Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Frida Call Me posted:

Caterium Circuit Board is an amazing recipe that everyone should use. Quickwire cable is absurdly efficient for the last stages of the space elevator. Usually I just rush trains and cart in trainloads of 200 plastic/rubber per minute and that will cover me until I want to get outlandish.

Yeah, I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about rubberized concrete, biomass to coal when there's no way to automate biomass generation. Or the electrode circuit board that uses rubber and petroleum coke.

I'm not talking about the good poo poo like caterium circuits or steel bolts. I'm just talking about how there are some really...weird choices for alternate recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Some of the weird alternate recipes can make sense when you consider it's not unusual to bring a line of caterium or quartz into your base prior to really needing them, but yeah the ones that require rubber or plastic make no sense because there's no way to make it to oil processing without all of those recipes being essentially obsoleted already. IMO nothing is a bigger offender than rubberized concrete, especially when wet concrete exists and both of those recipes are unlocked at pretty much the same time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Or the electrode circuit board that uses rubber and petroleum coke.

That one has a definitive upside - it lets you make circuit boards entirely out of oil.

Conversely, Silicone Circuit Boards are also good for not requiring oil at all, although quartz is ultimately a more limited resource.

Rubberised concrete and coated iron plates are the worst offenders, because iron is absolutely everywhere and you have no production need for large volumes of concrete. Seismic Nobelisk is up there too, for the similar reason of primarily supplying your personal use so there's much less benefit to making them happen faster for a fairly hefty cost.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'd like to see some biomass automation. Maybe you could make a hydroponic garden, powered by electricity and water, and get biomass out of it. It'd be impractical, because there are trees and twigs everywhere, but it's also important to be able to automate and such.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

bony tony posted:

I'd like to see some biomass automation. Maybe you could make a hydroponic garden, powered by electricity and water, and get biomass out of it. It'd be impractical, because there are trees and twigs everywhere, but it's also important to be able to automate and such.

Yeah, it's weird that there are so many alternate recipes surrounding biomass when it's a resource you only use at the beginning of the game and abandon as soon as you can transfer to coal power. Having completed my 10GW turbo fuel power plant over the weekend they could also stand to make geothermal generators much more useful or give them some kind of secondary functionality. For something that comes all the way at the end of its respective research tree and which costs a bunch of endgame materials to construct, 200MW added to the grid is barely noticeable.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so I just realized that the Factory Carts have:

-Auto-pilot

-1 inventory slot

-no fuel

-can go up steep slopes

-extremely cheap to make

Guess I just figured out how I'm getting quartz to my base!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A Moose posted:

so I just realized that the Factory Carts have:

-Auto-pilot

-1 inventory slot

-no fuel

-can go up steep slopes

-extremely cheap to make

Guess I just figured out how I'm getting quartz to my base!

Also low top speed, very tight available turning radius (e: meaning fewer autopilot fuckups)! A couple other posters have mentioned using them for low-volume stuff

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

For something that comes all the way at the end of its respective research tree and which costs a bunch of endgame materials to construct, 200MW added to the grid is barely noticeable.

On the upside they are #1 priority for energy usage meaning the rest of your generators get to scale down by a bit when they are added to your grid. Also if you cap every single geyser you have a permanent 3.6GW of power with no running infrastructure or operational cost. I once had an accidentally deleted chunk of conveyor kill my turbofuel setup and my 2GW coal line was not powerful enough to start all the refineries at once - I literally had to kill power to half my base and then power on the oil refineries in chunks of 3 to not blow the fuse while all the various bits came online - an additional 3.6GW at that point in time and I can just throw the switch without issue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, it's weird that there are so many alternate recipes surrounding biomass when it's a resource you only use at the beginning of the game and abandon as soon as you can transfer to coal power. Having completed my 10GW turbo fuel power plant over the weekend they could also stand to make geothermal generators much more useful or give them some kind of secondary functionality. For something that comes all the way at the end of its respective research tree and which costs a bunch of endgame materials to construct, 200MW added to the grid is barely noticeable.

When you know everything in advance because it's your second time through the game, you can use crash site loot + tickets + a spot of hand crafting to effectively sequence-break the MAM. Unlocking the caterium & quartz stuff way early is awesome, and having access to that stuff and the HD alt recipes before you build your first real base means you can be more productive from the start.

Going straight from bioburners to geothermal is probably only doable with the north forest start location, the other starts don't have enough geysers. But that's the best start for rushing advanced stuff anyways.

(Though liquid biofuel is still 100% pointless no matter what. Even if you ignore needing a refinery to produce it, a stack of 100 liquid biofuel has less energy than a stack of 200 solid biofuel logs.)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Super Rad posted:

On the upside they are #1 priority for energy usage meaning the rest of your generators get to scale down by a bit when they are added to your grid. Also if you cap every single geyser you have a permanent 3.6GW of power with no running infrastructure or operational cost. I once had an accidentally deleted chunk of conveyor kill my turbofuel setup and my 2GW coal line was not powerful enough to start all the refineries at once - I literally had to kill power to half my base and then power on the oil refineries in chunks of 3 to not blow the fuse while all the various bits came online - an additional 3.6GW at that point in time and I can just throw the switch without issue.
Yeah, I think the best usage for them, if you can be bothered, is to make a separate power grid entirely for all geysers, and then use that power to run your power plant (or at least part of it, depending on how big yours is). That way, even if the power trips, your fuel generators are still being fed so it's much easier to fix. You could also probably put some hypertube cannons on that same grid so you can to your power plant and back in the event of a trip.

Of course, if you always keep an eye on your power, and can run your base at 100% (eg all machines running at the same time), then you can just add the geysers to your main power to reduce consumption. I'm currently at 15.2/17 GW (though it's typically sitting at 7 GW used since i'm not sinking the overflow of my original base) so it may be time to expand the turbofuel area before trying to start building a proper RCU/supercomputer factory on the way to turbo motors.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, I think the best usage for them, if you can be bothered, is to make a separate power grid entirely for all geysers, and then use that power to run your power plant (or at least part of it, depending on how big yours is). That way, even if the power trips, your fuel generators are still being fed so it's much easier to fix. You could also probably put some hypertube cannons on that same grid so you can to your power plant and back in the event of a trip.

Of course, if you always keep an eye on your power, and can run your base at 100% (eg all machines running at the same time), then you can just add the geysers to your main power to reduce consumption. I'm currently at 15.2/17 GW (though it's typically sitting at 7 GW used since i'm not sinking the overflow of my original base) so it may be time to expand the turbofuel area before trying to start building a proper RCU/supercomputer factory on the way to turbo motors.

The more I've thought about the separate power grid / auxiliary generator idea the more I've come to the conclusion that it's not really useful at all.

There are two ways you can trip your grid: overloading your total generator MWs, and running dry on fuel. In the first case, you chop the power lines to some machines and turn it back on, and it just works. Your coal & fuel generators still have full internal buffers, there's coal on the belts and fuel & water in the pipes. It doesn't matter at all that the fuel refineries went down, because they'll easily restart once you get power use below your 17 GW and throw the switch.

If you have run dry on fuel, that means you have hosed Up your powerplant design. Having the refineries or whatnot still being fed by backup power makes it easier to recover, but you're just going to have the same problem over and over. Reduce the number of generators so that you don't consume more power than you make in fuel, problem solved.

Maybe I can see having some extra generators above your fuel production capacity when you're at the multi-GW level with turbofuel, just to absorb spikes if you have a shitload of trains or something else that produces very uneven power use. But even then there are smarter ways to handle it -- put your surplus generators behind a buffer, with a head lift gate so they can't drain the whole system.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

66 generators and it's still not burning all the turbofuel I'm creating. Already highly excessive for what I'm consuming at the moment but at least I won't have to worry about power while I finally build a giant manufacturer plant to craft all the late game items.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm having train problems. I had a simple point A to point B train set up, with a loop at each end and it was working. But there was a resource in between the points that I wanted to add a station for. Now I have it set to go from point A to point B, and then from point B, take a detour and hit point C, before merging back with the track between A and B again.

The problem is now every single time my train goes from point A to B, it takes a left turn and goes through point C the wrong way. Then it reaches point B, turns around, and then hits point C the right way, before going back to A.

I cant get it to stay right and just go straight from A to B. It does not matter which direction the switch is pointed, it only goes left toward C. I've deleted all 3 parts of the track twice and it still can't see the right rail. What am I doing wrong?

I found a reddit post from a year ago that said trains ignore switches unless you build the left track first, but I took it apart and rebuilt it and it still ignores the switch.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 14, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

I'm having train problems. I had a simple point A to point B train set up, with a loop at each end and it was working. But there was a resource in between the points that I wanted to add a station for. Now I have it set to go from point A to point B, and then from point B, take a detour and hit point C, before merging back with the track between A and B again.

The problem is now every single time my train goes from point A to B, it takes a left turn and goes through point C the wrong way. Then it reaches point B, turns around, and then hits point C the right way, before going back to A.

I cant get it to stay right and just go straight from A to B. It does not matter which direction the switch is pointed, it only goes left toward C. I've deleted all 3 parts of the track twice and it still can't see the right rail. What am I doing wrong?

I found a reddit post from a year ago that said trains ignore switches unless you build the left track first, but I took it apart and rebuilt it and it still ignores the switch.

Autopiloting trains ignore the switches entirely, they can choose either fork. The switches *only* operate on player-driven trains.

(So once you have a train network set up, the best way to get around by train is to tell the autopilot to go to a station and get up to stretch and refresh your drink.)

I'm not sure why your train is taking the route it is, my offhand guess is that the pathfinding method solves the route in a way that finds the single A-C-B line and not the A-B-C-B circle. Alternately, is your railway along the C route more level than the direct A-B rails? It's possible that they evaluate & avoid slopes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ah, I had no idea they just ignored switches. I have A in the south, B north, and then C is a little off to the west, so its supposed to be A-B-C-A and instead its going A-C-B-C-A but the first time it goes through C it goes through the station backwards and doesn't stop.

I think somehow it thinks going through C is a shortcut, it might have fewer hills that way. it's not a gamebreaking bug, but its annoying to look at.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The real root question is, how are your tracks setup? Is it a single track with dual-direction drive, or is it a two-track setup with either right-hand or left-hand drive? The latter are infinitely easier to set up as long as you are consistent in all your track layouts. The former can cause pathing problems if you have a signal on one side of the track but not the other, as the game will sometimes interpret a signal on one side of the track as that section of track being one-way. Hence the weird path.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

ah, I had no idea they just ignored switches. I have A in the south, B north, and then C is a little off to the west, so its supposed to be A-B-C-A and instead its going A-C-B-C-A but the first time it goes through C it goes through the station backwards and doesn't stop.

I think somehow it thinks going through C is a shortcut, it might have fewer hills that way. it's not a gamebreaking bug, but its annoying to look at.

Station direction doesn't block pathing, it just controls which side the train pulls into the station from. Having your stations pointed in one direction along some track doesn't make it one-way unless that's the only possible result.

I guess the way to check the shortcut hypothesis would be to make a train and tell it to go just from A to B, then ride along and see if it goes through C.

DelphiAegis posted:

The real root question is, how are your tracks setup? Is it a single track with dual-direction drive, or is it a two-track setup with either right-hand or left-hand drive? The latter are infinitely easier to set up as long as you are consistent in all your track layouts. The former can cause pathing problems if you have a signal on one side of the track but not the other, as the game will sometimes interpret a signal on one side of the track as that section of track being one-way. Hence the weird path.

lol wrong game

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was today years old when it finally occurred to me that hyper tubes were bi-directional. I went "I wonder if it'll let me put an entrance on both ends?" and it did. I'm so glad I got distracted with trains before I managed to make an entire second tube back.

also, this is the greatest game ever

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Space_Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale_Thing

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

A Moose posted:

I was today years old when it finally occurred to me that hyper tubes were bi-directional. I went "I wonder if it'll let me put an entrance on both ends?" and it did. I'm so glad I got distracted with trains before I managed to make an entire second tube back.
Rather than making what I assume is a very long tube, just make a Hyper Tube Cannon. Depending on the direction you angle them, you can use this to travel in a variety of areas from a single tube. If you don't have a jet pack yet, you can either try to use the jelly landing pads, or just build a horizontal wall to crash into, and then place a floor below the point that you hit that wall since fall damage is only based on vertical distance.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

lol wrong game

God damnit.

In my defense, I got too excited about trains.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
New teaser video for this week is up, this time "Better Jump Pads (and... other stuff 😉)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZwZtn4RHJg

The ceiling power connector is also new.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 15, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

lagidnam posted:

New teaser video for this week is up, this time "Better Jump Pads (and... other stuff 😉)"

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lagidnam posted:

I really hope the ceiling connector is just the existing wall connector but now it snaps to walls or foundations.

Also do the new jump pads look like they have a slightly smaller collision box? That would be super good. The tilt and aiming preview is fun, but most of the time I use jump pads they're just faster stairs. But I frequently have placement issues with the collision box. It works with the stairs but not if you're using walkways.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Klyith posted:

I really hope the ceiling connector is just the existing wall connector but now it snaps to walls or foundations.

Agreed, I'd be a little disappointed if it were its own object - I'm also hoping you can place them on the topsides of foundations as well.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

I set up a lot of coal and just hated it. It felt grindy in a way that the rest of the game didn't, despite being very very similar.

So I loaded up on GeoThermal components and went Hard Drive hunting, plopping them down on every geyser I passed. Maybe only got 2GW out of it, but it took me out of the crunch zone I had been in, and gave me the freedom to set up my 22GW turbofuel factory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mile'ionaha posted:

I set up a lot of coal and just hated it. It felt grindy in a way that the rest of the game didn't, despite being very very similar.

Amusingly, to me a coal power plant is the snack food of factory builds. Don't really need to plan anything, it's just 2 resources and there's no IO flow. Shove coal in, get power out. And since every coal plant is gonna end up looking like a block of generators I don't have to spend as much time on aesthetics. A coal powerplant is my come-down.

Also, my top tip for all types of power plants: overclock your generators. It's totally efficient, a unit of fuel always produces the same amount of electricity no matter what. You'll have to bust out the calculator to calculate fuel supply because OCing is non-linear, but for coal an easy point to use is 145% OC. This makes each generator use 19.97 coal/min and 59.91 water/min, so call it 20 and 60 so you'll never run dry. 5 generators per pipe is also nice and easy.

I can see how someone would find powerplants grindy for all the reasons I find them relaxing, but you can at least reduce it with slugs.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Just got this game, on tier 4 right Now. Is it straightforward ”2 mk1 conveyors equal 1 tier 2 conveyor” If you are low on steel? I have a few long likes which only need to transport fixed, about 120unit-a-minute production so can I just split it in the beginning and merge at the end and use Mark 1s in between to save steel?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Just got this game, on tier 4 right Now. Is it straightforward ”2 mk1 conveyors equal 1 tier 2 conveyor” If you are low on steel? I have a few long likes which only need to transport fixed, about 120unit-a-minute production so can I just split it in the beginning and merge at the end and use Mark 1s in between to save steel?

If I recall correctly a mark 2 is exactly double a mark 1 (120 to 60) but a mark 3 is more than double a mark 2 (270 to 120), and increasing exponentially from there. But since splitters can split into three that strategy will still work fine, aside from being a bit messy.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

If I recall correctly a mark 2 is exactly double a mark 1 (120 to 60) but a mark 3 is more than double a mark 2 (270 to 120), and increasing exponentially from there. But since splitters can split into three that strategy will still work fine, aside from being a bit messy.

Yea, I figured that with stackable conceyor poles Its only messy at beginning and end, and saves a ton of steel compared to the massive iron plate overflow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
By "save steel" do you mean save reinforced plates (used for 120/m mk2 belts)? Because steel beams (mk3 belts) are actually way easier to make than reinforced plates. A common thing people recommend once you're in steel is to stop bothering with mk2 belts at all -- if you need more than 60/m just go straight to mk3.

(If you're not producing enough steel, you should fix that!)

Using double or quad mk1 belts stacked up does work, but one thing to know is that belts cost CPU all the time, across the whole world. Each belt segment is a tiny amount but they add up. OTOH increasing the mk# does not. This has cured me of the OCD thing where you use 2 belts to make perfect 90 degree turns where 1 belt would work.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Klyith posted:

By "save steel" do you mean save reinforced plates (used for 120/m mk2 belts)? Because steel beams (mk3 belts) are actually way easier to make than reinforced plates. A common thing people recommend once you're in steel is to stop bothering with mk2 belts at all -- if you need more than 60/m just go straight to mk3.

(If you're not producing enough steel, you should fix that!)

Using double or quad mk1 belts stacked up does work, but one thing to know is that belts cost CPU all the time, across the whole world. Each belt segment is a tiny amount but they add up. OTOH increasing the mk# does not. This has cured me of the OCD thing where you use 2 belts to make perfect 90 degree turns where 1 belt would work.

Sorry meant saving mk3 conceyors. Yea, I noticed and skipped mk2 Almost entirely. The biggest reason was that my power was not allowing big steel production and I already had accumulated millions of iron plates, So steel was better off saved for more compressed high-volume lines.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
are there blueprints in this game yet? The only thing holding me back from really engaging with the game is how laborious building in 3d is. I always get coal set up and get exhausted with it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Impermanent posted:

are there blueprints in this game yet? The only thing holding me back from really engaging with the game is how laborious building in 3d is. I always get coal set up and get exhausted with it.

nope.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Impermanent posted:

No, and I get the impression that the devs would prefer to not have blueprints in general. (Other things that make building faster / easier yes, but not factorio blueprints.)

However there is a mod called Area Actions that does copy-paste, among other things. It doesn't have the most elegant UI at the moment.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

No, and I get the impression that the devs would prefer to not have blueprints in general. (Other things that make building faster / easier yes, but not factorio blueprints.)

However there is a mod called Area Actions that does copy-paste, among other things. It doesn't have the most elegant UI at the moment.

Still amazingly great, tho.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_vSyaBC-yI

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I kind of wish they hadn't done the song

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Just as I was thinking 'This needs the MGS3 theme', there it was.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
So... is that all for this update? Fluid stuff, ladders and floor/ceiling power stuff? I might sit this one out.