Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Zoe posted:

Thanks for working out what's good for us to like, what would us simple creatures do without someone like you looking out for what's best for us. :allears:
it isn't difficult to work out the demographic composition of different genres of comic book readers and to infer the generalizable interests of those different readers. it also isn't difficult to understand the big superhero movie boom of the last 20 yrs as being templated upon and preponderantly fuelled by the interests of young male fans.

marvel is playing around with all kinds of ideas to make these movies more accessible lately -- not very creatively. the spielberg family movie from ~20 years ago was a more balanced and capacious genre of popular movie making i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

it isn't difficult to work out the demographic composition of different genres of comic book readers and to infer the generalizable interests of those different readers. it also isn't difficult to understand the big superhero movie boom of the last 20 yrs as being templated upon and preponderantly fuelled by the interests of young male fans.

marvel is playing around with all kinds of ideas to make these movies more accessible lately -- not very creatively. the spielberg family movie from ~20 years ago was a more balanced and capacious genre of popular movie making i think.

marvel has always been trying to get the minority buy. of course it has always been for money. They had Black Panther and Luke Cage for the black market, and Spiderwoman and Ms Marvel since the 1970s.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zane posted:

Just because it has always been that way in the male-dominated comic book industry and superhero fandom doesn't mean it has to be that way. The demographics are night and day between the first X-Men movie almost two decades ago and today in 2019 where women, black people, Latinos, and other "minority groups" are massively into this stuff as opposed to just appealing straight white male power fantasies from the laziest angle.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there are all sorts of warps and wefts to the narrative i've proposed. i would argue for example that x-men and x-men 2 are a lot more than male power fantasies (the political allegorism, the ensemble caste, the interpersonal drama, the quality of the actors). there are in fact very few superhero movies to have subsequently equaled the breadth and sophistication of their drama.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 18, 2019

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Discussing female superheroes and comics for a female audience without mentioning Squirrel Girl. Shameful.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Ladies deserve better than the Squirrel Girl comic art.

GodDAMN.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

GodDAMN.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GodDAMN.

I like that the art is the way it is because it gives me hope that maybe I could make a comic someday.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zane posted:

there are all sorts of warps and wefts to the narrative i've proposed. i would argue for example that x-men and x-men 2 are a lot more than male power fantasies (the political allegorism, the ensemble caste, the interpersonal drama, the quality of the actors). there are in fact very few superhero movies to have subsequently equaled the breadth and sophistication of their drama.

Lol. This is a joke, right? The first 2 X-Men movies are poorly made, almost amateur trash compared to anything Marvel has made, especially their top tier work like the first Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and Thor Ragnarok.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. This is a joke, right? The first 2 X-Men movies are poorly made, almost amateur trash compared to anything Marvel has made, especially their top tier work like the first Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and Thor Ragnarok.
you;re trash

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ok cough drop, you had us going a while but now you made it too obvious

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll watch it the way I watch every other Marvel or Star Wars movie: when it hits Netflix

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

esperterra posted:

I'll watch it the way I watch every other Marvel or Star Wars movie: when it hits Netflix

:same:

I haven't seen a Marvel movie in theaters since Winter Soldier and I have no intention of doing so again because it isn't really worth my time when I can wait 4 months for the same experience on Blu-ray/streaming.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Woden posted:

A Black Widow solo film is about as appealing as a Hawkeye one.

You say that, but I'd watch the gently caress out of a Kate Bishop/Clint Barton Hawkeye movie if it was anywhere close to the comic book.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nobody reads comics any more. It's a tiny, shrinking market.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Excuse me I read comics all the time and I'm neither tiny nor shrinking!

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GodDAMN.

gently caress man don't remind me. That poo poo was so hideous and one of the first big signals that Marvel's hiring processes had very little to do with quality anymore. I know everyone can point to lovely things in their past line-ups and go "Well what about-". But no, that new Squirrel Girl was the ugliest god drat thing I'd ever seen. I was surprised someone managed to create something even more underwhelming and generic than Cal Arts style.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Nobody reads comics any more. It's a tiny, shrinking market.

some times I read the covers when I go to the comic store to buy more board games

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twelve Batmans posted:

gently caress man don't remind me. That poo poo was so hideous and one of the first big signals that Marvel's hiring processes had very little to do with quality anymore. I know everyone can point to lovely things in their past line-ups and go "Well what about-". But no, that new Squirrel Girl was the ugliest god drat thing I'd ever seen. I was surprised someone managed to create something even more underwhelming and generic than Cal Arts style.

Well *I* like it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Twelve Batmans posted:

I think the funnest thing about the Squirrel Girl art was comparing the Japennese cover to what was actually in the comic. Man image buying that TPB after only seeing the cover.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Applewhite posted:

Well *I* like it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

No it's bad.

Anyhow, never read comics and never watch comic book movies. I am going to include Star Wars as a comic book movie (Except for classic masterpiece Jupiter Ascending from the Star Wars universe)

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 18, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Still better drawn than watchmen :shrug:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Here is an example of a much better Marvel comic.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yup. Just look at that last frame. The leg in the foreground is at one angle, while her gunt is twisted in the opposite direction of her upper torso with her face looking up. It supposed to give the feeling of moving forward with determination but instead it just looks like every body-part she has is embarrassed to be attached to her and trying to escape in all directions at once.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uhh dum dim you are supposed to just read the text not look at pictures.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm not going to analyze it but I've seen many cuter cuter squirrel girls and that art is just butt ugly at the end of the day.

Applewhite my man, your crystalface tittygirls comic was already better than that.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're nuts. I can't imagine a more perfect art style for a comic named "Squirrel Girl".

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I'm not going to analyze it but I've seen many cuter cuter squirrel girls and that art is just butt ugly at the end of the day.

Applewhite my man, your crystalface tittygirls comic was already better than that.

That's why I like the Squirrel Girl comics because if they can make it into print then I'm already good enough for the industry.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Plus, not *every* panel is bad...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Plus, not *every* panel is bad...

Can't even draw butts. Someone post that instructional video on how to draw butts, thanks in advanks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
step one: google image search 'butt'
step two: paste into photoshop
step three: in a new layer, trace the butt

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who is more powerful Squirrel Girl or Deadpool?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

Trick question they would never fight.

But it's Squirrel Girl

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Squirrel Girl can only be defeated by a bored retired man with a pellet gun.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
From what I understand it goes:

Thanos gets cucked by Death.
Deadpool bangs Death like all the time.
Thanos weeps and kills half the universe to impress Death.
Squirrel Girl defeats Thanos.
Deadpool and Death don't notice any of it because they are busy boning again.
Computer generated Stan Lee cameo.
Roll credits.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The only correct way to make a Squirrel Girl movie is using the animation style they used for Into The Spiderverse.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Still better drawn than watchmen :shrug:

what on earth

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Squirrel Girl has like the coolest, most unique art in a Marvel comic ever. Like, what do you expect from a comic book called Squirrel Girl? The art style designed to be incredibly weird, ultra cartoony, ridiculous, and bizarre, just like the comic's comedic, over-the-top content. The reader is supposed to be reading it and feel like they're hanging out with this strange kind of superhero lady who has the powers of a squirrel and can command a squirrel army to take down Doctor Doom and other strange stuff. It's called Squirrel Girl! What do y'all expect?!!

Also Erica Henderson, the original artist behind Squirrel Girl, has won 2 Eisner Awards, one of which is for Squirrel Girl, so uh, it's dumb as heck to say it's bad solely because it's different when it's arguably very cool and good and hilariously fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Squirrel Girl has like the coolest, most unique art in a Marvel comic ever. Like, what do you expect from a comic book called Squirrel Girl? The art style designed to be incredibly weird, ultra cartoony, ridiculous, and bizarre, just like the comic's comedic, over-the-top content. The reader is supposed to be reading it and feel like they're hanging out with this strange kind of superhero lady who has the powers of a squirrel and can command a squirrel army to take down Doctor Doom and other strange stuff. It's called Squirrel Girl! What do y'all expect?!!

Also Erica Henderson, the original artist behind Squirrel Girl, has won 2 Eisner Awards, one of which is for Squirrel Girl, so uh, it's dumb as heck to say it's bad solely because it's different when it's arguably very cool and good and hilariously fun.

Source your quotes.