Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I rush to coal power and then deal with power fluctuations until I get a battery or two up.

Now I can focus on building my base proper so I can explore and determine what to do next.

Get away from biomass - it’s fun at first but really holds you back.

Plus I like exploring - doing whatever- and my factory chugs along making basic parts so it’s easy to get to next tech tree.

I meant to make a bunch of satellite factories but I’m afraid I’m making a giant map spanning spaghetti monster. Love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Giant cancerous spaghetti that cover the map is fine, you can just cover it all in foundations :)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I can't bring myself to waste anything, so I keep my biofuel setup, but eventually unlock Liquid Biofuel and turn all of it into that. So I have my "how did all this plant/animal matter get in my inventory" box that I empty everything into, then a series of smart splitters and constructors turn it all into biofuel, then into solid biofuel, then liquid. Before smart splitters I just have a bunch of different inputs for the different types of material. Before liquid biofuel I just use the solid biofuel for vehicle fuel

Its a pain but its not THAT bad. If you're clearing land to make a factory it makes a ton of material, and you don't need too many animal parts for MAM research so you can safely process like 90% of it into fuel

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

Giant cancerous spaghetti that cover the map is fine, you can just cover it all in foundations :)

That’s the coward’s way.

Display your spaghetti for the eyes of god, man, and passing FICSIT observation satellites to behold. Brazenly spit in the face of decency.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YBFCO1NMg

Finally got a release date for Update 5, coming on October 26 to Experimental.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How are people putting pipes and conveyor belts so neatly and uniformly next to/on top of each other? I know there's stackable mounts which is great but for pipes at least there seems to be no easy way to put pipe supports right next to each other other than being extremely anal about it and replacing the same two supports 15 times until they're perfect.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Thumbtacks posted:

How are people putting pipes and conveyor belts so neatly and uniformly next to/on top of each other? I know there's stackable mounts which is great but for pipes at least there seems to be no easy way to put pipe supports right next to each other other than being extremely anal about it and replacing the same two supports 15 times until they're perfect.

Supports and everything else should click into place on the build grid unless you're not building on foundations, you shouldn't be having issues trying to be pixel perfect with your placement. Might be able to offer advice if you post a picture of the issue you're having.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Pave the world

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

There's stackable pipe mounts too. Might be in the second tier of liquid management, might be in the ticket shop. Can't remember.

Edit: sorry, I think you already know this. The way it's written it seems like you only knew about stackable for conveyors

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 24, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh i should really be building on foundations then. i did not know there were stackable pipe mounts either, that would help. what i did for my coal factory was just a conveyor mount, put the pipe mount inside it, then ran the conveyor on top of it. but i'm oging to start expanding my factory placements soon which means more pipes, probably.

then agian maybe i should just have my generators over where the water already is, then i don't need to mess around with water pipes. is there any benefit at all to running water and coal all the way to my manufacturing area and putting the generators there instead of just building them at the water and running wires over?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

is there any benefit at all to running water and coal all the way to my manufacturing area

I've done this, learn from my regret. Best to take coal to water and then power to base by power lines.
You'll need coal for steel later on, so a minor benefit is having that access ready when you need it, but it's not worth the trouble. Have a separate power station.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah I may have to tear down like six hours of work from yesterday and just reroute some power lines and stuff. I started in the rocky desert I think and there was a big lake immediately north of it with like four coal deposits and two of them were pure, which was awesome. Might just gently caress that whole area up with a big power plant.

I'm unsure of how power lines work. I'm guessing they have a max capacity for power that can flow through them, but is that just the max capacity of the power source it's connected to? Like if I put a mark 2 power line down can I connect it to six coal generators and have one output line with like 450MW of usable power? Or do I need one power line for each generator?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

then agian maybe i should just have my generators over where the water already is, then i don't need to mess around with water pipes. is there any benefit at all to running water and coal all the way to my manufacturing area and putting the generators there instead of just building them at the water and running wires over?

Building next to the water is usually the best option since if you're running long pipes back to your manufacturing area you'll probably have to use pumps to get it there which means more power draw. There's no need to put your manufacturing and power production in the same place unless you're doing some sort of combined coal power/steel manufacturing thing. Don't want to spoil your exploration too much but if you started in the default grasslands area there's an area nearby with a bunch of coal nodes and a large body of water right next to them.

e:

quote:

I'm unsure of how power lines work. I'm guessing they have a max capacity for power that can flow through them, but is that just the max capacity of the power source it's connected to? Like if I put a mark 2 power line down can I connect it to six coal generators and have one output line with like 450MW of usable power? Or do I need one power line for each generator?

Power lines can hold infinite power, you can connect everything to one grid without having to worry. Mk. 1/2/3 power poles only effect how many wires can be connected to a single pole.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2021

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I'm pretty sure power lines just carry infinite power like every other factory game and please don't put any more ideas in their heads on this topic.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Ideally you want your entire power grid able to be snipped off with one line for easy restarting anyways.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Chadzok posted:

I'm pretty sure power lines just carry infinite power like every other factory game and please don't put any more ideas in their heads on this topic.

Oxygen Not Included is factory-game-adjacent and it has power lines that can be overloaded, and it is indeed a huge headache.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm not sure if rimworld lines get overloaded or just really love to burst into flames

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I'm not sure if rimworld lines get overloaded or just really love to burst into flames

They just randomly explode

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Chadzok posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FluidicPower

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

necrotic posted:

Pave the world

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
okay i built six generators and i have enough room to mirror it for another six and it shouldn't even take up that much space and then i just strung cable all the way over to my production areas. so much potential power...

I really need to redesign my iron area because it's super inefficient but I'll have to tear everything down for that to actually WORK so if I'm wrong about the materials needed for this I'm going to be sad.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I really want to get out of the Rocky Desert, ideally into the Dune Desert for space and flatness, but not tear down functioning infrastructure. I set up a first conveyor to the Northern Forest, for bus planning, and man, it was a pain in the rear end. This is gonna be fun, because I found satisfactory-calculator.com, which has a height map, that made me go :catstare:. Routing it to there eventually is gonna be a pain in the rear end.

--edit: I should probably just start over in the desert at tier 6.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 25, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The dune desert is not flat, it is in fact filled with massive sand dunes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I can’t loving believe I’m posting this, but maybe try trucks, divert the feeds from after smelting in your old place and set up vehicle routes. On top of improvements coming, I’ve been running four tractors for medium-haul stuff and not only have they not been poo poo, they’ve been completely fine.

Pretty sure last time I automated a vehicle route was when crude still came out of oil wells on conveyors in barrels, maybe I should have tried it before this…

Anyway, doing it that way leaves all your old poo poo which actually works intact, and relatively easy to reactivate but replacing the conveyors again. It’ll even keep making stuff as you take materials, until all the internal storages dry up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just found two pure iron nodes next to each other, hell yeah. Time to figure o what ratio of builds I need to maximize reinforced plates out of those, I need way more of them. Is there a website somewhere that will help me plan that out, I’m bad at math

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Just found two pure iron nodes next to each other, hell yeah. Time to figure o what ratio of builds I need to maximize reinforced plates out of those, I need way more of them. Is there a website somewhere that will help me plan that out, I’m bad at math

Hotkey N gives you a search bar which will let you look at recipes, and also if you put basic math into it, it becomes a calculator. There is also such a website, Satisfactory Calculator maybe? I've only used it once, for the map, to find Quartz.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m just so bad at math, I was tricked I thought this was a fun video game not a math problem. I’ll figure it out though, it’s all just ratios I guess.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
satisfactory-calculator.com is one of a couple options

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As the poster above me said: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ is a decent option. It’s probably the best one for visualization. It has a very hard time if youre trying to plan out very large factories though. I hit a brick wall once I decided to go nuts and I just started running the numbers myself for a while. Also be careful; I discovered recently that the recipe it has on the website for batteries is wrong. I don’t know if anything else is wrong that I know of, but just double check the recipes on the site with what’s in game, because it’s not perfectly up to date.

As a DSP veteran who moved to Satisfactory to play factory builder with a friend, I was bummed that my favorite DSP calculator didn’t have a version for Satisfactory. I looked again just the other day and viola, they had added a satisfactory calculator since I’d last looked. If you want a quick and dirty sheet of how much poo poo you need then I recommend this; https://factoriolab.github.io/list?p=bauxite*60&s=sfy&v=1 This one gives more options for setting goals beyond straight items/min but isn’t as good of a visualizer.

It also never hurts to do some napkin math of your own, really helps you understand these games. Eventually though I find myself doing more math than playing so I turn to calculators.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Also, if you retroactively have learned math in base 60, I bet that would really help.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

The dune desert is not flat, it is in fact filled with massive sand dunes.
Seemed flatter than the older places I drove to. Large surface without big rocks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alkydere posted:

It's a design decision to push the player into more advanced, more powerful alternatives.

Even more so, the reason that bio burners are an intentional PITA is to teach about power outages. Manually filling means running out of fuel, burners being crap means you probably overload once or twice while building stuff. The basic scenarios of power loss and having to restart the grid are nearly guaranteed to happen to players in the early game.

It's good to hammer that info in early, because each further step in power tech has greater potential consequences for loving up your power.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry that you guys have been tricked into thinking that not having belt fed biomass burners anywhere on the tech tree is a good or cool or interesting design choice instead of one of the biggest objective flaws of the vanilla game, but again, I'll wait for mods to update.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
That time again?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh neat, train tracks are power lines.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh neat, train tracks are power lines.

That's saved me a bunch of work. I have a train line more or less circling the map, delete some track and pop down a station (nothing even has to stop there), reconnect and you can pull power from it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Plastik posted:

I'm sorry that you guys have been tricked into thinking that not having belt fed biomass burners anywhere on the tech tree is a good or cool or interesting design choice instead of one of the biggest objective flaws of the vanilla game, but again, I'll wait for mods to update.

I'm sorry for anyone that has played enough of the game to feel this way, and yet can't figure out how to get coal running in under two hours. Like, even if I agreed that they were terrible game design, I'd rather complain about gas masks not working in cars or a dozen other things.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The way to make bio burners less bad is, weirdly enough using more of them.

Most players just build stuff, and when the grid is overloaded, they add another burner or two, repeat until you get coal power.
This means that the burners are always using fuel at close to the maximum rate.

If you build 3 times as many burners as you need, you still use the same amount of fuel, but the fuel in each one lasts 3 times as long.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

I'm sorry for anyone that has played enough of the game to feel this way, and yet can't figure out how to get coal running in under two hours. Like, even if I agreed that they were terrible game design, I'd rather complain about gas masks not working in cars or a dozen other things.

I can and do get coal working in under two hours, and in no way does that change or invalidate my point :confused:

E: I just want biomass to be useful as backup power once you've moved past it, rather than rapidly fading into near uselessness before being completely eclipsed in the late game.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy poo poo what an unintuitive pain in the rear end it is to set up an A-B train line.