Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just got into this game and it is a blast, I prefer the hands on feel vs the command queue in oxygen not included.

I think I’m just tier 2 now, churning put advanced wiring and plating for the space elevator. My strategy has evolved a few times, but it’s fun.

Is there a way to get ladders/vertical conveyers through the floor? Is this a later unlock? It’s kind of a pain when building 3+ story factories.

Also are the poison cloud areas with the stone pillars just always poison or can you clear them out? Might just make a big box around them if not. Got one kind of close to my space elevator, bad planning on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

You pretty much have to leave a full foundation hole for conveyors, other than sometimes filling with the diagonal corner pieces. But that doesn't always look good. There's a thing called the "foundation frame" in the awesome shop that often looks good as a vertical shaft for conveyor lifts if the main thing you want is better aesthetics. And the other method is to put a wall hole on the side of your factory, then run lifts up & down the outside.

Vertical factories are a bit annoying until you get to oil tech. My method is to build a stairwell and put a jump pad at the bottom as the express elevator. Jump pads now only consume power while they're recharging, so it's actually quite reasonable to hook them to a temporary bio burner while you're building.

The termite mound poison things are permanent. The flower things that stand up and spread poison can be removed with explosives. Also, walls don't block the poison clouds. If all you want is to keep yourself from wandering into the fart clouds it works, but you can't reduce the AoE.

The space elevator isn't permanent BTW. You can disassemble it like anything else if you want to reposition.

I don't care for the awesome shop mechanic because it seems like tickets take forever to get. I don't have a lot of scrap to dump I guess. Does it pay out more if you send refined stuff in? Like is it worth just sending in ingots if I don't need em etc.

I tried putting a jump pad at the bottom of the stairwell but it didn't seem to fit, do you have it lower so it doesn't hit the stairwell?

Debating just starting fresh with all the lessons learned from my first playthrough, haven't gotten too far but a lot of stuff is kind of "oh now I know how I should have done that".

Kind of wish there was an in game map too. Is there some technical reason why games like this and Subnautica don't have them or is it more of a design slight of hand thing about the map size. Subnautica would have been more difficult with depth/caves too I suppose.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good call on just keeping the save and not worrying about starting over, I kept on chugging and discovered a big oil patch.

However it’s pretty far from the main base across some pretty rugged hills. I’ve ramped most of the route I use the truck to go through, but was trying to decide the best way to being oil or refined products to my base:

1) pipes with pumps
2) encapsulate and conveyor it
3) encapsulate and truck it with autopilot (I haven’t tried autopiloting yet though and worry it may be janky)
4) refine in place and do 2/3 with the products

Any thoughts?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The real option is to just build your new base there, imo. If there's no metal nearby, conveyor it in. Much easier than moving liquids.

That’s what I was afraid of, haha. I will make a kick rear end tube transport between em though.

I can’t wait to get the controls to switch items on conveyors to do a big sorter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tamba posted:

5) Trains

This is something I haven’t unlocked yet, but I’m wondering what the benefit of the train is over a conveyor.. I guess you can ride it too, can it load a truck as well?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh cool that’s a nice way to send the items to whatever destination before there are any sorting controls.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I actually thought of starting a spreadsheet to track all the production lines from mining to end product to properly optimize, laff

I was playing cyberpunk2077 and marvelling over the massive pipes in some of the industrial areas. And then I realized I would rather be building on to my factory.

This game has really got me, man.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish the game had a signage option.

Lately I have been doing separate buildings for one item, simple ones for iron plates and bigger ones for encased steel beams, trying to get maximum efficiency given the raw material inputs. Before I was doing a bit of a massive factory that I would reconfigure based on what I wanted to produce but that is a hassle to scale up.

Trying to decide if that is the best way for manufacturers or create subfactories for the inputs and feed to a large multi floor factory with manufacturers and smart splitters for the inputs. I have to crank out a lot of control modules for the tier jump and those take a lot!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Being able to gang a bunch of buildings controls together would be pretty cool too so you can just set the output on one and it sets for all. That might be tricky and require a new mechanic though.

Any way to get rid of the escape pod debris or is it just forever sparking and flaming?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I was thinking about is a good demultiplexing setup so you can run one high speed conveyer and dump all the stuff on it and have it come out and use smart switches to direct them at the far end. The one thing is dealing with the overflow if it backs up say there is a burst of item A into an assembler and it is waiting for item B, how to clear out the jam reliably. The smart switches also do allow for an output if it is backed up, if I loop that back to merge it into the input line I am wondering if that will just keep circulating. I need to sketch this out I was just thinking about it while walking the dogs.

Also is there any way to force the alignment of all the foundations so they will snap to each other even if they are placed far apart? I am having issues when joining distant buildings via road and while it just clips the foundations through I don’t like how it looks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Unfortunately no, but you can do what I do and just build a concrete highway from your first base to every sub base, that will keep the global alignment. Mods make it much easier to let you mass construct things in a long line.

Ah dang. Are mods supported just by the Steam version? I got it on Epic due to a good deal + coupon.

Also I am attempting to make a massive tower to build a suspended bridge to get over a bunch of the maze like areas just for an easier conveyor setup. Those tube transports are my elevators for getting up to each floor! So far it is about 30 wall segments high, or maybe 36.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah thinking about it more, having a second line to a sink to dump the excess would probably be the way. With a well tuned setup there shouldn’t be that much at least.

I wish this game was a bit less jank in the wilderness areas especially with the dumb alien critters. Driving the truck and poof they just pop in. Hopefully some stuff like that will get smoothed over in the next update. Haven’t had this much fun in an early access game since Subnautica!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

I have used a mixed product belt as part of an actual production* line exactly once ever. That is in my small home base, which makes trivially small amounts of everything and so isn't hindered by the downsides. And even then I only went with the mixed belt because I re-configured it from a factory that build phase 2 of the elevator to the current everything factory job, without major changes to the building shell. So it has a super wonky layout.

*as opposed to a garbage collector belt that goes to the sink, or a belt collecting stuff for a storage rack

A mixed belt just isn't very useful for any sort of high scale production. Even when the items/min is no problem, when you're dealing with large blocks of 10 or 20 machines the question is why bother with it? If you're laying down a dozen copper rotor assemblers, and those need 26 copper sheet constructors, you should put the sheets next to the rotors and just hook them up, bing bang boom.

If you also need copper sheets for circuit boards, make more constructors over where the circuit board assemblers are. The idea of putting 100 copper sheet constructors somewhere and then moving the sheets in multiple directions is counterproductive in the long run. It may be faster to stamp out 100 constructors all at once, but now you have to track your supply and demand. That way lies madness.

Is the best method making the factories to make whatever you are after (ones requiring manufacturers) fairly self contained with only the resources coming in? That sounds interesting too. The tricky bit I find is getting the resources I need, especially coal/oil, near to where I want the factory to be..

Maybe I need to start making trains to run raw resources around but they seem pretty resource heavy to build!

There's probably no one right answer of course it's just fun to attempt to optimize as best as possible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Built a pretty sweet elevated train segment, but I am guessing the timetable only works for forward facing direction right? Is there a way to automate it without having a closed loop?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Postman posted:

Wow I finally picked up this game and I can't stop playing. Currently working on getting coal power worked into my mess of a factory. I wish I would have looked at the coupon store earlier!

Heck yeah it really grabs you.

I feel like I am cheesing the game when I construct 1m foundation square highways through the sky completely unsupported :haw:

Finally found a quartz mine! Pretty much the only thing this is useful for is crystal oscillators right?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah exploring using raised platforms is my way now, especially with the mod that lets you build a lot of platforms/walls in one go! Really streamlines things.

I also try to make permanent structures “supported” and even use reverse ramps to give the elevated train stations a cool tapered look.

I just did a complete ore to end product building for the crystal oscillators, it’s pretty sweet.

If the resource sites are spread out do ya’ll prefer to smelt to ore onsite and conveyor those to the manufacturers or just move the ore? I’m starting to think the former would be better, or use the foundry onsite as close to the two resources as possible and just ship in ingots or processed crystal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, that ACU facility is amazing!

I like how the manifold setup I went with for the manufacturers seems to be what most people use, I fiddled with it for a while to try to have a few in a row. Also useful for back to back!

Also I will put the mod I am using for the foundation/walls shortly when I’m at my computer, forget the name of it now.

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 3, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use the Smart! mod for the foundation tiling btw.

Checking out area action and factory skylines now!

Also I *just* realized you can check the power stuff on any power poles now, including resetting the breaker! I had been running back to power stations like a chump when I trip it! Although I'm expanding my gas power grid so it should be good for a while..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, the degree of difficulty really ramps up with the bauxite -> alclad panels production chain.. bauxite, coal/coke, water, quartz/silica, copper.. yowza.

I have to train in the silica because the one production spot is really far from the bauxite. Time to add more train stops!

If I have train stops in the middle of a line (not a loop) do I need to have the main train station bit on both ends so it can stop in it both directions?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nielsm posted:

Remember that this is all being changed in the next big update. If you build a big factory for alu, super computers, or turbo motors now, expect to need to rip it all up sooner or later.

That’s doing me a favour at this point, my main base factory is such a wacky spaghetti conveyor fest :haw:

Looking forward to an update just as an excuse to burn it all down. I haven’t even gotten to a supercomputer factory yet anyway!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trains are super fun but you do need to run a shitload of conveyors to them regardless :haw:

Why do they platform have dual inputs/outputs is it just to speed up the loading or will it segregate the goods on the same train car?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any fav Satisfactory streamers? I watched a couple of the “imkibitz” ones, or something like that and I liked his enthusiasm. Some interesting tips for layouts and ideas etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

He's not a streamer, but you should watch the series LGIO did on Satisfactory. First video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYYhL9Vt8o

Then go watch his other videos. Because they're amazing.

Oh my god these are amazing thank you!!

Lmao at his naming the train station and the text just floats on endlessly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah not streamers but edited videos really, that’s what I watch. Often a lot of the best humour comes from a good edit!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I decided to deconstruct my original setups because they have gotten too big and messy and lol there are a bunch of those item boxes hovering 3 levels in the air now :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

When using mass deconstruct, everything gets collected into one item box and the last thing you target will be where the box ends up.

(This can actually be used to cheese item transportation a bit, by highlighting some containers over there for deconstructing, then running here to add a random foundation or whatnot to your targets. Presto, everything gets teleported!)

Nice! that would have been good to know, haha.. I will leave them as floating storage bins until I need the contents and build a ladder up to them :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RichardA posted:

I like https://youtube.com/c/Scalti for nice looking layouts.

very nice!

Man I hope there is a QoL improvement for the power stuff. It really sucks when you are just building away and then something (?) kicks in that was previously idle and woops fuse tripped, and then it is a beeyatch to find the problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmmm that looks pretty neat!

Think I will do a new save now too just to start fresh (deconstructing all my old crap is a bit of a hassle) in anticipation of this.

For power prep would it be best to stick with coal for now if they’re going to increase the oil resources anyway?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like that Scalti guy’s youtubes for clean factories but the floating floors aren’t my thing, would probably put in frame foundations at least. The sandwich floors for belting are great though, gonna do that in new builds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Blueprints being being able to capture an entire system of built items for stamping them out?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It sounds like a nice QoL thing but because Satisfactory is so chill and there are no resource or time constraints I’m fine without it.

One thing I would like is better ability to combine splitters/mergers with conveyor lifts. So you could add a splitter/merge in the middle, etc. That’d be nice in some multi storey factories. I work around it but it would clean it up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m hoping you’re actually building parts for a starship that you can take to new planets to exploit/build on but that of course would be a heck of an explosion in the scope of the game which is already quite large with a fairly huge map.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh noooo a doggo found a plutonium container (I have not even gotten to tier 3 yet so I don't know where the hell that came from) so if it comes near me I get radiation poisoning. Do I have to lure it away and maroon it somewhere or will it just get something else in its inventory?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Whew, doggo-mergency solved! That wasn’t too bad to just plop the waste in an isolated spot.

Now I just unlocked coal (new save) and of course all the nodes are on top of the cliffs that are a bear to get to.

Also the Scalti factory building methods are pretty tricky if you aren’t enabling fly mode :haw:

I just have a mess of walkways going up the sides now for my rotor/reinforced plate/rotor plate factory and it looks awful but whatever!! Now that they are build I can come back and clean it up if I feel like optimizing some more.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

just fyi it’s all the same map so new saves are kind of pointless unless you just want to start fresh. But then you can just tear everything down and move.

Oh yeah I know, I just wanted to start fresh from the start. Not really any reason to and I could have just set off for this different area but it gives me something to putter around for to get to the top tiers when the update drops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I found some encased steel beams at one crash site and the next one required exactly those, worked out good!

I have been searching for crash sites so I can get as many alternative recipes as possible, also the late tier items you find there gives a lot of points at the sink for early ticket getting!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This isnt the best thread to ask about this, but has anyone looked at Dwarfheim? It sounds like Satisfactory + Dungeon Keeper.

I’m interested in checking out the new one from Coffee Stain, Valheim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly2P6powIjw

The trailer is so :rock: It should have black metal just playing ingame nonstop

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just built up a 100% efficient basic iron plate and rods factory last nite and it was really satisfying when done.

I had converted my previous less efficient one over to making reinforced plates and rotors but it turns out you still need rods and plates a lot of places!!

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Agean90 posted:

That's why I gave up on 100% efficiency and just shove excess into containers. I can just run the excess off for limited runs of stuff I either need for building or milestones. Might not be sustainable for long terms lines but for giving me a quick boost of stuff it works good.

Yeah I had done that but burned through my stockpile pretty fast. Now I will just leave the production going after I fill up a couple containers and pipe it into a sink so I can switch back to storing it if I run low! Plus it prevents power spike surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish that dune buggy unlocked earlier, it would be great for hunting for crash site hds to research. I need me some bolted steel frame alternate before i get to work on the versatile frameworks for the next space elevator tier!

I found some leafy cave entrance in the far NW that had a quartz mine spot and also a ton of those loving spider things which scared the bejeezuz out of me. Need to unlock the rifle to come back strapped for those fools (although the xeno basher is pretty effective on the small ones).