Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I read the wiki and there's a bit of info on machines that have not been released yet. They have quantum computers, and teleporter storage boxes, and a bunch of upgraded machines that all seem to start from S.A.M. ore, which is probably what will make dark matter. I'm willing to bet the WIP stuff will be for some type of personal upgrades since it's so limited, but maybe it's for overclocking quantum stuff like the power slugs

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Dark_Matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A recent Q&A video mentioned that the tier 8 things (involving quantum computers, S.A.M. ore, and probably that dark matter) is aimed at giving limited-use (non-spammable) solutions to late game factory design and logistics problems. There is something about the extraction rate of S.A.M. ore being hard limited to a specific number of items per node per hour too.

The Somersloop and Mercer Sphere items supposedly tie into the storyline, which hasn't really been revealed at all yet. It will probably get dumped all at once when the game leaves EA. To me they pretty clearly relate to a previous civilization on the planet. The planet also does have some odd terrain, that in places look like vents, transport tubes, and more, almost like the planet itself is a constructed (or perhaps "grown") factory...

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PiCroft posted:

So I've just started this and I'm hooked - I'm wondering what the WIP artefacts are going to be used for if anyone knows?

Also, do people typically just build out over water for the factories? I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to make multi-storey factories just now and it took me until I built the coupon-producing building and shop to find stuff I'd have expected from a factory builder like walkways, stairs and the like, but my biggest problem is figuring out how to lay out the factory on uneven terrain.

Initially, I like to build around surrounding terrain organically until I get several (mostly) vertical structures. When those structures get tall enough I connect the tops together then stack floors to form a mega-factory.

To me, it is more fun and challenging than paving over water,because you eventually get that massive foundation area to build on but there's a labyrinthian hell realm in the basement where resources (if any) go in and items come out, but hosed if you remember why, or how.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'd like to take a second to confess to some personal stupidity.

I genuinely thought there were three different maps, not just three different starting locations on the same map.
Seeing as I sunk roughly 80 hours into my first game (the newbie grasslands with a fuckton of impure nodes) on the first release of Satisfactory, and spent quite a while exploring without even getting close to the northern forest where I now have spent 40 hours on my second game...good god, this map is huge. :stare:

My first reaction was to be fairly bummed that I "wasted" a lot of time getting back up through the tech tree, but fairly soon after that, I realized "expanding to" or connecting the base from my first game to the prosperity of the northern forest would have been an insane endeavor anyway.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Also the burners only turn bio goo into power if that power is needed somewhere. Nothing in the game ever runs out so you can just walk away, and even if you die nothing is lost (you'll just have to retrieve your inventory from the corpse). So the devs just ditched a pause feature because "pausing" means your machines aren't making more stuff for you.

So do bushes/trees grow back eventually?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ToxicFrog posted:

Supposedly, but I find the berry bushes never seem to grow more fruit. Really wish you could plant them and farm in this game to keep a steady flow of med inhalers.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think they follow the powered building rules. If you leave for a while some grow back. I have no proof of this other than having to run down a super long belt to upgrade the miner. The fruit had grown back along the way and I know I would have grabbed them beforehand because I’m a pack rat for that poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Supposedly, but I find the berry bushes never seem to grow more fruit. Really wish you could plant them and farm in this game to keep a steady flow of med inhalers.

I've observed the opposite a couple of times so far. When exiting the region where my base is at for some crash site exploration, I've grabbed berries from bushes I'd harvested before a number of times now. Though, I can't really put my finger on the respawn time, it's awfully long, though.
On that note, I've also had every single one of those three-pronged angry-bees-bushes respawn on me about three times in my 40 hours so far. Literally every single one of them respawned, even the ones sitting in the very center of my base. Weirdly-enough, those that respawned in spots occupied by miners (that 4-pure-iron-nodes spot in the northern forest has three of them sitting right on the nodes) didn't spawn back as "plants", but I guess immediately just discharged the critters that where idling around until I came back.

/edit:
I guess those don't count as actual predators, but probably follow the same spawning mechanic I've observed from berries?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you want to farm berries, just trap a bunch of lizard doggos. Just have an out for when they give you a chunck of uranium.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dr. Stab posted:

If you want to farm berries, just trap a bunch of lizard doggos. Just have an out for when they give you a chunck of uranium.

You have a video link for doing that by chance?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

I use the alt recipe that uses the mushrooms from the caves to make inhalers. Last time I was playing the bushes would regrow the fruit and nuts but when you went to harvest them again, they'd disappear but you wouldn't actually have gathered them; other than the first time. Maybe they fixed that I don't know. Can you buy inhalers with the awesome sink store?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has there been any official word on when the Steam release is? I've heard rumors sometime this month, but haven't been able to trace them back to the developer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LLSix posted:

Has there been any official word on when the Steam release is? I've heard rumors sometime this month, but haven't been able to trace them back to the developer.

They are still promising this month and they are supposed to update again this weekend.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYDGGVSw_o

Most likely last week of May but probably more realistically early June for Steam release.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Steam release date is also when they're going to push all the experimental stuff to the stable branch

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PiCroft posted:

So I've just started this and I'm hooked - I'm wondering what the WIP artefacts are going to be used for if anyone knows?

Also, do people typically just build out over water for the factories? I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to make multi-storey factories just now and it took me until I built the coupon-producing building and shop to find stuff I'd have expected from a factory builder like walkways, stairs and the like, but my biggest problem is figuring out how to lay out the factory on uneven terrain.

Pave the world. Uneven terrain is for wildlife and scrubs, and you're neither.

(Don't actually pave everything like I habitually do, I just have OCD and find satisfaction in the complete destruction of nature. I even add things like support pillars and aesthetic truss structures to mentally justify my concrete wasteland. But I at least tend to hug the ground unlike those WRONG sky dwellers.)

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC according to the devs wildlife far enough away from your influence will grow back its just not implemented yet. They tried like two experimental ago and it just ended up spawning monsters into your existing factories.

But also even without re spawning greenery, once you have the chainsaw and can collect wood you'll likely have more leaves and wood than you can reasonably get rid of. In my most recent game 8 hours in I just unlocked coal power and I've already got two containers of solid bio fuel stashed just from what I collected naturally. The world is insanely lush with nature to turn into black smoke.

Automate the three types of biomass recipes; leaves, wood, and carapace (once you have enough stockpiled for research purposes). Container -> Biomass assember -> container. Then add a -> Solid Biofuel assember -> container once you unlock that. Each tier gets more energy per original greenery.

And with alternate recipies biomass can be turned into biocoal instead of solid biofuel, which produces an absurd amount of coal when you need some in an area without a coal node. But being biomass it doesn't last forever in this edge case.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 23, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The game is currently discounted on Epic, which also gives you a $10 coupon, so you can pick it up for $16 right now, unless ~Vendor Purity~ is the highest priority.
:shrug:

I picked it up and made my first factory. It's...uhhhh...a mess. I've just decided to leave and start over nearby: the space elevator standing as a monument to my disorganization...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm almost up to unlocking the rest of tier 6 for the first time, and decided to completely tear apart all my early production infrastructure in order to rearrange it and use all of my pure nodes more efficiently.
One issue I've run into is the somewhat overwhelming amount of options I have in terms of alternate recipes.

There are some things that just immediately "make sense" to me, like eliminating iron rod production and instead going along a screw/plate setup that feeds all the intermediate products up to motor and modular frame production. Another alternate recipe that seems like a quality of life upgrade is the one where you combine 4 copper and one caterium ingot into 30 screws since that eliminates a fuckton of constructors in one sweep.

But other than that, I'm kinda struggling with "the big picture" in planning with alternate recipes.

Is the way to go just to basically try to look for alternate recipes with higher output (thus reducing the overall amount of production machines) and seeing if you can try to eliminate some intermediate parts altogether?
Because this is breaking my brain, and I haven't even set up my oil production yet, so I've not considered any of the alternate recipes that have me piping in rubber or plastic into "normal" part production.

Are there some recipes that are basically "must-haves" in the long run?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's several categories of alt recipes. Some let you simplify your production by skipping steps, getting nicer ratios, or processing more at a time. Some let you produce items from alternate ingredients. Some let you get more output from the same raw material. Usually they all have some kind of tradeoff, like getting more annoying ratios, or needing rarer ingredients, or requiring many more machines and in turn much more power.
The way to maximize production from the raw material will almost always end up need huge arrays of machines going through several steps.

One of the absolutely amazing alt recipes is Diluted Fuel, which combines water and (packaged) heavy oil residue to make much more fuel.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm almost up to unlocking the rest of tier 6 for the first time, and decided to completely tear apart all my early production infrastructure in order to rearrange it and use all of my pure nodes more efficiently.
One issue I've run into is the somewhat overwhelming amount of options I have in terms of alternate recipes.

There are some things that just immediately "make sense" to me, like eliminating iron rod production and instead going along a screw/plate setup that feeds all the intermediate products up to motor and modular frame production. Another alternate recipe that seems like a quality of life upgrade is the one where you combine 4 copper and one caterium ingot into 30 screws since that eliminates a fuckton of constructors in one sweep.

But other than that, I'm kinda struggling with "the big picture" in planning with alternate recipes.

Is the way to go just to basically try to look for alternate recipes with higher output (thus reducing the overall amount of production machines) and seeing if you can try to eliminate some intermediate parts altogether?
Because this is breaking my brain, and I haven't even set up my oil production yet, so I've not considered any of the alternate recipes that have me piping in rubber or plastic into "normal" part production.

Are there some recipes that are basically "must-haves" in the long run?

Check out this wiki page. Scroll down to the useful recipes section and below and it'll give you a basic overview of what's good and what's not. Some recipes, like the above mentioned diluted fuel, are must-haves. Others work in tandem with each other, like like stitched iron plate combined with iron wire. Some offer trade offs depending on your situation, like the rigour motor, and others are straight up worse in every way, like fine concrete.

Also, what I came here for was to post a link to this streamer: ImKibitz. He's been playing the game for a long while now and has tons of videos on how he's progressing in his current play through. He's currently working on a mega base in the north eastern desert that's already almost gotten taller than the space elevator. He's only got a couple slightly annoying catch phrases and doesn't do a bunch of yelling and screaming, so I can at least sit down and watch it easily enough. He's also got some basic tutorials on things like setting up trains and trucks and stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Alt...alternate recipes? :confuoot:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Alt...alternate recipes? :confuoot:

Go search around for drop pods and get harddrives out of them. They'll have a bunch of different requirements to open them. You stuff the hdd in the MAM and it'll give you the choice of 3 different ways to make stuff.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TK-42-1 posted:

Go search around for drop pods and get harddrives out of them. They'll have a bunch of different requirements to open them. You stuff the hdd in the MAM and it'll give you the choice of 3 different ways to make stuff.

To elaborate a bit, you'll need some materials and/or power to open most of them. the ones that don't require anything typically are in areas covered by poison gas or are very hard to get to. If you wanna go hunting for them, my recommendation is to either bring a ton of beacons and mark what each one needs so you can get back to it later, or use this map. If you end up using the interactive map, you can upload your save and it'll show you all the poo poo you've built so far and grey out resource nodes you've built over or pods you've opened. It's a good map.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Contrary to the wiki I'm personally a fan of the ones that reduce the amount of parallel machines you need, like "bolted iron plate" since while it doesn't save resources like some of the others it makes the logistics far simpler. "Cast Screws" + "Bolted Iron Plate" + "Bolted Frame" is insanely compact and efficient. If you really need more resource efficiency its much easier to do it using the "pure" alternates at the ingot stage rather than the mess in the logistics.

neogeo0823 posted:

To elaborate a bit, you'll need some materials and/or power to open most of them. the ones that don't require anything typically are in areas covered by poison gas or are very hard to get to. If you wanna go hunting for them, my recommendation is to either bring a ton of beacons and mark what each one needs so you can get back to it later, or use this map. If you end up using the interactive map, you can upload your save and it'll show you all the poo poo you've built so far and grey out resource nodes you've built over or pods you've opened. It's a good map.

The map is awesome and super useful, but for your first play through its best to not use it unless you're extremely frustrated with something. My favorite parts of Satisfactory are the exploration moods. I still get that feeling sometimes even having seen everything at least once before.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Check out this wiki page. Scroll down to the useful recipes section and below and it'll give you a basic overview of what's good and what's not. Some recipes, like the above mentioned diluted fuel, are must-haves. Others work in tandem with each other, like like stitched iron plate combined with iron wire. Some offer trade offs depending on your situation, like the rigour motor, and others are straight up worse in every way, like fine concrete.

Oh, that is really drat helpful, thanks for that.
Looks like I already settled on several of the useful recipes, guess I'll check which others I have available tomorrow.

But yeesh, some of these are look like some straight up bullshit..."iron wire" is straight up copper wire...but from iron :lol:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Iron wire is a great recipe because it pretty often lets you cut copper out of the factory entirely

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Iron wire is a great recipe because it pretty often lets you cut copper out of the factory entirely

Less so now that circuit boards use copper sheets rather than wires, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

Less so now that circuit boards use copper sheets rather than wires, though.

Theres tons of alternate recipes for those too, thankfully, including one that makes them entirely out of oil. If you follow only standard recipes for nuclear fuel rods they require both copper and coal but I was able to cut both out at the cost of adding oil in my factory

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My fave alt recipes are the aluminum ones. Normally to process aluminum you have to do this:

Bauxite + Water -> Alumina Solution + Silica
Alumina Solution + Petroleum Coke -> Aluminum Scrap + Water (Less than is needed in step one, so you still must have water available)
Aluminum Scrap + Silica (Less than is provided by step one, so you still must have quartz available) -> Aluminum Ingot
Aluminum Ingot + Copper Ingot -> Alclad sheets (the thing you actually want and DO anything with)

So to process aluminum normally we need bauxite, water, oil, quartz and copper. With alt recipes you can do this:

Bauxite + Water -> Alumina Solution + Silica
Alumina Solution + Coal -> Aluminum Scrap + Water (alt recipe to use coal instead of petroleum coke)
Aluminum Scrap -> Aluminum Ingots (alt recipe lowers yield but cuts out silica input)
Aluminum Ingot + Copper Ingot -> Alclad sheets

So we went from needing bauxite, water, oil, quartz and copper to needing bauxite, water, coal and copper. Quite a bargain in terms of the logistics involved.

Some other gems, there's an alt recipe to let you make fabric outta oil (no more biomass + mycelia!) and the various alloys can be handy. 2 iron ore + 2 copper ore = 5 iron ingots obviously has uses, especially since as people have mentioned, iron wire makes it so you only really NEED copper for copper sheets and alclad sheets, since iron can just make wire and thus cable.

I'm also pretty fond of the "steel rotor" option; instead of rods and screws, you can built rotors out of wire and steel pipe. That may not sound like a great deal but that's also what stators are made of, and stators and rotors combine into motors, so with "steel rotor" your motor factory can get by with ONLY wire and steel pipe inputs.

The alt recipes for better ways to make steel are also great cuz when you're first expanding into steel, coal's so limited and the belts available often don't really allow overclocking. A mk2 miner on a pure node's pumping 240/m as is, and the best belts available at the time are 270/m, so there's no belt capacity for overclocking. But making steel out of compacted coal + iron ore, coal + iron ingots, or petroleum coke + iron ore REALLY boost steel output.

For the people wishing for a way to automate inhaler production, check out the farming mod. They go around their elbow to get to their rear end on the whole thing, inventing tons of new crops etc instead of just letting you grow mycelia, berries, nuts and mushrooms, but it DOES have a means of automating inhaler production.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Regular (?) reminder that we also have an Awfully Satisfactory Discord chat. Come join us: https://discord.gg/gPgb5HD

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I want to get to ~250 watts of electricity using coal. Can someone point to a calculator that will let me know what to build? I'm terrible at math.....

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mayveena posted:

I want to get to ~250 watts of electricity using coal. Can someone point to a calculator that will let me know what to build? I'm terrible at math.....

each one makes 75 MW so you'll need four of them. Power generators don't communicate this as clearly as building that produce things, but coal power plants consume 15 coal/min and 45 water/min. So you need 60 coal/min and 180 water/min for your needs.

If you want a bit of room to expand, a mk1 miner on a pure coal node (so 120 coal/min) supports 8 coal generators with exactly three water extractors (when not overclocked, they produce 120 water/min each and you need 360/min). There's a bit of a challenge to deal with the water since a single pipe can only carry 300/min and there's no mk2 pipes. But that kind of challenge is presumably what you're on board for

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

each one makes 75 MW so you'll need four of them. Power generators don't communicate this as clearly as building that produce things, but coal power plants consume 15 coal/min and 45 water/min. So you need 60 coal/min and 180 water/min for your needs.

If you want a bit of room to expand, a mk1 miner on a pure coal node (so 120 coal/min) supports 8 coal generators with exactly three water extractors (when not overclocked, they produce 120 water/min each and you need 360/min). There's a bit of a challenge to deal with the water since a single pipe can only carry 300/min and there's no mk2 pipes. But that kind of challenge is presumably what you're on board for

I'm on a normal node so 60 coal a minute? 4 generators?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mayveena posted:

I'm on a normal node so 60 coal a minute? 4 generators?

yeah. This math will apply later if you find a pure node, if you overclock the miner, or if you upgrade to a mk2 miner later.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks!!! Can't wait to never need biofuel again!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mayveena posted:

Thanks!!! Can't wait to never need biofuel again!

I really think that they missed out on introducing fluid handling early by not giving us a structure with a belt input and one or more fluid outputs, and either giving biofuel generators a liquid input option or giving us an alternate version. You'd have to adjust a lot of things around it, but I think being able to belt-feed biofuel, or even just hand-feed a single eight-stack firebox instead of eight one-stack fireboxes, would be a pretty satisfying unlock and another small-medium semi-permanent build one sets up and failure checks before one wanders off on the initial big coal hunt.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there ought to be an early game building with a single liquid input and a single solid output. Like a simpler version of the refinery the way the constructor is a simpler version of an assembler.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I'm thinking about picking up Satisfactory, but I'm wondering if it feels like there's a natural end to it at this point in early access? I've put 200 hours into Oxygen Not Included, and about 60 into Factorio, and I enjoyed them both (ONI more so).

I'm not really interested in building a mega base just for the sake of making it bigger and more perfectly designed. I like when there's a specific goal to work for, like launching the rocket in Factorio, and reaching the temporal tear in ONI. Does Satisfactory have that kind of final goalpost yet? A point where you can say "I've seen what this game is about." I generally avoid early access games, but I really like the factory games so I'm tempted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's plenty of intermediate goals but there's no final goal. Likely won't be until version 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

efficiency is it’s own goal