Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Satisfactory being greatly cpu bound convinced me to go for the 12900K or equivalent when I upgrade :haw:

DDR5 seems to be the toughest thing to get around here right now so holding off for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Granted I've never gotten to the point where I build a ton of stuff, but the only time I've ever felt anything in this game is when it loads LOD changes in its very large, landscape trees. The North East desert is particularly bad. There's a load zone line near the triple coal nodes that goes across the entire desert north to south where it goes from loading the oasis (which is just one tree) that causes a noticeable hitch when it loads and then the massive trees near where I think is a triple quartz node that are outside the desert to the west. God help you if you plan to try to build anything near this load zone line cause the hitching is terrible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've determined that a tractor can keep up with the demand for ore instead of using a truck! I need ~930 ore per minute from the deposits on other side of the lake. That means a tractor carrying 24 stacks has just under 2.6 minutes to complete a round trip to keep up. I put the hammer down while recording the route, and then timed the AI driving it. 2:35, awwwwww yeah.

I wanted to use the truck, but tractor means I don't have to expand the basement with a much larger station that a truck can successfully navigate.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I did some early testing on how far you can push it and you can basically delete as many nodes as you want. I recorded a relatively long loop, ran through it on foot and deleted every single node besides the beginning and end, then set it going. The vehicle will go to the first node, get confused because the next node is too far away for it to figure out a path, then eventually after getting stuck for long enough the vehicle ghosting kicks in and it moves straight to the next node regardless of distance or terrain. Once a route is established it will be functional regardless of how many individual nodes you delete, the only way to get rid of the route is to delete it from the list directly.

This is pre-U5 paths so I'm not sure it still works this way, but a thing I've done was delete some nodes on steep uphill parts of a path.

How much gas the AI is using seems to depend mostly on how far the distance between nodes is. When you're driving uphill and going slower, the nodes get spaced closer. I noticed that while the AI normally drives faster than a player can go on level terrain, going uphill it was much slower than I could drive. Deleting every other node made the AI keep the throttle at 100 on the uphill section.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was looking over the map to plan my new oil facilities, wanting to pull up something new before tearing the old one down. The northern edge is pretty rich in oil. If it wasn't for Coffee Stain completely overhauling the region soon. >:[

DelphiAegis posted:

Wait what? I just made a 30GW diluted packaged fuel -> turbo fuel generator plant on the north sea.

I think it's likely that while the area is gonna get major work, the major elements will be the same. So like, I doubt they're gonna fill in a big new area of land where it's currently water.

So if you want to build up there, floating platforms over the ocean to the north of the oil nodes & shore are probably safe.

That's what I'm hoping anyways.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There's a cool trick you can do with walkways that are half foundation width. If you put one down you can attach another foundation to it which gives you a half foundation wall snap point. If you use this with smelters and foundries you can make the smoke stacks sit outside of your building while keeping the rest of it inside. It looks really good but its a pain in the rear end to manipulate. Something about having smoke spewing things inside just sits wrong with me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey bro I got a present waiting for you when you get back

https://i.imgur.com/0dzDyif.mp4

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have a very stupid question. When i first started the game out I used a power pole to connect the two biomass burners on the back of the HAB to each other, but when I turned them on they blew their fuses. So I assumed that you just can't have multiple power producers on a single circuit. Now I am reading things that make it sound like you can. Could someone let me know if I have been running insane numbers of wires around my base for no goddamned reason

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have a very stupid question. When i first started the game out I used a power pole to connect the two biomass burners on the back of the HAB to each other, but when I turned them on they blew their fuses. So I assumed that you just can't have multiple power producers on a single circuit. Now I am reading things that make it sound like you can. Could someone let me know if I have been running insane numbers of wires around my base for no goddamned reason

You can put all your power sources and all your machinery on the same network of cables. The fuse blows if you try to draw more power than your generators can provide.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

You can put all your power sources and all your machinery on the same network of cables. The fuse blows if you try to draw more power than your generators can provide.

To add on to this, it also doesn't matter where in the circuit your power producers are. You can't daisy-chain things on a circut (ie, machine to machine) without mods, you have to go through power poles.

CuddleCryptid posted:

AFAIK, the only thing that trips breakers is power draw exceeding power production. So, either you had too many machines drawing power from the burners, or they ran out of fuel and stopped making power. Different materials burn at different rates, for example I think leaves burn faster than wood (while generating the same power).

Run powerlines everywhere! Spiderweb the spaghetti!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I noticed Francis John discovered satisfactory, and he actually noticed that flowers burn at the slowest rate for the same power, so there you go.

biomass and biofuel are better, but you can toss a lot of flowers in before you get there

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

So weird. I just had my generators tied to each other, nothing else other than the pole, and the fuses blew. Maybe it was a bug. Still, that's going to vastly simplify my electrical grid, even though I did waste so much time setting it up.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have noticed that even though my current consumption is lower then max production, my peak power draw isnt. Sometimes when i first join my game its like the game briefly flips everything on and i blow a fuse. But it keeps happening until i disconnect whole sections, and when i return it to how i had it, its fine.

I solved it by building much more power then i need

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Loading the game has some weird consequences for both power and fluids.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

How big did this factory get? I feel like I have to see this.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

CuddleCryptid posted:

So weird. I just had my generators tied to each other, nothing else other than the pole, and the fuses blew. Maybe it was a bug. Still, that's going to vastly simplify my electrical grid, even though I did waste so much time setting it up.

Did the fuses blow, or did they run out of fuel? Bioburners will run even if they're not actively powering anything, and it makes the same noise when it shuts down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Did the fuses blow, or did they run out of fuel? Bioburners will run even if they're not actively powering anything, and it makes the same noise when it shuts down.

Nah it definitely blew the fuse, I had to manually throw the breaker after I separated the circuit again. It was bizarre. And even if I had left them hooked up to their full circuit accidentally they were each handling their respective loads fine, so branching the two circuits shouldn't have made an issue.

RVT posted:

How big did this factory get? I feel like I have to see this.

Not too big, I was at coal power and was starting to get my steel industry going while pumping out motors and reinforced plates. Essentially I ended up making a tower of industry where every two floors were directly connected to a single coal plant, and had everything color coded because I kept accidentally hooking circuits together and blowing the breaker. Trying again last night, it now works on a single circuit and it is SO much easier.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 10, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just build a ton of biomass burners as battery bank. Until you get Power Storages.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hmmm. Just stumbled upon this thread, never heard of the game before. Does it have a pretty active playerbase, and is it worth getting in to for $30?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you're into logistics and building factories in three dimensional space on an 21 square miles island, sure.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hughmoris posted:

Hmmm. Just stumbled upon this thread, never heard of the game before. Does it have a pretty active playerbase, and is it worth getting in to for $30?

Do you like factory games? Like Factorio? Or Dyson Sphere Program?

As a transplant from DSP I can tell you if you're into that kind of efficiency simulator gameplay you're going to enjoy this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm getting pretty tired of these mobs in the game. If at least the rifle was worth a drat.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CuddleCryptid posted:

Nah it definitely blew the fuse, I had to manually throw the breaker after I separated the circuit again. It was bizarre. And even if I had left them hooked up to their full circuit accidentally they were each handling their respective loads fine, so branching the two circuits shouldn't have made an issue.

If you started playing at the right time earlier this year, I think you were getting hit by a game bug. For a while there was a big problem with grids tripping after loading a save, it was like everything demanded power for a second at load even if it was idle. Only solution was more grid capacity then potential demand, which is annoying early game.

That bug was fixed, though there are still some things that can cause smaller power spikes just after a load. Particularly on refineries. A few power storage batteries should handle that though.

Hughmoris posted:

IMO as someone who really loves the game but can appreciate why some others don't, the 3 main criteria that are distinctive about Satisfactory:
• you like the idea of a complex factory game + the ability to be creative / a pretty world
• you have a high tolerance for slow gameplay -- the "inner loop" of the game is *very* slow. Slower than just about any other game around.
• you aren't opposed to a game that somewhat needs external tools or at least some pen & paper notes to handle

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have been inspired to make nice looking factories.

Here is my WIP power plant.

Hat tip to Kylith, for inspiring me to abandon the school of Anarchobrutalism.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I like to color code my pipes so I know what's in them. This is for my pending aluminum/battery setup.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Factorio for me, was 100% IMPROVE EFFUCIENCY and IDENTIFY NEXT BOTTLENECK!

I couldn't stop playing it, and had to uninstall it.

This game, once I unlocked everything and seen what others have done, has turned into:
How nice can I make my factory look?
Can I hold myself to certain aesthetics?
Can I build my next factory to achieve some aesthetic goal and produce Computers?

Also, I am running a dedicated server, so I can impress my friends with my unparalleled sense of style.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally overhauling my oil stuff. Here's an overengineered collector station with option to package excess oil into a sink:

:v:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of these mobs in the game. If at least the rifle was worth a drat.

Combat doesn’t interest me at all so I just run the passive mod. Also happens to remove those annoying poison cloud rocks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

necrotic posted:

Also happens to remove those annoying poison cloud rocks.

SAY WHAT

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Vasudus posted:

SAY WHAT

Yeah, it’s great.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Note: there's at least one poison cloud damage area that doesn't get removed

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It is annoying that so far into the life of the game, they still haven't done relatively simple QOL things like having vehicles obey your inverted mouse settings.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It is scary to know that there are people in the world that are so wrong about how they do things.

Edit: (this was meant as a simple joke about inverted mouse settings)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 11, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So I did my travel and decided that there really is no reason to not build my nice base right over the waterfall at the edge of the grasslands, especially since i was building a train network anyway.

i started by making a station w/ cargo near the grasslands coal, and skirting along the start area to the waterfall, to turn north to the oil for my 2nd station.

Its a single track, two stations, and i built a single freight car with a train on each end, pointing the respective direction. Why can't I make this train go back and forth between stops right now as is ?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 13, 2021

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Are the train stations pointing the right directions? The train won't dock with a station when coming from the wrong direction.

<---Station <---Train---> Station--->

You can also solve it by only having one locomotive with loops on the ends.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 13, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also: if you have put any signals on the rails, do you have the signals for both directions (ie on both sides of the track)? If the train is going back and forth, the signals have to be paired to be a two-way track.

Ignore this if you don't have any signals yet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ohhhh they are both pointing in the same direction, i need to account for it coming in that way.. i get it

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Ardlen posted:

Are the train stations pointing the right directions? The train won't dock with a station when coming from the wrong direction.

<---Station <---Train---> Station--->

You can also solve it by only having one locomotive with loops on the ends.

Does this actually work now? I swear I spent an hour trying to get a point to point train working when they were first released. I gave up and have been putting loops on each end ever since.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Does this actually work now? I swear I spent an hour trying to get a point to point train working when they were first released. I gave up and have been putting loops on each end ever since.

Yes. And if it didn't work when trains first came out, it's been a thing since at least U3.

It still has complications compared to putting a loop after the station. Like how if your station goes Motors-Computers-Rubber the train might deliver Rubber-Computers-Motors, if the route it takes can turn it around that way. The train itself has no concept of orientation.

Also trains with front and back locomotives consume twice as much power.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Just run two tracks no surprises

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My plan is for side by side (how close can track run next to each other?). Or at the very least station bypasses and signals to have trains run on a single track without issue

I just want to get the basics down and make it look pretty, then I'll expand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

:getin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!