Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Shame that most of it is going to waste when the next update arrives and changes many of the end-game recipes. Which is why I'm glad I didn't go this hard into making a huge factory.
Edit: Oh great job there Tombot, fantastic page header. slow clap

(context on previous page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ben Nerevarine posted:

That world is absolutely insane. This person even went so far as to stagger foundations in some areas to make the floor look slightly better. Kibitz said it and I agree, it's a 2100 hour save but it looks more like a 4000 hour save.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnSlsqyhgA

Good loving lord

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't think I want to play this game anymore.

Just.. /sigh

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If it's any consolation, everything in that save was made using creative mode (At least infered from the stats in the save analyzer).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If nothing else I can't imagine grinding the flowers to paint all that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In any case, even with arbitrary tools, it's still a ton of work and a lot of creativity.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Stopped playing for the most part after finishing my ACU factory but news of the release date for update 4 made me want to finish my goal of getting the golden nut before everything breaks. Needed more power to run both my supercomputer and ACU factories at the same time so I found a patch of three pure coal nodes for an easy added boost. The math works out really nicely when you have the ability to use Mk.3 extractors and can triple overclock them. Each node putting out 780 coal/min will feed 52 generators which you can split into a 4x13 grid. Each row of 13 generators uses 585 water/min, so basically a full Mk.2 pipe for 4 pipes per floor. This area of the map has plenty of water nearby for the necessary 12 pipes and a large stretch of open grassland so you don't even need to clear much of anything.

Power was at a perilous ~110GW capacity before with ~90GW usage, the capacity is around ~130GW capacity now and doesn't seem to be dropping. Before capacity would drop slowly over time to below the ~90GW necessary and blow the grid, I think because of inefficiencies in the packaging loop of my fuel plant and something to do with the mechanic of power only being produced if something needs it.

Going to drain my supercomputer storage for a while and I think that might get me over the finish line on this ~500 hour save.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Area Actions and heavily abusing the online map editor does a thankless but crucial job of shaving off time for projects like that. Like the staggered tile foundations and the aqueduct misalignments. Anything that has some sort of array symmetry or tiling pattern is quick. Still an impressive amount of legwork. I couldn't imagine doing 1/10th of that without creative tools.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Stab posted:

In any case, even with arbitrary tools, it's still a ton of work and a lot of creativity.

absolutely. Especially with poo poo like the platforms that specifically don't line up for artistic reasons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So the island in the southwest is instant death zone with no warning, why?!?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think I read they have plans for it eventually, and so they don't want anyone to build anyone there or it'll bork their saves when they utilize it? Don't know to the truth of it, but I think it's just a "don't build here" thing, without resorting to invisible walls or altering the map.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

boxen posted:

I think I read they have plans for it eventually, and so they don't want anyone to build anyone there or it'll bork their saves when they utilize it? Don't know to the truth of it, but I think it's just a "don't build here" thing, without resorting to invisible walls or altering the map.

Most of the world map seems relatively complete besides that island and the area above the waterfall in the desert which are probably the clearest Early Access spots in the game. I think the devs said that nothing about the world map is going to change with update 4 besides the introduction of the fracking nodes, maybe update 5 will give those areas another pass. The desert waterfall is at least a decent source of water if you want your water extractors somewhere out of sight and at a high altitude so you don't have to worry about pumps as much.

Drained my entire 120 hour stockpile of supercomputers and got the Golden Nut after 500 hours, I'll consider the game completed for update 3.

Going to make a new save in a different starting spot for update 4, maybe even find someone to work on a multiplayer world. From what I can tell the issues with mutliplayer are mainly to do with vehicles and I never really used those anyway. Only one functional train in my entire game world and never bothered with trucks at all.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
We were able to eliminate almost all of the multiplayer lag/desync issues, including allowing a client to drive a vehicle, by setting the network quality to ultra on host and client.

You can go a bit further and manually set the data limits, there's some instructions on this reddit comment chain: https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/b821t4/after_100_hours_multiplayer_becomes_unplayable/ejxm2jb/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I watched that Kibitz video and yeah, holy shiiiiiiit.

The train tracks are loving amazing. Just an incredible build all round.

The part where he dives under the water and discovers all the stuff down there he seemed just speechless with glee it was very :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:siren: new update 4 teaser!

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1367876099389198336

Looks interesting with more nuke refinement. I have yet to do any nuclear stuff so it might be time to get into that then! I wonder if there will be any other products for it other than power like how coal has gunpowder/steel and oil has rubber/plastic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oooh. So by the look of it it seems blenders will be replacing refiners in the existing fuel production, and then nuclear waste will be combined with silica and some fluids to make plutonium pellets, with their own production line to make plutonium fuel and its own form of waste.

I wouldn't be surprised if the change to make power buildings always run at full consumption is there to support this production line, since a nuclear generator sits in the middle of it. Especially if plutonium might ever be required for non-power production.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

:siren: new update 4 teaser!

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1367876099389198336

Looks interesting with more nuke refinement. I have yet to do any nuclear stuff so it might be time to get into that then! I wonder if there will be any other products for it other than power like how coal has gunpowder/steel and oil has rubber/plastic.

Caught this frame at the end

it's weird that the waste was just getting belted out to nowhere...hope there's something to do with it finally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's weird that the waste was just getting belted out to nowhere...hope there's something to do with it finally.

the second level of waste -- after you turn level 1 waste into plutonium fuel and burn it -- is totally gonna continue the "nuclear waste is a problem you can't solve" tradition

but I'd guess that:
a) Plutonium rods will be even more energy dense than uranium, and produce far less waste per minute output. So your waste storage facility can be far smaller,
b) Plutonium waste will be even nastier than uranium waste, like can't even get near it without a rad suit nasty.

Power plants burning fuel at full speed is still concerning for nukes in that scenario though. My hypothesis is that if you connect generators behind the new switch thing and cut the switch such that there is zero power draw, it turns the generator off. That would make building nuclear plants, or large-scale fuel gens, a bit less stupid. You could match supply and average demand that way without having to turn individual generators on & off.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

My take away from the tease is that they made waste disposal ten times more complex, while achieving nothing.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I mean... isn’t that how EVERYTHING works in this type of game?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Back Hack posted:

My take away from the tease is that they made waste disposal ten times more complex, while achieving nothing.

You would get more energy out of your uranium if nothing else. First from the nuclear fuel rod, then a second time once the waste is processed into plutonium rods. Not sure how useful that will be in practice since fully exploiting even a single uranium node already requires a massive amount of production facilities and will create more energy than you would ever know what to do with. Plus nodes are infinite so scarcity was never an issue to begin with.

Going to just assume for now that the plutonium waste being belted off into the distance foreshadows that something can be done with it. Hoping for either some kind of dedicated nuclear storage building so you're not just making 1000 industrial containers on the edge of the map, or the introduction of some kind of nuclear decay mechanic where it can become less dangerous over time.

Or they could let you sink plutonium waste but not uranium waste and offer no explanation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't delved (heavily) into nuclear power outside of making a test power rod production facility but if/when I do and they still have "can't be dumped or used" products next patch, "a mod to make them useful/removable" will be my first stop

I get that it's cutting social commentary (or something) about having waste products you have to forever deal with, but in a game where the entire point is "automate everything using infinite resources efficiently enough that you don't need to think about it and move on to the next big project", the forced inclusion of a single storage time bomb that you're forced to periodically re-interact with/remember to check on or your power grid shuts off feels exceptionally glaring and just guarantees I'll never make a real large scale power project out of it as long as other options are available. Making a huge complicated project/factory necessary to permanently deal with it is fine and fun, but "just keep stacking storage units forever until your world stops being able to autosave" feels terribly unfinished and bad. Even making them crushable but cost points instead of gaining them would be preferable.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
They should just include an asynchronous multiplayer component where you can jettison your nuclear waste and it eventually lands on another planet (someone else's game).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

They should just include an asynchronous multiplayer component where you can jettison your nuclear waste and it eventually lands on another planet (someone else's game).

Some poor new player is just minding their business, trying to get started and a drop pod of nuclear waste drops right on top of their basic resources.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mr Scumbag posted:

Why do that, when the planet is orbiting a perfectly good star that can receive basically infinity nuclear waste?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Why do that, when the planet is orbiting a perfectly good star that can receive basically infinity nuclear waste?

It was a joke.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Mr Scumbag posted:

Alternatively, use the space elevator for more than just arbitrary tech gating. Build shells, and let the elevator get rid of them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

but "just keep stacking storage units forever until your world stops being able to autosave" feels terribly unfinished and bad

Like, is the 2 million build limit also terribly unfinished and bad?

IMO the part that's crap with current nuke waste is the rate of production. 100GW of power produces 24 stacks of waste per hour, which is rather a lot to deal with. If adding the plutonium cycle reduced the waste output to 1/2 a stack per hour, 8 containers would take over 500 hours to fill. That's a lot of game time.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Kerbal Space Program taught me that shooting things into the sun is actually really hard (in terms of energy required).
Hitting the sun needs more energy than leaving the solar system.

e: to the point where the cheapest way to hit the sun is getting to solar system escape velocity first, wait until you're way out there and then aim at the sun from there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 6, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The proper corporate way isn’t bothering with the sun, just somewhere that isn’t the planet you’re on so it’s somebody else’s problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Space" is good enough too, make it someone else's surprise problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Heck there are those bottomless pits in the map right there! Just drop em in!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Set up 2 foundations over the bottomless pits, far apart enough that there is a gap but you can still jump over. Jump between them while timing opening your inventory over the gap and dropping the waste. Tada!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Leal posted:

Set up 2 foundations over the bottomless pits, far apart enough that there is a gap but you can still jump over. Jump between them while timing opening your inventory over the gap and dropping the waste. Tada!

How much would it lag the game if you just filled trucks full and then drove them into the pit (bailing midway)?

e. What about if you deconstructed the truck midair?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think the game still keeps track of falling objects, it doesn't just delete them once they reach some arbitrary altitude or whatever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Vehicles that fall through the map / into an endless pit don't get deleted.

OTOH, people commonly say that this lags up your game, because now there are "endlessly falling" vehicles. I don't think this is actually a big deal. Physics on vehicles gets turned off when they're a sufficient distance from the player. That means they stop falling. A static vehicle under the map is likely not a huge deal for game load.

If you drive a truck off a tall tower, you can see this happen without the whole bottomless pit thing -- the truck will hang in the air until you get closer.

So disposing of nuke waste by driving trucks into bottomless pits isn't as bad for your FPS as people say, but also doesn't delete it. Really you can get practically the same result by building down into the endless pit and putting containers at the very bottom of your build limit.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Starting a new prep world for the update.

It takes way, WAY too long to get to coal power. Every time I start a new world I have to force myself to keep playing until coal. There needs to be a way to fast track to it for experienced players. I get absolutely nothing out of running around chopping down trees and gathering bushes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm a real newbie at this game, played it a bit a few months back but stopped around coal power then got back into it this week.

I'm not even at coal power again (echoing post above on Coal, fml cutting down trees is frustrating) but realising this update is coming out. Is it only going to affect the higher tier stuff? My lowly pathetic base will come out untouched?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

teacup posted:

I'm a real newbie at this game, played it a bit a few months back but stopped around coal power then got back into it this week.

I'm not even at coal power again (echoing post above on Coal, fml cutting down trees is frustrating) but realising this update is coming out. Is it only going to affect the higher tier stuff? My lowly pathetic base will come out untouched?

Yes they said it will only affect Tier 7 stuff.
Well, and the way power production works. (Coal, oil and nuclear plants will be running at full burn all the time, instead of burning slower when the load is less.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Mr Scumbag posted:

Starting a new prep world for the update.

It takes way, WAY too long to get to coal power. Every time I start a new world I have to force myself to keep playing until coal. There needs to be a way to fast track to it for experienced players. I get absolutely nothing out of running around chopping down trees and gathering bushes.

I'd be fine with just giving biomass burners a belt input. If you convert it into solid biofuel a single large tree drops enough wood and leaves to run a biomass burner for 10-15 minutes depending on the tree, longer if the burner isn't running at %100. If you spend 10 minuets committing tree genocide harvesting the local flora you can just dump the wood/leaves into containers connected to a small factory that creates solid biofuel and end up with several hours worth of fuel for your biomass burners. The only annoying part after that is having to refuel the burners every 15 minutes or so.