Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well for factorio one of the best things you can do is put some concrete flooring down, by doing that you can align things and attach conveyors way easier than just by placing things on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
What I'd like is some kind of reverse mine, a structure similar to the 'AWESOME Sink'. Just a big bottomless pit you can build a machine on that just buries all the nuclear waste deep below the mantle. Just to make it extra hard, each load of waste has to be loaded into a container that requires seperate parts to make. Sounds like a possibility and I can imagine some of the hilariously dickish places they could put these.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Dissapointingly, that rocketlauncher is from a mod. Still a pretty good model all told.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of QOL stuff, I'd like to be able to see the snap lines for fluid pipes while standing on the ground, later on it's not so bad when you can jump onto split pipe sections with your bladerunners, but when you are setting up coal for the first time it's a real pain in the rear end.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the Crash sites should explode after you take out the hard drive, then we can use that land for other stuff. (That's probably a very silly approach, but there's no way of getting rid of them at the moment).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I always thought that using a refinery for a rudimentary bottling plant seemed like a waste. There are at least two mods of the game that are just for adding bottling plants so it was obviously a popular request.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of Hideous messes only I understand:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1472066704348714557/2876DA2301DB4F1DA8503066F4C3DB13CB6B459C/
I built the drat thing and I even I can't give heads or tails on whats happening in this one.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I personally stopped after I unlocked nuclear power, mainly because I didn't want to build a nuclear power plant when I had no need for all of that power. I'm guessing we'll be getting some super power-hungry buildings in the next major update to justify all of that infrastructure.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If you want to make the most out of your oil, I would definately reccomend getting on the Turbo-fuel train. You can squeeze so much efficiency from that, it's insane. I hope they don't change the recipe for it though, otherwise I am super screwed.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Usually the only thing that can "Ruin" a save is if they change some geometry or change a recipe that could mess up your factories.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I have petrolium coke production as that's what originally powered my oil base before I unlocked the Fuel Generators. I make so much extra that I had to set up a Awesome sink so it wouldn't clog up my rubber and plastic production, later on I sent it to my aluminium production area since I am way too far from any coal spots. People talk about Petrolium coke like it's the most complicated thing in the world, but it was literally part of the first oil setup I ever made.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Shame that most of it is going to waste when the next update arrives and changes many of the end-game recipes. Which is why I'm glad I didn't go this hard into making a huge factory.
Edit: Oh great job there Tombot, fantastic page header. slow clap

(context on previous page)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If it's any consolation, everything in that save was made using creative mode (At least infered from the stats in the save analyzer).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So is this just the engine update? I haven't really done much with the game to create any lag, so I don't think I'd notice any improvements.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They made a video with all of the stuff in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp77ih_XmkY

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I popped into the game to fix the issues I was going to have with my turbofuel, and I learned a couple of things... Some of the alternate recipes and main recipes have been swapped, if you have them both unlocked you can just swap them over and not worry about altering your production setup, this means that my aluminium production hasn't changed and neither has my heat sink production.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My plan is to build drones to deliver batteries to other drones. I hope I can find some Sulphur near the oil islands. I'm also wondering if its a good idea to save nuclear power till the final unlock so I can get right on Waste refining, seeing as I don't want to hide all of my waste only then to go back and fetch it all again for refining.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I saw in a video you can put a plutonium nuclear fuel cell into the awesome sink, giving us a sorta roundabout way of removing nuclear waste. We'll see how long that lasts for.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I only use trucks If I'm transporting a single resource a long distance down even terrain. Which to be honest sound exactly like what it's supposed to be used for. The one exception is the Truck that delivers all of the rubber, plastic and aluminium ingots from my oil area to my main base (which is some legacy weirdness I never bothered to change).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe your phone is threatening you with an orbital weapon of some kind.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If you find enough hard drives early on, you are almost guarunteed to get it as it only pulls recipes from a limited pool.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The only place I use anything bus related is where I build all of the complex components like the project assembly parts, to save space I build it vertically stacked on top of eachother using stackable conveyor poles and then use conveyor lifts to bring them down to the machines.

For some reason I am compelled for them to bring out the new update before I start playing again, the last update that redid the power kinda messed me up because it suddenly became a race against time to fix my power setup before my entire system blacked out and that kind of bummed me out.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 26, 2021

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My rail networks only have one train in each so I should be safe. But now I'm just imagining the mad scramble to disable the autopilot of every train in a map before they all scatter accross the landscape in huge flaming piles. I hope they also improve placing down the tracks, at the moment it's like trying to push a rope uphill and it's really frustrating.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I never had any problems with the truckstops, although I typically only use them to deliver ingots from distant mining areas, coal and the plastic and rubber components to my main construction area. Ironically all of my truckstops (except the one that delivers coal) is powered by cans of fuel which is delivered by train.

Incidentally, you don't need to supply fuel on both sides, just so long as the journey is not so vast that they can't make the return trip you'll only need to supply the one side. And if it is that far, you should just use trains

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Right now I'm holding off playing the game more until the full release version, this is because of an experience I had when they updated how the power works and I had to scramble to stop my entire base from shutting down. Huge sweeping changes could come to entire sections of the game and the more effort I put into making my base the more time it would take for me to fix everything.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Fortunately after looking at the map, I don't think anything I have built is even remotely close to the spire coast. Regardless I think it would be best that I put this game on hold until the 1.0 release in case I have to start again for any reason, I'm not a big fan of starting things from scratch.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If people want to see a cursed build, check out my copper area:

My other builds are nowhere near this awful, chalk it up to being an early build I suppose:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was going to make another suggestion, but that's probably correct.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Small question, did any of the previous Ficsmas setups from previous years start working again when this Ficsmas started? I completely tore my old one down so I never got to see.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
When I was playing this game I used the geyser powered energy generator solely for charging multiple batteries in case of a major power outage, I figured this would be the most responsible use for them. (I also named this area "Battery Park").

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Updates breaking saves and forcing me to restart is basically why I'm waiting for the full release before I start playing again, I'm not a big fan for restarting a game from scratch over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the idea of the biomass burners is that they are supposed to be an inconvenience, preventing you from straying too far from your base. The ultimate reward for moving on to coal is that you no longer need to bother with them anymore. Adding belts to them would likely cause new players to want to keep them as part of their power infrastructure.