Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I keep having to remind myself that I can climb cliffs and cross gaps as the player by just making a conveyor, then deconstructing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Boogalo posted:

I keep having to remind myself that I can climb cliffs and cross gaps as the player by just making a conveyor, then deconstructing it.

Yeah, you could theoretically make ramps too but conveyors are probably a fast-and-dirty way of doing it.

Interesting that this game's equivalent to Factorio's production-enhancing chips are slugs you have to find out in the wild, usually protected by poison plants or hostile animals or just up on a ledge. That's one way to encourage exploration.

Found mushrooms in a deep cave that can be turned into fabric and a healing inhaler that heals you fully in one shot. Neat.

I really wish the full game has some way of switching equipped items. The hotbar for constructing I get, but there needs to be one for weapons too (or a way to put weapons on the same hotbar)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you find a lizard doggo, drop a berry on the ground and see if it'll let you pet it

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I'm a bit confused about how the tractor works. I recorded a route between my coal mine truck station and my base truck station, put it on auto-pilot and the tractor just drove off into the distance. Now it's way up north and I can't figure out where. No matter how far north I go (until I meet a cliff), the compass marker won't budge as I go east and west, meaning it is waaay off. I have just accepted that the tractor is off on it's own adventure now.

How do I make a tractor go between two truck stations?

Enjoying the game, but found it a tad tedious. But from reading here, that is probably because I am still in the early-game. Scaling up with my limited production seems daunting considering I still need to hand-craft a lot of stuff.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Dunno-Lars posted:

I'm a bit confused about how the tractor works. I recorded a route between my coal mine truck station and my base truck station, put it on auto-pilot and the tractor just drove off into the distance. Now it's way up north and I can't figure out where. No matter how far north I go (until I meet a cliff), the compass marker won't budge as I go east and west, meaning it is waaay off. I have just accepted that the tractor is off on it's own adventure now.

How do I make a tractor go between two truck stations?

Enjoying the game, but found it a tad tedious. But from reading here, that is probably because I am still in the early-game. Scaling up with my limited production seems daunting considering I still need to hand-craft a lot of stuff.

Automating coal changed everything for me. All of a sudden I was free to mess around, explore, and experiment with my factory.

I really want to buy the game but don't really want it on the epic store.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Automating coal was the last thing I did before I quit, but due to mentioned issues with tractors, I just used a really long belt. It was more then enough for 3 coal plants at my factory. The coal mine spits out a lot of coal (120/m) without overclocks.

Sadly, I won't have time to play more, but I felt that I had done all the content. I didn't build a huge factory, but what would I need that for? There were nothing left really to unlock.

Absolutely last thing I did was drive off with a second tractor to explore. Found some really nice stuff and the terrain is surprisingly maneuverable with the tractor. Nice touch that the wildlife won't aggro on you while driving the tractor. And running into the super-tall animals is very fun, they topple over nicely.

Feeling the same about the Epic launcher. I already have Steam, the bethesda launcher, origin, GOG Galaxy and Uplay. Don't need more.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Boogalo posted:

I can see myself playing this, at least once or twice through each map but will probably wait for steam release.

It's one map, 30 km2 (or 5.4 km x 5.4 km).

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
After exploring early on I found a hard drive and ran into the thing where after you research it if you try to claim its reward you just CTD so that kinda got the research table stuck for me.

Im also a bit unsure what to do with interior spaces, buildings are like three wall segments tall and conveyors don't rise too fast so it's hard to get vertical as much as things like the walkways and jump pads kind of make me think I should be. Also give me a perpendicular conveyor wall with brackets for two conveyors tia

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Phobeste posted:

After exploring early on I found a hard drive and ran into the thing where after you research it if you try to claim its reward you just CTD so that kinda got the research table stuck for me.

Im also a bit unsure what to do with interior spaces, buildings are like three wall segments tall and conveyors don't rise too fast so it's hard to get vertical as much as things like the walkways and jump pads kind of make me think I should be. Also give me a perpendicular conveyor wall with brackets for two conveyors tia

stackable conveyor poles and spirals are great for going between floors.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I can see myself playing this, at least once or twice through each map but will probably wait for steam release.

I hate to rain on your parade, but you're going to be waiting for quite a long time.

quote:

Satisfactory, the new game by Goat Simulator developer Coffee Stain Studios, will launch in early access 19th March, exclusively on the Epic Games Store (it is exclusive for 12 months)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you already have 15 different launchers/storefronts installed, is one more really a problem? It seems like you've already gotten over having to have multiple launchers, so I guess I don't get why this is the straw that breaks your camel's back.

E: Particularly when Epic is trying to shift more money towards the developers rather than keeping a massive chunk of revenue.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Here's my wall of text review of my alpha weekend experience. After playing this game all weekend, I am optimistic about the potential with some reservations. There much to like here but it definitely has room for improvement.

On Friday, I was pretty hyped only to end up somewhat underwhelmed. I got stuck in geometry on several occasions forcing me to kill myself and I encountered a hard crash when trying to manually feed a factory. I also noticed several typos and missing icons. I get that they say it's alpha but it's going on sale in a week and I doubt everything will be fixed in time. It will be early access of course but I feel that they probably need a few more months to flesh things out.

The view distance is pretty poor which is a real shame when the environments are so beautiful. I have a fairly beefy machine (9700k, 1080, 32gigs) with the settings maxed. When you climb up really high and try to get a view of your entire factory, you end up with a culled mess of low res textures and items jumping around on belts at an extremely low framerate. Panoramic views of the wilderness tend to be obscured by fog which looks nice but is only there to reduce detail.

One thing that really got me is that it's clear that you rely heavily on hand crafting to progress. There appears to be items that simply cannot be built in automated factories, like mining drills. It then gets convoluted when structures are assembled automatically from materials in you inventory but other items need to be built at a work bench. It's quite different from Factorio where 'everything' can be automated and you have factories constructing other factories.

I forgot all of these criticisms by Saturday when I constructed a glorious 3 story building with belts wrapping around the outside and inside walls to deposit finished components in the first floor warehouse. There's some issues with belts wrapping around outside corners but they allow you to cheat by constructing temporary platforms that can be deleted later for aesthetics. The game does a really good job of making base construction fun and we're going to see tons of screenshots of crazy structures.

Exploration is a joy and it helps break up the tedium of crafting. It's great that you can climb almost anywhere and you can build your own bridges and ramps to even more distant locales. There's all kinds of strange collectables and beautiful scenery to find. The hand crafted environment is a real joy to behold.

Overall, the game is good as long as you don't compare the automation to Factorio and I doubt they'll ever approach the same level of complex production pipelines. I don't like the pacing for setting up automation but base construction in 3d is satisfying. Exploration is fun, rewarding, and does a good job of alleviating the crafting shortcomings.

ninjewtsu posted:

i had to build a stupid amount of power generation to automate filling up the space elevator with its cargo. it's really dumb that i'm having to handfeed 12 power generators, that seems like the task that should be your introduction to heavy automation, but the way pre-coal power works heavy automation is heavily punished (either you spend your entire time filling up your power plants until the task is complete, or your entire base shuts off!), and filling up the space elevator's cargo is what unlocks automated power!

I automated t3 as well but I only needed 5 generators. The game does quite a bit to alleviate the manual aspect of feeding your generators but it's still a manual process in a game about automation. It feels backwards when you compare it to Factorio where automating power generations is always the first thing you do.

Carecat posted:

It's one map, 30 km2 (or 5.4 km x 5.4 km).

The real question is how much concrete you need to produce in order to pave the entire map.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly I don't know why biomass doesn't let you feed it from a chest or something, having to do that by hand is obnoxious. On the other hand, it does get obsoleted almost entirely and instantly by coal once coal becomes available so uh. Not sure.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly I don't know why biomass doesn't let you feed it from a chest or something, having to do that by hand is obnoxious. On the other hand, it does get obsoleted almost entirely and instantly by coal once coal becomes available so uh. Not sure.

We need to come up with a strategy to rush to tier 3 and coal automation. You can probably get away with just using the power generators in the hub and 3 factories. You need a ton of copper wire, iron plates, and iron rods. From there you just need to hand craft a bunch of screws, rotors, and reinforced plates.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 10, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

RVWinkle posted:

The real question is how much concrete you need to produce in order to pave the entire map.

If it is indeed 5,400m x 5,400m, then you need 2,733,750 concrete.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Mr. Powers posted:

If you already have 15 different launchers/storefronts installed, is one more really a problem? It seems like you've already gotten over having to have multiple launchers, so I guess I don't get why this is the straw that breaks your camel's back.

E: Particularly when Epic is trying to shift more money towards the developers rather than keeping a massive chunk of revenue.

I like this game, but
  • personally I've had way more break-in attempts and ridiculous numbers of emails about account security - vs none for Steam, uPlay, or Origin
  • can't play your games in offline mode
  • no community reviews (which I know can be manipulated, but also give at least some sense of the current quality of the game, especially with early access titles)
  • poor social features, especially compared to Steam
  • very buggy download management
  • no achievements, if you were one to care about that
  • Epic's account and fraud management is seriously flawed - multiple reports of people's accounts getting hacked and used to purchase currency, with no reply from customer service and a complete account ban on chargeback
  • may or may not be feeding your data to massive investor Tencent

I can see where Coffee Stain is coming from, and I still might buy the game, but it's not like Epic is really offering anything on par with the other major launchers.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

parabolic posted:

I like this game, but
  • personally I've had way more break-in attempts and ridiculous numbers of emails about account security - vs none for Steam, uPlay, or Origin
  • can't play your games in offline mode
  • no community reviews (which I know can be manipulated, but also give at least some sense of the current quality of the game, especially with early access titles)
  • poor social features, especially compared to Steam
  • very buggy download management
  • no achievements, if you were one to care about that
  • Epic's account and fraud management is seriously flawed - multiple reports of people's accounts getting hacked and used to purchase currency, with no reply from customer service and a complete account ban on chargeback
  • may or may not be feeding your data to massive investor Tencent

I can see where Coffee Stain is coming from, and I still might buy the game, but it's not like Epic is really offering anything on par with the other major launchers.

Those are good reasons. It being the 9th storefront/launcher on your computer isn't a particularly good one, though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

RVWinkle posted:

We need to come up with a strategy to rush to tier 3 and coal automation. You can probably get away with just using the power generators in the hub and 3 factories. You need a ton of copper wire, iron plates, and iron rods. From there you just need to hand craft a bunch of screws, rotors, and reinforced plates.

Focus on automating Iron with 3 or more smelters, with one copper smelter. I wasn't running out of copper with one smelter, and creating copper wire manually was pretty fast.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I had one copper mine going into one copper smelter going into 1 copper wire constructor and that provided more copper wire than i ever needed

Cables don't need automation, and those are the only two copper products, so uh, that's copper dealt with

One iron mine going to plates, another going to rods, spend 15 minutes at the crafting bench until you've gunned through to coal power.

And then you get to actually play the game

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Two things not on that list, no cloud saves and a lack of Steamworks networking features may be making this game very fussy about NATs for multiplayer. I don't think their 4 player Steam game Deep Rock Galactic uses dedicated servers but it works without issue, this is a real bitch.

Unfortunately it's the only place to get it for a year, same for Hades.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 10, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Carecat posted:

Two things not on that list, no cloud saves and without the Steamworks networking features this game is very fussy about NATs for multiplayer. I don't think their 4 player Steam game Deep Rock Galactic uses dedicated servers but it works without issue, this is a real bitch.

Unfortunately it's the only place to get it for a year, same for Hades.

DRG is published by CS, but a different developer.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So I played this all the way through the early alpha weekend content. I kinda wish the machines were smaller? Like, they take so much room, especially the splitters. All of them take up a lot of space, which means that foundations feel weirdly scaled when trying to make indoor complexes. Perhaps make them 70% as big as they are now by default, and maybe have an upgrade to make them smaller.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I got pretty annoyed that I can't have a belt traverse the space above a splitter/merger

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I assume at some point they'll add stuff to actually do with copper. Honestly you kinda run out of stuff to automate in the alpha just because theres a lot that you could automate in e.g. factorio you can't here - buildings are done manually, a bunch of tools are done manually.

One interesting side effect here is that you're gong to need basic iron plates forever since you use it for buildings. So you can't just blindingly shove it all in the reinforced plate line or whatever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm trying to get to t3. Is there any way to move materials into an Assembler faster than the belts I currently have, or do I have to wait for 24 goddamn screws to march their way in there for every reinforced plate?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm trying to get to t3. Is there any way to move materials into an Assembler faster than the belts I currently have, or do I have to wait for 24 goddamn screws to march their way in there for every reinforced plate?

Cheese it by manually dumping in a full stack? It'll have the same problem, but it'll work better for a while.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

You get faster belts as one of the final researches. If you're willing to destroy your power network, you can parallelize instead. 1 assembler can only be fed 1 belt's worth of screws at a time, but if you build 3 assemblers, you can feed 3 belts worth of screws into making reinforced plates/rotors. I think they don't even draw power until they start making a product, so theoretically it's not total hell on your power, but if all 3 start building at the same time that powerspike can ruin you.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

I got pretty annoyed that I can't have a belt traverse the space above a splitter/merger

You can, but you need to go either two or three clicks up with the conveyor poles and have one placed on each side so that it's level over the top of it. They really need something to show you collision boxes for placement.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ModeSix posted:

I hate to rain on your parade, but you're going to be waiting for quite a long time.

Yeah that's fine, I can wait, Plenty of other things to play.

To add to epic launcher security issues, 5 new friend requests from random people while I was offline since last night. No clue who they are, can only assume bullshit bots. I also noticed you can connect to steam to search for friends to add in epic, which is pretty funny.

Finally got to coal last night, about 5 hours in. It took a trip or two back and forth but I decided to just make the power generators next to the mining spots for easier logistics. Nice to finally go exploring for a while without worrying about my base shutting off.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I agree that having one more launcher is not the big issue that I thought. I guess I am just annoyed by not having it all on Steam, but I still got Fallout 76 (lots of regret, but not because of one more launcher). So I take it back.

Might wait a bit until the game is finished though, burned out on early access games before, never completing the final game because I had done it all before.

I actually enjoyed the game and the mess up I did with the runaway tractor was just amusing.
Thanks for the feedback on the launcher complaint, I was being unreasonable about it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

One time I had my autopiloted tractor go down a long ramp, then up a small ramp. When I drove the track, it went just fine, but when the autopilot drove the track, it launched off the final ramp and flew over my entire coal mining operation, and also off a cliff

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ninjewtsu posted:

One time I had my autopiloted tractor go down a long ramp, then up a small ramp. When I drove the track, it went just fine, but when the autopilot drove the track, it launched off the final ramp and flew over my entire coal mining operation, and also off a cliff

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7XcUXphJk

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yes except for the part where that car touched the ground

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something that definitely needs to be removed in the future is if you fall off a cliff into a bottomless pit, it should stop having your death marker point there because there's no coffin to retrieve!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
About 8 hours of gameplay in, I think it's about time for me to shelve the game until 1.0. It's real good, but I think I'd burn out trying to keep up with everything.

Highlights for me included:
  • Finding something to do while waiting for my reinforced plates to autocraft, so I built a jump pad relay out to my far outpost!
  • Immediately afterward, realizing that I had spent all the reinforced plates I had autocrafted so far on jump pads.
  • Not finding enough alien carapaces to do the 10 research until I had finished literally everything else in the alpha
  • Realizing I could run more than one coal power plant off a coal miner
  • Finally turning off all my biofuel generators because my coal is fully automated
  • That space elevator build animation. That was wonderful
  • Turning the plateau above my base into Bell Hell Central. It is truly a sight to behold and a nightmare to navigate.

Is there currently any way to make a rebreather or a gas mask to deal with the poison gas? That's the main thing that usually got me to abandon an area.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there currently any way to make a rebreather or a gas mask to deal with the poison gas? That's the main thing that usually got me to abandon an area.

There's a gas mask, but it's in a higher tech level.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Once you get Limestone, I suggest keeping a perpetual factory making cement and shoving it into a storage box. You might not think you'll need tons (besides the space elevator) but then you suddenly want to start Building A Factory and you need a thousand+ and better to have preemptively stocked instead of having to go find a second deposit, overclock both, and feed them with a dedicated coal plant to stockpile everything on the quicklike.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And that's free alpha weekend over. Definitely worth it. See you all next week I guess?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Will the upcomming early access have multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Will the upcomming early access have multiplayer?

The alpha test weekend did, so I see no reason why EA won't