Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

All great, except my active save has its oil rigs out in a very distant desert-y area which may well be the area they talk about having moved oil deposits to the beach from.

I would describe my main installation as being near a place which could be a beach, though, so I will load in and scan before abandoning to restart; being able to deliver crude via mk4 belt rather than a 2.2km truck route would be dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Looks like they already detected and fixed both of those bugs in a patch but then had to roll back that patch because it somehow unintentionally deleted everyone's conveyor belts. Whoops. But at least they're working on it.

The first hotfix update last month deleted all the coal from every inventory slot in my save, including my own, vehicle cargo bays, and vehicle fuel slots.

I actually decided to re-embark rather than try to fix all of that, since it was my first start. In hindsight it wouldn't have been that big a deal I guess.

In other news, I started for a third time on since I didn't even check for saved games after installing the separate experimental client. I found one chunk of quartz but it only yielded 20 raw and I have yet to find another, though I've got a stack and a half of Bauxite, three stacks of SAM Ore, and enough sulfur from chunks that I was able to unlock and build demolitions, the rifle, and 30ish cartridges before going out to set up a sulfur outpost.

Would anyone in this thread be willing to give me the location of a quartz chunk relative to the sunken lake near the plains starting area, the one with four coal veins on the north shore, plus a Normal copper and a Pure iron about 250m west? I did quite a bit of perambulating to gather all the above poo poo and I really just want to play with the other new toys.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I was hoping for something less spoiler-y but as it turned out I had the willpower not to browse the map and instead to just filter it! And also there don't appear to be any chunks close enough to my lake that 1-2 lines of text could easily locate them. Sorry for using y'all as a search engine.

Also, I found Caterium during my exploration and analyzed both the ore and quickwire. Last time through I had a jetpack by the time I located some, so I'm using the Blade Runners for the first time. They're no jetpack but they will surely the gently caress do!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, appearances for splitters and mergers appears to have changed with one of the recent note-less patches to the Experimental. Noticed it while ripping out my initial-landing factory which was making regular modular frames and engines, the latter from a manually-loaded container of Stators which are made offsite. Now I have a dozen containers of end products, an empty expanse of concrete next to a space elevator, and a big-box building with three stories designed to spit out 720 iron ingots per minute for shipment elsewhere.

Thanks to a judicious use of the map I was provided earlier, I've got like 8-10 stacks of Pure Quartz and an outpost set up to start shipping as soon as I get around to drawing an autopilot route. It's a loving relief to finally have access to a map in-game, and once I pick a location for the central factory truck routes will finally be set up and I can start building radar towers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

The truck only "drives" when you're close enough to see it. It gets abstracted away when you're not near it. And when it's actually driving, it will teleport to where it should be if it gets stuck or behind when you leave.

Oh, so following them on their first run to make sure they don't fall over, and carefully ensuring that paths don't cross to eliminate collision risk are neither of them necessary or even helpful?! Figures.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

This game murdered my video card. :(

Sorry I needed just one more circuit board and I'm not carrying plastic...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah a Deconstruction Grenade would be pretty dope, maybe a scalable sphere/cube alt setting for the deconstruction tool?

Pretty important to have the ability to not rip out foundation tiles if the player doesn't want, but have it on hand if they do.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.

I would absolutely go throw that idea into their suggestions forum if such exists. Could easily have a separate button for each of these!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Honestly you should always complete your thorough rebuild before you tear out an old facility.

Cut off the raw material feeds to the old arrangements and slap together a storage yard to route all of your final products into, in order to drain any interstitial buffer cans as well as the internal inventories of machines and all the backed-up conveyors, head off to re-automate those products, then return for your teardown and sort all the parts you retrieve into the new storage area as well.

I actually wound up purpose-building a truck to manually haul the resulting storage inventory to my new HUB location and sorting it into personal storages, then deconstructing and storing the truck.

That was the last thing I did before the previous experimental went live, the final phase of a rebuild which turned my initial site into a three-story monster which spits out three mk4 belts of iron ingots per minute.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I had been in the middle of a rebuild when I stopped playing the experimental last time; I was just about to shortly automate heavy modular frames before deciding to do a drain-and-tear-down, then build a giant foundry block where my first factory is.

I've got reinforced iron plates and rotors up now; each required it's own six-constructor screw producer to support (I have an alt recipe which turns 15 Iron Ingots per minute into 90 screws per minute) and I just completed a third screw-ery since I have 56 screws/minute of production over what I'm consuming at the moment.

Fortunately I have enough crude coming in for 270 plastic/minute, and I intend to use every bit for max computer throughput, then do frames and heavy frames. After that it's just engines which I have about a thousand of in storage from my initial factory, setting up a truck route for caterium ingots and automating all of that poo poo. I get the feeling that my first train route will be to expand crude throughput in order to get the plastic to supply the caterium electronics installations, and also fuel power.

It's a slog having to play catch-up, but I'm only tapping 2/3ds of my iron smelters (1 short-haul tractor route per T3 belt, to ensure supply continuity) from the rebuild SNIP

--four hours later I am smoking a bowl on my porch, having realized when I got distracted while typing this that I had a 20/m reinforced plate setup, I was going to need at least 60, and also I have a special recipe which will produce 7.5/m/machine for the same cost in iron plates and subbing 75 Wire/m for the screws, which means one of my screw setups is free for retasking, and I had enough wire for circuit boards AND plates. Overclocking a mine is basically cheating!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So this game is looking drat good and would scratch one hell of an itch. After being burned on almost every single early access title I've bought into, and not wanting to touch anything Epic with a 10ft pole, I have to ask: Is it worth it?

I have found the Early Access to be thoroughly Satisfactory thus far.

Having another launcher is having another launcher. The UI for it is decent, it lacks a Gift feature for buying games for friends.

If you liked Factorio but wanted to crawl around on enormous blocky machines in a gorgeous alien Fern Gully, with less intricate belt spaghetti in terms of managing lanes a d merges but more demanding in terms of planning supply routes in 3D space, you might consider checking it out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah I have been buffering everything into the Mk2 storage cans; for screws each can gets 2x Mk3 belts worth of screw production and so I can draw up to that much for supply feeds to further manufacturing. I also have three cans stacked up for screws, all of them with 90-100% draws, as opposed to 120 iron rods per minute supply with like a 90 draw, and 90 plates with I think not even 60.

I've got all of the intermediate products buffering likewise before they feed out to elsewhere. Right now I am missing only stators and engines, and the encased steel beam feed to reinforced frames is coming from my initial one-machine personal-use supply instead of a real installation.

Belts can be pretty frustrating; we need to be able to use the mouse wheel or something while building a belt to increase or decrease the number of conveyor stackers at the destination location.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah it turns out that once you have petro-fuel the only thing which you NEED biofuel for is the chainsaw...which you only need to clear forest in such a fashion as to gather the materials for more biofuel ~

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah I have a central facility with easy access to iron, copper, limestone, and coal, which is right now eating a mk3 belt of copper, 3 of iron for iron parts, and most of another mk3 of iron for steel. It is on a platform over the lake immediately northwest of the plains landing area, the one with like 4 Pure coal seams on its northern shore.

I'm looking at doing poo poo like shipping Caterium and Quartz in volume now; for instance it is like 3 or 4 Caterium ore per ingot so I am smelting onsite before shipping that poo poo. Same for Quartz to a lesser extent: collapsing two ore into one useable Quartz means only pretty crystals get shipped.

Now that trains are a thing, and I am a few hours from having the remainder of my automation re-onlined, I might consider shipping copper to the Caterium site and bringing back just finished supercomputer parts, especially if there is copper conveniently close to the Cat works.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

Tre desert start isn’t low on biomass at all and is close to three pure coal nodes !!

Yeah I wound up building my one desert landing base on a platform out over a big forest with a nice stream running through it.

Well. A big partial forest anyway. ~Something~ happened to a big chunk of it!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Duodecimal posted:

Ah, drat. I had hoarded hard drives until around tier 5 or so before I cared enough to start breaking them open.

I've definitely found alternate recipes for parts I couldn't even make yet, so you lose nothing by analyzing them anytime you don't have something new or important to analyze.

But at the same time they all represent rolls on the loot table of alt recipes so you haven't lost anything with your approach.

There's even a case to be made for running them all at once before you undertake to rework all of your production around the current final tier of released content, so you can slam alt recipes into fresh builds instead of changing things peicemeal.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Ok, crash sites, I think I saw one of those before and just looted what was lying around and left again.

How do you handle power distribution? I'm running one set of poles as a backbone connecting generators with the grid then another set next to them as 'leaf' nodes that supply machines. Are there better poles later?

And is there a way to clear terrain? I have trouble visualising the factory in my head when I have to build over hills and valleys.

Some chunk of the wreckage lying around such a crash site, in most cases, can be interacted with. When hooked up to power, you can open the hatch and retrieve whatever is inside, frequently a hard drive which when analyzed at your HUB will give you a choice between three alternative recipes for parts, which take at least one different input and also tend to produce more pieces per minute.

That is as good an approach as any, and yes, once you manually mine and analyze a material which you don't get a scanner option for until you complete the analysis, you get the option to smelt that poo poo into ingots and then use it for various purposes including mkII power poles which have up to 7 connections. The name of the material is Caterium.

And sort of; you get the ability to build explosive charges which will destroy specific things and let you build where they were; frequently these are boulders blocking resource nodes. There is no actual terraforming as of yet, and the best approach to a pleasingly-level factory built on a regular grid is to build an elevated platform of Foundation tiles.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Seems a bit early in the development process to introduce the wildcard of modding, but maybe they're closer to release than I had thought, with 1-2 more content releases after December and then bug swatting/polish.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Build your machines in a nice, soothing, regular grid.

Then obliterate those aesthetics with a rat's nest mess of material feeds!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The second floor of my factory is held up entirely by one column of sheet metal walls. Oil receiving and processing is across a gulch, and it's supported entirely by clipping into a cliff wall.

The ability to, say, put up a 4-5 column wide wall section and tile it, or set up two boundary columns and flood-fill the space between is needed for me to get up the motivation to actually finish structures.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

At what point in the game do you no longer have to worry about manually providing power to your machines?

Don’t get me wrong, cutting stuff down with the chainsaw is fun and all, but it’s not exactly why I got into this game. And speaking of stuff the chainsaw cuts down, does that stuff grow back once you harvest it, or is it gone forever?

Teir 3, accessible after you build the space elevator, has Coal Power. Those generators have a conveyor feed.

Typically I will haul materials for 9 generators, foundations, poles, conveyors, and mines out to a coal deposit, dedicate one of the nodes to power, and name its beacon Battersea Station. My current embark has had that expand twice, to 27 generators, and really could use a dedicated petro-power outpost.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

Jesus christ. I want to just... fix it all

If it ain't broke, you cant fix it ~

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Factorio has a fixed perspective and no z-axis for buildings, some of the buildings in Satisfactory are so large that if you're standing on the same surface as them when placing them, their edges are WELL out of frame.

I professionally work with a lot of automated manufacturing machines and I appreciate that the scale of these sophisticated and modular devices relative to how large the player character feels in the game space feels viscerally correct, but once you are slamming down rows of T3 manufacturers and especially oil refineries it leads to this scale dissociation which would be appropriate if the scale of the game zoomed out at a certain point and you either weren't a body climbing around equipment to make connections, or were controlling one more like a platformer and less like an FPS.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I built a multi-bay shipping area for a centralized iron smelter that was pushing three full T4 belts of ingots; one stop for each belt.

The stops are stacked vertically with access ramps; by the third one the ramp was comically huge, and the structure looks extremely dumb from a distance. At least the smelter building looks appropriately like a big ugly industrial block, its shipping station looks like a sawn-off chunk of pyramid.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bobulus posted:

There's although a fourth starting location now? Has anyone tried it?

Started there and for scaling up serious production it’s going to take some serious logistics.

There’s enough iron in various places that I have long-distance T1 belts doing a lot of moving; I’ve built a big basic floor for my space elevator and moved my hub and inventory dump production in around it.

Access to bio matter is problematic in that there is a huge patch of it which is inconvenient to the iron I landed nearest; thing is that limestone and copper are both located in the oasis and so you have plenty of reasons to run into there while spamming E on grasses. That was enough to keep power on except for a few whoops moments until unlocking the chainsaw and the new solid biofuel step; even sparse smallish trees give enough matter to keep the place running until coal.

Access to water might be more serious.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So what I'm seeing is that each water source can provide 120 cubic meters per minute, at most, and each Coal plant consumes 45 cubic meters per minute when running flat out. I have been erecting 3 coal generators per 60/minute supply belt I can pull out of a mine, which means out on the far coast of the starting area, where there are 2 Impure, 1 Normal, and 1 Pure coal nodes, I have four groups of three generators, each fed by a water source with a pump. The power connections for the sources are such that I just need to deconstruct one cable to put them on their own isolated grid, so I can use burners to fill up all of the pipes and plants before I disconnect the burners and throw the big switch. It does mean that if I'm ever drawing over 800MW on this 900MW-capacity build, the factory is running on borrowed time until the extra water stored in the feed pipes is consumed and the source is being overdrawn by 15m3/m.

I've already started canning Steel Beams and Steel Pipes at a production area convenient to inland Coal and Iron deposits, so I'm close to Mk II miners and doubling coal power, which hopefully should be enough to get my first oil generators online.

Before that I'm going to be playing around with the new transit tube system; right now I've got the powerplant, the space elevator-HUB-canned production for everything up to Modular Frames, and the very new highlands steel operation. I just finished linking those last two via a huge stupid sky highway, so running the pipes themselves shouldn't be a big deal.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Can we feed nuclear waste to the ticket-printing machine?

I’ve been getting good results by feeding my Quartz and Silica into the printer, once they had filled up a storage can each, but so far I’ve only purchased the go-kart, which is great and hilarious and light enough that the seams between foundation blocks cause it to bounce around and wander off of a straight path if you’re just holding W.

Transit tube advice time: hooooooly poo poo are these great. It takes 1:22 by tube to get from my steelworks to the HUB/Space Elevator initial installation, and :56 to get from the HUB to the coastal power plant.

BUT! While those applications are great, tubes also offer an easy, safe, and fast way to get to the top or bottom of any obstacle or terrain feature, as long as you have been stringing power lines along with yourself. Any big rock or bluff that you can toss power poles and conveyors onto in order to keep the ground level clear for eventual trucks, you can with a few more clicks stand atop yourself for much finer placement; any wreckage, appealing berry patch, or resource node you can see, you can make it to and back without jumping puzzles or falling risk. loving. Phenomenal.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The factor which changed is the water requirement for the first fully-automated power option. You need megawatts to extract the water and the coal plants won’t kick on until they have it, so for that first hit of sweet dihydrogen monoxide, you need power other than the coal array.

A second, separate power grid which runs just fuel and water acquisition will absolutely work, but having backup burners just to spin the water extractors until their Coal plants are full is a lot less work to set up and won’t result in my logging in after a weekend of work and connecting the wrong poles, leaving me with no actual contingency, at the expense of requiring one to travel to the power plant, break the extractors away from the network, connect them to the backups, and then reconnect the water once the main grid is burning again.

Also, now that I’ve worked out a solid basic water supply protocol for coal power, I ought never to have that particular problem again; so long as I’m not pushing my grid to the edge of capacity at all times I am golden, and if I see that happening the remedy is to go double power again (up to 32 coal generators, surely I don’t need more than 1800 MW to get petro power up and running!)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Stayed up too late last night because I found crude oil very close to my giant stupid skyway’s line of travel, but two-and-change max-size conveyor lifts beneath it on the ground. Three hours later I’ve got a Foundation block stack leading one lift height up, then with a step and another set of lifts, to a comparatively small ramp which leads up to the skyway. The HUB -> Steelworks hypertube route now has a break in it next to the storage cans for oil products, which are fed by the lifts. Two extra sets of hyper tubes lead down to the oil production floor on one side and to a side platform which I used to get the right perspective for building the Foundation stacks, which itself also has a tube link to the oil floor and one to a small platform at the same elevation as the conveyor stairstep, for ease of installing future lifts.

There’s only one oil extractor, one refinery each for canning plastic and rubber, and another two refineries for processing the byproducts into petrofuel, but there are three more unused oil deposits and I had to be at work at 6am.

It’s hard to overstate how easy and convenient the tubes made putting together this worksite with its incredible amount of verticality. When I need to quadruple crude production to support Computer manufacturing and/or establish gas power, everything I need to get around is already there and the space for all of that poo poo is already mentally blocked out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Is aliens respawning a new thing? I remember they didnt used to. Made things rough until I could research medical inhalers.

nielsm posted:

They've always respawned in areas you haven't built in, but it seems they've turned the sensitivity down so you need more active machinery in an area for them to disappear.

Previously I could plop down a miner on a resource node from 50 meters away, leave it unpowered, run away and do something else, and when I came back all wildlife nearby was just gone. That doesn't work any longer.

I’ve got plasma dogs and gently caress-off pigs running at me out of foliage 10m away from miners and their conveyor setups, at this point. Before my tubes and skyway went up, I had to fight my way through the guards at my quartz patch, then AT LEAST two more packs of pigs and one of dogs just to get out to work on my steelworks and its raw material feeds.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

It's amazing how much windows help making buildings look like buildings.

Or, look like places humans belong, which I'm not entirely sure matches Ficsit's methods.

The one actual building I’ve ever constructed in this game did have windows, but was packed completely full of 720 ingots/min of smelters feeding three T3 output belts.

Given the amount of offgassing smelters appear to cause from their animation, I can only imagine what an unprotected, unaugmented human would experience trapped in there with everything running flat out.

Anyone else having equipment, especially Blade Runners, do wild poo poo animation wise while you’re traveling down hypertubes? It seems to sometimes happen with whatever tool I have in my hands when I jump in, but definitely my Runners are always sticking directly out from my thighs such that they clip out of the tube, or waving around wildly, or some such poo poo.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

The current bane of my existence is an elite plasma dog guarding the top of a mountain where I'm trying to go as it's the only relatively nearby place that has quartz crystals. Fucker has killed me so many times I have a hypertube built to get to my own corpse. I need to get sulfer research going so I can properly explode him with a rifle or nobelisks.

His green multi-shots are pretty to look at though. This is still a very pretty game.

Yeah, even just tubing around my initial refinery build the scenery is gorgeous as gently caress; my main route between steel and HUB installations is worth taking a look at every time I head back to do something; I bet starting in the forest would be frankly fantastic for tube-touring.

Also, last thing I did before logging off last night was to unlock and build both the rifle and cartridges. Time to archive my trusty Rebar Gun and the 2.5 stacks of ammo I have for it, then go hunting :getin:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Fans posted:

I always set up two containers, one for wood one for plants that turns their input into whatever the generators needs and dumps it all at a container right by them.

It’s not quite full automation but they last a long time so it’s good enough.

Full automation for early-game bio-burner power would require some kind of optionally-burner-charged, optionally-external-line-charged lumberjack structure with mobile drones that could go pick leaves and return them to station, with an upgrade included in the chainsaw unlock to let them harvest trees as well.

I think this would be cool, but considering that Factorio with its bot-based endgame exists and we haven’t seen any conversation about any kinds of drones yet, I’m getting the impression that the devs would rather not gently caress around with any more independently-pathing entities.

Also, completed my very first train loop in Satisfactory last night. Hoooly gently caress how are conveyors so straightforward, but rails so finicky?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I picked it too and it's so pretty. I also love the sort of central location because the last time I played was the grasslands and you had to walk like 3km for the oil.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s not that the location itself is more central to the map, it’s that there is a really wide variety of recourses within a kilometer of, well, the specific spot where I landed. And lots of breakable rocks of quartz, caterium, and sulfur as well, allowing the player to unlock and live down those trees a lot more quickly than I did in previous starts. I was mass-producing quickwire, polished quartz, and gunpowder before I had even unlocked the tier with the oil production unlock in it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There is definitely a conflict between "I could spend an hour building up more factory and then another hour waiting for it to make the parts I need" and "I can just spend an hour with a stapler on my spacebar and get to the next tier faster"

Thing is that if you go with the first option, that increased capacity is there for the rest of the game, ideally feeding into a storage can until that fills up and the whole line goes idle. Next time you need wodgets or squickydoos you can just grab six stacks and that empty space will probably be refilled by products on belts and in output hoppers within minutes.

I definitely do pick something I can handcraft quite a few of and leave a rock on my spacebar if I'm going to go do something else, but once I've slipped the surly bonds of biomass power and my factory starts really expanding in size, it's definitely going to produce a lot more of X than I will on the crafting bench in the same time period, unless my supply chain for X is a can-fed initial underbuild or has a serious problem somewhere in its dependencies.

Basically, build more factory in the factory-building game. I promise it's worth it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Just got a five-slot Expanded Pocket Dimension option from scanning a hard drive, didn't know that could actually happen.

There're a finite number of hard drives on the map, though, and I guess I always assumed based on no evidence that there would be fewer drives than alt recipes. If that is the case, doesn't seem like a great pick.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

Is there a way to use liquid fuels in vehicles?

If not, how are empty cans handled, just dumped in cargo? What if the cargo is full at the time?

From what I’ve seen loving around with the jet pack, the fuel containers are consumed along with the fuel, which makes it a very odd sort of jet pack, amongst fictional flying devices.

Making empty gas cans out of plastic is interesting I suppose, but a bunch of other products come with packaging which doesn’t need to be manufactured independently, so it sort of sticks out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wound up building an escalating stack of liquid buffers until I unlocked fuel generators, now I have four running off of residual fuel which consumes all of my residual oil and is slowly emptying out the stack of buffer tanks. I also have another 16 running off of two overclocked crude patches, so it will be noticeable but hopefully not critical if they choke on fuel, and I will know to go investigate power when I check the readout.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Wrr posted:

Got surprised at 3 health by one of those elite fire spitters.

Blew him up with a stick of dynamite.:cool:

Wait, I thought nobelisks couldn’t be used to damage wildlife?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I was skeptical about vehicle pathfinding when I first picked this game up, but provided you've got a wide enough cleared path it is pretty good. Actually recording the route can be pretty loving frustrating, also, and I found that following the autopilot tractor in my own tractor let me get a better idea of how the AI is interpreting the instructions, when the game is actively moving the vehicle around where the player can see, anyway.

Moving large amounts of materials between two remote outposts you rarely visit in person is basically the perfect application for vehicle autopilot, because at least as I understand it the movement is abstracted when there isn't a player present.