Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
maybe a larger pipe system that requires adaptors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hydro power from these plentiful gorgeous waterfalls WHEN; give me a way to encase them in concrete and exploit them

Also I just found Rubberized Concrete and can anyone give me a use case for this utter bullshit?!

On the other hand, I picked up Bio-Coal a couple of days ago, which lets me turn Alien Carapaces into electricity, steel, OR gunpowder

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Some of the alternate recipes are just bafflingly useless like that. Usually the ones involving rubber or plastic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Demon_Corsair posted:

I definitely agree with the sentiment of getting smaller trains earlier. But I'm also fed up with trucks. For some reason sometimes they just stop picking stuff up and just drive until they run out a fuel. I have a truck on a short route bringing coal to my steel plant. And every couple hours I need to go find it because it has ran out of fuel at some point.

What's a truck?

Maybe this won't be ideal once I finish the third phase of space elevator deliveries, but I have everything coming in to this central storage location by a conveyor belt abomination that spreads out to every type of mineral deposit on the map. Not sure I recommend it, quartz and oil deposits were each about 2km away from this location and setting up multi-story conveyor belts to run that far is extremely tedious. I've researched trucks and trains but haven't actually used either yet, maybe once I move on to making a centralized production facility rather than the scattering of sites I've built next to each resource patch.

Finished this 12x3 coal generator plant last night and now I should have plenty of capacity for when I unlock the final production tiers. There's probably a way of optimizing the coal feeding/water piping more than this but it's still a lot neater than the first plant I made.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Voxx posted:

my body (of water) is ready.

you can see at the bottom there where it goes from "i need some water" toi "i need all the water that exists"

I'm still like 30,000m3/minute short.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

One tiny little QoL feature I will always want is the ability to hook splitters directly to the output of a machine/cargo container and mergers to the input. That little fiddly bit of belt you have to deal with has driven me crazy more times than I can count.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Voxx posted:

pipes are pretty thick already, I wouldn't want increased diameter pipes, especially with how the foundation snapping system works. or if they were thicker, they'd have to carry a totally silly m3/m amount.

lagidnam posted:

He also talks about design decisions, that they believe night is an issue (too many complains)

It's like, night is really great for atmosphere and threat while exploring, and really sucks while building stuff and you can't see poo poo.

IMO the best answer is buildable lights to solve the second problem, and a passive game mode to solve the issue of people who don't like being threatened. But I can see why they're leaving lights until fairly late in the dev process because that's a legit difficult performance issue. Right now their "official" minimum specs are fairly high, with their GPU being a GTX770. You can play the game on much lower spec PCs than that, and I think plenty of people are. If they go ham with dynamic lights there will be unhappy people who can't play the game anymore.

The mod that adds lights has a really short draw distance on the light effect, it's kinda lackluster.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished this 12x3 coal generator plant last night and now I should have plenty of capacity for when I unlock the final production tiers. There's probably a way of optimizing the coal feeding/water piping more than this but it's still a lot neater than the first plant I made.

Well, the simple optimization is that each pipeline can carry 300 m3/m and a fluid extractor generates 120 m3 water/m, so you can at the very least put 2 extractors on each pipe.

A really common thing is to put 3 extractors on each pipe and underclock them so they're producing 100 m3/m each, because that means building fewer pipelines and saves about 5 mw of power per extractor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Klyith posted:

pipes are pretty thick already, I wouldn't want increased diameter pipes, especially with how the foundation snapping system works. or if they were thicker, they'd have to carry a totally silly m3/m amount.

The area of a circle increases exponentially with the radius. a 50cm radius pipe like we have is 0.79m3 a 1 meter radius pipe would be 3.14m3, a 2m radius pipe would fit 2 to a foundation square, and be 12.57m3 or nearly 16 times the current pipe.

So a MkII pipe could theoretically carry 4800 m3/minute which is reasonable.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Klyith posted:

But I can see why they're leaving lights until fairly late in the dev process because that's a legit difficult performance issue. Right now their "official" minimum specs are fairly high, with their GPU being a GTX770. You can play the game on much lower spec PCs than that, and I think plenty of people are. If they go ham with dynamic lights there will be unhappy people who can't play the game anymore.

The 7xx series is 7 years old. It actually predates the PS4 and XBONE by like 6 months. For a game that isn't even released yet, that sounds like a perfectly acceptable minimum standard to me?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

The area of a circle increases exponentially with the radius. a 50cm radius pipe like we have is 0.79m3 a 1 meter radius pipe would be 3.14m3, a 2m radius pipe would fit 2 to a foundation square, and be 12.57m3 or nearly 16 times the current pipe.

Quadratically :eng101:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powershift posted:

Yep, a 4800 m3/m pipe is a silly amount! But it's good for the mega-base builders so that's cool.

Also I'm imagining that one of the connections between 2m pipes and 1/2m pipes being a big end-plate with like 9 pipe connectors on it so you can just make a giant pipe-octopus.

Synastren posted:

The 7xx series is 7 years old. It actually predates the PS4 and XBONE by like 6 months. For a game that isn't even released yet, that sounds like a perfectly acceptable minimum standard to me?

It's high by the standards of indie games, which tend to set a low bar to have the largest possible audience. A roughly comparable game visually is no man's sky, only needs a GTX 480. And games of these more casual-friendly nature have a lot more people who aren't hardcore gamers and may be using 7 year old PCs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a 770 as the minimum spec, and as I said the game does work ok on a below-minimum system. (My friend is using a radeon 5850, with is like 10 years old.) But introduce dynamic lights that the player can build by the dozen, and that minimum will need to get a *lot* higher.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO that’s a fine min spec. Devs should try as hard as they can to get poo poo to run on intel onboard video but that’s obviously not possible with this game.

After playing a lot of Kenshi and Kerbal Space Program I’m pretty impressed by how fast and stable Satisfactory is on my setup (nvidia 1060, haswell i5, 8gb ram, Samsung 850 ssd)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just unlocked the train, kinda disappointed I can't have 1 rail with a locomotive at each end to just go back and forth. It is definitely nice to be able to get to my oil island and bring all the plastic, rubber and circuit boards to my main factory.

Also I did some exploring looking for a quartz node, and holy poo poo they're the worst. I'm on the 1st map, the "recommended for new players" one and the closest quartz node is basically the highest point on the map with a long rear end spiral path to get to it. How necessary is the quartz research tree?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have a computer for gaming, it will have at least a 770 in it. You can get one for 60 dollars.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

A Moose posted:

I just unlocked the train, kinda disappointed I can't have 1 rail with a locomotive at each end to just go back and forth. It is definitely nice to be able to get to my oil island and bring all the plastic, rubber and circuit boards to my main factory.

Also I did some exploring looking for a quartz node, and holy poo poo they're the worst. I'm on the 1st map, the "recommended for new players" one and the closest quartz node is basically the highest point on the map with a long rear end spiral path to get to it. How necessary is the quartz research tree?

You can have a double headed train on a single line, you just have to point the stations in the appropriate directions.

There's only one map, the different options are just for different starting positions. Assuming you're coming from the grasslands, the quartz is not up high, it is down low. There's a large lake roughly north of the grasslands start, over a natural bridge and then down into a valley. Go north along that valley and you'll get to the quartz easily, just keep pinging.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I believe I’m familiar with that Quartz node; I remember finding one like that which is also covered by a destructible boulder, early enough that I had never yet made gunpowder. DEEPLY frustrating moment.

I’ve found generally that one miner feeding assemblers and a can is enough to handle Quartz until you need extra Silica for Aluminum; I just tube out with inventory space and tube back to toss it into holding cans at home, and handcraft Oscillators until I unlock Manufacturers. Then I just hook up input but no output conveyors; no need to have a can of Oscillators lying around waiting so it can just sip off of my mall supplies of reinforced plates and cable.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm starting to think that building a decent staircase is the hardest design challenge in this game.

Edit: Why the gently caress do spiral staircases not line up with wall heights?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 6, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

Quartz has the in-game map (useful) and the explorer car (fun as heck), and after that stuff that isn't useful until late game. And the explorer also required heavy modular frames so it's difficult to get early. [spoiler]unless you know where to get heavy modular frames from a few of the crash sites[spoiler]

You don't need a lot to get the important stuff. Take some portable miners and bring back 8 stacks of quartz.

And if you think that's bad, you should see the rocky desert (start #2). There's quartz relatively close, but it's behind boulders in caves that are full of poison. Our first expedition to find it we got to the location and it wasn't there at all, and we were pretty stumped until my buddy accidentally clipped his head into a wall and said "there are all caves below us".

LonsomeSon posted:

I believe I’m familiar with that Quartz node; I remember finding one like that which is also covered by a destructible boulder, early enough that I had never yet made gunpowder. DEEPLY frustrating moment.

A trick I didn't know until more recently is that you can stick portable miners on the nodes that have boulders on them. For quartz and caterium where you just want 1 inventory load of ore at first, that's enough.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: Why the gently caress do spiral staircases not line up with wall heights?
they do, they're 2m high each and the walls are 4m. if two stairs aren't lining up, your wall is uneven with the floor.

but stairs do suck, ramp paths made with the walkway pieces are much nicer. less turning as you go up, rails on each side so you don't fall off. just needs a bigger footprint.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 6, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

It's high by the standards of indie games, which tend to set a low bar to have the largest possible audience. A roughly comparable game visually is no man's sky, only needs a GTX 480. And games of these more casual-friendly nature have a lot more people who aren't hardcore gamers and may be using 7 year old PCs.
Sure, if you're talking about the world without any buildings in it. NMS was also designed to run on consoles.

Now, add in 200 assemblers on your screen (and all the materials on the belts), that's a lot more polygons to render. Plus, I think this game still has CPU issues more than GPU at the higher end - the same issue early Factorio had where it's doing too many individual collision calculations on belts that could possibly be optimised further. I'm just basing this on the megabases where even occluding the whole thing with opaque walls isn't enough to keep the frame rate high.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Klyith posted:

Quartz has the in-game map (useful) and the explorer car (fun as heck), and after that stuff that isn't useful until late game. And the explorer also required heavy modular frames so it's difficult to get early. [spoiler]unless you know where to get heavy modular frames from a few of the crash sites[spoiler]

You don't need a lot to get the important stuff. Take some portable miners and bring back 8 stacks of quartz.

And if you think that's bad, you should see the rocky desert (start #2). There's quartz relatively close, but it's behind boulders in caves that are full of poison. Our first expedition to find it we got to the location and it wasn't there at all, and we were pretty stumped until my buddy accidentally clipped his head into a wall and said "there are all caves below us".

A trick I didn't know until more recently is that you can stick portable miners on the nodes that have boulders on them. For quartz and caterium where you just want 1 inventory load of ore at first, that's enough.

they do, they're 2m high each and the walls are 4m. if two stairs aren't lining up, your wall is uneven with the floor.

but stairs do suck, ramp paths made with the walkway pieces are much nicer. less turning as you go up, rails on each side so you don't fall off. just needs a bigger footprint.

Yea, I was trying to build up by using walls as my height guide, and it seems like a wall at the top of a wall isn't the same height as just the walls? Its weird, it was one 1m short of where it should have been.

I'll have to try that. I've been building the spriral stairs in a glass case with a pillar in the middle, so no where to fall out/off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can mess things up because there are two ways you can attach floors to the wall. You can just build walls up and then place floors in between wall sections that will put the floor at one height. Then you can built a wall, place a floor at the top of it, and then build another wall on that. That places the floor at a different height and leaves gaps in the walls when you look at it from outside. That second method seems unintentional and maybe they should get rid of it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demon_Corsair posted:

Yea, I was trying to build up by using walls as my height guide, and it seems like a wall at the top of a wall isn't the same height as just the walls? Its weird, it was one 1m short of where it should have been.

I'm guessing you accidentally targeted a floor instead of stacking walls on walls and there's a little overlap or gap somewhere.

e:

Cojawfee posted:

You can mess things up because there are two ways you can attach floors to the wall. You can just build walls up and then place floors in between wall sections that will put the floor at one height. Then you can built a wall, place a floor at the top of it, and then build another wall on that. That places the floor at a different height and leaves gaps in the walls when you look at it from outside. That second method seems unintentional and maybe they should get rid of it.

nah either way can be useful, and if you want walls to be the main structure then just build the walls first. then attach floors to the walls. they'll always line up with the top of a foundation at the top edge of a wall piece, meaning further walls will line up with the existing wall whichever you target.

OTOH I am constantly doing odd things with unusual heights and floors that aren't contiguous heights, and I really depend on walls being as they are. they can overlap / clip into each other just fine, the model doesn't do z-fighting like the foundations do if you overlap them.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 6, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Mark 3 belts are not great for a central truck depot. The trucks have overloaded all the depots since nothing can get emptied out as fast as its put in by new trucks.

I'm thinking all my trucks are going to have to sit for several minutes at their loading sites just to let the depot clear.

E: Why does trying to do anything fancy with trucks always backfire? My trucks occasional run out of fuel because I have 2 trucks hitting the same coal depots, and apparently they arrive at the same time often on that one never gets any fuel and dies on the middle of the road.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 7, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

trucks are a failed technology

dehumanize yourself and face to the 1,400m belt

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LonsomeSon posted:

trucks are a failed technology

dehumanize yourself and face to the 1,400m belt

if only the world was all conveyors

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

if only the world was all conveyors

With gumption and Ficsit ingenuity, you can make it happen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have over 400km of belts, including 24 lanes coming from the swamp to the beginner starting area. I needed the throughput to be a known known for.....a reason

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: Why does trying to do anything fancy with trucks always backfire? My trucks occasional run out of fuel because I have 2 trucks hitting the same coal depots, and apparently they arrive at the same time often on that one never gets any fuel and dies on the middle of the road.

If multiple trucks are picking up loads from one depot, you could back it with a storage box to have a bigger buffer for that uneven draw. Remember that a mk2 miner on a pure node is only producing 2 and a half stacks a minute, and trucks deal in whole stacks. OTOH you're still limited by the single input + the highest mk belt you have, so that's the limit to how much stuff you can send.

And another thing you can do with coal/fuel trucks specifically is at the destination depot, split off some of the incoming coal back into the fuel slot for that depot. The fuel slot refuels a vehicle even when the depot is set to unload. That way your trucks are getting topped off at both ends. On the supply side I'd use a smart splitter in a multi-truck depot so the fuel slot gets priority.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just got my space elevator and chainsaw and I feel like I’m going to ruin this planet.

Realising that the better conveyer belts need reinforced plates and also getting the smart plates for the space elevator has me with a few iron ore patches doing plates rods and screws, I’ve got another two iron ore patches running into an assembly doing reinforced plates that hooks to another two patches doing rotors to assemble the smart plates.

I feel like I need regular plates abd rods for everything but this feels so inefficient. Do you eventually move past the need for normal plates rods etc or should I be say, splitting them at the source now and instead of one ore plot making makes, have it splitting and making multiple things?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You will need thousands of iron plates and iron rods per second, eventually.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Christ. Better look for more iron :/

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Don't forget to shove power cores into your miners. Those will let you get much more output out of any node as long as your belts can keep up.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The big thing you're going to need is screws. You're going to need about 2 iron nodes just pumping out iron rods to turn into screws because everything is parts made with screws combined with more screws to make a new part.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Getting the alternate recipes for screws from hard drives is lovely for simplifying your production chains. Especially the steel screws recipe that cranks out hundreds. HD hunts are worth their time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teacup posted:

Christ. Better look for more iron :/

You can't throw a rock without hitting an iron deposit most places. When you're setting up a new factory, produce the iron stuff you need locally because it's literally everywhere.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Tragedy has struck in a game I'm playing with a friend: we've been building a megabase over the void to the south of the beginner starting plains in order to have the footprint of our megabase not be over any actual land - everything was going fine until last night when I was expanding our base further to the south I started to take death plane tick damage. Unfortunately, the south is the ONLY direction the base was built to be expanded so without major surgery we've built ourselves into a corner. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be super relieved. Idk if there is a mod to turn off these vertical death planes or if such a mod would even help (i.e. how much further can I build before hitting an actual game-engine limit) - I do recall seeing someone on youtube use a mod where you can copy + paste base patterns - would such a mod be able to help me rotate and move my base elsewhere so that it can be expanded further?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Klyith posted:

If multiple trucks are picking up loads from one depot, you could back it with a storage box to have a bigger buffer for that uneven draw. Remember that a mk2 miner on a pure node is only producing 2 and a half stacks a minute, and trucks deal in whole stacks. OTOH you're still limited by the single input + the highest mk belt you have, so that's the limit to how much stuff you can send.

And another thing you can do with coal/fuel trucks specifically is at the destination depot, split off some of the incoming coal back into the fuel slot for that depot. The fuel slot refuels a vehicle even when the depot is set to unload. That way your trucks are getting topped off at both ends. On the supply side I'd use a smart splitter in a multi-truck depot so the fuel slot gets priority.

I think its less a flow problem and more that if a second truck pulls up while another truck is loading/unloading the second truck doesn't trigger the truck stop. So if the second truck is low on fuel it won't get any even if the fuel slot on the truck stop is full.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Super Rad posted:

Tragedy has struck in a game I'm playing with a friend: we've been building a megabase over the void to the south of the beginner starting plains in order to have the footprint of our megabase not be over any actual land - everything was going fine until last night when I was expanding our base further to the south I started to take death plane tick damage. Unfortunately, the south is the ONLY direction the base was built to be expanded so without major surgery we've built ourselves into a corner. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be super relieved. Idk if there is a mod to turn off these vertical death planes or if such a mod would even help (i.e. how much further can I build before hitting an actual game-engine limit) - I do recall seeing someone on youtube use a mod where you can copy + paste base patterns - would such a mod be able to help me rotate and move my base elsewhere so that it can be expanded further?

To my knowledge there isn’t a mod which will let you pick up, rotate, and set down the thousands of objects and connections which form your base.

On the other hand, y’all can build a roof over it, put the rest of the base on the second floor, and rectify the supply connections between the two levels by clusterfuck and brute force!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super Rad posted:

My megabase is in the same spot. I'm building outwards from the edge rather than middle-out. it gets worse because the edge of the map cuts off the corner of the map, as well.

You can try moving it with SCIM. https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

Back up your save, import it in the top left there, then click the rectangle tool on the left side of the map screen, select the base and change the offset or rotate it. Then download that new save and load it up to see if it hosed things up or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

LonsomeSon posted:

To my knowledge there isn’t a mod which will let you pick up, rotate, and set down the thousands of objects and connections which form your base.

On the other hand, y’all can build a roof over it, put the rest of the base on the second floor, and rectify the supply connections between the two levels by clusterfuck and brute force!

Ouch, obviously vertical building entered my mind but the base is already very vertical (current oil stack is already like 100m tall and that's just 1 pipeline for power, I was planning on adding 2 pipelines for plastic + rubber on top of them). I think I'm just gonna have to pin all my hopes on the Area Actions mod to do a lot of the heavy lifting or I will just have to abandon this game, it's too painful to think of all the time I sunk to just start over.

Powershift posted:

My megabase is in the same spot. I'm building outwards from the edge rather than middle-out. it gets worse because the edge of the map cuts off the corner of the map, as well.

You can try moving it with SCIM. https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

Back up your save, import it in the top left there, then click the rectangle tool on the left side of the map screen, select the base and change the offset or rotate it. Then download that new save and load it up to see if it hosed things up or not.

Thank you!! I'll check out that feature too!