!!" and they remove a piece of rubble and you see a golden retriever barking down the hole and his handler gives him a GoodBoy Pat on the head

For some reason it really got me

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Probably the album Matapedia by the McGarrigle sisters. It's a rather somber album to start with, but my parents played it in the house a lot when I was about seven years old. Hearing it now connects me to a pretty distant part of my life in a way that my unassisted memories can't.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

https://youtu.be/ZMclqWLPsM8

This weird disjointed song always manages to tear me wide open, everytime

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
This song gets me every single time. It's utterly mind boggling to me how he conjures up the imagery he does in just over one minute of actual lyrics. (The first comment has the lyrics if you're interested)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPbZJ1h-yg

Also, any time a pro wrestler dies and they do the ten bell salute with all the wrestlers lined up on the stage. Im a sucker for that kind of pageantry I guess.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I sometimes think of my late granddad and get tears in my eyes. I had 3 grandparents die before and all of them were sad affairs, but this is a dude who I used to call every other week and listen to his ww2 stories and what his youth was like before, during and after hitler. The older he got the more he repeated himself and at the end he was pretty tired of life, but he always had a fun side to him and a clear head until right near the end. I was supposed to visit him one weekend when he was close to the end, as he had pretty much decided himself that he was gonna die now. I didn't go because my mom was overwhelmed with her brother and my cousins plus children coming that weekend, and it didn't seem like he was gonna die any time soon. I went there the next day and he died the night I arrived, so I only saw his dead body the day after without saying goodbye.

He was an amazing dude who lived through fighting on the eastern front, built up a good life for himself after the war and was just a great guy all around. Best grandfather I could have wished for. I'm getting teary just writing this.

I just re-read the thread title and its not stupid at all, but it felt good to get it off my chest. Call your grandparents and tell them you love them, all you people who still have any.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I used to be pretty indifferent to people suffering in media because, c'mon, it's just pretend! But things change when you get kids.

I watch this guy Campster on youtube sometimes, he does pretty decent reviews of indy games and stuff. Two years ago I was sitting at home, my infant son finally asleep, and I was watching a review of a weird indy game called That Dragon, Cancer. It's a video game about a dad coping with his infant son suffering from cancer. Weird loving premise for a game. I haven't even played it, I've only ever seen (part of) that review. Anyway, there's a scene in the game that's shown in the review, where the protagonist walks round and round inside a darkened hospital room, carrying his son and trying to calm him down. The baby won't sleep, won't eat, won't accept any toys, he's just in pain from the cancer and cries and cries.
I had to shut the video off at that point. I was just a sniveling, bleary-eyed mess. I'd been carrying my own son around just twenty minutes earlier, trying to make him sleep, and that poo poo just triggered some parental angst in me.

I can't stand to see young kids hurt anymore, even if it's just in fiction. I barely got through the first ten minutes of the new IT movie.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLoBWpiOczQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/jennlacatena/status/1114167665881382917