Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Squirrel Girl has like the coolest, most unique art in a Marvel comic ever. Like, what do you expect from a comic book called Squirrel Girl? The art style designed to be incredibly weird, ultra cartoony, ridiculous, and bizarre, just like the comic's comedic, over-the-top content. The reader is supposed to be reading it and feel like they're hanging out with this strange kind of superhero lady who has the powers of a squirrel and can command a squirrel army to take down Doctor Doom and other strange stuff. It's called Squirrel Girl! What do y'all expect?!!

Also Erica Henderson, the original artist behind Squirrel Girl, has won 2 Eisner Awards, one of which is for Squirrel Girl, so uh, it's dumb as heck to say it's bad solely because it's different when it's arguably very cool and good and hilariously fun.

No it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's QUIRKY but charming in its own way.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'd rather watch Captain Marvel than that poo poo!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Of the many ways in which it is bad, I think the worst is that upper lip curled sneer all the characters have and use as their primary expression. If it was just squirrel girl I might excuse it as having something to do with her teeth, but all the characters do it, in addition to being blandly ugly.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Squirrel Girl has like the coolest, most unique art in a Marvel comic ever. Like, what do you expect from a comic book called Squirrel Girl? The art style designed to be incredibly weird, ultra cartoony, ridiculous, and bizarre, just like the comic's comedic, over-the-top content. The reader is supposed to be reading it and feel like they're hanging out with this strange kind of superhero lady who has the powers of a squirrel and can command a squirrel army to take down Doctor Doom and other strange stuff. It's called Squirrel Girl! What do y'all expect?!!

Also Erica Henderson, the original artist behind Squirrel Girl, has won 2 Eisner Awards, one of which is for Squirrel Girl, so uh, it's dumb as heck to say it's bad solely because it's different when it's arguably very cool and good and hilariously fun.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's webcomic tier.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do you think she fucks the squirrels

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

It's QUIRKY but charming in its own way.

Exactly. The art is very weird and quirky as gently caress, but it's fun and works so well with Squirrel Girl's style in the comic.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Exactly. The art is very weird and quirky as gently caress, but it's fun and works so well with Squirrel Girl's style in the comic.

Squirrel Girl is good but that comic is bad.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

So its been a week or so. Did lady punchlady kill super hero moopies?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zane posted:

there are all sorts of warps and wefts to the narrative i've proposed. i would argue for example that x-men and x-men 2 are a lot more than male power fantasies (the political allegorism, the ensemble caste, the interpersonal drama, the quality of the actors). there are in fact very few superhero movies to have subsequently equaled the breadth and sophistication of their drama.

Ay yo CineD is thattaway lol

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
There is a different artist on Squirrel Girl now for you fucks who demand everything look vaguely like Jim Lee drew it. (Its still not in that early 90s style though. For which I am glad.)

I had zero issue with Henderson's art. Oh no everyone isn't hot looking. She drew a T Rex Ultron that is the best goddamn thing ever. Or at least it was till JEFF THE LANDSHARK in West Coast Avengers. But Squirrel Girl is a good funny comic that more or less doesn't require me to read multiple stupid rear end irrelevant crossover books for this season's newest event that won't matter 3 months odd after it finishes anyhow.

As to the actual topic? I ain't got the time and money to see movies I care about much less dumbass Avengers poo poo. Like for Supers movies in the last decade I have seen uh... Nolan Batmans, the first Iron Man, both Deadpools, the Ed Norton Hulk, and the second Guardians of the Galaxy. (Add the first I saw on blue ray when it was on sale.) I've heard good poo poo about the Spidey cartoon movie and Lego Batman though.)

I dunno I am sure it would enrage 15 year old me but I don't care that much about Superhero poo poo anymore, especially live action forget it in a month movie ones. Telling me ITS WOOOOKE ain't gonna help especially since there have been multiple lady or minority superhero type movies before albeit largely lovely so people pretend they never happened. But if it helps lots of marginalized folks feel better about stuff cool! I have no quarrel with Captain Marvel or Black Panther. It's not like I gotta see them right? I give as many fucks about them as I do Thor or Captain America. (Which is more or less none. I've never cared about any of them. By and large the Avengers in general are characters I don't care about.)

Different people like different bits of mostly irrelevant pop culture consumer crap. It's all good. Even those of you who don't like Squirrel Girl. If it brings you comfort to have bad opinions about stupid poo poo that doesn't matter that's your right.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ay yo CineD is thattaway lol

:eyepop::vince:

Holy poo poo, comfy’s on a roll!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kuato posted:

:eyepop::vince:

Holy poo poo, comfy’s on a roll!

gently caress you you loving idiot! you're lamer than a STOP sign!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

did gamers stop disney yet

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Captain Rufus posted:

There is a different artist on Squirrel Girl now for you fucks who demand everything look vaguely like Jim Lee drew it. (Its still not in that early 90s style though. For which I am glad.)

I had zero issue with Henderson's art. Oh no everyone isn't hot looking. She drew a T Rex Ultron that is the best goddamn thing ever. Or at least it was till JEFF THE LANDSHARK in West Coast Avengers. But Squirrel Girl is a good funny comic that more or less doesn't require me to read multiple stupid rear end irrelevant crossover books for this season's newest event that won't matter 3 months odd after it finishes anyhow.

As to the actual topic? I ain't got the time and money to see movies I care about much less dumbass Avengers poo poo. Like for Supers movies in the last decade I have seen uh... Nolan Batmans, the first Iron Man, both Deadpools, the Ed Norton Hulk, and the second Guardians of the Galaxy. (Add the first I saw on blue ray when it was on sale.) I've heard good poo poo about the Spidey cartoon movie and Lego Batman though.)

I dunno I am sure it would enrage 15 year old me but I don't care that much about Superhero poo poo anymore, especially live action forget it in a month movie ones. Telling me ITS WOOOOKE ain't gonna help especially since there have been multiple lady or minority superhero type movies before albeit largely lovely so people pretend they never happened. But if it helps lots of marginalized folks feel better about stuff cool! I have no quarrel with Captain Marvel or Black Panther. It's not like I gotta see them right? I give as many fucks about them as I do Thor or Captain America. (Which is more or less none. I've never cared about any of them. By and large the Avengers in general are characters I don't care about.)

Different people like different bits of mostly irrelevant pop culture consumer crap. It's all good. Even those of you who don't like Squirrel Girl. If it brings you comfort to have bad opinions about stupid poo poo that doesn't matter that's your right.

Nice meltdown, lol

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Squirrel Girl meltdowns itt

get em while they're nutty

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just saw this stupid trash movie called Captain Marvel. What a waste of money. Only the nachos made the movie barely watchable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just saw this stupid trash movie called Captain Marvel. What a waste of money. Only the nachos made the movie barely watchable.

excuse me this thread is for people that didn't see captain marvel. If you saw it you should make a new thread.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rutibex posted:

excuse me this thread is for people that didn't see captain marvel. If you saw it you should make a new thread.

Actually, the poster did not provide us with sufficient information to determine whether he in fact “intended to go see” Captain Marvel. For all we know, he was held against his will for two hours and forced to watch Brie Larson for two hours like that scene in A Clockwork Orange.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1redflag posted:

Actually, the poster did not provide us with sufficient information to determine whether he in fact “intended to go see” Captain Marvel. For all we know, he was held against his will for two hours and forced to watch Brie Larson for two hours like that scene in A Clockwork Orange.

He could have been tricked by a shadowy cabal of feministas who claimed that he was to see a showing of classic Schwarzenegger film "Commando", only to find Captain Marvel start playing after he had already sat down. As a pragmatic man, he may have chosen to stay at that point, having already paid for his ticket.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
I’m shocked to learn Annette Benning is only 60. I would not have googled her without watching this movie. So, thanks, Captain Marvel!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I went to see the Lego Movie 2 but they were running the ol' 2:00 bait and switch and started to play Captain Marvel.

Someone in the audience yelled out, "Hey, this is that film that empowers women!" and we all started booing and throwing popcorn and demanded our money back.

Crisis narrowly avoided

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kuato posted:

I’m shocked to learn Annette Benning is only 60. I would not have googled her without watching this movie. So, thanks, Captain Marvel!

What do they call you, Captain Shithead? You dumb gently caress!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

What do they call you, Captain Shithead? You dumb gently caress!

I don’t remember posting this! I must’ve forgot to log out at the library!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Why don’t you log my dick into your mouf you fucken dork beep boop I’m the internet cumin in your thrhroat

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Erica Henderson, the original artist behind Squirrel Girl, has won 2 Eisner Awards

It's cruel to encourage her like that.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Salty Josh posted:

The Captain Marvel actress is not funny, attractive, charismatic or interesting.

Yup. The story was good, all the secondary characters were good, (measured in The Super Hero Movie metric) but holy poo poo she was just such a boring lump of Anti-charisma. I mean I liked the movie okay enough, but she worked pretty hard to make me not like it. I know she's a competent actor so I'm blaming the director for not pulling a better performance out of her.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 24, 2019

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Why don’t you log my dick into your mouf you fucken dork beep boop I’m the internet cumin in your thrhroat

:confused:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Oh no everyone isn't hot looking.

If I remember correctly that was a big thing at the time. Anyone who criticized the repulsive art was accused of just wanting to be able to jerk off to it, and its unrelenting ugliness was claimed to be important feminist activism. Of course I might just be misremembering that bit of years old internet drama, since it is hard to imagine a world where people would misappropriate culture war rhetoric to excuse bad or mediocre art *thousand yard stares past any mention of the thread's original topic*.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
People really seem to like this Shazam movie that's coming out so I guess we'll get to see a new internet slug match between Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I went to see the Lego Movie 2 but they were running the ol' 2:00 bait and switch and started to play Captain Marvel.

Someone in the audience yelled out, "Hey, this is that film that empowers women!" and we all started booing and throwing popcorn and demanded our money back.

Crisis narrowly avoided

Holy gently caress do not go see Lego Movie 2 I cannot stress this enough.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Away all Goats posted:

did gamers stop disney yet

came here to ask this

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Another Bill posted:

Holy gently caress do not go see Lego Movie 2 I cannot stress this enough.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Lego Movie 2 :colbert: the music was pretty good and I liked when Unikitty hulked out. Also my daughters hadn't been playing well together so its positive message about siblings was helpful and welcome.