Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Played two hours. So far it’s a very pretty game and it runs very smoothly on a 1070. But trying to route and place things from first person is annoying even with the limited grid snap. Also annoying how long it takes to progress from the early game into automation. It’s still seems faster to hand craft then let your machines take care of it especially since the low early power capacity really limits how much you can paralize production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just build another layer over it for trains. Never disassemble, just continuously pave the world.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

Cave train?

There is a cave with Quartz etc in the north but the entrances aren’t exactly nearby so you can see a pink squiggly line leading from it around to the west and then south to his base.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The lack of ability to easily copy-paste to scale up is really hurting my motivation to move into computer land.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Concrete is cheap. Pave the world in foundations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I hope the finished product will have quality of life tools like "auto-roof" that flood fills 8x8x1's. A flood paint tool which works on all connected walls with one click. And an upgrade tool that recursively upgrades connected belts. Obviously large scale copy/paste would be really useful too.

Also I hope they change it so you can continue sprinting while using the color gun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think the 8x8x1's also cost 6 concrete? I don't care about enforcing gravity. I build supports and walls and pave the world in layers because I like it aesthetically and I don't care if other people play "wrong" by minecraft easymode rules.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
By the time I got to trains the cost of track was tiny. But also by the time I got there there was no real reason for me to use trains because there aren’t enough end game goals to keep me interested in continuing to expand

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alternately don’t waste that effort and just make a line or a rectangle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I got distracted paving the world. One single grid to rule them all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

kanonvandekempen posted:

Do you do it this way just to save space at your actual base? It can't be about efficiency of transport, since one iron/copper ore smelts into one ingot.
EDIT: pretty happy to see wall power plugs in that video

There is also the benefit of factories at your resource nodes are generally far enough away to be unloaded, meaning they’re much less strain on your computer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cojawfee posted:

Why does nuclear waste keep getting dropped onto my base?

Its those drat power gamers taking advantage of default buy prices on the market! You gotta set your buy price lower than the default 1.000 coffee's, the going rate for nuclear waste disposal is 0.001 coffee's per unit, because its still absolutely worthless until update 5. I'm still annoyed about how slugs are floating at a 69.420 coffee's due to the item duplication glitch! Where do my slug hunting profit margins go!?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There is a discord

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The solution to all the problems is to first pave the world.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Volmarias posted:

Shoot, I tried that and it didn't go down, but I may have been too close to the edge. I'll try again, thanks!

Post a screenshot? It should be just like laying any other belt, just vertical. Shouldn't matter how close to edges you are, the lift will snap.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You can just type 15 in to the field if that's what you want ;)

It rounds to the closest number you can clock too :ssh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The rocky desert is still my favorite start. But I feel like this dune desert is going to carry me through experimental and stable until the production release.

All of you talking about following the land are missing out on the most beautiful part of Factorio Satisfactory: Paving the world. Smooth out all the wrinkles. There is only GRID. You must OBEY GRID. When you doubt EXPAND THE GRID. And now with scaffolding and railings and pillars I can make all my bridges and layers aesthetic. Find a staircase below into the twilight world under GRID of scaffolding and columns, eternally in shadow; drowning out all life to support the ever increasing consumption above. If you adjust the 50 minute game day cycle to real world time it still should only take less then a year for the planet to become consumed by the project and be replaced with one beautiful unending GRID

Totally unrelated, I am also most looking forward to a flood fill click-drag option for foundations and walls.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tenebrais posted:

No and yes.

Honestly I feel like the "big box in the sky" approach is just running away from the challenges the game represents. I prefer my concrete creep to follow the contours of the land, and have the hills and cliffs provide some natural boundaries to work around.

Oh the concrete creap does follow the land :getin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tenebrais posted:

I'd go for letting you click-and-drag a square field of them, personally. Since foundations form a 2D layer that would be no problem to control on a mouse screen. Would work for walls too.

Click drag zone filling for foundation, wall, and roof is something I desperately want.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

tranten posted:

The videos you’re watching are of an earlier version of the game. They’ve moved around where and when certain things are unlocked.
(Stairs suck)

Stairs are great aesthetically and wrap around the new column supports perfectly. They’re outdated as soon as you have tubes but every osha compliant factory needs code compliant fire exits after all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All but a rare few of the hard drive recipes are balanced to be better in some way.

There are the big ones that have huge benefits like compacted coal and stitched iron plate, but even the shorty ones are still either more efficient or faster, or allow a simplification of your supply chain or a way to recycle an overflow into something else.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You can become a youtube allstar if you start streaming satisfactory and aren't terrible.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The rocky desert in the NW is the best start. Very open, but with lots of clumps of biomass when you need it. Plenty of iron, copper, and limestone. An easy drive to the north-east for coal and quartz in one place. Lots of easy to access wrecks for hard drives.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also the burners only turn bio goo into power if that power is needed somewhere. Nothing in the game ever runs out so you can just walk away, and even if you die nothing is lost (you'll just have to retrieve your inventory from the corpse). So the devs just ditched a pause feature because "pausing" means your machines aren't making more stuff for you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PiCroft posted:

So I've just started this and I'm hooked - I'm wondering what the WIP artefacts are going to be used for if anyone knows?

Also, do people typically just build out over water for the factories? I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to make multi-storey factories just now and it took me until I built the coupon-producing building and shop to find stuff I'd have expected from a factory builder like walkways, stairs and the like, but my biggest problem is figuring out how to lay out the factory on uneven terrain.

Pave the world. Uneven terrain is for wildlife and scrubs, and you're neither.

(Don't actually pave everything like I habitually do, I just have OCD and find satisfaction in the complete destruction of nature. I even add things like support pillars and aesthetic truss structures to mentally justify my concrete wasteland. But I at least tend to hug the ground unlike those WRONG sky dwellers.)

ToxicFrog posted:

So do bushes/trees grow back eventually?

IIRC according to the devs wildlife far enough away from your influence will grow back its just not implemented yet. They tried like two experimental ago and it just ended up spawning monsters into your existing factories.

But also even without re spawning greenery, once you have the chainsaw and can collect wood you'll likely have more leaves and wood than you can reasonably get rid of. In my most recent game 8 hours in I just unlocked coal power and I've already got two containers of solid bio fuel stashed just from what I collected naturally. The world is insanely lush with nature to turn into black smoke.

Automate the three types of biomass recipes; leaves, wood, and carapace (once you have enough stockpiled for research purposes). Container -> Biomass assember -> container. Then add a -> Solid Biofuel assember -> container once you unlock that. Each tier gets more energy per original greenery.

And with alternate recipies biomass can be turned into biocoal instead of solid biofuel, which produces an absurd amount of coal when you need some in an area without a coal node. But being biomass it doesn't last forever in this edge case.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 23, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Contrary to the wiki I'm personally a fan of the ones that reduce the amount of parallel machines you need, like "bolted iron plate" since while it doesn't save resources like some of the others it makes the logistics far simpler. "Cast Screws" + "Bolted Iron Plate" + "Bolted Frame" is insanely compact and efficient. If you really need more resource efficiency its much easier to do it using the "pure" alternates at the ingot stage rather than the mess in the logistics.

neogeo0823 posted:

To elaborate a bit, you'll need some materials and/or power to open most of them. the ones that don't require anything typically are in areas covered by poison gas or are very hard to get to. If you wanna go hunting for them, my recommendation is to either bring a ton of beacons and mark what each one needs so you can get back to it later, or use this map. If you end up using the interactive map, you can upload your save and it'll show you all the poo poo you've built so far and grey out resource nodes you've built over or pods you've opened. It's a good map.

The map is awesome and super useful, but for your first play through its best to not use it unless you're extremely frustrated with something. My favorite parts of Satisfactory are the exploration moods. I still get that feeling sometimes even having seen everything at least once before.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Satisfactory is a game of exploration as much as it is a factory game. You've got 30km2 of unique custom crafted world to explore and that alone will take you a good 100 hours. The factory end goal is a nebulous "project" to turn the planet into yet another FixIt forge world but the gameplay loop itself by nature can't have a fixed end goal. And you destroy nature anyway.

Get it, explore the beautiful world, turn it into an industrial hellscape.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
An easy way have three water extractors feeding 8 coal plants is to have two lines each feeding 4 gens that independently go to pumps #1 & #3, with pump #2 T junctioned in the center feeding both. Since no individual pipe ever exceeds 300 you get full utilization without shards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LifeSunDeath posted:

There 's a trick in factorio where you use a splitter and circle stuff back on itself to align product on one side of the conveyor...it's really some early level stuff you gotta learn, but it can be worked around through more careful placement of grabbers...just not as efficiently.

More complex versions, but you can just loop a conveyor onto a straight piece and it'll feed all to one side of the conveyor it hops onto, no splitters needed.

Just gonna say it: Both of these are kludge fixes for doing something very wrong, and neither is ever once necessary in factorio. Both you and skeleton warrior seem like there was a missed core mechanic along the way. I know its incredibly frustrating as a player and also sympathetically frustrating for observers because to us its so easy to not have been frustrated in the first place.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fill an industrial container or two with product just in case

If you don’t have anything to make with the output once full redirect the input to a new factory. All your effort in the original factory is still good and valid and ready to turn back on if you ever run out of *checks notes* 4800 Parachutes?

Low level products like Reinforced plates are fine for early game tickets but higher tier items are exponentially worth more points. Only shred until you have the future industrial capacity to use the inputs for higher tier products

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Orvin posted:

Couple of questions:

1. Will the higher mark miners overbuild the lower mark miners? Or is there a size difference? Just wanting to know how much room to leave before any splitters for future proofing.

2. Will I unlock better smelters? Or is the base 30/min smelter it? Not unlocking anything more efficient would explain some of the alternate recipes I saw. My first reaction to iron ore + copper ore = iron ingots was “This seems like a waste”. But I kinda get it after playing a bit. Especially since I got the iron wire alternate recipe.

3. What tier unlocks a production facility that has a solid and liquid input? I unlocked an alternate recipe that uses water to make copper sheets, but I don’t seem to have the building available yet.

You can direct replace miners with their higher versions just like belts. Don't have to deconstruct anything.

Smelters never upgrade but the foundry and refinery have alternate recipes that are much better. The "Pure" series of refinery alt recipes give you about 2x the ingots from ore and are much faster, at the cost of using a refinery with lower power efficiency. Refinerys are the ones that use solid + liquid.

Leal posted:

drat getting rid of screws is a game changer, isn't it?

Depends on your design strategy. I think getting rid of rods is better because they're slow af and cast screws combine well with a lot of the improved alternate recipes. All the alternate recipes have some sort of use. They aren't all equally useful but even the worst ones are at least faster.

An example of this is bolted iron plate which I love but some people call trash:
90/min plates, 250/min screws produce 15 reinforced plate per minute, which combines perfectly with casted screws alternate @ 50/min screw production.
Comes out as five screw constructors linked by a tier 3 belt, and five (4.5 rounded up) plate constructors.
135 iron/min for the plates
12.5 iron/min for the screws
9.83 iron per reinforced plate with only one assembler

The real savior is actually the cast screw recipe because its the rods that take up the most space and time to make.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think it's the reason you're not getting power, but I think that pump/pipe setup won't be good for max power. The 3-pump to 8 coal setup I saw mentions you need the middle pump feeding between plants 4 & 5 because of max pipe capacity:

I use the same setup as him, three pumps to one header, exit right to 4 plants, exit left to another 4 plants. Maintains the 3 per 8 ratio while never overloading any pipe flow limits just fine.

I think theres just something miswired electrically because the belt and pipe setup looks fine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the audio cues for radiation damage are pretty weak, and if you have them muted then the screen effect is the only thing that will show and even that is mediocre.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is biofuel sustainable or do I need to beeline to coal?

Honestly i've never had a problem with biofuel even with dozens of burners.

Container -> Leaves to Biomass -> Biofuel -> Container
Container -> Wood to Biomass -> Biofuel -> 2-3 Containers
Container -> Carapace to biomass -> Biofuel -> 2-3 Containers

But I find it relaxing to take a tractor and a chainsaw into the forest and also habitually clear all wildlife around my factories so that when I pave nature I can do it in an aesthetic manor so early game I often run out of room in the input containers as the biofuel fills up.

And later I convert the lines to biocoal, which actually produces a ton more than you think once you no longer need biofuel but have piles of greenery to erase. Good for local steel production among other things.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The grasslands are a great example of closest rarely being the easiest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My big ask would be texture blending to turn all the greenery into dead polluted soil near your base over time + natural death of all nature within the field.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Paint Edit for how I set it up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LLSix posted:

The way a bunch of people play is wrong

Yes but also this

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

priznat posted:

Also is there any way to force the alignment of all the foundations so they will snap to each other even if they are placed far apart? I am having issues when joining distant buildings via road and while it just clips the foundations through I don’t like how it looks.

Unfortunately no, but you can do what I do and just build a concrete highway from your first base to every sub base, that will keep the global alignment. Mods make it much easier to let you mass construct things in a long line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If they are unidirectional then you can use them in line to the power poles to your waterpumps/oil wells/coal miners so that if the rest of the base goes down you've got some stored power to the things you need to create that power in the first place. Or you could just wire the input and output together and it just acts like a regular accumulator