Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For reference, this is a map someone did where they charted out the death walls:

So you could potentially just shift to the big gap east of the grasslands.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think its less a flow problem and more that if a second truck pulls up while another truck is loading/unloading the second truck doesn't trigger the truck stop. So if the second truck is low on fuel it won't get any even if the fuel slot on the truck stop is full.

Oooh, interesting. Right, the depot only interacts with one truck at a time.

Let's see, there are two ways to cover that. The simple and weak way is that you give the truck with the longer route a longer pause at the station, with the idea that it will still get filled even if the other one is there first, and a shorter route might survive missing one fuel load. Or the better & more complicated way is that you look at the map screen with a stopwatch and time how long each truck's trip takes. Then add a pause such that the two trips have an even ratio and will not overlap.

Or just add more depots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Klyith posted:

For reference, this is a map someone did where they charted out the death walls:

That's neat, I would ride that conveyor.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Klyith posted:

Thanks for this, it'll help as I expand in the future.

Quoting you again since this is how I ended up salvaging the save! Naturally my friend who was the one who laid the foundation did not align it with the cardinal directions so the megabasectomy was a little messier than it needed to be but long story short the base is now sitting in a much better location and should have plenty of room to grow - it's also now in a location where expanding in a second direction could actually make sense.

If anyone else should run into a similar issue at some point one tip I'd like to propose is to disconnect all belts/pipes/power going in to whatever you are moving *in-game* and then save prior to working in SCIM. SCIM is incredible (I actually ended up donating 5 euro to the site since I was so grateful), but it did create some magic pipes/belts that are connected through time and space as well as one cable that is approximately 10x as long as is possible. Otherwise though it was truly flawless and the magic belts were easily fixed by simply deleting them and hooking them back up as I had intended.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I regret trying a distributed game. My central hub/mall has ground to a halt because mk3 belts cannot keep up with 6 trucks bringing in various items from my factories. And I haven't even finished adding in all the steel products.

I have no idea how to fix this log jam and get stuff moving. Short of just stopping trucks for stuff that I don't really need right now.

It seems like the only way to play this game is hundreds of KMs of conveyors or spending half your time running around the world to get the items you need.

E: For reasons I don't understand my mk3 elevators merging into a mk3 belt keep backing up and I can't figure out why. I have removed adn replaced all the belts multiple times so there isn't a stray mk1 hiding somewhere.

Or I just abandon smart splitters and do 1 truck stop per product. Which would already be 20 truck stops and I haven't even touched oil or manufactories yet.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 8, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdlZ6e_o5Q
I guess they're adding a fluid packaging machine with the fluid update?

I haven't really played a lot in the oil tier, but I guess the idea is currently you use refineries to pack fluids, and this is splitting that off?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Oxyclean posted:

I haven't really played a lot in the oil tier, but I guess the idea is currently you use refineries to pack fluids, and this is splitting that off?

It would make sense to split it off because refineries do so much right now.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I always thought that using a refinery for a rudimentary bottling plant seemed like a waste. There are at least two mods of the game that are just for adding bottling plants so it was obviously a popular request.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Refineries do so much because they're currently one of the only buildings that have belt and pipe input and output.

Like they wanted/needed to expand the tech tree but didn't have the models setup yet, so just shoved it into the refinery building. Makes sense.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Refineries are expensive for just being a packing plant: High build cost, high energy usage, high physical footprint.
I wonder if they'll do an unpacking plant, or if this thing goes both ways (nice) even though it's called a Pak-it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also wonder if this would get added in earlier in the tech tree (namely at coal & water pump) to provide flexibility for setting up coal power?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tranten posted:

Refineries are expensive for just being a packing plant: High build cost, high energy usage, high physical footprint.
I wonder if they'll do an unpacking plant, or if this thing goes both ways (nice) even though it's called a Pak-it.

looks like it has both belt and pipe on the output side so I would be shocked if it didnt do both.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I also wonder if this would get added in earlier in the tech tree (namely at coal & water pump) to provide flexibility for setting up coal power?

Oooh.

Except... canisters require oil.

And mk3 belts cannot haul many cubic meters of packaged water per minute.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally managed to complete the last space elevator delivery the other night, turns out making aluminum is a whole lot more complicated than I was expecting. Is the common thing to take the excess water from the aluminum scrap refineries and loop it back into the water intake for the initial bauxite solution refineries or should I route it elsewhere for residual plastic production or something else? It seems like looping should work as long as the game knows to prioritize water intake from the excess pipes instead of drawing more from the pumps. If it doesn't I'm worried the whole system will get backed up with excess water that can't go anywhere and grind everything to a halt. I assume you can't just dump the excess water back into the ocean.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finally managed to complete the last space elevator delivery the other night, turns out making aluminum is a whole lot more complicated than I was expecting. Is the common thing to take the excess water from the aluminum scrap refineries and loop it back into the water intake for the initial bauxite solution refineries or should I route it elsewhere for residual plastic production or something else? It seems like looping should work as long as the game knows to prioritize water intake from the excess pipes instead of drawing more from the pumps. If it doesn't I'm worried the whole system will get backed up with excess water that can't go anywhere and grind everything to a halt. I assume you can't just dump the excess water back into the ocean.

I set up a larger system using 15 refineries for aluma, 10 for scrap. 10 refineries producing scrap = 300 water output, 4 refineries producing aluma = 300 water input, everything is flowing perfectly but i still get excess water.

It's best to have a fluid buffer for overflow that you can flush from time to time because even what should be a perfect system seems to produce excess simply through rounding errors or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Pipes don't have priorities, but head lift does. The other way besides Powershift's example of splitting things up to balance waste production & consumption is to do make head lift do it for you.

Place a buffer tank such that the height midpoint is [12m / 22m] above the [extractor / pump] that is supplying fresh water. Now your fresh water is limited to filling ~50% of the tank. Now place the refineries, or use pumps on their output, such that they have lift to the very top of the tank. Now your waste water effectively has control over the system, when it fills the tank above the midline it turns off the fresh water supply. When the refineries that consume water use up that excess they'll drain the buffer below 50% and turn on the extractors again.

The advantage with head lift is that it's arbitrarily expandable because you don't care about strict ratios.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I regret trying a distributed game. My central hub/mall has ground to a halt because mk3 belts cannot keep up with 6 trucks bringing in various items from my factories. And I haven't even finished adding in all the steel products.

I have no idea how to fix this log jam and get stuff moving. Short of just stopping trucks for stuff that I don't really need right now.

It seems like the only way to play this game is hundreds of KMs of conveyors or spending half your time running around the world to get the items you need.

E: For reasons I don't understand my mk3 elevators merging into a mk3 belt keep backing up and I can't figure out why. I have removed adn replaced all the belts multiple times so there isn't a stray mk1 hiding somewhere.

Or I just abandon smart splitters and do 1 truck stop per product. Which would already be 20 truck stops and I haven't even touched oil or manufactories yet.

What are you actually doing with all this stuff? Because a storage hub does not need 400 item/minute input. It only needs to supply enough for you to build anything you want to build. For most items that's 2-5 stacks, and then you'll be off building for the next few hours. All you need is to replenish that much stuff. (Concrete you might need a dozen stacks or more, but limestone is literally everywhere so just toss down a basic miner & constructors to make it near where you're building.)

Anything in excess should go to the resource sink, and that's most effective to do at the point of production. When your trucks can't drop off their full load, it all backs up at the source depot -- so put an overflow splitter and a sink there.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

"There is no mk2."

:smith:

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I had this issue and the solution was to add a single unpowered pump to act as a check valve from the discharge.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Back Hack posted:

"There is no mk2."

:smith:

It's smaller & uses less power than the refinery, so it's pretty much a refinery mk2 to begin with.

The big question is whether they'll put the Diluted Packaged Fuel recipe in the new packer or keep it in the refinery. I could see keeping it on the refinery since it's such a powerful recipe. Even then you still eliminate 2 out of the 3 refineries in that process.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks can anyone steer me to a guide, video or written, on how to set up an organized base? Mine always come out as spaghetti and I’m tired of that. Thanks for any assistance.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks can anyone steer me to a guide, video or written, on how to set up an organized base? Mine always come out as spaghetti and I’m tired of that. Thanks for any assistance.

There's a lot of stuff on Youtube if you want video formats. A few of those folks compiled their video guides alongside some written info and screenshots here: https://www.satisfactorytips.com/

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mayveena posted:

There's no such thing as an organized base, unfortunately

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Learn to hide the spaghetti conveyor belts behind walls and in the floors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats this concept of "organized base" :confused:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Leal posted:

Whats this concept of "organized base" :confused:

Dunno, but I've been watching the "Let's Game it Out" videos for Satisfactory on Youtube and I'm learning a lot about optimization.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I liked when Josh said he was doing Satisfactory their reply was just “gently caress”

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Alclad plating/circuit board facility is finally done. Thanks to Unponderable for the unpowered directional pump trick, the whole array doesn't really work without it. Only 3/4 of the oil wells are running but adding more to this doesn't seem necessary at the moment. Close to my ~6 GW grid capacity so I think the next thing to work towards will be a train system between the major areas and a turbo fuel facility.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 10, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Klyith posted:

What are you actually doing with all this stuff? Because a storage hub does not need 400 item/minute input. It only needs to supply enough for you to build anything you want to build. For most items that's 2-5 stacks, and then you'll be off building for the next few hours. All you need is to replenish that much stuff. (Concrete you might need a dozen stacks or more, but limestone is literally everywhere so just toss down a basic miner & constructors to make it near where you're building.)

Anything in excess should go to the resource sink, and that's most effective to do at the point of production. When your trucks can't drop off their full load, it all backs up at the source depot -- so put an overflow splitter and a sink there.

My goal for this base was to have all my factories distributed and feeding a central hub. And I want everything to keep running all the time.

Almost all items flow into this depot. Raw materials and smelted ores are either mined on site or shipped from smelting areas to where they are used. Anything made in a constructor is also made on site. In the depot things that are needed in other factories flow to outgoing truck stops. Once the outgoing truck stops are full, items flow to storage containers in a central mall. Once the storage container is full items are dumped to an awesome sink.

Putting another awesome sink at the factory location for overflow is a good idea that I will do as well.

Part of me thinks I should have just built the bare minimum to rush to trains before putting all this infrastructure in.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Alternately: jam everything into one space until it feels good

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Literally Kermit posted:

Alternately: jam everything into one space until it feels good

Put stuff onto stuff until you don't know where anything is anymore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mod for zip ties and those strips of paper with adhesive on one side that you write on and wrap around wires to know what goes where, please.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Realtalk signage would be a nice addition.

Not for organization or anything. I just want the ability to throw up huge billboards of bullshit to annoy my friends.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bussamove posted:

Not for organization or anything. I just want the ability to throw up huge billboards of bullshit to annoy my friends.

You can! They’ll just be really really big billboards :v:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bussamove posted:

There's a mod for that

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mayveena posted:

I try to avoid looking up the most optimal solutions for this game and factorio, but one thing I've found that lends itself to cleaner design is to start by setting up the assembler(s) for whatever end product I want to produce at a site and work backwards toward the initial inputs

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

I try to avoid looking up the most optimal solutions for this game and factorio, but one thing I've found that lends itself to cleaner design is to start by setting up the assembler(s) for whatever end product I want to produce at a site and work backwards toward the initial inputs

This is an important one, and another big one is to give yourself plenty of space. A lot of space. A lot of the time when I've got awkward spaghetti belts it's because I didn't have the room to make nice clean lines and I'm having to thread a needle through machinery to get stuff from A to B.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Or, more generally, look up how Manifolds work. That let me sail through all the current content.

One thing that I would now incorporate into my design is to always make screws on site and in line with the design.

So I might have a manifold for rubber or heat sinks or whatever, but the screws would come directly from a constructor making screws (from steel, preferably, but whatever works).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bussamove posted:

Some of the alternate recipes are just bafflingly useless like that. Usually the ones involving rubber or plastic.

Like they would be useful on a non-fixed map with at least randomized resource nodes. You could end up with some interesting resource scarcity issues. But without said resource scarcity using those alternates is just silly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah I don't want/need optimal but I've found with my spaghetti factories that I can only get so far before the whole thing becomes overwhelming. And I'd like to get to trains someday....

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Alkydere posted:

Like they would be useful on a non-fixed map with at least randomized resource nodes. You could end up with some interesting resource scarcity issues. But without said resource scarcity using those alternates is just silly.

Caterium Circuit Board is an amazing recipe that everyone should use. Quickwire cable is absurdly efficient for the last stages of the space elevator. Usually I just rush trains and cart in trainloads of 200 plastic/rubber per minute and that will cover me until I want to get outlandish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demon_Corsair posted:

My goal for this base was to have all my factories distributed and feeding a central hub. And I want everything to keep running all the time.

Almost all items flow into this depot. Raw materials and smelted ores are either mined on site or shipped from smelting areas to where they are used. Anything made in a constructor is also made on site. In the depot things that are needed in other factories flow to outgoing truck stops.

Having your factories stop at the assembler level is IMO the biggest part of your problem. That's the widest section of the overall production diagram. Assemblers make a ton of different items, so you are dealing with a *lot* of logistics complexity. Trains could manage it better, but even with trains I'd say that plan is making it harder on yourself.

I think an approach with distributed factories + centralized hub would need to focus a level higher if using trucks for transport. If your distributed factories are making computers or crystal oscillators you might still need to supply them with a material they don't make locally, but that's easy with one truck. And the output is small enough to deal with in the central hub.

Frida Call Me posted:

Caterium Circuit Board is an amazing recipe that everyone should use. Quickwire cable is absurdly efficient for the last stages of the space elevator. Usually I just rush trains and cart in trainloads of 200 plastic/rubber per minute and that will cover me until I want to get outlandish.

The alternate recipes they were talking about are things like rubber concrete or plastic iron plates, which are generally not very good. Particularly with oil products -- those have the problem that you're either fairly supply-constrained, or if you've gone into the complete chain that maximizes production with the recycled + diluted alt recipes it's a huge power investment. Or if you're farming tickets with end-game turbomotor production, they're both!

Caterium circuit board is an interesting one, but eating that much caterium on the circuit boards may be a drawback if you're also trying to do high-speed connectors & ai limiters as well. (Supercomputers have really good sink value, so IMO if you're going big into production of computer-type stuff you want to aim for supercomputers as your end product.)