Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Klyith posted:

Also note that you can tap or hold CTRL while in disassemble mode to deconstruct multiple things at once. Tearing down a factory is easy: just build a tower to get a good vantage and wave your mouse around to do 50 things at once.

Ah drat, didn't even think of that. Same with building? Can I just get on a tower and build around it that way?

BTW, I haven't started building anything vertically, am I missing out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

K8.0 posted:

If you started in the grasslands do yourself a favor and start over.

The game is designed to constantly gently caress you in the rear end and waste your time in unfun ways no matter what you do, the new player experience is terrible, but grasslands is really, really bad and the longer you play there the more you'll regret it.

Is it mostly about the positioning of the cliffs and the mineral nodes? Where would you recommend I start instead?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The dune desert is pretty nice. The limiting factor there is finding plants and food, but you can walk to the nearby forest for that stuff.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

DreadCthulhu posted:

BTW, I haven't started building anything vertically, am I missing out?

There's plenty of horizontal space for anything you could want to build. The advantages of building vertically are mostly aesthetic. You can group constructors into tidy boxes with definite inputs and outputs. You can break a recipe down into a repeatable unit and build several floors of that same unit for more throughput or more power efficiency. You can break a recipe down into different sub-recipes and have each floor make that component in bulk.

If you like driving around in ground vehicles, it's nice to keep buildings off the natural ground roads. If you like trains, a lot of the natural elevated roads need a few pillars to fill in their gaps.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it mostly about the positioning of the cliffs and the mineral nodes? Where would you recommend I start instead?

Grassland: As mentioned it's not actually that great. Almost all the nudes are weak (which isn't a huge deal, just hook up more), there's little to no advanced resources, and the big killer for me: there's really no water except at the coast and a lake to the north.
Rocky Desert: Lots of resources and advanced resources. Like you have just about everything besides Coal, Sulfur, Uranium and Bauxite...and the Coal and Sulfur aren't really that far away either. Lots of water on the coast and in a big central oasis.
Northern Forest: Did you say RESOURCES? You're drowning in pure nodes, a handful of geysers for endless free power in later stages, lots of easy access to drives. But the terrain is a bit rough.
Sandy Desert. Dunes. Boring dunes everywhere. But there's actually a lot more biomass to get started on power than the game likes to pretend, and a decent amount of water. The starting resources are mostly all spread out with little to no convenient clusters though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing the dunes have is flatness. If you go a couple meters above the highest dune, you can build out flat for a long time without hitting anything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

gardening with high explosives is a real pro strat, ngl

I was delighted the first time I drove the explorer and learned it destroys most plants on touch. Quick and painless clifftop clearing.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rynoto posted:

I was delighted the first time I drove the explorer and learned it destroys most plants on touch. Quick and painless clifftop clearing.

Agreed. I was also dismayed when I got a truck and found it did not plow through vegetation despite being much heavier. Between that and the suspension I pretty much discarded trucks for any use but automation; the Explorer remains "the car."

vvvvv: this guy knows what's up.

chairface fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 4, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

idea for mod: bulldozer vehicle that flattens trees and also adds them to your inventory

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wouldn't some kind of thresher be more appropriate?

Bonus points if you can also collect monster bits with it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Of course with threshers you'll need crops, and then automated farming comes into play

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Wouldn't some kind of thresher be more appropriate?

Bonus points if you can also collect monster bits with it.

appropriate, sure, but bulldozer is more fun

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Grasslands is fine if you are happy doing some pretty long distance expansions in the later tiers, and plan out how your logistics will work. Don't build a centralised base.

There's two lakes near the grasslands that will be sufficient until the oil tiers.

Other starting locations are more compact but you will be looking at a desert for almost your entire game.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 4, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

appropriate, sure, but bulldozer is more fun

I feel like when I said "thresher" you maybe pictured a grain harvester.

What I'm imagining, is like, two big spinning spiky horizontal drums on the front a of a big truck. I feel like that would be a kind of Ficsit solution to like, truck-based tree solutions?

I guess what i'm saying is, bulldozers feel like they don't have enough dangerous sharp spinning bits to make it feel like they'll really get those trees.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ah drat, didn't even think of that. Same with building? Can I just get on a tower and build around it that way?

Yep, though when connecting belts and splitters / mergers you kinda have to be down in the guts of things. But for laying down a line of machines, a temporary tower to get overhead view is very helpful. Especially the bigger stuff like coal generators.

And if you ever start doing aesthetic builds where you need to worry about fitting stuff in a particular floorplan or precise placement it's invaluable.

Fangz posted:

Other starting locations are more compact but you will be looking at a desert for almost your entire game.

At least in the deserts you can actually see what you're doing. The thing I hated about building in the North Forest, the supposed "best" starter location, is that you can't see poo poo for more than half the day. It wasn't the uneven ground or tight building spaces, it's the damned fog.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Operating on a single iron miner isn't viable as soon as you get the materials to build & power more than one. There's a reason iron deposits come in clumps of 3-4 (unless you're in the dune desert, in which case there are just a zillion spread around all over).

I got to the final tier off a single pure iron node :ssh:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

So glad they give you the option the disable hold to sprint. My pinky was killing me after a few hours of this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Got my first train line up and running. Those things are cool. Love how apparently the loading stations connect to a similar pocket dimension tech as our inventory for freight canisters, but we can't use it to teleport the equipment.

Oh well, no big loss. Means we get trains! Even if they're rather mediocre trains that just clip through anything they drive though instead of properly smearing players and creatures across the tracks.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, started a little playing Factorio for the first time, some of the QoL stuff just fills me with envy. I wish Satisfactory would emulate a few of its features.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Some of the things are a lot harder to do in Satisfactory considering it's in 3D compared to a 2D tileset. Messier for sure.

Though I do wish for a global production screen that can be pulled up like Factorio's.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Got my first train line up and running. Those things are cool. Love how apparently the loading stations connect to a similar pocket dimension tech as our inventory for freight canisters, but we can't use it to teleport the equipment.

Oh well, no big loss. Means we get trains! Even if they're rather mediocre trains that just clip through anything they drive though instead of properly smearing players and creatures across the tracks.

Trains are great! It felt so good to find a natural route that let me thread a rail line up to the big central mountain plateau, and I really love the station animations.

Still, it feels like there's a lot of early-access shortcuts in them. There's no rail supports; the track just floats there if it's not half buried in the ground, and the trains have no collision with each other - and I'm not sure how well the rails would work with the map if they did, since getting even a single rail track through the environment can be very awkward, let alone two. I look forward to seeing how these things get resolved eventually.

Regarding map choices I'd argue against the apparent thread opinion and say Grasslands is the best start for a new player. Because you need to go out and explore the world and the grasslands forces you to do that. If you've already played the game before and know its layouts and such, then sure, rocky desert is the best all-rounder start, but otherwise the different starts all have qualities that affect how you play them and Grasslands is the one that teaches you how to play Satisfactory rather than 3D Factorio.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Trains are great! It felt so good to find a natural route that let me thread a rail line up to the big central mountain plateau, and I really love the station animations.

Still, it feels like there's a lot of early-access shortcuts in them. There's no rail supports; the track just floats there if it's not half buried in the ground, and the trains have no collision with each other - and I'm not sure how well the rails would work with the map if they did, since getting even a single rail track through the environment can be very awkward, let alone two. I look forward to seeing how these things get resolved eventually.

Regarding map choices I'd argue against the apparent thread opinion and say Grasslands is the best start for a new player. Because you need to go out and explore the world and the grasslands forces you to do that. If you've already played the game before and know its layouts and such, then sure, rocky desert is the best all-rounder start, but otherwise the different starts all have qualities that affect how you play them and Grasslands is the one that teaches you how to play Satisfactory rather than 3D Factorio.

Track supports: Have you tried using the pillar foundations to make yourself some monorail platforms? You'll still get some silly looking wibble-wobble back and forth but you'll have elevated tracks and semi-decent looking pilars.

As for the map choice, I just feel that the grassland is a bit of a dick move once you move into or past coal and steel due to everything being so absent. Heck, even a single impure quartz node would make me rank it way up there just for electronics and/or early access to the map and dune buggies.

I do have an idea to do a mad setup making a grassland base where everything is delivered by tractors/explorers/trucks. Just a big truck-stop hoovering up resources from around the world. Even oil and water delivered in containers! But for now I'm getting my Satisfactory itch scratched in a multiplayer game and...well trains are literally the only vehicle that works in mulitplayer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Coal for steel is like right there just south of the big basin most people build in. Just a string of iron nodes and coal nodes next to the abyss.

Coal near water is a little further through some hills and trees but you get to a lake that will support a really beefy coal system.

Grasslands is fine. So is rock desert. If you can't resist home running everything immediately to a central base you're going to like rock desert a little more once you need quartz and oil. But for what you need quartz and oil for, you don't really need it at home base until you have computers anyway so grasslands is still fine if you build distributedly, ferry products around in your inventory or car, and link up with rail later.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alkydere posted:

But for now I'm getting my Satisfactory itch scratched in a multiplayer game and...well trains are literally the only vehicle that works in mulitplayer.

What doesn't work with vehicles? My friend and I have had no problems with cars, other than twice when they've clipped through the world. But that was when they were parked, and I'm pretty one of those happened when I was playing solo.

(Both times the cars were kinda under a thing -- a tractor I had parked up against our space elevator in a spot where the elevator base was overhanging it, and my friend's explorer was parked under an elevated rail line. OTOH I've had a truck parked in a little garage building for a long time and it's not fallen under the world, that has much less headroom than the rail line did. So foundations seem to be key to preventing vehicles from falling through the ground.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Klyith posted:

What doesn't work with vehicles? My friend and I have had no problems with cars, other than twice when they've clipped through the world. But that was when they were parked, and I'm pretty one of those happened when I was playing solo.

(Both times the cars were kinda under a thing -- a tractor I had parked up against our space elevator in a spot where the elevator base was overhanging it, and my friend's explorer was parked under an elevated rail line. OTOH I've had a truck parked in a little garage building for a long time and it's not fallen under the world, that has much less headroom than the rail line did. So foundations seem to be key to preventing vehicles from falling through the ground.)

With me and my friends every time someone who isn't host gets into a vehicle horrible desyncs happen. Bad enough that I haven't dared trying out if autopilot stuff works out in multiplayer.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alkydere posted:

With me and my friends every time someone who isn't host gets into a vehicle horrible desyncs happen. Bad enough that I haven't dared trying out if autopilot stuff works out in multiplayer.

Autopilot is probably more likely to work in multiplayer, since if the car is off-screen it's entirely abstracted anyway and even when it isn't there's no question of what the driver is doing vs what the host thinks is happening.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DreadCthulhu posted:

drat, preparing the first payload for the space elevator takes forever. I suspect that operating on one single iron extractor by tier 3 is no longer feasible, huh?

The factory must expand, in order to meet the needs of the expanding factory.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

idea for mod: bulldozer vehicle that flattens trees and also adds them to your inventory

Satisfactory: Reverse Fern Gully

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

Satisfactory: Reverse Fern Gully

:hai:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Mod: Replace the alien bee things with fairies that attack you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alkydere posted:

You all using Ultra network setting? Once we switched to Ultra the desyncs and other network badness was pretty well solved.

OTOH I'm only playing with 1 other person. Another friend of ours saw us playing on steam and bought the game, but as soon as he joined the game started crashing every 15-20 minutes whatever the network settings were.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I haven’t played since it came out for the first time and man this feels like a different game.
Are there any good resources I can use for base planning and organization.
I think the hardest part about this game is knowing how to physically place your production lines, having the room to build them and then having to tear things down and re organize in order to scale up.

Do you guys do a main bus layout or something different?

I thought about doing a grasslands start just to come up with elaborate freight networks but I have no idea if it’ll work properly or if my tractors will just roll over and be unable to get back up again.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kraftwerk posted:

I haven’t played since it came out for the first time and man this feels like a different game.
Are there any good resources I can use for base planning and organization.
I think the hardest part about this game is knowing how to physically place your production lines, having the room to build them and then having to tear things down and re organize in order to scale up.

Do you guys do a main bus layout or something different?

I thought about doing a grasslands start just to come up with elaborate freight networks but I have no idea if it’ll work properly or if my tractors will just roll over and be unable to get back up again.

If you want a million billion words about how some guy thinks Satisfactory works best with respect to building design, I have a huge post for you!

I've actually read all of that, and it's... fine...? There are a lot of good design principles in there, but man it is wordy. It certainly makes me feel better about how goony I'm not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like you can't really main bus in this game like you do in Factorio because belts really just don't have the capacity, and node clusters are too far apart.

It's also not very easy to scale up input so it seems better to try to be slightly precise with your ratios, at least early on?

Things to consider for scaling up: Maybe plan, like, one "mark" ahead? Mk1 miners do 30/60/120 and Mk2 do 60/120/240, and you can always overclock. So if you're putting down 2 smelters for 1 miner, leave room for 4 smelters so you can scale up later when you're able to replace with a mk2 miner or overclock & also have the belt capacity to support it.

You can also always expand vertically.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Synastren posted:

If you want a million billion words about how some guy thinks Satisfactory works best with respect to building design, I have a huge post for you!

I've actually read all of that, and it's... fine...? There are a lot of good design principles in there, but man it is wordy. It certainly makes me feel better about how goony I'm not.

The joke is that that page is written in the style of the Design Patterns book and very much also approaches the game as a software development project, including using various computer science terms.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Synastren posted:

A lot of that looks cool but very intimidating. I'm having some trouble parsing all that and it makes the game feel like a software engineering job rather than a fun game where you produce things and grow exponentially... But I suppose that's the point, it's a form of visual, fun object oriented programming where you are inside the program physically interacting with things. Not so helpful if you suck at programming or barely got through the basic logic/algorithm stuff they teach you in high school.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I always try and plan my stuff around the assumption that I have 270 units/minute capacity, because T3 belts are the easiest to set and forget and have decent capacity, and you get them relatively early. T4 belts are easy enough too, but they're further down the line and I don't want to wait until that point to start scaling.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Interesting guide, but not for me. My factories don't get built, they metastasize. Current project is a supercomputer factory and it's almost done :toot:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The only thing that's important is that the foundations align.

The grid is everything and everything is grid

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Some of the advice in that article is a little dubious, like insisting on distinct trains and platforms for every resource - station platforms are massive, much more complicated to fit a large number of them into a factory structure than a sorting array of smart splitters. It depends on your personal tolerance for keeping track of product flows in your head (if you're mixing trains) vs laying out hundreds and hundreds of foundations and walls (if you're not).

Size and scale are one of the design challenges to work around in Satisfactory. A lot of your processing and logistics gets very big, just on the level of the individual buildings, putting an extra constraint on your factory design to use space efficiently to fit into the terrain and around your logistics routes. It's what makes power shards useful - they allow you to cut down on footprint at the cost of energy.

It's kind of an unfortunate design flaw of the game that this scale problem has a naive solution of "just build a hundred million foundations in the sky", letting you solve your problem with tedium rather than challenge. But on the other hand, it's not hard to avoid doing that either if you don't want to, so I guess it's fine as an alternative strategy for people who want to use their Factorio design principles instead. It does make me worry if area-fill and blueprints might end up trivialising the space challenge, though, by letting you easily put your whole factory in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sereri posted:

The only thing that's important is that the foundations align.

The grid is everything and everything is grid

I would really love to see some sort of variable-angle foundations so I can connect my disparate factories into one gigantic contiguous grid.